Thread: Russia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Russia

Russia needs to be unlocked before you can play as them. To do this you can either complete a campaign (on any difficutly, long or short setting) with one of the five starting factions, or you can edit the preferences file. To do this open your Sega/M2TW folder/data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign, find the file called "descr_strat" and open it with wordpad. Now find the section which says
    Code:
    campaign      imperial_campaign
    playable
       england
       france
       hre
       spain
       venice
    end
    unlockable
       sicily
       milan
       scotland
       byzantium
       russia
       moors
       turks
       egypt
       denmark
       portugal
       poland
       hungary
    end
    nonplayable
       papal_states
       aztecs
       mongols
       timurids
       slave
    end
    Change it so it reads
    Code:
    campaign      imperial_campaign
    playable
       england
       france
       hre
       spain
       venice
       sicily
       milan
       scotland
       byzantium
       russia
       moors
       turks
       egypt
       denmark
       portugal
       poland
       hungary
    end
    nonplayable
       papal_states
       aztecs
       mongols
       timurids
       slave
    end
    Last edited by frogbeastegg; 11-13-2006 at 22:31.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

Default Re: Russia

Your first action as Russia should be to run as fast as you can to Kiev and Caffa, taking everything on the way. Its very important that the Byzantines/Poles NOT surround you. You do NOT want them coming at you from more than one direction. Initially, income will be an issue. I suggest building some merchants to help suppliment it a bit, send them to the silver sources in the HRE, the silk in Baghdad and maybe the spices/other resources in the middle east. This can take a while, but it is well worth it.
    War with the Poles is pretty much inevitable. You are far weaker than the HRE and the Poles are predisposed by the code to hate you :P
    The best way to deal with them at the start is to force them to assault your castles, since their cavalry is better than yours and Polish Nobles firing range is outside the 'run away' range of your HA's.
    If the Byzantines attack, HA's are your best bet. That and getting the Turks to attack them.
    Also, I suggest converting ALL of your 'frontline' cities (with borders to the Poles) into castles. They WILL be attacked and you are going to need the units to defend them. Russia's rouster of city-build units is composed of suck and crap, especially since its difficult to initially get anything past those horrible peasant archers.

In sieges, it is VITAL that you destroy the enemy ram. I find that most Russian units are pretty decent defending against Infantry on walls, but put them in the streets fighting cavalry and they lose all composure and die quite quickly. You can take siege towers and ladders initially, provided you have some guys to help you.
    My suggestion is that, if a vital city looks like it wont stand a siege, have a general (if you have one in/near the city) recruit all the Merc's he can. Sometimes sheer mass can substitute for quality. Your finances will take a hit, but I suggest you keep a bit of savings for such an event.
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

After a few battles I think I have this to say:

Russia initially has access to some pretty decent mercenaries, the Slavic Spearmen are decent enough and quite good at holding walls. They do better than your typical Spear Militia in combat with cavy as well.
    Alan light cavy is okay, but you can get better units cheaper in your cities. Only use them if you have to, mostly to bulk up prior to a siege.
    Cuman HA's are definitly okay units, theyre essentially Kazakh's which cost twice as much, but can be recruited anywhere, I dont think their upkeep is any higher than regular Kazakh's either.

Druzhina (sp?) are good initially, but I find that they are rapidly outclassed by mainstream European cavalry, you need to build a lot of them if you want to have any hope against the Poles once they get FK's, and even initially they can have trouble against the faster Polish Mounted Nobles. Theyre good for chasing down routers though. Their main disadvantage is their upkeep, which is something like 250 per unit.
    Boyar Son's are kinda meh, to me. The main advantage of javaline cavy is for use against non-javaline cavalry and infantry.
    But what is the Polish army's cavalry mostly made up of when these guys are still useful?
    Javaline cavalry.
    Since the Turks and Byzantines both have javy cavy/archer cavy as well, these guys arent much use unless you plan on sailing to France for some land. They have decent mellee stats, so I guess you can use them as bulk-troops. I also note that they seem a bit slower than Polish Nobles.

Kazakhs are, most likely, your most useful initial cavy. Theyre basic HA's, but the key point is that the Poles DONT have them. The disadvantage is that their skirmish range is short of the Polish spear-chucking range. Still, theyre good for harrassmen and even the occasional peasant-slaughter.
    A good strategy is to lure the main force of an enemy army away, and then use the Kazakhs to charge in and wipe out any siege weaponry they leave behind them. You'll take some casualties, but siege crews arent set up to fight cavalry.
    One or two stacks of 3-4 Kazakhs can put a SERIOUS dent in any invasion, used properly.

I havent had a chance to do much with them, but dismounted Boyar Sons seem like fairly basic dismounted knights.

Woodsmen seem almost totaly useless. Even against already-engaged enemies they die like flies. Good cannon fodder though and not expensive, so if your into that kamikazi thing, go for it.

