Thread: How do I get more Generals?

Question How do I get more Generals?

I've read the FAQ several times and never seems to touch on how you can get more generals. Right now I'm playing English on Medium difficulty all the way around. I've got several armies but i'm running low on generals for these armies.

How can I increase my amount of generals?

King Philippe of France Senior Member _Tristan_'s Avatar

Default Re: How do I get more Generals?

Many solutions to that problem :

1 - wait for your king's sons to come of age or marry your princess.
    2 - use captain-led armies fights with unfavorable odds (1:1 or less) and win those fights. It should get you "Man of the Hour" offers.
    3 - expand your territories. The game should propose generals for adoption up to the number of territories your are holding.

As a last solution, you can resort to modding and make Generals recruitable in any line of building you wish (castles come to mind particularly...)
    Last edited by _Tristan_; 09-16-2010 at 08:19.
    King Baldwin the Tyrant, King of Jerusalem, Warden of the Holy Sepulchre, Slayer of Sultans in the Crusades Hotseat (new write-up here and previous write-up here)
    Methodios Tagaris, Caesar and Rebelin LotR
    Mexica Sunrise : An Aztec AAR

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

There are the random adoptions too! :)
    Silence is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by A Nerd View Post
    There are the random adoptions too! :)
    Tristan covered that.

I just want to claify that you need teritories to get generals, I have won insane battles without getting "a man of the hour", I assume because one can only get so many, so now I turn down the ones I don't want.

Oh, and to get "man of the hour" you need to do the battles, like Tristan said; with an army that doesn't have a general, but he forgot to mention that you have to do it in the field. That is, not defending or taking a settlement.

Quote Originally Posted by Alrik View Post

I just want to claify that you need teritories to get generals, I have won insane battles without getting "a man of the hour", I assume because one can only get so many, so now I turn down the ones I don't want.
    Exactly... You can't have adoptions if your total number of generals equals or exceeds your number of territories. For proof, when you have an equal number of territories/generals, conquer a single territory, and you should get an adoption offer on the next turn.

Oh, and to get "man of the hour" you need to do the battles, like Tristan said; with an army that doesn't have a general, but he forgot to mention that you have to do it in the field. That is, not defending or taking a settlement.
    I'm quite sure I've already had MoH offers when fighting sieges (but perhaps was it because the enemy sallied forth...)
    King Baldwin the Tyrant, King of Jerusalem, Warden of the Holy Sepulchre, Slayer of Sultans in the Crusades Hotseat (new write-up here and previous write-up here)

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

Could be a difficulty thing, I have a vague memory of that happening in RTW, but I have never encountered it in MTW2. them sallying froth hasn't helped me in that regard, though admitedly I'm usually over the walls before they have even the option of sallying, never liked long sieges...it halts my expansion, I can only afford so many armies :P

No need of long sieges to lead the AI to sally... You only need to attack a 5 or 6 unit garrison with only a cavalry unit and sure as hell they will sally

Plus your losses will be greatly compensated by the creation of the BG unit and a leftover form the former cav unit...

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan de Castelreng View Post
    Exactly... You can't have adoptions if your total number of generals equals or exceeds your number of territories. For proof, when you have an equal number of territories/generals, conquer a single territory, and you should get an adoption offer on the next turn.
    I can definetly dispute this, I haven't had a "man of the hour" for at least fifteen turns, possibly well over twenty. And I have all 106 teritories now and have just 65 generals, if I caount all chindren and unmarried adult ladies as generals I get a total of 80. Sure I'm playing VH, I do find it likely that the total generals granted are related to one's campaign dificulty setting.

I also think it might be possible that one can't get a MotH when using a full stack and all units survive (as it might be interpreted as there being no room for him), I can't remember ever getting one in such a senario at least.