Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Update to M2TW...

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

Default Re: Update to M2TW...

First off, you'll always need more graphicspower to run native resolution
    With his hardware this is hardly a problem.

And second, the only real benefit of a widescreen IMO is that DVDs and some games are well, wider, but I personally like the 5:4 aspect ratio better, I never understood the widescreen hype
    In TW games it gives you a panoramic view. I like it. Its much better than my old 19 inch CRT although I grant a 22 inch regular monitor looks much bigger.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain of Orkeny
    With his hardware this is hardly a problem.
    If he cannot afford new hardware in one or two years, it will become a problem.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

irst off, you'll always need more graphicspower to run native resolution and same settings as on a smaller screen, lowering resolution results in a worse picture.
    So turn the settings down a bit - the size makes up for it.

A 8800 will have no problems though

And second, the only real benefit of a widescreen IMO is that DVDs and some games are well, wider,
    Have you tried using one? I used to be a skeptic like you, then I got one for myself and you really do notice the difference, if not in games such as the TW ones but in FPSs...

Productivity wise, it's also very nice to be able to have both a word doc and a browser open at the same time

but I personally like the 5:4 aspect ratio better,
    It's 4:3, and 1280x1024 is not a valid 4:3 ratio anyway - no idea why they changed it for that one resoultion.
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

May I ask, would a 600W PSU would be enough for this Godzilla?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Well, depends a lot on the brand, if you get a good brand, it should suffice I think. I'm running an E6600 with a 7950GT and 2GB RAM on a Levicom 450W PSU and everything seems fine. Just don't get a cheapo PSU.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Thanks for the heads up. I was kind of worried because a 600W would cost me an additional 200-250 dollars which I would not want to waste.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

Well, depends a lot on the brand, if you get a good brand, it should suffice I think. I'm running an E6600 with a 7950GT and 2GB RAM on a Levicom 450W PSU and everything seems fine. Just don't get a cheapo PSU.

I have a 6600 and an 8800 vid card with a 500w psu and no problems. Before that I had a 6400 with a 7950gt and a 450w raidmax psu and no problems.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Oh, big mistake, just remembered my PSU does not have 450Watt, it has "only" 420...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345