My advice during sieges depends on who you are facing. If its the Poles or any cavy-heavy army, stick tight, put your archers on the walls and pepper those ram opereators with arrows. Your goal should be to keep the enemy cavalry OUT of the city. Infantry you can deal with, but for me it seems like the enemy always has a larger amount of guys on horses.
    A good tactic is to send a unit or two of light cavy and/or horse archers to the other gate(s, if its a city) and flank the enemy army. That way you can catch any siege weapons they leave behind AND put some extra arrows into the enemy flanks.

If it looks like a vastly superior enemy force is going to breach your gate, there is a simple tactic which may save your bacon. Take a unit of cheap units, or a unit which is almost dead (but make sure theres at least 10-20 of them left!) and have them charge the enemy ram. The guys manning the ram will stop, giving your archers another one or two volleys before they can get back to the ram! This means one or two more chances that you'll light that baby up like a greased Christmas tree.

A bit of advice on the campaign map. Ive found tha the Danes are generally pretty friendly, an alliance with them will boost your 'cool' rating with the other factions and may well set you on the way to glory. Ive got alliances with just about everybody on the map now, and trade agreements with everybody except Spain and Portugal, and in that case only because my diplomat is too slow.
    Russia with lots of trade agreements is an uber-economic powerhouse, those Black Sea ports pull in tons of cash. Just go and look at all the overlapping trade-routes which head out through the Straits of Marama (where Constantinople is).
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

I experienced something different. I took moscow, ryazan,helsinki,riga,vilnius and smolensk which provided my with enough settlements to afford technical progress. I prevented rushing to the black sea too fast in order to avoid open war too early. It worked - the poles attacked me but there were overrun by the danes. Hungaria and the byzantine ignored me. As russian general i had the most "crossed swords" signs on the map this far. I fought battles having only 7 units against stacks a twice or third that big. (remains me on playing as scythian in rome ) All in all in the beginnig i concetrated on purely cavalry, druzhina and lots of kazhaks. Later you get "uber archers" - the dismounted dvor. Late russia doeas really well so i suggest researching as fast as possible. The later russian infantry units are nice so i did warfare in turkish stile having 3 dvor archers and the same amount of cossack infantry (really nice) supplemented by only a few guarding infantry and 4 horse archers (mounted dvors (outstanding) + cossacks) shooting the enemy to bits. The cossack infantry does really well in ranged combat, its simple to gain and has not this high upkeep as expected.
    Russian has not this muliti large unit scale as other nations but its really worth playing.
    ^^
    try it

Russia is unfortunately a fairly poor area, not totally desolate but it takes longer to make as much cash as you can further west or south.

The Poles in particular I found to be a massive problem and especially on VH/H where they can simply out produce you, but you can get around this by using your cavalry which is what Russia is best at. I used a general and 4 Boyar Sons and 10 Kazhaks and hit Polands Capital, I had to sneak through their territory to do this and ambushes are fantastic with horse archers and boyar sons and easy to set up thanks to the number of trees around Russia/Poland.

(5 horse archers and 2 Boyar Sons each side of the enemy convoy and its shooting fish in a barrel and great fun to watch as the enemy turns this way and that way trying to sort their battle line out)

Once I’d sacked their cities and run off Poland wasn’t so much of a problem, I could then build up my cities using the money I’d got from them without having to expand my already stretched forces. The next time I invaded Poland it was for keeps!.

(Also because of the vast territory rebels can be a real pain, I suggest having an army of 2 Boyar Sons and 6 Kazhaks at each castle so they can ride out to deal with any that pop up)

after having played as England and the Danes I gotta say, Russia is quite more challenging and well fun.

I'm around 1300 now and I didn't find much problem until now.

I think before, Poland was constantly trying to take Vilnius and Kiev, but were unsuccessful because I put full garrisons of spear and archers (cheap and effective).

I don't think using cavalry a lot of is a good idea since they're more expensive and taking cities with them is a pain in the butt.
    Dismounted dvor however is a decent all around unit and I'm trying to build up a full army of them (they're highly armored warriors with very good missile skills, probably the best Russian infantry unit).

now, the way I started the game was by taking every visible rebel town, to the South and Southwest and then advanced east, taking the rest of the rebels. since I had 1 regions under my control, I had no problem with profits and the game was quite easy until now

What happened obviously the is the Mongolian invasion and it just so happens that as soon as they come, they lay a siege on Bulgar (eastern most town). but oddly enough, they do not take it and simply continue west. I assume it was a bug. they are advancing toward Kiev, so I'm massively evacuating the city since there's 4000 of them and I have less than an eight of that within 4 year of walk distance.

so I'm praying to my orthodox gods that they will only take kiev and continue west toward byzantine and hungary because there's not a chance right now that I can resist such an onslaught.
    I also started making plans and decided I'll move to scandinavia is things go bad, so my fleet is standing by with some of the reserve forces.

also while fighting Poland, I managed to sack Iasi and another fortress near it that was lightly guarded and added about 10 000 total to my funds. it so happens that while they were sending all their forces to Riga, I moved south and cost them two cities (which Hungarians swiftly took).

Like Sheogorath said, Kiev is early priority, to prevent being boxed in by the Hungarians and Polish.

Once I had castles I started making boyar sons. Leave fire at will on and set their skirmish off so you could use them like heavy cavalries, that shoot... Once the boyar sons get to silver experience they were unstoppable. They are also cheap and fast to retrain, not a bad unit imo.

Let me tell you, it gets friggin ridicluous. THe mongols evetually come and so do the timurids, like 10 black stacks with elephants (so stupid, never happened in history). Anyway I just quit. It's impossible to stop. I had Ryazan as a fortress knowing somethings going to come up out of the east, but it was hard enough on the western front. Just as Poland and hungary both were under control ... game over. I mean I could play, but it just doesn't seem fun anymore (and why would watching all those hours of gameplay building up settlements go up in somke to elephants shooting cannon balls). Can't grab anybody from the western front over to the east as I need them over there. Guess I'll play as England, heck can't be that hard, no elephants in scotland.

Oh WAH, no elephant cant stand up to my mighty siege weapon

Seriously though, its just a matter of finding ways around said elephants. You are trying to fight a non-European army with European tactics.

PROTIP:
    The Timurids and Mongols ARE NOT the Poles and Hungarians.

As to the massive amount of units they get, yes? The Russian states historically fell to the Mongols, youre fighting history sonny jim. Youve got the same attitude the Russians developed after some of their defeats.

Perk up. If all else fails, there is a time honoured Russian tactic that almost never fails:
    Meat waves!
    Build huge stacks of cheap units, as many as you can, and send those unfourtunates hurtling towards those elephants and 'unstoppable' armies of cavy. Auto-resolve said battles and those stacks will start to look smaller and smaller.

The basic idea is:
    Dont try to engage them at castles or forts. The Timurids will simply destroy your walls. You can do that with the mongols though, provided you have the defensive infantry/archers to keep them from busting your gates in and flooding uber-cavy into your city.

historically mongols took a huge chunk of Russia, just like it happens in the game (except mogolian AI is really dumb andI had them walk in circles for about 40 years) and Timurlane took Moscow.

ok he didn't have elephants, but you have to make it hard right...?

I think it's a good idea and by far I gotta say Russia is the hardest faction to play with. I haven't tried Turkey or Byzantine yet, but Turkey has one of the best units and Byzantine is bloody rich. Russia starts small and has crappy units.

now, I personally don't condone quitting and surrendering, so I'll provide a basic idea of how to fight both threats and what worked for me.

From the beginning, I would suggest taking every baltic city along with other cities up to armenia (but don't take armenia and georgia). turn most of them into cities except for the border ones which should be citadels.
    Riga and Vilnius and Novgorod are your best income sources and riga might get attacked by poles a few times, so keep it safe.

use orthodox priests to avoid unnecessary decent, especially since all your cities are so far away from each other, so the distance from capital dissent will be there.

it's gonna be a while before mongols come, so I'd suggest doing the following:

-annex denmark or at least take scandinavia - this is your backup resost (since nobody ever goes there) in case you get overwhelmed in Russia proper and have to retreat. turn Oslo and Stockholm into cities and build ports ports ports
    -get rid of poland as soon as possible to liberate one front.
    i've noticed only poland attacks repeatedly and aggressively. hungary does not.
    if hungary takes Iasi, they'll be happy with it.

Kiev is by far the hardest city to hold (you can turn it into citadel, but you won't get the income from black sea ports, which would be benefitial for you since you don't have much income to play with).

now as for units: most of your units suck and you really need to use brains to win battles.
    I think by far the most versatile and useful unit is dismounted dvor, it's only 150/turn and is average in price to purchase. they are excellent archers and quite good in melee combat. the only thing they should avoid are polish (or anyone else's) heavy cavalry, but for that you also get your spearmen which are slightly better than those of other factions.

I generally ignore making spears and simply build a huge force of dism dvor and later on (when you get them) mounted dvor and cossacks, to harass units in skirmish and lead them to my dismounted dvor traps.

cossacks are an excellent and cheap skirmishing unit. dvor is better because they're also a heavy cavalry unit, but that makes them slower.

both units can do parthian shot (i.e. shoot while moving) which makes them tremendously powerful. you can literally move in circles around the enemy and shower them with arrows while they're stupidly trying to catch you.

so skirmishing and dismounted dvor are the units I usually used for western battles.

