Thread: A Fox on the Run

Default A Fox on the Run

This is a "prequel" to "A Fox in the Desert". All comments are appreciated.

An old man sat down with his young son. He caressed the boy’s hair as he spoke, “Hermann, I have decided that you will go to Rome and learn the ways of our ancient enemy. You will speak their language, wear their clothes and no doubt they will give you a Roman name. However, you should never forget that you are a proud German first. To inspire your pride, I will now tell you the story of the greatest of our ancestors, the one and only, truly original, Slobberdegullion.” The man picked up an ageless scroll and carefully unwrapped it as he slowly read, “And now for something completely different…”

The Rhine passed through the endless deep forests of Europe on its long journey to the sea. Through hills and plains, the river raged for ages. She was a barrier stronger than a wall of stone to all who came to her mighty banks. Countless animals had drunk from her streams and children had learned to swim in her shallows. The power of her waters was almost mystic to the peoples who lived by her shores. However, this was soon to end. One day, a foreign army camped on her western bank.
    Ancient trees were hewn by sharp axes as sweaty men cursed at their strenuous labor in an unknown tongue. Strong hemp was used to lash the fallen pines together and crude ferries were soon shuttling warriors to the far shore. The Eagles of Rome had crossed the Rhine!

Victor Sieger sharpened his sword with a whetstone. His tribesmen had known only success in battle for as long as he had led them. He had heard strange stories of the men from the south that had been told by slaves fleeing from Gaul. The slaves told of fierce warriors with great machines that suffered no defeat. Whole tribes had been slaughtered and in their place now stood villages of stone with buildings as tall as trees. Some of the towns in their homeland were so large that a man needed all day just to walk around them. None of this concerned Sieger as he inspected his sword. He grinned as he wondered if the burial grounds in Rome were large enough for the number of dead he would send them.
    Sieger sheathed his sword and walked out of his hut into the cool morning air. He signaled to one of his men who ran over to him and saluted, “Sieger, Heil”
    Sieger stretched out his right arm as he returned the salute, “Heil Germania! Davros, it is time for me to meet the oracle.”
    Davros hurried to the hut of the region’s oracle, Slobberdegullion the Great. In the previous night’s drunken debauchery, he had trained the village’s virgins to be screeching women. Many of the elders gathered outside had listened to Slobbers’ success.
    Davros paused in front of the entrance to the hut and then knocked upon the wooden frame to the door. After a short time, a garbled voice responded from within, “Take one down…pass it around…What? Who’s there?”
    The warrior responded proudly, “Davros.”
    The voice within responded, “Davros? Dav’s not here, man.”
    Confused, the warrior continued, “No, I am Davros.”
    The voice echoed, “I am Davros? No, I am Slobberdegullion! Be gone, oh demon trickster!”
    Finally, the warrior pounded upon the door, “Open the door you drunken sot!”
    The mangy head of a bearded man popped out of the door and yelled, “Davros! Quick, come inside before the demons get you!”
    Davros pushed the filthy man’s grubby hands away as he said, “Shut up you old fool. The Leader wants to see you.”
    Checking to see if indeed the demons had left, Slobberdegullion stepped out of his hut’s door and stretched as he let one rip. Davros flinched and turned his head as Slobber’ said, “Woo! I warned you about the demon.”
    Davros caught his breath and commanded, “Come, the Leader awaits.”
    “Hey, not so fast there. First things first.” Slobberdegullion motioned behind him, as several maidens left his hut. Each bowed as she passed the oracle and he spoke with many, “Tata Heidi! B’bye Claudia. I see you Nena, you little screecher!”
    The number of ladies did not seem to end as Davros inquired, “You trained all of these women yourself? In one night?”
    Slobber’ nodded with a grin, “They insisted.”
    As the last one left, Davros added, “Nice work!”
    Slobberdegullion smiled and said, “I may be a drunken sot, but I am no idiot.”
    As the two moved to the Leader’s hut, the oracle asked, “You wouldn’t happen to know what this Leader guy wants, do you?”
    Davros nodded, “Yes, a tribe of men from a village called Rome have crossed the great river. He wants the divine guidance that only you can give.”
    Slobber’ belched and thought to himself, “How bad could that be?”

