Thread: 1 man armies

Assistant Mod Mod Member GiantMonkeyMan's Avatar
    plymouth - scrubbing Beirut's toilet with a cat...

Default 1 man armies

is it me, or are most of the first person shooter games basically one man army games? i just watched the band of brothers series and thought that i would play call of duty: big red one... after about the first 2 missions on hard i realised that i had killed about 100 germans/italians...

i know it wouldn't be a very good game if you only killed one person per mission... but the soldiers that are supposed to be in your squad/company are a bunch of useless idiots that can't die because it isn't in the story line... i also thought i would make the game harder by having one-shot-one-kill on but there is no option! and also i am sick of the single pathway maps... i want open spaces where i can actually plan attacks! and the germans stupidly don't cover each other when they fire and instead just run about in big groups ready to be mowed down by you and your BAR/tompson...

(rant over)
    GMM

Default Re: 1 man armies

If it ever gets finished, Overlord might be what you want.

I don't really remember many other games of the type, short of Ghost Recon and Swat, but those tend to be a bit on the complex side.

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

I was very disappointed the first time I played CoD2 (the demo), haven't played any other WWII (or other 'realistic' shooters) before or since, it was just so disappointing. One man army, lineair level, not really dying,...

I really don't see what the hype is about

Far Cry is still the best fps I ever played (although I never did finish it, later levels aren't as interesting and the save point system doesn't suit short sessions). It's also the closest I felt to being a 'real' human being and not some uber-Rambo.
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

If you have never played Operation Flashpoint, you might want to have a look into Armed Assault, or just get OFP for some bargain price. It's not WW2, but there are thousands and thousands of addons and mods available.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Chief Biscuit Monitor Member professorspatula's Avatar

Until AI improves massively, there's little point in having a game where you have to rely upon your teammates for most of the game. Some games have fairly good squad AI, but it's still limited or insists of respawning allies (COD2 for example). I suspect as AI (especially team AI) becomes more of a selling point more and more FPS will have larger numbers of people on your side to help and be a criticial part of your success. But it's still generally better to have the player take the main roles throughout as they'd be nothing worse than failing a mission after 30 minutes of intense battle simply because your AI chums decided to take a trip across a minefield and promptly lost their legs... and arms.... and heads....
    Improving the TW Series one step at a time:

BI Extra Hordes & Unlocked Factions Mod: Available here.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

You probably know about the following games, as they are old but I have not found anything better:

I recommend Vietcong (the original, not Vietcong 2 which runs horribly on my PC). You usually have your squad and you have a lot of freedom where to move. Also has very varied missions and nice plot, and nice modelling of historical weapons. Made by the crew that produced Mafia, IIRC, a rather stunning game in itself.

Vietcong is essentially a shooter - you don't control your squad. The original Ghost Recon is a nice tactical shooter, where you can "possess" any member of your 6 man squad. You can plan and execute complex maneouvres with all 6 men. It's basically one shot, one kill - although personally I find that frustrating and prefer a bit more freedom. Again, very varied missions and passable plot. GR3 felt more like a traditional "run and gun" by comparison.
    Last edited by econ21; 10-12-2006 at 13:44.

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

The original Call of Duty, despite being touted as a "tactical shooter" of sorts, was STILL a One Man Army game. CoD2 improved it greatly, but it still felt like a One Man Army game.
    Operation Flashpoint is DEFINATELY not an OMA, and is a very good game if you want a tactical shooter, as one or two bullets will instantly kill you. You'll need the majority of your squad alive if you want to progress through the mission.
    That's what makes the OMA genre the way it is: health bars, or living through hails of bullets, or health pickups in any form. Operation Flashpoint has medics, but even if you get healed from a gunshot wound to the leg, you'll still be limping all throughout the mission.
    Good games that arent OMAs are Rainbow Six and the various incarnations (I love Rogue Spear and Ghost Recon), Operation Flashpoint (Much luv ), the SWAT series (I've only played 3), and Hidden & Dangerous (I thought the controls sucked, but it's rare to find a TACTICAL WWII shooter).

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kekvitirae
    Hidden & Dangerous (I thought the controls sucked, but it's rare to find a TACTICAL WWII shooter).
    That's available for free now isn't it ?
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

Operation Flashpoint and Ghost Recon are both good tactical shooters. However, they're still one many army games to a certain extent. You kill dozens of enemies throughout both games. And I recall a couple times in OF in which you're on your own.

Blog Entries

yes a couple of the SF Missions in OFP were played solo, and some with a few of Armstrong's missions, but... I wouldn't call them One-Man-Army missions in the least. For the most part Your Trying to Run Away from the Soviets without being spotted, and on the other hand your sneaking through the darkness trying to plant explosive charges before making a run for the hills. You get spotted once and its all over, you might kill the people who have spotted you, but one the other hand you'll probably have alerted guards or a BMP nearby that you can't kill.

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by doc_bean
    I bought H&D this year for 1€ at a book fare in Kortrijk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doc_bean
    Indeed it is, as it should have been in the first place. It had so many bugs at it's release, never seen anything like it. Wasn't even ready for the beta phase, and that for a full price

The game could have been awesome. If it worked.