Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: First impressions on mp

blaaaaaaaaaarg! Senior Member Lusted's Avatar

Default Re: First impressions on mp

Dragging this topic kicking and screaming back on-topic, i've played a couple more mp battles.

Units which might have been overpowered in mp, such as the cannon elephants, are not if you have the right units to deal with them. Attrition rates vary depending on what units each side has and how thew battle goes. I won one battle with 56% casulaties to the enemies 96%(i routed and chased down most fo his units before dealing with his last unit of elephants), and the next 60% to 87%, with me attacking up hill into his position which was protected by stakes from the front.

M2TW mp is definitely way better than RTWs, things feel much more balanced, and combat last longer, and battles last long enough for proper tactics to be used.

However I do take issue when those who have witnessed MP in all the titles are being told by those who have not that they are wrong. This kind of argument has no foundation.
    So.. If you had played all the titles in MP, you're a god and can't be wrong? Now I get it, ok. Apology.

@Lusted: That sounds really good.. Can you give more details on the hill situation..
    "Cry, the beloved country, for the unborn child that is the inheritor of our fear. Let him not love the earth too deeply. Let him not laugh too gladly when the water runs through his fingers, nor stand too silent when the setting sun makes red the veld with fire. Let him not be moved when the birds of his land are singing, nor give too much of his heart to a mountain or a valley. For fear will rob him of all if he gives too much."

Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton.

Quote Originally Posted by x-dANGEr
    So.. If you had played all the titles in MP, you're a god and can't be wrong? Now I get it, ok. Apology.
    Oh please. If you are unable to understand the point what is the use? Who said a thing about being a god?
    You constantly reply about a subject you have no knowledge of, you said yourself that you never played STW online so how can you compare any other TW title with STW?
    I stand by my statement that your argument has no foundation. No doubt you will have more to say but quite frankly I'm not interested

#ignore

.....Orda

how can you compare any other TW title with STW?
    All my argument has nothing to do with STW, go think comparing with it.
    "Cry, the beloved country, for the unborn child that is the inheritor of our fear. Let him not love the earth too deeply. Let him not laugh too gladly when the water runs through his fingers, nor stand too silent when the setting sun makes red the veld with fire. Let him not be moved when the birds of his land are singing, nor give too much of his heart to a mountain or a valley. For fear will rob him of all if he gives too much."

Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton.

blaaaaaaaaaarg! Senior Member Lusted's Avatar

@Lusted: That sounds really good.. Can you give more details on the hill situation..
    It was the Eifel mountains map, he deployed on the big hill in the corner. He had 4 units retinue longbowmen with deployed stakes in a semi-circle at the front, with a schiltron of sergeant spears on either flank. Behind the archers were 2 units cannons, with 4 units dismounted english knights. At the rear was his general and 2 units demi-lancers. There was a wood on his right flank. We were playing on 10k florins, so he went for quality rather than quantity.

I went(Venice) for 1 general, 2 men-at-arms, 4 militia cavalry, 4 pavise crossbowmen, 4 venetian heavy infantry, 5 pike militia.

I advanced all of my infantry and general up most of the hill to behind a small ledge so his cannons could not hit me. I moved my cavalry to the other side of the woods on his right flank, lining them up ready for my assault. I advanced my infantry up the hill, wth my pikemen heading for his left flank. My pavise crossbow militia drew hia archer fire which allowed my Venetian heavy infantry to make it to his longbowmen without too many losses. As they arrived my cavalry also executed the attack on his right flank, wiping out the 2 units of spearmen he had repositioned there, and inflicting severe casualties on 2 units of dismounted english knightsd he had also moved there.

My Venetian Heavy Infantry, backed by my pavise crossbowmen who i move into melee, beat up his longbowmen and the english knights and cannon crews he sent in to reinforce them. My pikemen arrive on his left flank and engaged one of his demi-lancers. His general and remaining demi-lancer he sent in to engage my cavalry who overwhelmed them with numbers.

So overall he had a very, very good defensive position, but by using the terrain to render his cannons almost useless, well timed frontal and flanking assaults, and my numbers i was able to beat him.

the goldfish Senior Member tootee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UglyandHasty
    Do you guys really think things are gonna change/improve ? I dont think so. I always wish for the best, but expect the worst.

Anyway, i know many vets, who like me, are waiting to have some feedback on mp. MTW2 is the first TW game i wont buy on release day. Of course, who am i kidding ? Sure i'll buy it. Sure i'll try mp. Many "old" face will come out in the incoming weeks. If its good enough they'll be back. If not, i'm sure it wont affect the usual RTW crowd.

Hope I'll see a couple of ya online. Its been awhile since i've been routed by a Cheetah and a Golfish
    How have you been my friend?

So have you bought M2TW or gone online? What do you think?

Just downloaded TC2M demo.. hope this will fill my void between now and 24th
    tootee the goldfish,
    loyal roach of Clan S.G.

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I fought two games today (finally), One against my friend FEAR from the German clan Croton, and one against Kurogane from Grey Wolves. I did good both games, winning my first one, and losing a good game against Kuro. I expericend some Lag, and Cav seem kinda odd, but not bad. Those Handgunners... OUCH!

Quote Originally Posted by tootee
    How have you been my friend?

So have you bought M2TW or gone online? What do you think?

Just downloaded TC2M demo.. hope this will fill my void between now and 24th
    Salut Tootee

I'm doing good thanks. I have one little ugly running ammoc in the house, and another one due this winter. I hope everything is ok on your side. Is Clarence still playing ?

I have buy MTW2. I'm a bit disapointed. SP look like and fell like a reskin version of RTW. At least speed and killrate seem much better.

As for MP, well i wish i could tell, i keep receiving a NAT failure message when i try to join a game. I'll keep trying, but my patience might run short.

You will love TC2M. That game is a blast !

edit ... 500th post of
    Last edited by UglyandHasty; 11-20-2006 at 19:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Stig
    imo cav is almost underpowered compared to RTW, they're very bad when fighting after the charge.
    BTW I don't have any lag, might have to do with the fact I'm on Univeristy network which gives me a very quick connection, but I don't know.

afaik t1 does seem to like this game
    Thought id add my two cents to this thread... its been quite, well... yes interesting to read considering i know all the MP ppl putting through their views

Greetings to all old time players, i joined the series in medieval, found rtw like ureselves not as successful but am highly optimistic of this latest title. I hope u dont find anything i say on these boards too extreme

Hi Aonar how are things, we need to get some more games in sometime. Always was a pleasure...

As for the quote, stig i remember our games and i cant see how u can say that considering my clan mate took full advantage of what he has learnt about the game so far concerning cav...

In no way are cavalry underpowered, ud have a much better chance arguing that they are overpowered which they arent. Think of it logically and in a realistic sense... why is it that u think a pikeman is superior to a spear man against cav. A medieval knight is basically the equivalent of a tank, a great amount of weight and force is focussed on the end of a lance which is what makes a knight what it is, a shock unit. An 11 stone man holding a stick cannot withstand such force, he would have his arm torn off even trying... even in tight schiltron the shear force of mounted lancers would hit these guys for 6 in big bloody bulges... A Pike is different as the ground absorbs the force of an angled pike and stops allcomers in their tracks.

Knights die quickly in melee because they shouldnt even be there, end of story really lol. I hope that helps u understand bud, a stopped horse against a spearman is more often than not a dead horse....
    Many of us MP players know of Lebedis and his helpful advice to "go flank a schiltron" :D

Ive played alot of multiplayer games, collected alot of replays and watched them... Im enjoying it very much. Sure its all unstable and network problems are more common in team games than ever but thats an issue a patch will certainly address.... i hope.

The gameplay i think is very gd... battles last longer and in a multiplayer aspect things have moved on considerably since rtw. Id be happy to go on but i fear ill be repeating many of u
    Last edited by RTKBarrett; 11-20-2006 at 23:33.
    All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope - Sir Winston Churchill

Hi Aonar how are things, we need to get some more games in sometime. Always was a pleasure...
    Looking foward to.

Recently I've spent more time playing MTW 2 and I have to admit that MP is quit enjoyable experience (without lag in mind).

After 6 pages of replys we are aware that MTW 2 is different then it's previous precusors of TW series. It is a step in the right direction. Let's hope that this will continue from here on.

Main stain of MTW 2 MP is lag issue, but if I'm not mistaken even STW was laging until it was patched.
    ''Constant training is the only Way to learn strategy.''

Quote Originally Posted by {BHC}KingWarman888
    Those Handgunners... OUCH!
    Handgunners are more "zomgz they make a big bang lets run away" kinda unit than "ouch". They kill very few, but route very many (if you can get them round an enemy flank).

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In my Opinion Guys, MTW2 lobby is jsut a re-skin of the RTW lobby. but Gameplay wise, FAR better then RTW. I expericene some lag so far, but that because I got 8 MB Cable and half decent comp, so only some lags occurs.. I think if all the vets return, or if most do anyhow, it be a good game then..

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Holy sum'n'r'other. This thread is VERY festive. I love econ's suggestion for renaming the thread.

OK, I'll toss my two cents into the mix.

My background: I've been with the TW games since the beginning, bought em all and the expansions within a week of release. Never really played that much multiplayer though, throughout the entire series of games and my memory thereof isn't always that great, but I do remember some bits and pieces. I also don't consider myself to be that great of a player, but I can... hold my own, if that's valid. I doubt anyone here would remember me, I went by either "Whacker" or "Treach", or some variation thereof. I wasn't ever involved in a clan, nor do I think any of the clans would have wanted me except for cannon fodder.

STW and MI: Given the fact that it was a unique game for it's time, it was a hell of a lot of fun to play. The pre-patched game was full of lag and some bugs here and there, but for the most part it was playable. I don't think I ever played anything but 1v1 against some random opponents, noone else I knew was playing the game at the time. I will say that I have good memories of my games and opponents, people in general just felt more courteous and respectful. I liked the interface at the time and didn't feel it was hard to use. Never did get the real hang of the finer points and hairsplitting between units, but the basics were easy enough to grasp. Spears beat cav, cav beats archers, etc etc... without getting into the bowels of the mechanics.

MTW and VI: Wow, this was different and yet the more of the same. It was a bit surprising to see the old game engine reused in '02, because at the time the 2D sprites were pretty dated in terms of graphics. I for one prefer a wide variety of units and factions to play as, this certainly satisfied my tastes there. However as our beloved cranky ol' Puzz3D points out, this does throw quite a wrench into the mix when it comes to unit balancing. The lag issues were for the most part a distant memory to me. The bugs and exploits were amusing and aggravating to watch, try, and be on the receiving end of. Again I never did really grasp much of the finer points of relative unit strengths and weaknesses, so the better players did tend to kick me around quite a bit. I want to say I played a few 2v2 matches and what naught, but in general it was 1v1. I had one friend who picked up MTW and I played against, but in general I would play against random folks. In general, the folks that I ran into and had the pleasure of playing with and against were honorable and respectful. The "normans" as Mr. Monarch called them did start to crop up here and there, but it wasn't that bad.

RTW and BI: Hrmmm... A new engine, it was certainly pretty, I'll give it that. The gameplay is much faster paced in multiplayer, and that old lag problem is back. I still experienced it all the patch revisions, even when I was playing on my monster rig and against my friends who I knew also had computers that didn't lag. By this time we all had solid broadband connections or better so that obviously wasn't the weak point. The cav spamming was definitely a huge problem and it ruined the atmosphere some. I have mixed feelings about what CA did in the patches, it just seemed that for stuff that they fixed, something else broke. The final patch 1.5 still had it's share of problems. I think Mr. x-Danger pointed out the "butt-spike bug" for phalanx formations that would cause cav charges to the read that would die en-masse just like frontal charges... That was/is utter crap, and still irritates me to this day. Would I say the overall experience was worse? Nah. Was it better? Nah. It was just different. One thing that I will laud RTW for is the (imo) *vastly* improved interface for controlling and viewing the battles. Gone were some sorely missed features, but added were some much needed new ones. The new grouping system was superior in my opinion. The camera system and controlling it was light-years better than STW and MTW... It's almost painful to play them now that I got used to RTW/M2TW style. It just felt much more solid to me. In some aspects it was inferior, such as the missing fatigue/moral indicators on the unit cards. Moving and controlling units was a mixed bag. The alt-turn function was great. Moving units with alt-click was great. Trying to get units to run? They didn't always want to do this... Though I want to say this was a problem in all the games. Don't honestly remember. Finally, in terms of the lobby and types of individuals that I'd run into looking for random games... Ugh. Unfortunately this has gone way downhill, and looking for a good, mature, respectful, friendly opponent is like looking for a needle in a haystack. /shrug The "normans" have definitely come back with a vengeance, and they love telling me "im in ur city killin ur d00ds".

M2TW: I haven't played multiplayer yet, and I got the game 3 days before I left for vacation. As such it'd be pointless for me to speak to this when I haven't played it. I *will* state that if some of the interface control bugs are identical in multiplayer, that they will no doubt vex me greatly and impact my opinion on the experience.

Some final thoughts. Interface in RTW was best in my opinion, in terms of controlling my armies. STW and MTW "felt" more tactical, and battles took longer (not that long battles is a good or bad thing). RTW battles were generally quicker affairs once actual combat began in earnest. They've all had their fair share of bugs, good points and bad. I've enjoyed every one.

Cheers!

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Sitting at the airport of Kualalumpur (however you spell it) being boreeeed, thats why I read this thread. Hopefully Ill give it a try this weekend and then find out about it, and give some feedback. Or not, if I am too busy playing it. Yeah bit useless post, but I am bored. ;)

Salut Tempiic :)

Well i manage 2 games last night, and i'm fairly impress. I think we might have something here. Some cav need speed tweaking for sure, as i had trouble catching archers with mounted sergaent. With 2 games i cant talk bout the balance. I'll try more games before commiting. But i actually had fun. Of course i had a host quiting on me, but i was expecting it

finally got my copy

First impression:

1. Lobby looks nice.. blue, with better font, make reading easy. The moving background is abit disturbing. Can't have private chatroom like STW, and worst only one room...

2. played 3 1v1 with clanmate AK. 2/3 GS disconnected. 1/3 ok. Our 1v1 has no lag. Both of us had video setting at lowest.

3. the sprites look terrible from the usual zoom-out view.. maybe its because i had settings at lowest? they look just aweful...

4. cannot distinguish my units.. they all look the same to me

5. where is the ctrl+shift+num grouping?!?! Would appreciate CA bring back this control.

6. game balance.. can't comment much.. cav is different.. hardly can use a fast cav to raid the shooters during the shooting battle like in MTW.

All-in-all, am happy to play TW again. Better than RTW for sure.
    Last edited by tootee; 11-24-2006 at 20:58.
    tootee the goldfish,
    loyal roach of Clan S.G.

Hiya Hasty

I also played my first games last night, was rather impressed. It was fun especially since I played with a couple of VI friends, made the experience more enjoyable. We played a couple of 3v3 games, I had minimal lag but on the 4v4 it was very laggy. It does give a slight feeling of VI with the better graphics of course. Nobody mentions the sound, I think the sounds are intense...hearing those arqs shoot is incredible. I expect the units will need some balancing...to early for me to tell what needs what.

BTW tootee

5. where is the ctrl+shift+num grouping?!?!
    I think they mentioned this on page 54 of manual havent confirmed it works...and say hi to LeChevalier for me!
    Hunter King George Visit the Realm of the Hunters:
    Proud participant of the Code of Honor. Have you signed the code?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter KIng George
    Hiya Hasty

I think they mentioned this on page 54 of manual havent confirmed it works...and say hi to LeChevalier for me!
    what they mentioned is not the ctrl+shift+num grouping, or what we call soft-grouping? its not in the demo either.

Sure will forward your regards to Clar dont think he has got the game yet
    tootee the goldfish,
    loyal roach of Clan S.G.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456