Gaius Julius Ceasar stepped off his barge and onto the far bank of the Rhine as his victorious legions followed. Having crushed the Gauls, he felt confident in his latest plan. However, caution is always healthy. He turned to a centurion and commanded, “Send out that worthless young scout that the Senate has plagued me with. What’s his name?”
    The centurion nodded and yelled over his shoulder, “Miles! Agent Miles!”

Victor Sieger entered the meeting hall and those warchiefs who were already loyal to him stood and saluted. Goermann Herring, Himmrich Heinler and Goseph Joebbels all yelled in unison, “Sieger, Heil!”
    Most of the warlords were unimpressed or snickered among themselves. Sieger was undaunted as he returned his followers salute and strode to a great seat at the table. There he stood and waited. Torches burned behind him as the light flickered in the faces of the men. It seemed as though even those who doubted him, were still somehow cowered by his presence. He stood without moving a muscle or uttering a sound, looking into the very soul of each man assembled. They waited what seemed like an eternity as every eye was drawn hypnotically to him.
    Finally he spoke, “My struggle has been long and hard! As long and hard as the struggle of our people to find room where we could live. The tales tell of the great Master who came to our ancient homeland in Arya and sent our race here. We shall hear from the oracle today about the next step that the Master has pronounced in our journey. However, I am not one to wait for divine signs to tell me my destiny.”
    Sieger pounded his fist upon the table and then waived his index finger to and fro before the warlords, “My armies have crushed our ancestral enemies to the east in a lightning campaign.” This was a surprise to the chieftains and they could hardly believe their ears. Such a fete had been considered impossible.
    Sieger nodded and continued, “All Germanic peoples will be united under one leadership and together we will conquer Gaul, Rome and all other lands that threaten us.” Sieger stretched both of his hands before him and shook his head violently as he finished, “Germania will rule a barbarian world!”
    At this, Sieger’s followers stood up and saluted, and this time all the other warchiefs inexorably followed. “Sieger, Heil! Heil Germania!”

As Slobberdegullion and Davros arrived at the meeting hall, a small team of warriors stopped them, as a great chief came forward, “I am Marshall of the Field, Rowin Ermmel, chief of the Leader’s Leibstandarte. Is this the oracle?”
    Slobber’ was trying not to flatulate as Davros answered, “Yes, this is Slobberdegullion the Great.”
    Eyeing them both, Ermmel responded, “Good. The Leader is waiting.”
    After they were permitted entry, the people in the village began to cheer as a horse galloped up. The rider dismounted before Ermmel and he recognized her as the chief of the Valkerie.
    Her slim athletic figure was clad in brown leather that fit her like a second skin. A curled whip and a sword were slung at her side. Her face was tan from her active life under the burning sun. The dark tan contrasted with her long golden hair that hung in two perfect braids on each side of her beautiful face. Two eyes as blue as the sky flashed as she spoke to Ermmel, “I am Eva the Brown, darling, and I am here for the meeting.”
    Rowin was quick to reply, “This is a meeting of men. The Leader left no instructions for your admission,”
    Eva smiled and said, “Vell darling, then you vill just have to make an exception.”
    Rowin was adamant as he spoke, “I am only following orders. Perhaps you should find a mate for whom you can cook and bear children. Then, he might tell you what men decide at important meetings.” The guards of the Leibstandarte laughed at this, but Eva did not.
    Eva’s blue eyes cooled as she spoke, “I am a daughter of Odin and only he can choose a mate strong enough for me.”
    Now Rowin laughed, “We no longer listen to the old gods. We have chosen…to follow the Leader.”
    Eva stepped in between two of the guards and faced Rowin as she said, “Then you have made a…very…bad…choice.”
    In a flash, her knee met his groin. Her fists flailed out at the two guards by her side. As they crumpled to the ground a crack was heard as Eva snapped her whip at the remaining men. All fled in terror. With a flick of her wrist the whip wound around Ermmel’s neck. He gasped for air as she pushed him through the doorway.
    As Eva entered the great meeting hall, all eyes shifted to her. She curled the whip and replaced it at her side. Eva smiled and said, “Victor, you forgot to invite me. Perhaps vone of you boys vill give me a seat?” She then took a walnut from her pocket and crushed it in her left hand as the men exclaimed a whispered “Ooooh!” and crossed their legs. Two men next to her sprang up and offered their chairs. Slobberdegullion grinned and exclaimed, “Woof!”
    Fat Goermann Herring whispered in Sieger’s ear, “My Leader, if she can defeat Ermmel and the Leibstandarte, perhaps it would be wise to win her to our side.”
    Sieger stood up and said, “Forgive this misunderstanding Eva. Please, join us. The oracle was just about to tell us of the latest revelation he has received for the Master’s race.”

