Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Middle Ages: Interactive

One easily trifled with Member Target Champion Motep's Avatar

Default Re: Middle Ages: Interactive

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer of Hope
    The sultan calls on the heretics to the south to surrender before the armies of the fateful, push into the egyptian heartland. It is clear that my army by advancing so far is superior to yours and all that you can do is postpone the eventual Seljuk conquest. Surrender now, cede all the territory that I have conquered to me, swear vassalage and your pitiful nation may survive and continue to practice her faith.

OCC: Mopet it is impossible for you to have an invasion force of one million. The logistic support is simply not there in this time. A more realistic number would be 20,000 for a large army.

I think China had a population of about 50 million in the year 1000. I do beleive that they could supply an army of 1 million people... even three. Besides, my soildiers are perfectly capable of living off of the land. And they have plenty of food to go around (china produces alot of food).
    TosaInu shall never be forgotten.

Still warlusting... Member Warluster's Avatar

OOC-Anyway, 20 000 as a large army, come on! There was 60 000 at Agincourt! thats just the French! Then the Crusades, there was A LOT there! 20 000 is about the size of an mice! 1 million is okay FOR CHINA and big countries like that.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Warluster
    OOC-Anyway, 20 000 as a large army, come on! There was 60 000 at Agincourt! thats just the French! Then the Crusades, there was A LOT there! 20 000 is about the size of an mice! 1 million is okay FOR CHINA and big countries like that.
    No DoH is right there's no way an army of 1 million could sustain itself off the land or even from the Emperor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

You only say that because China is your ally.

I think no one could raise an army of one million, change it please.

My source
    A typical field army at the beginning of the century might be 20,000 - 30,000 men, while the average was probably 50,000 - 60,000 by the end. During the Hundred Years War, 10,000 was a large army.
    Keep in mind that this is talking about the 16th century, even in the hundred years war it was smaller and that was 400 years after our timeframe. I'm not trying to nit pick but it should be fairly realistic.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Signifer, Cohors II Legio II Member Comrade Alexeo's Avatar

A one-million-man army for this time period is EXTREMELY unrealistic and should not be allowed.

The only way it could possibly be justifiable would be if you had mobilized the entire state for war, as happened in the First World War - which would first off imply that China had as strong a central government as France and Germany and Britain, which is patently false.

Secondly, it is absolutely impossible that a force that size could ever have been maintained in this period. Besides the fact that you would have to equip and train the soldiers in some fashion, there would be no way to supply them with rations. Remember, this is long, long before canned food (which came about due to a contest by Napoleon III in the mid-1800's), so there's almost nothing that can be carried with you that won't spoil.

The American Civil War showed that an army corps of about 20,000 men could require up to 500-1,000 wagons to maintain supply, even relatively close to supply depots. It also showed that, at best, a force of 30,000 men might be able to live off the land - land that has lots of successful farms that have just harvested their crops. More realistically, only a force of 10,000 could attempt to live off the land - and by "live off the land" I mean virtually scour the countryside (a countryside filled with a high density of populated settlements). And that's not even considering horses and other pack animals...

If you had a million men, you'd have to have supermen who only need to eat every other month, enjoy earthworms, dirt, and grass, and were resistant to every disease known to man because a 1,000,000-man army is a pestilence waiting to happen.

Rome, which was far, far more bureaucratically and logistically able to supply its forces, had at best a "mere" 350,000 or so men at arms, and even this number was considered excessive (it was usually closer to 250-280,000).

I'm sorry Motep, but
    NO.

There's not a chance in hell.
    Signifer Titus Vorenus
    Cohors II Legion II
    Triana Fortis

http://www.geocities.com/tuccius2112...ianaindex.html

Ok people's, he has got the idea, stop ganging up and saying stuff to him, he knoews now after you guys posted a book on it. So lets continue with the game.

...well, with all of the new input, Id say that 500,000 will be better. We have warehouses full of food all through China...even in the Desert. Rice can take a while to go bad if properly prepared. Its not long to go after that untill we reach the Persians. I can then get some more food if supplies are low, and that should last untill I reach The Medditerranean, where I can tradede for food. Dont worry, I have plenty enough money to do so. Besides, in the year 1000, The persian empire was weak.

come on....please dont die on me!!!

NOOOOOOO! FRANKIE!! Whoops, watching to much Godfather, anyway, I am sorry to say *Sniff* I think this may be dead...

I'm busy.............

*blows dust off thread*

Join the ICLADOLLABOJADALLA! Member IrishArmenian's Avatar

NOOOOOOO! FRANKIE!! Whoops, watching to much Godfather
    Hehe, If you are kind to Sicily, Frankie will...well, he will die, regardless.

"Half of your brain is that of a ten year old and the other half is that of a ten year old that chainsmokes and drinks his liver dead!" --Hagop Beegan

NOOOOOOO! FRANKIE!! Whoops, watching to much Godfather
    Hehe, If you are kind to Sicily, Frankie will...well, he will die, regardless.

"Half of your brain is that of a ten year old and the other half is that of a ten year old that chainsmokes and drinks his liver dead!" --Hagop Beegan

guys, is it too late to join?? seems like ive missed the party. can i play as the venetians??

Sorry, the games long dead, but try out the WW1 interactive, we have Britain open right now.

Noooo! Why? Will it ever be ressurected?

Sorry, the games long dead, but try out the WW1 interactive, we have Britain open right now.

Ok, never advertise your interactives on mine. This is not dead.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Seems to be :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Sorry pat, its just this interactive hasn't had an update for ages, and i just assumed, sorry!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678