Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 0.8x AI Faction Progression

Default Re: 0.8x AI Faction Progression

I observered it to, I played some test campaings (casse, pahlav, hayasdan) and they were always losing.

Could someone tell me how I can change to hotkey for bringing up the command screen (currently ~ ), because I can't type that character ingame (I have a different keyboard, not querty) so I can't get the fow down to post my campaign-progress so far.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

I don't know if you can change the hotkeys, I think not. What keyboard do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucasiewicz
    Could someone tell me how I can change to hotkey for bringing up the command screen (currently ~ ), because I can't type that character ingame (I have a different keyboard, not querty) so I can't get the fow down to post my campaign-progress so far.
    Edit: THIS below doesn't seem to work for savegames. Sry.

You could try the long way, if you can't use the dropdown menu through ~

- Go to C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome1.5 - EB\EB\preferences (or your custom install folder)
    - backup preferences.txt
    - open up preferences.txt
    - change FOG_OF_WAR:TRUE in FOG_OF_WAR:FALSE
    - save and exit
    - Start up EB, load your game, take a screenshot
    - exit EB
    - open up preferences.txt and change back FALSE in TRUE or restore the backup of point 2.
    Last edited by Oleo; 12-12-2006 at 18:18.
    EB member

250BC - Me is Romani.

Quote Originally Posted by Casuir
    Nother 20 years as Casse.
    Haha! Pontos got sucker punched. They tried to take Sinope, failed to hold it, then those KH troops that they created took Amaseia and destroyed Pontos as a faction. First time I've seen that happen.

Love to see these really longer term campaigns. We see a ton of 262 and 252 ones, but the longer folks play, the more interested we are in seeing what happens.

Were you playing on bi.exe Casuir? Seeing the romans put ashore at Thermon makes me think so.

Try the key under your esc button.

My Romani campaign - year 255. No substantial movement, though I'm now in year 252 and will make a post at 250 B.C. because there has been quite a bit of movement over the past three years and it seems like a lot more is going to happen soon. Well, at least in my part of the world.

Last edited by Septimus; 12-12-2006 at 22:17.

Here's an update on my Carthy campaign.

The coolest story here is the defense of Demetrias by the Maks. Wow is it epic. It's been under siege for over a decade, constantly, by both the Greek Cities and the Epirotes who are allies in the war. And against all odds, it held everytime. Countless battles, countless lives lost on both sides. Their faction leader was in there for the majority of the fighting, however he did try to flee a couple of times up north. He was always intercepted by Epirote armies and came back. At one point, the Maks brought in some reinforcement from Mytilene via ships; a general and a couple of units. Now the two fought together for a few years and defended well. Then before I know it, the faction leader makes another run for it and this time escapes. He went up north and back around to get to their other remaining city. The other general was left alone, but he proved to be able to defend well himself. The story has a sad ending for the Maks though. Shortly after this screenshot was taken in the Spring of 242, the city fell to a large Epirote army. A valiant effort by all concerned, fighting off the relentless attackers, year after year, battle after battle. It was awesome.

You know, for an unfinished faction, Saba kicks some major Arsé. Also, I'm pleased to report that there have been no sand wars in this campaign and my alliance with the Ptolemies has held strong for over 30 years now. Of course, the 500 mnai/turn tribute I offer them regularly for 5 year periods at a time doesn't hurt either. In fact, the only time alliances were broken were by me, when I cancelled them to take out the Lusotanan and kick out the Epirotes from Italy. That, by the way, was an epic battle as they had built up over two full stack armies around Taras. My faction leader Hamalcar with his main army, reinforced by his son Hamalcar (should be fixed to be Hamilcar) with his mercenary army took on the Epirote warriors. Great stuff. Here's a screen of the stats just to get an idea.

Battle of Taras

Interesting that with the reduced Sand Wars (as far as I've seen), the Ptolemies are always doing really well against the Seleucids. In my Roman campaign, the Sels are almost completely wiped out; the Ptolemies took all of their Western lands while Baktria picked off the lands that revolt in the East. Will post a pic soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Teleklos Archelaou
    Were you playing on bi.exe Casuir? Seeing the romans put ashore at Thermon makes me think so.
    Yep, lot of fighting for the islands going on. I'll try and keep updating, but the turns are getting longer and spare time is getting shorter

Quote Originally Posted by Cheexsta
    Interesting that with the reduced Sand Wars (as far as I've seen), the Ptolemies are always doing really well against the Seleucids. In my Roman campaign, the Sels are almost completely wiped out; the Ptolemies took all of their Western lands while Baktria picked off the lands that revolt in the East. Will post a pic soon.
    but what's really cool is the Seleukid counter-attack, which we can see in Wonderland's. I'm really happy to see that, its like the Syrian Wars.
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

Quote Originally Posted by Gertgregoor
    Try the key under your esc button.
    That did the magical trick. What wonders a fellow Belgian can do, because I'm using the all Belgian azerty-keyboard, but as it seems, that doesn't even matter as the game treats my keybaord as a regular querty-board. Only I didn't know where the ~ was on such a keyboard. Anyways...

This image is taken the fall of 244 BC. and shows some nice devellopments. Worth saying is that I'm playing the Parthians, so you might now want to look to much at the Bactrians, because I'm being their pain in the arse, but, on the other hand, I'm whiping them out because they were becoming to strong! Really, Bactria showed some nice expansion early on in the game.

The biggest noticeable thing, is the Seleucid expansion (or is that because I, as their enemy focus to much on them? ). They're defenitely whiping the Ptolemies their butts, only look at their expansion in Asia Minor and Syria . They also gained a footstep in the Indus-delta and the Arabian desert, which they didn't have at the beginning.

Other nice thing worth noticing, is the Sweboz expansion. They've conquered a fair amount of provinces, almost all of them in the western direction.

Other expanding factions are the Romani and Khart-Hadasht, but we've come to expect nothing less of them. The Romani kicked Epeiros out of Italicum and are now trying to secure their northern Italian border, but is facing a strong Aedui their, who are giving the Arverni a very hard time. Further more the Khart-Hadasht (but that also what we expect of them) are also giving the Romani a hard time, as well on Sicily as in the mainland of Italy.

What next? It looks like Macedonia found a way to pull itself together and survive the first decades and has been expanding slowly in last ones, with a nice firm hold of one side of the Bosporus. Epeiros recently started a new expansion northwarhts, since they've been expelled from Italy and allready gained some territory. The Sarmatians also gained some provinces, which is something I find very pleasing. It beats my expectations.

Pontus, Casse, Lusotana, Sabateans, Daha Rauka and the Getai are seemingly at more or less status-quo positions. Lusotana seemed to have a expansion problem EB is allready aware of, some goes for some extend to the Daha Rauka. I don't know what about Pontus and the Getai. As for the Sabateans, they're facing a very powerfull Seleucid nation in their borderland in my game, but the gave what it seems still enough rebel-provinces left, though I don't know lots about the rebel strengt in that region.

The only faction I left out till now, are the Armenians, but only because I'm ignorant of their starting positions. Have they expanded yet?

Some review:

Last edited by Lucasiewicz; 12-13-2006 at 18:59.

That did the magical trick. What wonders a fellow Belgian can do, because I'm using the all Belgian azerty-keyboard, but as it seems, that doesn't even matter as the game treats my keybaord as a regular querty-board. Only I didn't know where the ~ was on such a keyboard. Anyways...
    That's why I asked. I tought it might have been an azerty. I have one to, it took me ages to find the bloody key. Btw: nce shots.

Your armenians look to have taken one city: Kotais.
    Your Seleukids look scary. By the looks of it you are probably the only regional power capable of stopping them!

Quote Originally Posted by Kugutsu
    Your armenians look to have taken one city: Kotais.
    Your Seleukids look scary. By the looks of it you are probably the only regional power capable of stopping them!
    Well, let's repeat history!
    If only there phalanxes didn't pose such great danger for my Pahla shivatir. There armor is still too impenetrable at the moment. It takes to much horse-archers to bring them down. I'm still waiting for better units to come available first. Have gotten much time to devellop my cities fully yet, with the war against Bactria, but by taking their former homeland provinces, money from their mines is strolling into my pockets

Here is year 250 BC of my Lusotannan campaign.