The oracle finished his drink and rose from his seat. His reputation was legend and the many chieftains had great reverence for him. His voice was strong and proud as he spoke, “I am Slobberdegullion. You all know of me and my abilities. Now I will tell you what you do not know.”
    Sieger watched the men as Slobber’ spoke. He whispered to Joebbels, “We must find a way to twist whatever the oracle says to our advantage.”
    Joebbels nodded in agreement.
    Slobber’ continued, “Once when I was a child, I awoke from a dream. I left my village and went deep into the forest in answer to a voice that only I could hear. There, in a clearing by a pool of clear water, a light from the sky fell to Earth. As it drew nearer, it looked like a wheel of fire, and yet I was not burned! It landed in the clearing, and the pool began to glow. I felt an urge to drink from the water that I could not resist.
    The water was cool, but tasted somehow strange. As I wiped my mouth, a thousand visions burst upon my thoughts. Many things became clear to me, as if I had gained the wisdom of an elder. My senses were sharper and I was blessed with great knowledge.
    Then the voice returned and explained that they were the Masters who had sent our people here so long ago. We had been chosen by them. We would suffer many hardships in the ages to come, but we would always rise again, seemingly out of the ashes. If we, as a people, could resist the temptation of power, then we would rise to final greatness!
    I have used what abilities the Masters gave me for the good of our people. Now, the light within me is fading. Last night, the Masters returned and told me that they have prepared the water once again. We must meet under the full moon at the Olympicpool in the sacred grove of the Muenchnerstadium. There, the next in my line will be chosen.”

Joebbels thought quickly and sprang to his feet, “Thank you, oh great Oracle! Once again, as so many times in the past, you have revealed the will of the Masters for our race. As you say, soon the blessings that you received will pass to another.”
    Then Joebbels looked to Sieger and could hardly control his excitement. He smiled and proclaimed, “Fate has already chosen who that shall be. When the abilities of the Oracle are combined at the sacred grove in Muenchnerstadium with those of our Leader, then our race will resist the power of so called Roman civilization and achieve our final greatness!”
    Herring and the others quickly voiced their approval and no one dared to disagree. Confident, Sieger stood up and spoke, “Gather all of your tribes to the sacred grove at Muenchnerstadium. Under the full moon, I shall drink from the Olympicpool’s waters and become Leader of the Masters’ race.”

