Quote Originally Posted by TheLastPrivate
I just did a series of tests with voulgiers and venetian heavy infs.
I took both, none-upgraded, and pitted them, both with spear wall on/off. I tested this for 3 times each, and voulgiers were victorious in 5 cases out of 6 total trials. One loss was because voulgier general died first and the unit routed.
Voulgiers won mostly because VHI routed of general death, but the numbers were a bit in favor to the voulgiers as well. With both the 2h bug and shield-bug fixed i think this proves that voulgiers are better than most ppl assume them to be.

I just did another experiment pitting them against zwei handers, and voulgiers took care of them with much more ease. AP and spearwall mixed together is just too good. Their charge is 5, which doesn't suck much either.

All my experiments were done on grass terrain with Very Hard battle difficulty.

Of course, voulgiers are more expensive than VIH, but they can stop cavalry charges much better than VIH so its well worth it. They're weak to missile due to lack of shields but you have DFKs for that, and Dism. chivalrics in multiplayer as well.

With upgraded voulgiers in line, scots guard in back, aventurier in front, and lancers at flank and mounted french archers - my basic french army setup - its hard to beat. And it's so versatile too. You can practice my french-ed up version of macedonian phalanx line with voulgiers and cavalry, or you can add/substitute dism.feudals and dism.french knights for shock value, increase french mounted archers, etc.... just so much versatility and lacking in no category - Unlike Englsh who have piss-poor cavalry, and better ranged than HRE. Although the lack of musketeers is disheartening, you don't exactly need gunpowders all that much as heavy cavalry tactics work fine without gunpowder.

Wait..I don't even play French that extensively yet Ive become an advocate of their roster. Must be the lancers hands down, lol.
I did the same test voulgier vs the venetian heavy inf. with spear wall off and both parties were attacking 3 out of 4 times vfi won by a big margin and lost once by a very small margin. with the spear wall on the voulgiers lost both of the two tries. but I don't have the patch though. but still i am somewhat impressed, the voulgiers are a little better than their statistics.