when mongols arrive, within 20 or so years you get your other excellent unit - cossack musketeers. they are slightly worse than turk musketeers, but better than anything else anyone got.
    I would suggest using tons of them (even tho they're expensive to buy) against mongols. place them in front of everyone and use your dismounted dvor behind them for artillery shower. mongols usually start showering you too, so make sure you place them all looosely. your dvor is good at avoiding arrows and your muskeets have very long reach.
    also make sure to use landscape to your advantage. if you have more muskeeters, it's best to sit downhill so that you can always see your enemy, rather than sit up hill where you can only see them when they reach you (hills are round, so you can't see the enemy at the bottom of the hill if you're on top and thus can't really shoot them with a musket, but can shoo tthem with a bow).

but the best strategy against mongols is probably using your dvor and your muskets to distract, while your druzhina or other heavy horse units flank their infantry/missile units. now, since mongols pretty much have same good units you do plus they also have lancers, you are in a disadvantage, so simply try to kill them off slowly. catch their units when they're alone or with a weaker general and dessimate them slowly while they're trying to reach Kiev.

in my game they took kiev, but I sent army after army toward their positions and also used bridge that protects novgorod to trap their silly units (they're bad at bridge assaults), destroying their 10 or so armies one by one. eventually I took kiev and forced them out of my land, but there are obviously more of them in the south fighting the islam world.

as for timurids. if you do not take armenia/georgia, I think they should avoid you for a while and fight turkey/byzantine. that's what happened in my game. it's obvious that by the time they come, you might not be ready for another onslaught, but using same strategy and most importantly using your muskeeters as much as you can will work like a charm. use your cheap spear units to charge their elephants and use muskeeters to shoot at them, so that they go berserk. elephants seem to have issues with having thousands of arrows and bullets be thrown at them, so they panick and run away when musketers and dvor shower them with stuff.
    the rest of the units are similar to mongols, so it's really a matter of using the elephant thing to your advantage (i,e, showering them until they panic or trying to confuse your enemy with your swift cossack units)

you also get a decent berdiche unit (halberd looking axe) with a good attack rating which can work like a charm against infantry and elephants if you increase their armor rating to plate or so.
    but other than that, if you feel forced from your lands and losing all your territory - do what other did in that case, migrate west and become a nomad yourself. force the western nations out of their own lands with your retreating units.

if you took scandinavia, you can always take a refude there for a while until you rebuild your army and can try to retake your lands again.

so there you have it, russians never surrender:)

in conclusion, just a rehash of what units you might want to use:

-dismounted dvor: excellent overall unit, produced in citadel, needs last level archery range, rather than barracks. dual use, both great archer and good heavy infanty unit. I make tons of these
    -mounted dvor: same unit on the horse. needs citadel. heavy cavalry with a somewhat good archery skill. there are less of them and they are more expensive than dismounted dvor. needs archery range and stables. I make a few of these, maybe two per army
    -cossacks: your best skirmishers. needs citadel. fast and good shots. can perform parthian shot. I make a lot of these. 4-6 per army or they can even be their own army, just place them in opposite ends of the enemy force and make enemy run after them then charge them in the back
    -cossack musketeers: very good musket unit, needs gun range in a city. use this against any armor units, elephants or mongols. very long range, very powerful, but doesn't like arrows or charging horses, so protect them. they can fight like a light infantry unit. they're expensive, but are worth it
    -berdiche dudes: produced in city. unit with most attack, but only 10 or so defence. very long axes, so good against horses and armor. versatile and pretty good overall, but unfortunately die like ants if you leave them unchecked. I'd use these against anything western armies can throw at you that has a horse or even against elephants. they're shock troops, so avoid using them as guards. I tried them in birdge defence and they suck.

other citadel units that I never used:

-tsar's bodyguard - very heavy horse unit, but too expensive and too slow to be of any use. not as good as western units either, so I'd skip that one. they don't have bows etiher. mounted dvor is better overall
    -druzhina - your first heavy horse unit, but should be replaced with dvor as soon as you have them. also slow and no bows
    -boyar's sons - heavy unit with spears. not worth it I think because spears have very short range and they only have like two each. they're good for charging, but not excellent. pretty bad for skirmishing, so i'd skip these too
    -dismounted boyar's - they have same stats as distmounted dvor less the missile attack, so I don't see any real purpose in them. they do appear earlier than dismounted dvor, but they're pretty pointless (along with other unit with same stats, forgot the name)

so there you have it
    hope that helps

GarbageMan next door Member Miloshus's Avatar

ooooooook...Lets make it shorter
    Russians start with only one town-Novgorod
    Russians have weak infantry, and strong cavalry and archers.
    On the start recruit some diplomats and become ally with neighbouring factions. Start attacking rebel settelments on south and north.
    When you recrut some armies destroy your allies ,
    works fine 4 me.

Quote Originally Posted by lalartu View Post
    historically mongols took a huge chunk of Russia, just like it happens in the game (except mogolian AI is really dumb andI had them walk in circles for about 40 years) and Timurlane took Moscow.

ok he didn't have elephants, but you have to make it hard right...?

