Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Byzantine Musketeers

Default Byzantine Musketeers

Ladies and gentlemen, they have arrived.

Thanks to Casuir who provided the purple texture for them :D
    Last edited by Musashi; 12-18-2006 at 23:58.
    Fear nothing except in the certainty that you are your enemy's begetter and its only hope of healing. For everything that does evil is in pain.
    -The Maestro Sartori, Imajica by Clive Barker

Praeparet bellum Member Quillan's Avatar

Default Re: Byzantine Musketeers

Exxxxxcellent! Muahahahaha!
    Looking forward to playing with that mod when it's finished.
    Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Wow! Neat.
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Good!

Now I suppose the Byzantines will be that much more fun in the late period.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

Yup. Now I just need to give them a decent assortment of cannon, which should actually be easier...

Although I really wanted to give them a heavy musketeer unit in the style of the Jannissary Musketeer... It seems fitting for Byzantium to have armored it's musketeers... But unfortunately I believe it would require the creation of new meshes since the weapons and shields are actually integrated into the mesh files :/

I put a new musketeer unit into the game using the Byzantine Spearmen models, thinking that the greek armor would look good for their basic musketeer, and I could use the Latinkon armor for the heavy version, but unfortunately the spearmen (Despite being given the musketeer animation and weapon attachment point definitions) showed up holding their spears and shields.

It was kind of funny to see them shooting from their spears though, as you can see:
    Fear nothing except in the certainty that you are your enemy's begetter and its only hope of healing. For everything that does evil is in pain.

keep the spears
    Drink Tea

Currently Reading: Nikolai Gogol's dead souls

You might consider Handgunners as an alternative. they are already armoured and might suit the Byzantines more than the very western europe looking musketeers

Hand Gunners reek though. I believe if Byzantium had survived and been in a position to make extensive use of gunpowder they would have had muskets at least as early as any other faction...

You're right though, the model is very un-byzantine, which is why I was trying to use the spearmen. Unfortunately there is no Byzantium texture for the Hand Gunners' armor type.

Oh and I was right, adding cannon is easy as heck, because you can give them the bombard crew soldier type, and not have to mess with the modeldb file at all.

Once I get a good handle on how everything works I'm going to be trying to produce an alternate-history mod, where gunpowder is discovered earlier on in history :)
    Last edited by Musashi; 12-19-2006 at 06:03.

Yoy could take an alternate approach, turkish naffutan used greek fire in their grenades, an early Byzantine approach could be to use gunpowder instead, i'm not entirely sure what Byzantine war machine crew look like, but i seem to recall they are of the armoured type you are looking for. you might also make them availiable from an earlier time, since they are a fairly crude use of gunpowder. It would also differentiate the Byzantine gunpowder progression from everyone else.

Regards

That's a good idea, although honestly they should just have naffatun... I mean, the culture that developed greek fire should probably use it. Just a thought ;)

I managed to make Byzantine Hand Gunners, using musketeer stats, so I'm thinking that model can be their elite musketeers. I'm gonna see what else I can cook up.

If I can use the portuguese arquebussier model and recolor the textures for that it'll look fairly decent too. I'd really like to use the Aventurier model but of course they'd be holding crossbows.

Hmm... I've made Byzzie textures for the hand gunners and for the Portugese Arquebusier models, but I can't decide which one I like better...

Of course what I really, really want is the greek armors like byzzie spearmen and dismounted latinkon...

If only it were possible to do some kitbashing...

post some more pics!

could you explain how you are doing this mate i want to do a few similar changes. gunpowder for the scots, reiters and zweihanders available for more factions etc

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi
    Hmm... I've made Byzzie textures for the hand gunners and for the Portugese Arquebusier models, but I can't decide which one I like better...

Of course what I really, really want is the greek armors like byzzie spearmen and dismounted latinkon...

