[Apologies if I'm rehashing what has been said here / elsewhere]

As anything becomes more complex, be it a food recepie, a car or a piece of software there is an inevitable risk of errors occuring.

Personally, I want more complex games and so as far as I see it, the need is to address this issue.

Although I think that unofficial mods that correct issues are extremely good, the fact that every time an official one is released there is a chance that all the hard work has been undone.

Software such as Linux has the ability for fixes to bugs to be posted where they are reviewed and added.

I don't think that everyone should be allowed to add their ideas as this would create havoc, but there are a small number of people that are known to do extremely good work. This number could then be increased as people prove their worth; others could of course petition others to add in their fix on their behalf, so the oversight by the developers would be as small as possible.

Developers could then either modify aspects that are hardcoded or give the nod to solutions that are already created.

Mods would then merely be modifications and not also correcting mistakes, and those that correct the mistakes would have a greater impetus as their work would be far more likely to be used.

As I say, other software uses this model, so it is not that novel an approach.