Many voices were raised and the chieftains drank toasts to Germania. Eva only shook her head and left the hall. Slobber’ quickly followed behind her. Outside, Ermmel and the Leibstandarte kept their distance. The Oracle called to Eva, “Wait! I have a request to make.” Eva turned around as Slobber’ eyed the Leibstandarte nervously. He lowered his voice and asked, “I take it that you were not impressed by the Leader.”
    Eva grinned, “I have never been impressed by the foolishness of dangerous men.”
    Slobber’ studied her blue eyes with what perception remained to him. He asked, “I also impress you as foolish?” Eva said nothing. He continued, “Please do not underestimate me. I really was visited by…something. Imagine that you wake every day in a village of children to watch a hundred stupidities repeated from the day before. None of them have the wit to understand any of the wisdom or knowledge that you are trying to give them. This is the curse of my gift. This is why I drink myself to sleep every night.”
    Eva thought about this and wondered if there was truth in what the oracle said.
    Slobber’ whispered as he continued, “I didn’t tell the others, but the voice said that someone would cross the great river and drink from the Olympicpool. I can’t understand everything that they say anymore. I need more pieces to this puzzle. If the Roman general drinks from the waters, then I believe that this could be a disaster for all people.” Slobber’ looked Eva in the eye and asked, “Can you bring me one of the Romans?”
    Eva considered this proposal. She knew that she had already planned to go and observe the Romans for herself. She wondered if the Oracle had indeed known this somehow. She asked, “Vat exactly do you mean, darling?”
    Slobber’ shrugged and said, “Somehow snatch one of the Romans and bring him alive to me at the Olympicpool by the full moon. I must learn more about them. I know that it’s a lot to ask on such short notice.”
    Eva smiled and said, “Now it is you who underestimates me. Agreed, I vill bring you a Roman.”
    Slobberdegullion was impressed by the daughter of Odin, “Perhaps you should drink from the sacred water.”
    Eva laughed and said, “Perhaps everyone should. Then ve vould all have the vit to understand you.”
    Slobber’ shrugged and added, “This has been tried. The power only works for the first few who drink. It is similar to the blessings of Odin that you have received. You may pass them to the next chief of the Valkerie, or share them with the mate Odin sends you.”
    Eva looked at the oracle with a shrewd eye, “You know a lot old man.”
    Slobber’ bowed and said, “It is my curse to know things.”
    Eva wondered if he knew of the third way. The strength and skill of a queen of the Valkerie could also pass to one who slew her in combat. Of this, she did not speak.
    Mounting her horse, Eva smiled and said, “Until the full moon.”
    As she rode away, she wondered if perhaps Slobberdegullion was simply an old fool who told strange tales so that the villagers would feed him. She passed through the forest to the west into an open area of tall grass. She dismounted to lead her horse through, when suddenly she came to a clearing. Then she realized that the grass here appeared as though it had been beaten down in every direction. She was standing in the middle of a large circle where the foliage had been crushed flat as if by the passing of some great object.

Victor spoke privately with Himmrich Heinler, “Have any of the Sacred Scouts returned from the campaign in the east?”
    Heinler quickly answered, “Jawohl my Leader. Two of the SS units returned last night.”
    Victor pondered this and spoke, “Send them to the Great River. I must learn more about my enemy.”
    Heinler saluted and said, “Sieger Heil!”

Quintus stepped from the barge into the cool waters of the Rhine and struggled to the shore. Then he called over his shoulder, “Come on! The fish won’t eat you.”
    Miles was still reluctant. He knew that every step brought him further away from home. He gingerly stepped off trying not to land in the water. Looking about he stuttered to Quintus, “This l-l-looks like the end of the w-w-world.”
    Quintus nodded in agreement and added, “Well you better get a move on before the Centurion ends your world. He’s still mad about the way you behaved in Gaul.”
    Miles was tired of hearing this and replied, “Th-th-those people did not deserve to d-d-die.”
    As fate would have it, the Centurion came bellowing into view, “Agent Miles! You and your fat friend aren’t worth what you eat. However, Ceasar has decided to send you ahead to scout out these barbarians. If you can find them without getting seen, then I won’t whip you tonight. Get moving!”

Miles headed out with a great deal of caution. He knew that the Germans were the worst of the barbarians. Still, their legends had intrigued him. Their tribes were supposedly visited by a god and sent here from some far off land. Miles felt it ironic that every land’s leaders knew some myth to give them special license to conquer the world.
    The day grew warmer as Miles trod through the endless pine forests. He had sketched several unknown birds and a few plants on some scrolls when he rested by a great oak. Drinking from his water, he suddenly froze at the sound of nearby footsteps. A group of barbarians armed with crude bows and spears were moving his way. He barely had time to hide before they were upon him.
    The leader halted his party. His men instantly took up positions in a circle around him facing out. He was kneeling, but slowly stood up. He seemed to be sniffing the air, as though he had smelled a Roman for the first time.
    Miles was terrified and started running. He heard the leader barking to his men and looked over his shoulder in their direction. He could see one of them drawing his bow. Miles turned back around only to see that he was running right into a tree trunk. He banged his head and fell to his knees as an arrow smacked into the tree. He was too stunned to realize that another arrow was speeding toward him.
    Just then Eva charged out of the forest and snatched the arrow from its flight. She glared at the Sacred Scouts and stuck the arrow head between her teeth as she bit the point off. The SS had heard of the Queen of the Valkerie and had no desire to tangle with her. As his men fled, their leader shook his fist at her and left.
    Miles was dazed somewhat, but stumbled to his feet. As he turned toward Eva he was startled. He felt that she was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. All he could do was stammer, “Th-th-thank you!”
    Eva checked Miles’ head and smiled at him. He wondered which goddess had sent her to his aid. Then she motioned with her hands for Miles to follow her. He felt that it was the best thing to do. It started to rain as she led him to her horse. She mounted her steed with one hop. Then, she grabbed Miles’ hand and he struggled as she lifted him up behind her. Lightning struck nearby. A clap of thunder startled the horse and Miles as well. He stretched his hands around Eva’s firm waist and held her tight. Eva was momentarily surprised. No man had ever been allowed to embrace her. The feeling was not entirely disdainful. She decided not to punish this Roman, until he had spoken to the Oracle. Besides, Sieger would most likely just kill him.

