Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Campaign maps

Post Campaign maps

Differences to RTW

No land/water ratio limit?
    Max size for regions is still 510 *510 but the amount of water doesn't appear to be causing crashes anymore. Tested this out yesterday with a map that used to crash if more water was added. Don't know if limit has completely gone but certainly much higher now.
    -- wilddog

corrected_regions.tga not generated
    It looks like the old corrected regions.TGA is no longer generated which is a real pain as now you can't easily spot unintentional land bridges or where amending the height map has changed the regions file.
    -- wilddog

Maximum number of map regions is 198 (plus 2 sea regions)
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 03-13-2007 at 13:16. Reason: Adding Alpaca's hardcoded discovery

Default Re: Campaign maps

One thing I've noticed or rather not noticed.

It looks like the old corrected regions.TGA is no longer generated which is a real pain as now you can't easily spot unintentional land bridges or where amending the height map has changed the regions file.

Harbinger of... saliva Member alpaca's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wilddog
    One thing I've noticed or rather not noticed.

Aren't land bridges shown on the map now? Should be fairly easy to spot after starting the game.
    But yes, that file was always useful.

were land bridges in RTW placed using green in the map_features.tga?

blaaaaaaaaaarg! Senior Member Lusted's Avatar

No, landbridges were done by editing the regions.

So did they do a new form of land bridge?
    All the land bridges show up in the map features tga as green

Green? Can you give me a screenshot?

Thanks. Why is all of America a cliff though?

dont know if its a cliff or just prevents certain ship types
    read you need a special ship to get to america
    larger ship late in the game from what Ive read

Quote Originally Posted by Alpaca
    Aren't land bridges shown on the map now? Should be fairly easy to spot after starting the game.
    But yes, that file was always useful.
    Alpaca
    The problem without the corrected regions is that you are in a guessing game as to how the game will decide which combination of height map pixels forms a land map square in regions - which makes it more awkward to work out positioning of cities.

Whilst the features map contols the 'new' land bridge' feature I don't know whether its disallowed any of the old diagonal connection land bridges (I haven't checked but I doubt it) and its this connection which is a pain to spot without the corrected regions map.

Of course the reason for no corrected regions map maybe because you can continue a campaign game with several of the maps changed eg features, heights even the terrain text file (ie no need to kill the map.rwm file).

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

In RTW landbridges were made by exploiting a small bug in the game. In M2TW, they've been made official and are displayed on the campaign map as green arrows.

Insanity perhaps is inevitable Member shifty157's Avatar

Is there a limit to the span of a land bridge? Or could you make it as long as you want? Connecting any two points and going over any terrain?

Honner et Fidelite Member repman's Avatar

I included new ones in my minimod Deus lo vult, and think they can be as long as you want

repman

BareBonesWars 8.1 for RTW 1.5
    Integration Mod which combines unique strategic challenges due to a 4 Season scripted campaign from 280 BC - 180 AD on several big/small maps and with an ruthless AI on the battlefield.
    Deus lo Vult DLV 5.3 for MTW II 1.2
    All factions playable, Ireland+Flanders+Kiev+Lithuania+TeutonicOrder+Armenia+Crusader +Georgia,1y2t script, army field costs, Ultimate AI 1.6.1, big map, military career system, age simulation, heraldic system, new factions, garrison script, Crowns + Swords, Trait bugfixer, ancillary enhancements, darth battle mechanics

I tried just adding a new one between Corsica and Sardinia but it didn't appear. Is there more to this than just adding a three-pixel green line to map_features.tga and regenerating your map.rwm?
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

Honner et Fidelite Member repman's Avatar

@EP
    strange it works fine in my minimod. only necessary to change the pixel to green in the features tga.

repman

BareBonesWars 8.1 for RTW 1.5
    Integration Mod which combines unique strategic challenges due to a 4 Season scripted campaign from 280 BC - 180 AD on several big/small maps and with an ruthless AI on the battlefield.
    Deus lo Vult DLV 5.3 for MTW II 1.2
    All factions playable, Ireland+Flanders+Kiev+Lithuania+TeutonicOrder+Armenia+Crusader +Georgia,1y2t script, army field costs, Ultimate AI 1.6.1, big map, military career system, age simulation, heraldic system, new factions, garrison script, Crowns + Swords, Trait bugfixer, ancillary enhancements, darth battle mechanics

Insanity perhaps is inevitable Member shifty157's Avatar

Perhaps its where the bridge starts? Does the bridge need to start on land or on water?

I think they are pretty much likely to crash if it ends on sea or river (haven't tried any other impassible). It will also generate if you start well in land by mistake - but may lead to some instability.

Length is pretty much determined by how far you can walk as you have to cross it in one go. Haven't tested what happens if someone blocks at the other end and you retreat or lose a fight - may be CTD as at least on a retreat you are likely on a long land bridge not to have enough movement back to make it!

Example below

note you can cross the bridge above I was just testing alpacas 'heights to regions' tiles theory with this little map of the bristol channel.
    Last edited by wilddog; 11-23-2006 at 23:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin's Apprentice
    dont know if its a cliff or just prevents certain ship types
    read you need a special ship to get to america
    larger ship late in the game from what Ive read
    The cliffs were probably how they intended it originally, maybe - but the real stopper for early ships is the deep ocean (darker red colours) in groundtypes, replace those with shallow water red and any early ship can go across, no problem.

So that distinction in ocean depth really works now, compared with RTW.

Wimpy of the Sore Ass Member WImPyTjeH's Avatar

The color is darker because they edited the water surface file to make it more realistic - they just made the middle ocean impassible. Try it out yourself, you can even make the sea red :)

W
    Proud supporter of The Fourth Age: Total War
    Mod Realms - News about and home for fantastical and historical mods
    The Chamber of Records - The site dedicated to the Lore of J.R.R. Tolkien
    - The Hearts Of Men Find No Comfort In Peace ... -

Burns: I still have a hard time figuring out what the heck his name is or means...
    Apoc: Yes, I have wondered that, as well. A Google search brought up:
    Wimpy Tjeh: The great Belgian warrior, most famous for dropping his pants at the Battle of Someplaceinbelgumandnotinthenetherlands, and shouting to the Roman archers: 'Here's a target for jeh!' Also known as Wimpy of the Sore Ass.

Quote Originally Posted by WImPyTjeH
    The color is darker because they edited the water surface file to make it more realistic - they just made the middle ocean impassible. Try it out yourself, you can even make the sea red :)

W
    That water_surface.tga you are talking about - I know that - been making maps for quite some time now, thanks.

I meant changing RGB values 64 0 0 (deep ocean) and 128 0 0 (medium, just for good measure, not really necessary IIRC) to 196 0 0 (shallow sea) in map_groundtypes.tga. This removes the barrier to sail to America right from the start of the game.

You know, you can make faces in the landscape, or write your logo with mountains, or have a woodpanel landscape everywhere. But changing the watercolour is fun, too... :)

Smile Re: Campaign maps

Alpaca
    The problem without the corrected regions is that you are in a guessing game as to how the game will decide which combination of height map pixels forms a land map square in regions - which makes it more awkward to work out positioning of cities.

Whilst the features map contols the 'new' land bridge' feature I don't know whether its disallowed any of the old diagonal connection land bridges (I haven't checked but I doubt it) and its this connection which is a pain to spot without the corrected regions map.

Of course the reason for no corrected regions map maybe because you can continue a campaign game with several of the maps changed eg features, heights even the terrain text file (ie no need to kill the map.rwm file).
    O really so you dont need to delete the RWM file thats cool saves some time .

Miak
    For some reason not deleting the RWM worked when I was creating a really basic map. However when I then started adding more and more to it I then needed to delete the RWM file so sorry for the mis-information it looks like you still need to delete the RWM.

What are the maximum campaign map demensions allowed? My map is 513x601 (heights.tga, ect) and heights, climates and ground_types always returns an error in the logs.

max size for Heights.tga is 1021x1021 which means 510x510 for regions.

Thee is text file in the base folder which must contain the equivalent region size. Its the descr_terrain.txt

dimensions
    {
    width 510
    height 510
    }

Now are most of you guys succeeding in editing the current campaign map or have any of you been able to get a totally NEW campaign map working? I'm finding it quite.. hmm... unworking. If thats even a word.

Burns, Mine is totally new.

Burns, Mine is totally new.

That's beautiful, when are you releasing it? ;)

D Wilson

Thanks for the comment.

Its for my Princes, Kings and Heroes mod but is still a long long way off before it will be released.

Great map wilddog. How did you create it? BDH method?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast