Thread: 'Move with facing' command combo.

Smile 'Move with facing' command combo.

'Move with facing' command combo.

I remember back in STW and MTW, it was possible to command 'Move with facing' combo.
    We could command facing(Alt+mouse rt. button click) and move(Alt+mouse lt. button click) sequently. Then units successfully move position with facing.

But as I know, we couldnot do that any more, since RTW.
    If we order facing and immediately order again to move, units only move without facing.
    To be successful, we should wait for them to finish facing, and then re-order to move. - Actually, drag to the area is possible thou.

It's very inconvenience and ineffective, especially in battlefield.

Do any vets know about this downgrade?
    Last edited by BERSERK_Yas; 10-17-2006 at 04:30.

Research Shinobi Senior Member Tamur's Avatar

Default Re: 'Move with facing' command combo.

As far as I know Alt-clicking works in RTW in the same way as MTW/STW. And, since this was asked in the Med2 forum, I am assuming it will be the same with Medieval 2.

However, the specific instance you mention (of setting facing for a unit and then ordering them to move before they have completed the facing move) makes me wonder. I rarely do this, being more of a drag-formations type of player.

It's a bit late here to be experimenting, but if no one else has a definitive answer I'll give it a go after a little sleep...
    "Die Wahrheit ruht in Gott / Uns bleibt das Forschen." Johann von Müller

king of my kingdom Member DVX BELLORVM's Avatar

I just checked in the demo, the Alt-Right click combination works.

Member Member Lord of the Isles's Avatar

Been trying to find a thread from around the time of the RTW demo time that went into this subject but can't get it yet.

The command interface did change slightly (and for the worse) between STW/MTW and RTW. There's Berserk_Yas' point about the inability to do a few of the more complex (but useful) things that STW/MTW allowed, like control an entire group's move and the facing they have both during and after the move.

DVX BELLORVM, in STW/MTW, alt-RightMouse caused the group to face to the spot you clicked on. That isn't the case in RTW/M2TW (IIRC, it moves to that spot and reforms with it's current facing).

Another one that I really miss: you select a group and drag it out, keeping the left mouse button down. Now clicks on the right mouse button caused it to toggle between redrawing with frontages relative to the original unit numbers/size and redrawing with depth constant but frontages adjusted to the current unit size. So handy late in battles when some units much reduced in numbers.

king of my kingdom Member DVX BELLORVM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Isles
    DVX BELLORVM, in STW/MTW, alt-RightMouse caused the group to face to the spot you clicked on. That isn't the case in RTW/M2TW (IIRC, it moves to that spot and reforms with it's current facing).
    Unfortunately, I've never played STW/MTW. In RTW, if you just right-click on a spot, the group faces towards that spot. With Alt-right click the group keeps its original facing. As far as I could see, the M2TW demo behaves in the same manner.

This has been an issue for some time. Alt/right click DOES work in RTW, even if you form groups with your army. Drag and drop also does the same thing and you can change the command or destination while they march without affecting unit deployment. Things go wrong when less than all is selected (EG 2 groups from a total of 4). The greatest loss was the left drag and right click to arrange units in equal depth as Lord of the Isles has mentioned

.......Orda

On the other hand the biggest gain was the split up between left-click = select, right click = command. But yeah that what you mentioned, Orda, really is something I am missing. But this miss does allow for using complex formations somewhat easier.

I also found that recovering from a battle was much faster now too, even in the case of badly hurt units when you can quickly ungroup, redraw lines, regroup.

No, RTW had more urgent other problems that ruined MP IMO than the difference in control.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempiic
    No, RTW had more urgent other problems that ruined MP IMO than the difference in control.
    Very true

.....Orda

I thought alt-click was for when you wanted your strelcy to charge the back of enemy line, seemed to do the trick for me at least

Kalle
    Playing computer strategy games of course, history, got a masters degree, outdoor living and nature, reading, movies wining and dining and much much more.