Thread: Urgent Virus Alert!

Senior Member Senior Member Obake's Avatar

I know that I haven't been active in the forum for quite some time for personal reasons. I felt it imperative to post this immediately though.

(Moderators, I chose this forum due to the volume of traffic as opposed to the Tech support forum. I hope that you'll agree with me and leave this here!)

I have just received notification of a new and potentially serious virus from the US Army Computer Emergency Response Team. This virus is called W32.Magistr.24876@

It is a network aware worm that is particularly brutal. As many of you may not be total tech heads I'll stay superficial, but I can't stress enough the importance of updating your virus protection immediately.

W32.Magistr will overwrite your hard drive, flash your BIOS and erase your CMOS. It will also mail itself to everyone in your Outlook (and Express) address book and also in your "Sent" folder. This virus is very difficult to detect because is uses a program (anti-heuristics for us geeks) that allows it to avoid detection by anti-virus software. It also has the ability to generate a variable subject line which makes it harder to detect (polymorphic) and can carry up to 6 different payloads. The US Army (whom many of you know I work for) has blocked all non-mission critical E-mail attachments until further notice. It has also been suggested that all downloads of .exe files and FTP files transfers be stopped.

For those of you who want more specific information on what this Worm does, here is a link to the virus description from the Symantec site: http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ven...2.magistr.html

------------------
    FearObake
    I am the ghost of your fears.
    Got a compliment or concern about a Fearful Ways member? Let us know about it HERE
    Obake

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Senior Member Senior Member Shiro's Avatar

That's real bad. Hate for that to happen to me.
    "Everything Shiro said sounds good to me."
    -Solypsist
    "Catiline is the one with the black rag and Shiro is erm...the other one..."
    -Tosa

Thanks for the warning Obake!

Um, superficially speaking, what does one do to defend against this? I am on a network through school, and got that Anna Kournikova (sp.?) virus from it. Just not open e-mail for a while?
    Thanks Obake. Why these idiots do these viruses I'll never fathom...

This is a tough one to defend against Contubernalis because it can show up in so many different forms (ie different subject lines, different payloads, etc.). My suggestion would be to keep your Anti-virus software updated.

Practically speaking, I would not open any attachments you receive as part of an E-mail for at least the next couple of weeks. If your schools administrators have even half a brain, they can set your E-mail servers to automatically strip any attachments coming in from outside of the school as well as from within. I would also avoid doing any kind of program downloads (.exe files) or FTP transfers.

Fortunately this particular virus is not yet that widespread, but it only takes one. Reading E-mail is still fine, just be careful. As long as you are aware of what can happen, you're half way to surviving.

------------------
    FearObake
    Got a compliment or concern about a Fearful Ways member? Let us know about it HERE
    Obake

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Thanks Obake, I'll stay on alert.

------------------
    Honour to Clan No Fear.

Visit my resource centre at:

http://terazawa.totalwar.org/

Oh boy. Thanks for thinking of us Obake.

MizuYuuki ~~~
    Clan Takiyama ~~~

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Thank ye Obake.

Senior Member Senior Member FwSeal's Avatar

Its great to see you in the area, Okabe - too bad its as the bearer of bad tidings...

Thanks for the warning.
    “You know the sound of thunder Mrs. Garret."
    "Ofcourse"
    "Can you imagine that sound if I asked you to?"
    "Yes I can Mr. Hickok."
    "Your husband and me had this talk, and I told him to head home to avoid a dark result. But I didn't say it in thunder. Ma'am, listen to the thunder.”

So is it not safe to download from websites now?

------------------
    "Failure is not an option"
    I will be Baron of the world.

No more new custom maps for now.

------------------
    A great warrior never reveal his true skills....
    A great warrior rarely reveal his true skills....

You're welcome everyone. Seal-san thanks for the warm wishes.

To Wolf and Tenchi in particular, as long as you have an anti-virus program in place that has the current definition files, I wouldn't worry too much about downloading ZIP files from Web sites. All of the major programs will scan zipped files. I would strongly urge everyone to NOT download any type of executable until this thing is under control. Map files Tenchi do not include .exe's and are therefore relatively safe. The smart thing would be for all of the map makers (Tosa, Krae, et al) to hold off putting up any new maps for a couple of weeks in order to ensure the safety of the community as a whole.

I will be out of town all of next week, but if there is an update on this situation and I have the opportunity I will keep you all posted.

------------------
    FearObake
    Obake