Been struggling for years with Celtiberia. Two spawned rebel generals have decimated almost 3 stacks of mine in piece meal.

Notes:
    Carthago has lost it's provinces in Iberia to rebels! Wild!
    Seleucids are big in arabia.
    Getai and Casse haven't expanded at all.
    Makedonia is down to Lesbos.
    Arverni has been protectorate of Rome for a long time.
    Call me Ruma. Puupertti Ruma.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupertti Ruma

Here is year 250 BC of my Lusotannan campaign.

Been struggling for years with Celtiberia. Two spawned rebel generals have decimated almost 3 stacks of mine in piece meal.

Notes:
    Carthago has lost it's provinces in Iberia to rebels! Wild!
    Seleucids are big in arabia.
    Getai and Casse haven't expanded at all.
    Makedonia is down to Lesbos.
    Arverni has been protectorate of Rome for a long time.
    Wow indeed! Carthage being kicked out of Iberia by the rebels is great. Romans being bottlenecked in north Italy by Aedui and Epeiros is wonderful too. Pontos taking Byz and Tylis too is pretty cool. Don't be fooled by Arabia - seleukids have Gerrhaia and Dumatha, but they are crappy - two of the worst provinces in the game. The seleucids lost Syria and Babylon among others, so they will be hurting badly.

Actually, about three years earlier, Romans had Mediolanium, but apparently they lost it, probably due to revolt, right?
    Call me Ruma. Puupertti Ruma.

fancy assault unit Member blank's Avatar

Hey how come you still have the ''vanilla-style'' cities in your screenshots? Mine are quite different (the new models they added)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullheadhq View Post
    Now I can even store my dick in EB underwear

Quote Originally Posted by blank
    Hey how come you still have the ''vanilla-style'' cities in your screenshots? Mine are quite different (the new models they added)
    Are you referring to my screenshot I posted? If you are, then I have no idea why that is. A bug?

I don't think it is. I certainly haven't seen any new City/Town icons.
    When Adam delved and Eve span, Who was then the gentleman? From the beginning all men by nature were created alike, and our bondage or servitude came in by the unjust oppression of naughty men. For if God would have had any bondsmen from the beginning, he would have appointed who should be bound, and who free. And therefore I exhort you to consider that now the time is come, appointed to us by God, in which ye may (if ye will) cast off the yoke of bondage, and recover liberty. - John Ball

New settlements? Dude, you must have an EB version from the future then!

fancy assault unit Member blank's Avatar

Here's what they look like:

Quote Originally Posted by Skullheadhq View Post
    Now I can even store my dick in EB underwear

Quote Originally Posted by Justiciar
    I don't think it is. I certainly haven't seen any new City/Town icons.
    Maybe he has the culture-different models mistaken for vanilla or new models?

Odd. The GUI is all wrong too..
    When Adam delved and Eve span, Who was then the gentleman? From the beginning all men by nature were created alike, and our bondage or servitude came in by the unjust oppression of naughty men. For if God would have had any bondsmen from the beginning, he would have appointed who should be bound, and who free. And therefore I exhort you to consider that now the time is come, appointed to us by God, in which ye may (if ye will) cast off the yoke of bondage, and recover liberty. - John Ball

Yeah, that's quite weird. I wonder if the rest of the game is "EB"? But it's not using the interface files at all. Strange stuff you've got going on there blank.

EBII Mapper and Animator Member -Praetor-'s Avatar

That`s 0,74 with some prom`s additions and the resource addon.

Notice the vainilla seleukid icon on the faction icon? There`s no way that could occur on 0.8.

Cheers!!!!

But he has those stone walls for Prom's cities - we can't get those to work now. I'd love to know why they work there but not in ours.

is his resource-position .74 or .8? I believe they've changed positions, not?

PS: those models are quite nice, I've never seen them before. Hope EB can get them to work for .8x

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast