Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A little Idea...

blaaaaaaaaaarg! Senior Member Lusted's Avatar

Default Re: A little Idea...

Certainly an interesting concept you guys have, and great work on the concept art Caius. You seem to be mixing alexander era greek helmets with Byzantine troop styles. I might try and see what i could do with the Romans, basing helmets off of the late roman era helms perhaps, or does the Roman army develop differently in your story.

Oh, and i hope to see some Companions who have a Kataphraktoi look thrown in for good measure.

With the romans I'm having a creative block... well sort of a creative block. I haven't really decided what I want to do. The late roman helmets seem to translate better into medieval style helmets but I don't like the armor they use. In the end I may take the helmets from the late empire and use the armor from the early empire. Its hard to say how the romans armor would have evolved with no presence in greece. No dacians to fight means they would have had considerably less armor and would have likely remained in their chainmail throughout their history. At the same time however in my histories wars with the Alexandrians and carthaginians create an empire a hundred years earlier in history creating an expanding empire much sooner. But I'm concentrating on finishing an alexandrian unit list (full conceptual design) before I move onto the romans. Gives me more time to think about stuff.
    Creator of The Crusades a complete modification for Barbarian Invasion
    Can a man love a mod? No, probably not. But here, at The Crusades, we believe in unnatural loves stories!

Some ideas:

As they would have been fighting the Carthaginians and Alexandrian Empire, i would expect to see them still using chainmail, maybe with some breast plates thrown in. They would likely have developed longer swords as those can cut the head off of a pike. Shields may have become flatter, more oval in shape as the legions developed into anti-phalanx troops with oval shields to push aside the pikes and longer swords to cut off the pike heads. They would also likely have anti-cav spear units, maybe even making their own version of the phalanx. In response to the Alexandrian empires companinos and Thessalians they would likely have developed their own counter unit of elite cavalry, with small shield strapped to arm, double handed lance, hamata/squamata armour and graves. Helmets im not sure about, maybe late Roman/early republic influenced?

Naked Game Fanatic Member Murfios's Avatar

Yes, with no Dacia present, their helmets would be flimsy, and with no greek present their sector segmenta would be rather crude, or plain. Chain mail it posible to have been forgotten, just because its making is slow and expensive.Their shields howerver, could have been not flat but bent in. This would help to mantain the pikes from the Alexandrians in jammed in the shield while they would chop the wooden shaft.

Note: Throught warfare, romas would have eventualy develp warfare similar to that in reality, throught trial and error.

more concept art for alexandrian units:

Hypaspist First Class, also known as the Silver Shield Guard. These men form the household guard of the Alexandrian Emperors. They were first formed under Alexander the Great and eventually formed into the elite fighting force. True to their name their kite shields are still emblazened with silver for the vergina sun, while they carry a short spear and sword for combat.
    Can a man love a mod? No, probably not. But here, at The Crusades, we believe in unnatural loves stories!

impresive

Damn, I haven't posted here in a long time but that is just how much this has intrigued me. Please post more pictures and information as I REALLY enjoy looking at all of these pictures and reading about this. I think it would be a VERY good idea to first create a very extensive database and backstory of this world and group all the pictures together to create a large database and then move onto modding as the large database would really draw people into this. If you have a large amount of information and pictures I could set you up a little website for it if it gets big enough. Good job man.

Muslim religion could be changed into "Allajians" worshiperas to Ala, and other local gods. It would be strange that muslims where existent.
    BTW; we will need a starting date....How about the "sight of Helios" when a comet bashed the earth and people thought it was helios, or something like that...
    Last edited by Murfios; 11-24-2006 at 04:09.

More concept art:

Phalanx Guardsmen seen here carry swords and bucklers. They originally used by Alexander himself to protect the flanks of the phalanx. However, in antiquity they wore heavy bronze cuirasses and carried large hoplon shields and thus were terribly imobile. As time past and wars continued to flare up between the alexandrians and romans the need for mobile defensive troops arose. The shield bearers were made into a light infantry, wearing chainmail and leather for armor while their large shield was replaced with a smaller lighter wood shield. They still perform the role of protecting the flanks and gaps in the phalanx (hence the name Phalanx Guardsmen), however because of their mobility they can easily engage the romans as well as maneuver behind defensive lines to strengthen an weak points in the line.

The Thureophoroi of Alexanders time were heavily armored javelin throwers. They carried lighter armor then their hoplite brethren but were extremely capable soldiers. During the later half of the Alexandrian empires life, as gun powder began to flow into the empire from china this unit adopted the hand cannon. Their heavy armor and massive stopping power (thanks to the hand cannon) makes them a formidable opponent on the battlefield.

Great work as usual Caius. I wish i could draw as well as you can.

I particularly love the fact that they look Alexandrian Greek, but mixed with medieval stuff. This is especially true of the thureophoroi.

I think this mod has fantastic potential. Looking forward to more concept art, and with any luck a finished project in the future!

Nice

More concept art

Militia Infantry. Wearing a leather jerkin over top their tunic, these men are certainly not the best armored troops at your disposal. Their link to the past comes from the glaive they carry for a weapon. Over the years armor and weapons were passed down from father to son. In many cases the sword of choice was the falcata eventually as the weapons aged the hilts would break or rot. Because the peasantry was too poor to have it refashioned into a falcata many times they would attach it to a broken spear shaft. Eventually this design became the weapon of choice for the lower classes of the Alexandrian empire.
    Last edited by caius britannicus; 11-26-2006 at 16:16.

Yorkist Senior Member NagatsukaShumi's Avatar

As usual, some brilliant artwork there. Certainly one of those projects to look out for! Looks like your developing your ideas very well.
    RIP TosaInu
    Ja Mata

Quote Originally Posted by caius britannicus
    What I have decided is that islam would have developed out of judaisim from captured Jewish slaves. I haven't fleshed it out entirely but thats the direction I am heading.
    Theres no real need to involve slavery, Judaism was widespread in the Hejaz at the time of Muhammad, probably more so than christianity and as such would have had a greater impact on him. The town of Medina for example was largely jewish on his arrival there.

Lesser Boss of Totalstrategy Member Bohemians's Avatar

Caius, I have a french medieval fantastic comic that has some units that are pretty much a mix of Greek-Byzantines-Medieval troops you might want to have a look at... I can scan it to send you the pictures if you want... let me know.

Btw, one Fine idea it is... some historical-fantastic world to rule the world ! :D

If you have the mongols already in the game, you might want to use that trigger to get someone else involved... like the Aztecs invading europe from the west ! ;)

I just read this french guy Jacques de Mahieu who strongly beleive that Vikings lived in southamerica... and that they came down here as early as 967 AD !!! First to Mexico with some 700 Vikings of both sex... and that 20 years later he left Mexico to go to Venezuela and Colombia... And suposedly they went down the rivers and finaly installed themselves in the shores of the Lake Titicaca, and founded their colonial capital their called : Tiahuanacu. And with the help of the Aymaras and the Quetchuas conquered a big piece of land up to chile, where the Diaguitas from north of Chile around 1290 revolted and finally killed most of the whitemen and burned down their capital city in Titicaca. But some 10 years later, a few of the faithfull native got together and built a city in El Cuzco and founded the Inca Empire...
    Anyway, to make this short, even if the idea is pretty wild, he selfconvinced everyone he found many signs of this coalision and mixture... but my point is, you could have some VERY original units coming back to europe from the west this time, with very original skins...

The book is called "Drakkars on the Amazon" (The Vikings in the Pre-columbian America) from Jacques de Mahieu.

At your service, Bohemians The Arrawak Viking Guard

Great idea.
    It's not a map.

without the dark ages would the carthaginians or greeks discovered teh americas? And also will the alexandrians and carthaginians have elephants. An idea for the alexandrians is make them appear very little and be very expensive symbolizing that you got them by trade.
    RTR forums: mercman
    TWcenter: angmar_nite
    SCC: king henry

caius, there weren't any thureophoroi "of alexander's time."

now, if he lives longer in your alternative history, then he'd have to come back from babylon to fight the invading galatians (unless they kept their alliance with him), so then in your alternate history he could end up with thureophoroi during his lifetime.

interesting idea, good luck with it. i imagine its the sort of thing that could be very popular with a lot of people. i for one have always had a lot of fun with the counterfactuals.
    Last edited by paullus; 12-12-2006 at 06:30.
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

I am just going to wish you good luck. Creative vision is yours and yours alone. The others are just helping to refine that. BUT IT IS YOUR VISION, that can push this through. Hope you don't lose heart on this, since it is SUPER KEWL...

You like EB? Buy CA games.

Norsemen did land on America, but the legend says that they where exterminated because they sold milk to the natives and it gave them cramps because they where not used to drink it. However, im not sure if they did established themselfs, or if they invaded someone.

Prussian Musketeer Member Faenaris's Avatar

Just taking a quick break from studying and I stumbled onto this thread.

This idea is pure gold! The possibilities, the fun, the creativity ... This mod is on my watchlist.
    Signature by Atterdag

"Hunde, wollt ihr ewig leben?" ("Dogs, do you want to live forever?") - Frederick II of Prussia at the battle of Kolin when adressing his fleeing Prussian soldiers.

Bump...When we get the tools, you could start development. I would like to join you both. If you do accept me, toghrthrt with some other ten people it could have an very good potential. We could be the next Europa Barbarum.

Edit: Ill make some concept art on Medieval Roman Legions. It can be fun for both of our art styles to clash, and later solidify into actuall potential.
    Last edited by Murfios; 02-04-2007 at 05:07.

I was thinking something like this

DuMP!

Really a good idea !

Caius , U've made the most beautiful RTW BI Mod (The Crusades) and now I see these drawings....Just Fantastic !!! The Best !!! Waiting for the romans ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12