As they rode along, Miles thought that perhaps he had been knocked senseless and that this was just a dream. This woman was too beautiful to believe. Her hair smelled like flowers although he could feel that she was strong and athletic. She seemed to talk to each of the animals that crossed their path and nodded in reverence at each brook or copse of trees. Finally she started humming and then singing as though he were not even there. Miles knew nothing of her language and he strained to discern anything. He tried to pick out sounds that repeated or the pattern of the words, but soon he was lost in the sweetness of her voice.
    After a long while that passed as if it were only a moment, they stopped and dismounted. The woman motioned for Miles to stay put, then she groomed and watered her horse. Miles watched her every step. She moved like a dancer and when she stopped or paused, she reminded Miles of the finest artwork. He began sketching her on the scrolls that he had brought.
    She built a campfire and brought a collection of food to share with Miles. There were various nuts and berries, honey and a sort of bread. It looked rather sparse but was quite filling. After the sun set, the stars slowly filled the sky. The moon was almost full and the sight was quite striking.
    The woman was singing softly as she watched the heavens. Miles felt like a bump on a log. He thought that he must do something, so he tried to communicate. He waved his hand to get her attention and then pointed to himself as he said, “I am M-Miles.”
    The woman’s eyes sparkled and she repeated, “M-Miles?”
    Exasperated, Miles concentrated and repeated, “N-no…Mmmiles.”
    The woman smiled and echoed, “Miles.”
    Miles nodded as she pointed to herself and said in German, “Ich bin Eva…Eva.”
    Miles smiled and mouthed her name, “Eva.”
    Eva nodded and pulled out an animal skin that she shared with Miles as a blanket. She winked and said, “Jetzt schlafen wir.” As the embers of the campfire died, Miles fell asleep.

Eva awoke to a new surprise. Miles was again hugging her as he slept, and she was certain that there were more than just his two legs beneath the animal skin. She wanted to jump up, but for some strange reason remained. The sun was beginning to shine and the birds were waking. It was almost an idyllic moment. A strange thought came to Eva. How would she know the one that Odin would send to be her spouse?
    Finally she stood up and stretched. Miles was still fast asleep. She studied him and wondered what Rome must be like. Then she saw Miles’ scroll. The drawings were at first curious to Eva, then she realized that the pictures were of her. They were like looking into a pool of clear water and seeing her reflection. Just then, two rabbits came into the clearing and right up to her hands. She caressed their fuzzy heads as she saw that they were a mated pair.

As Miles awoke he saw that he was alone. He looked around and called out, “Eva!” but there was no answer. He decided to look around. He heard the running water of a nearby brook and realized that he was quite thirsty. He headed toward the water when he was dumbfounded. Eva was standing naked in the water washing. Miles feared that the gods would strike him blind, but he could not look away. Every curve of her body was more intriguing than the last. Miles had always held that art and architecture were simply feeble attempts by men to mimic the strength, beauty and form of a woman’s body. It seemed as though every bead of water that clung to Eva’s skin shone like a jewel that shared in her glory.
    Suddenly, Eva turned around and looked right into Miles eyes. She smiled and called, “Miles, komm doch!” He was so startled that he nearly fell into the water. She rubbed her hands together and said, “Waschen.” Miles entered the water as his embarrassment grew. Now Eva watched him as he bathed.
    Breakfast was light and they left quickly. Eva started a new song as Miles listened intently. He gave up trying to pick up the language, but he was confident that he had the tune itself. Now when Eva sang a verse in German, he sang a similar verse in Latin. She laughed at his first attempts, but both enjoyed the exercise. Miles found that when he sang, he did not stutter, or perhaps something about Eva relaxed him.
    This day they stopped only shortly to eat, but did not camp. They continued into the early evening until they reached a great valley. Miles could see a clearing with a large pool of water. The water seemed to glow somehow in the light of the full moon. As they drew nearer, Miles was shocked. Thousands of barbarians were gathered at the pool, arranged in tight tribal squares. When they entered the meeting area Eva rode straight to an old man who waived at her. She dismounted and motioned for Miles to follow.