I think it's a good idea and by far I gotta say Russia is the hardest faction to play with. I haven't tried Turkey or Byzantine yet, but Turkey has one of the best units and Byzantine is bloody rich. Russia starts small and has crappy units.

now, I personally don't condone quitting and surrendering, so I'll provide a basic idea of how to fight both threats and what worked for me.

From the beginning, I would suggest taking every baltic city along with other cities up to armenia (but don't take armenia and georgia). turn most of them into cities except for the border ones which should be citadels.
    Riga and Vilnius and Novgorod are your best income sources and riga might get attacked by poles a few times, so keep it safe.

use orthodox priests to avoid unnecessary decent, especially since all your cities are so far away from each other, so the distance from capital dissent will be there.

it's gonna be a while before mongols come, so I'd suggest doing the following:

-annex denmark or at least take scandinavia - this is your backup resost (since nobody ever goes there) in case you get overwhelmed in Russia proper and have to retreat. turn Oslo and Stockholm into cities and build ports ports ports
    -get rid of poland as soon as possible to liberate one front.
    i've noticed only poland attacks repeatedly and aggressively. hungary does not.
    if hungary takes Iasi, they'll be happy with it.

Kiev is by far the hardest city to hold (you can turn it into citadel, but you won't get the income from black sea ports, which would be benefitial for you since you don't have much income to play with).

now as for units: most of your units suck and you really need to use brains to win battles.
    I think by far the most versatile and useful unit is dismounted dvor, it's only 150/turn and is average in price to purchase. they are excellent archers and quite good in melee combat. the only thing they should avoid are polish (or anyone else's) heavy cavalry, but for that you also get your spearmen which are slightly better than those of other factions.

I generally ignore making spears and simply build a huge force of dism dvor and later on (when you get them) mounted dvor and cossacks, to harass units in skirmish and lead them to my dismounted dvor traps.

cossacks are an excellent and cheap skirmishing unit. dvor is better because they're also a heavy cavalry unit, but that makes them slower.

both units can do parthian shot (i.e. shoot while moving) which makes them tremendously powerful. you can literally move in circles around the enemy and shower them with arrows while they're stupidly trying to catch you.

so skirmishing and dismounted dvor are the units I usually used for western battles.

when mongols arrive, within 20 or so years you get your other excellent unit - cossack musketeers. they are slightly worse than turk musketeers, but better than anything else anyone got.
    I would suggest using tons of them (even tho they're expensive to buy) against mongols. place them in front of everyone and use your dismounted dvor behind them for artillery shower. mongols usually start showering you too, so make sure you place them all looosely. your dvor is good at avoiding arrows and your muskeets have very long reach.
    also make sure to use landscape to your advantage. if you have more muskeeters, it's best to sit downhill so that you can always see your enemy, rather than sit up hill where you can only see them when they reach you (hills are round, so you can't see the enemy at the bottom of the hill if you're on top and thus can't really shoot them with a musket, but can shoo tthem with a bow).

but the best strategy against mongols is probably using your dvor and your muskets to distract, while your druzhina or other heavy horse units flank their infantry/missile units. now, since mongols pretty much have same good units you do plus they also have lancers, you are in a disadvantage, so simply try to kill them off slowly. catch their units when they're alone or with a weaker general and dessimate them slowly while they're trying to reach Kiev.

in my game they took kiev, but I sent army after army toward their positions and also used bridge that protects novgorod to trap their silly units (they're bad at bridge assaults), destroying their 10 or so armies one by one. eventually I took kiev and forced them out of my land, but there are obviously more of them in the south fighting the islam world.

as for timurids. if you do not take armenia/georgia, I think they should avoid you for a while and fight turkey/byzantine. that's what happened in my game. it's obvious that by the time they come, you might not be ready for another onslaught, but using same strategy and most importantly using your muskeeters as much as you can will work like a charm. use your cheap spear units to charge their elephants and use muskeeters to shoot at them, so that they go berserk. elephants seem to have issues with having thousands of arrows and bullets be thrown at them, so they panick and run away when musketers and dvor shower them with stuff.
    the rest of the units are similar to mongols, so it's really a matter of using the elephant thing to your advantage (i,e, showering them until they panic or trying to confuse your enemy with your swift cossack units)

you also get a decent berdiche unit (halberd looking axe) with a good attack rating which can work like a charm against infantry and elephants if you increase their armor rating to plate or so.
    but other than that, if you feel forced from your lands and losing all your territory - do what other did in that case, migrate west and become a nomad yourself. force the western nations out of their own lands with your retreating units.

if you took scandinavia, you can always take a refude there for a while until you rebuild your army and can try to retake your lands again.

so there you have it, russians never surrender:)

in conclusion, just a rehash of what units you might want to use:

-dismounted dvor: excellent overall unit, produced in citadel, needs last level archery range, rather than barracks. dual use, both great archer and good heavy infanty unit. I make tons of these
    -mounted dvor: same unit on the horse. needs citadel. heavy cavalry with a somewhat good archery skill. there are less of them and they are more expensive than dismounted dvor. needs archery range and stables. I make a few of these, maybe two per army
    -cossacks: your best skirmishers. needs citadel. fast and good shots. can perform parthian shot. I make a lot of these. 4-6 per army or they can even be their own army, just place them in opposite ends of the enemy force and make enemy run after them then charge them in the back
    -cossack musketeers: very good musket unit, needs gun range in a city. use this against any armor units, elephants or mongols. very long range, very powerful, but doesn't like arrows or charging horses, so protect them. they can fight like a light infantry unit. they're expensive, but are worth it
    -berdiche dudes: produced in city. unit with most attack, but only 10 or so defence. very long axes, so good against horses and armor. versatile and pretty good overall, but unfortunately die like ants if you leave them unchecked. I'd use these against anything western armies can throw at you that has a horse or even against elephants. they're shock troops, so avoid using them as guards. I tried them in birdge defence and they suck.

other citadel units that I never used:

-tsar's bodyguard - very heavy horse unit, but too expensive and too slow to be of any use. not as good as western units either, so I'd skip that one. they don't have bows etiher. mounted dvor is better overall
    -druzhina - your first heavy horse unit, but should be replaced with dvor as soon as you have them. also slow and no bows
    -boyar's sons - heavy unit with spears. not worth it I think because spears have very short range and they only have like two each. they're good for charging, but not excellent. pretty bad for skirmishing, so i'd skip these too
    -dismounted boyar's - they have same stats as distmounted dvor less the missile attack, so I don't see any real purpose in them. they do appear earlier than dismounted dvor, but they're pretty pointless (along with other unit with same stats, forgot the name)

so there you have it
    hope that helps

Excellent man, i had not captured Armenia or Georgia and i think that is why the Mongols are still wandering but i think i can apply your strategy, seemed pretty fascianting

everybody hates the russians, on VH campaign it's virtually impossible to establish any alliance, so handling the hordes will be a solo mission.

all the dismounted russian 'knights' are virtually the same, moral difference but not noticiable IMO. Only advantage of russian during late period is its musketeers, with stats of handgunners and long range weapons.

On my VH/VH campaign, after taking out poland and hungry I had to hold out for 17 turns to prepare for mongols. Going west at that point meaning getting tangled into serie of little regions and 4 factions to deal with...

Getting alliances with Russia requires moving fast. You need to snag a bunch of cities quickly, then make an alliance with whoever seems weakest (and isnt at war with anybody you want to ally to). Then you can climb the ladder, so to speak, until you have some decent alliances.
    Not that they'll help you that much, since your only neighbors dislike you.
    However, you can cow the Turks by smashing anything they send your way and maybe grabbing a few of their far-north cities if you go that far east, theyve generally left me alone after a sound beating.

I have seem to take a very different take with my Russian campaign. Playing on H/H.

I have moved south into Kiev for the money, but otherwise I am a naval power. My empire is built along the Baltic Coast. I had some early run ins with Poland as I took Kiev and kept them out of Ryazan and Moscow to my back. Then as retribution for the attacks I took Thorn before calling a ceasefire. I loaded up with cheap units in Kiev and Thorn then sent my armies north into Scandanavia. I built a second army at Thorn and sailed into Magdeburg. I am currently at war with HRE (an ally of the Danes) and besieging Stettin to complete my Baltic circle. Once I take Stettin, I think we will have a ceasefire while I build up and wait for the Mongols. If there is enough time I might take out Scotland to have a few more ports and a base for expansion into England later. I really only have two large armies in this region but I control the waters and can have my army anywhere its needed. One thing that was vital to this process was blocking the land bridge from Denmark to Sweden. It took awhile to get the Stockholm under control and I needed some time to stay garrisoned there. I just kept the Danes locked up on the continent against the English and built up. Then when I was ready I actually skipped straigt to the fortress at Magdeburg then backtracked to Denmark.

As for battle strategy I seem VERY different. I avoid fighting in settlements at all costs. I use two seperate armies, one made up of cheap infantry, bowmen and seige equipment and one made up of cavalry. When defending, I hole up my infantry and send my cavarly out to make several attacks on any invading army. I do as much damage as I can before running out of arrows or getting pinned in somewhere - then I run like hell. I can usually get in two or three of these attacks before an army reaches my settlements. Its a long way to anywhere in Russia.

When attacking I use a similar strategy. I move to the emptiest settlement I can find, often behind the lines, and lay seige with my infantry. Then when they sally from another settlement to defend, I attack with my cavalry in the open. Usually this wipes them out.

The key to this strategy is to accept retreat over a body count with your cavalry. You win more than you lose, but you still retreat a lot. Its great for your units since you rack up experience, but bad for your generals since you rack up losses. I have two armies of about 3 each Boyar sons, Khazaks, Druhzinas. Nearly all of the units are up in the silver in experience. I usually keep my best generals out of the harrying attacks and let lower level generals take the command hit and then use their bodygaurd recklessly.

When the Mongols show up I plan to use lots of cheap infantry and seige equipment at all the fordes around Kiev and a lot of woodmen and crossbows in the forests up around Moscow. All pretty cheap. If they get through i'll just pull back both armies toward Smolensk and hug the coast, hoping they spread south against the Turks and thin out.

Man, you guys are right in saying Russia can be pretty damn hard to play. Those Polish just keep on coming and then those Danish. Ugh: it's going slowly. But I've pushed them back and have taken two new fresh towns from them :)

The bottleneck is the weak infantry, so you should mostly rely on a woman's stratagem of throwing things at them :P (I love that line of those general speeches, lol). They make me think of Scythia from Rome... with their horse archers. Well, it's basically the same area anyway :)

In all the factions I've checked out, playing as Russia, Poland is by far the worst early enemy I've ever encountered. Their Polish Nobles missile cavalry is annoying to take care of, just like most missile cavalry anyway.

Question though: do the Russians also get gunpowder cavalry? Never tried them out yet, but I do know HRE has them.
    Emotion, passions, and desires are, thus peace is not.
    Emotion: you have it or it has you.

---

Pay heed to my story named The Thief in the Mead Hall.
    No.

---

Check out some of my music.

I started a H/VH game as Russia. Timescale is 0.5 (nothing else modded).

I quickly allied with the Danes and also the Polish. I guess the Polish will attack you no matter what and this is because they are at peace with the other factions. The game is coded so that AI factions always go to war if they are at peace with all their neighbours and I think this is the case. The player is the preferred target...

So, if you want a break from the polish invasions, ally with them and try to gift them up. Then try to get them to attack some other faction (byzantium or hungary would be prime targets).

My first invasion was Helsinki and then I went for Riga and Vilnius. Later I took the first line of provinces up to Ryazan.

So far I seem to be unbeatable on the field since I only bring kazaks and boyar sons to engagements in the field - maybe a few druzina as well (the lance cav).

I would not disregard the "weaker" russian cav too much. Of course later you get the better versions, but for the start the basic units should do. Maybe it is a bit harder than the other factions...

The diplomacy part with the polish seems to be weird. I suppose their attacks are forced (as I describe earlier) and once they lose one big battle they are quickly ready for ceasefire. The fun part is that they pay 15000 florins for the privilege. Also, after ceasefire you can sell them trade rights for some florins too (unless they used all of their treasury).

It seems that once they pay up, it takes a while for them to make up good armies to assault again.

So, overall, the polish are easy to beat. You can basically upkeep a big enough stack of cavalry to repel them with the money you get when you beat their army when they attack. Then sue for ceasefire and repeat this...

I have allied with HRE, English and Danish now that the game has gone some 100 turns forward. Polish are either neutral or at war. To keep relations up, I would recommend gifting the AI factions regularly with 300-400 florins. Also, I tend to pay them tribute 100/turn.

I also have tried to keep away from having a land border with other factions than the Polish to avoid the forced AI attacks... I try to upgrade my settlements first to huge size before trying to take out the polish entirely.

This is merely a weird preference against blizing. I also tend to press the End turn button a lot but this is because of the 0.5 timescale.

As for developing the economy, it seems that Helsinki, Riga and novgorod are good places for cities and sea trade is a good focus. I got a master merchant's guild to Novgorod.

Merchants seem to be amazing for Russians. A good way to level them up is to take them into sweden to sit on the iron (2 of them) - try to monopolize the iron at all times. A 5 finance merchant can make some 100 florins per turn off the iron and even levels up nicely (they start at 2-4).

Once I get to about 6-7 finance I use ships to take them to Flanders or denmark. Just recently I found that sitting a 8 finance merchant on the textiles in netherlands area (sout of england) can make me over 400 florins per turn off the single merchant! amazing! Just be sure to take a spy along to avoid other high level merchants and to make quick acquisitions of low level merchants in the area.

I calculated that I can make up to 800-900 florins/turn off the four mid to high level merchants that I have currently. This is a good bunch of money compared to my total income and I get more when I can take out enemy merchants too. and there is little reason to go beyond the textiles in northern France.
    Total war games played so far:
    STW, MTW, MTW:VI, RTW, MTW2, ETW, STW2

[QUOTE=rios;1332459]everybody hates the russians, on VH campaign it's virtually impossible to establish any alliance, so handling the hordes will be a solo mission.

JUST ALLY WITH THE HORDES AND DESTROY EUROPE!

BYZANTIUM WILL ENDURE ANY INFIDEL ASSAULT!
    (General 129)

I've found it almost impossible to ally with the hordes. In my most recent game I expanded to Ryazan and had to deal with repeated attacks by the Mongols at Ryazan and the timurid hordes attacking Kiev. Every attempt I made at diplo with them was rejected,hell it was hard enough keeping those damn elephants out of my cities, I only survived due to the fact that I had crushed poland earlier and my Cossack musket spam at all my cities that would be threatened by the hordes,and had alliances with most of the surrounding nations,so I could concentrate at the threat at hand.

Slow left-arm orthodox Member Calgacus's Avatar

In common with pretty much everyone else here, starting as Russia I proceeded with a mixture of caution and tempered expansionism, and soon found myself being handed my little furry Cossack hat on a plate by Poland, Hungary, and Denmark to the point where my economy rapidly spiralled into terminal decline. So, I re-started, but this time I made international diplomacy the centre of my approach. I launched an all-out charm offensive from turn one. While the standing armies were sent off to secure rebel-held Iasi, Vilnius and Riga, I started building diplomats, and sent them off as soon as possible to make contact with three key powers: Poland, the Pope, and the Byzantines.

This strategy (such as it is) is based on the notion that as Russia's early period armies are a bit, well, naff, and the economy is fragile, it would be better to avoid war for as long as possible, while teching up the country's economy and military establishment furiously behind the scenes.

The first state to establish friendly relations with is Poland. Initially, they don't like you, they will attack you, and they're right next to you. If you can get a diplomat to them and start giving them trade rights and map information, followed by a hefty chunk of your starting money (around 5,000 florins should do it) you can get an alliance. This slowly begins to improve your international reputation. Once your diplomat reaches the Papal States, go through the same procedure, and secure the Pope's allegiance: this (I think) makes it less likely that Catholic factions will go to town on you. Certainly this has worked for me. Finally, the Byzantines seemed like appropriate alliance material for several reasons. They are the only other Orthodox faction in the game, so I assumed that they might be stauncher allies than the Catholic factions. More importantly, they were near my south-western frontier, and might help me out if the Poles or Hungarians kicked off. I sent a diplomat and a princess to Constantinople, and, after a ridiculous amount of bribery, secured an alliance and a royal marriage. I rejected Hungary as allies, again for several reasons: the Hungarians are weaker than the Poles, and therefore less of a threat to Russia. They also have contiguous borders with Poland and the Byzantines, meaning that sooner or later you are going to have to break the alliance, with possible penalties for your international reputation.

After this point I secured my Scandanavian holdings through an alliance with Denmark. The more alliances, the better your reputation, and so the easier it is to get further allies. It is vital to keep your relations with these key allies up to the 'Outstanding' or 'Perfect' level with regular, small gifts of money, administered every couple of turns by diplomats stationed in their territory.

This was all done with the approach of the dread Mongols in mind; I most certainly did not want them turning up near Sarkel and traipsing through my beautifully administered state, slaughtering, pillaging and generally being ill-mannered. So, I stationed a diplomat near Tblisi to intercept them. After about 60 turns of fostering international harmony, building up my economy, and not fighting wars, my reputation was 'Very Reliable'; I was also filthy rich because I hadn't needed to build masses of troops. As soon as the Mongol Hordes arrived (east of Yerevan), I improved relations with them through the distribution of liberal donatives, and then a couple of turns later hit them with 8,000 florins and a request for alliance. They accepted and happily toddled off to sack Asia Minor, leaving the sacred soil of Russia unviolated.

Now, by the time they start threatening to break through Constantinople and approach Iasi, my Dismounted Dvor and accompanying high-calibre troops will be ready in my western fortresses (no legions of pitiful clown militia waving tiny spears for me). Also, the Mongols' war with the Byzantines (once they've polished off the Turks) will provide me with a legitimate excuse to break the alliance with them, and fight them in conjunction with the Byzantines (and possibly the Poles/Hungarians) in the West, while opening up a second front using troops at Sarkel, and moving down through Tblisi and Yerevan. Hopefully, by the time the Timurids invade I'll have thought of a way of stopping their ghastly Arakanese Zebra Gunners, or whatever other ahistorical tosh their armies are composed of this week...
    Last edited by Calgacus; 11-09-2009 at 19:22.
    Calgacus

[Exit, pursued by a bear]

I may be strange but I don't use dis dvor much if all all, I like relying on my cossack musketters once I get them to win battles,and for that I need decent pikes. so I usually hire some Landsknecht pikemen,as they are avaliable quite near my territory. Add some artillery to that,and against the poles/hungarians and there calv-heavy armies-I usually stand a good chance of winning battles,provided I choose my battlefield wisely and make sure they can't outflank me,or get behind my pikes,as by the time they get to my forces,there morale has been reduced by mass musketfire and artillery,to the point that they mostly rout as soon as they hit my pike-line.