Slobberdegullion was amazed as he greeted Eva, “Excellent! He’s not what I expected. I didn’t imagine that the Roman army traveled with their young, but he will do fine.”
    Miles understood none of this as he looked around. The barbarians painted faces were strange and terrifying. None of them seemed too interested in him until he recognized a face that he had not yet forgotten. The leader of the warband that had nearly killed him was pointing in his direction.
    Himmrich Heinler and a large group of the SS came over to Eva. Heinler examined Miles and spoke, “Thank you Eva! Gunther just explained to me how you were kind enough to bring our prisoner here.”
    Eva shook her head, “Your goons vere going to shoot this unarmed boy in ze back. I have brought him here as my captive.”
    No Valkerie had come to the tribal meeting. Heinler was very confident that his large group of Sacred Scouts could handle any situation that Eva could manage alone. He continued, “Surely you won’t mind if my men show…your prisoner…to the leader. He is very interested in inferior races.”
    Eva frowned as she knew that there was little that she could do to resist.
    Heinler took Miles to see Sieger. Victor was preparing for his appearance before the tribes. He glanced at Miles dispassionately and asked, “What should I do with this? I need information about Roman warriors, not school boys.”
    Heinler responded quickly, “He is an example of Roman weakness. Look at him. Like a frightened little animal of the forest. Perhaps a wolf or a bear. No, more like a little fox.”
    The men laughed at this as Miles looked around.
    Sieger pondered this for a moment then said, “Take him to the Olympicpool. Once I have drunk from the sacred waters, make him a sacrifice to Odin.”

Miles’ hands were shackled and he was led away to the pool. He was thrown to the ground near the water’s edge. Sieger entered as the tribes shouted, “Heil Germania”
    Many drums were beat as the torches burned brightly. A bowl was dipped into the glowing water. The water collected in it did not glow as fiercely, but it was taken to the Leader.
    Miles heard Sieger talking. He made out many phrases like, “Germania ueber alles” and “Sieger Heil”, but could not understand much else. Still, he recognized the rants of a dictator. He was amazed at the effect on the barbarians. They were somehow hypnotized by this man. All eyes were on their Leader, even those of Miles’ guards. Miles knew that his life was over, but he decided not to die of thirst. Slowly he inched his way to the glowing water of the pool as he cupped his shackled hands.

Sieger finally drank the sacred water from the bowl as the crowd cheered their approval. He turned to Marshal of the Field Ermmel and ordered, “Kill the Roman!”
    Ermmel went to Miles and taunted, “Time to die, you little fox!”
    Miles swiped his feet against Ermmel’s heels as the Marshal fell backwards. He sat up as the shackles fell away from his hands and he struck the palm of his right hand against Ermmel’s chin, knocking him out. He then grabbed the Marshal’s sword and sprang to his feet. Everyone was amazed and wondered if this was part of the ceremony.
    Miles stuck his left arm out and raised the sword over his head and held it parallel to the ground. He grinned as fire burned in his green eyes for the first time. Then he laughed as he lowered the sword. He bowed as he spoke with a voice that was both strong and proud, “Ich…bin…Miles."
    An arrogant grin came to his face as he added, "Agent Miles!”
    Last edited by Agent Miles; 10-31-2006 at 19:45.
    Sometimes good people must kill bad people to protect the rest of the people.

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Default Re: A Fox on the Run

Miles,

I really loved the dessert fox, but I cannot say the same about this story. I find this Nazi Comic stuff not very amuzing and the assoziation with Germanians is not very funny, too.

You mix up a lot of things but you do not get one persistent story. For my taste you should do more like the Dessert Fox.

Default Re: A Fox on the Run

Thanks for your comments. Writing is new to me, so I tried to do something "completely different" with this one. Perhaps when it is finished it will be more to your liking.
    Sometimes good people must kill bad people to protect the rest of the people.