If only it were possible to do some kitbashing...
    When in doubt... Ask us...

could someone point m in the right direction to do something like this myself

edit: Explanatory post too long for going in the Citadel really, go to the following link if you wish to get information on how to mod the battle_models.modeldb file:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...64#post1357364
    Last edited by Musashi; 12-20-2006 at 02:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraxis
    When in doubt... Ask us...
    You mean it is possible to kitbash at the current time?

edit: Explanatory post too long for going in the Citadel really, go to the following link if you wish to get information on how to mod the battle_models.modeldb file:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...64#post1357364
    Quote Originally Posted by McDoogle
    Why are all of you so worried about Mongols!?

Every mogol army that has come my way runs home with their tail between their legs. All you have to do is focus on their general and send more then one unit at a time at thiers at a time. once u rout a few of their units the army crumbles. personally i dnt mind that when its an enemy, but i hate it with my own troops.

BNut mongols are easy to hunt down. they are only painful because they have huge armies. so keep two on your border ready for them because after a few defeats they will decide its easier to go someowhere else for awhile. So create ur armies and hunt down their family members and send every unit at them in battle and dnt let him get away. i destroyed then mongols when they kept trying to sneak in to my western povinces.
    thanks mate

Erm... You're welcome?

What's with the second quote... Did my link send you to the wrong thread somehow?

You mean it is possible to kitbash at the current time?
    Well, I just meant that if you couldn't decide, then take screenshots of the new Byzantine units and let us decide which one is cooler/more fitting.

Oh hehe. I thought you were saying kitbashing could be done. I've settled on the Portuguese Arquebusier model, but ultimately it's just temporary. As soon as it becomes possible to kitbash I'm hoping I can get someone to make me the Byz Spearman and Dismounted Latinkon with muskets... I'd use the Spearman model for the basic musketeers and the Latinkon model for the elite ones.

PS: For the moment, this is what my elite musketeers look like:

Erm... You're welcome?

What's with the second quote... Did my link send you to the wrong thread somehow?
    ive got no idea how the second qwuote got in there!

Actually that skin isn't half bad... I can only think of the helmet to be the kettlehat instead.
    They have fluffy clothes, which the Byzantiens certainly liked (they were known for being stylish), and their armour might not be terribly Byzantine but within the possible range. And we have to assume, given this 'advance' for the Byzantines, that they would get this kind of armour as well.
    Last edited by Kraxis; 12-20-2006 at 15:36.

I'm with Tarrak, that skin is pretty good, besides if you are only using this as a mod, do you really NEED it to be THAT realistic

Hehe, I just want to see them with that characteristic Byzantine look. I can't help it.

Here's the final update of them until such time as kitbashing can be done. They have an icon and text now!

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

Sweet. The Byz spearmen firing had a hilarity factor all its own though. Reminds me of fire lances from Rise of Nations.

Member Member Varangian Berserker's Avatar

Could it be possible that if the Byzantines had lasted long enough that some of the gunpowder units would've been "mercs" like the old-school Varangian Guard and Poronai Allagion/Byzantine Lancers (Knights paid off w/ gold)?

Of course I use the term "merc" loosely since they play more like regular units instead of mercenary ones in-game, but still.
    "SHOW ME THE FLORIIINSSS!!!!!!!!!!"
    -Sir Jerry Of MacGuire

Well, one could imagine a sort of French Musketeer styled unit among the Byzantines. They were very much into these kind of things after all.
    I suppose a unit of Spaniards or something. Good with musket and good with sword.

The Spanish Guard.

Yeah but it's not the direction I want to go. The Varangian Guard weren't really mercenaries, they were simply paid professional soldiers. I mean, it was a permanent employment, they weren't freelancers.

They're more comparable to Janissaries than anything.

What I'm personally aiming for it for them to have a Militia Musketeers unit comparable to the standard Musketeer, and then the professional Byzantine Musketeers, who are much harder punks.

But again, I'm developing a relatively specific alternate history here.

Basically I'm positing an earlier development of gunpowder, in a period when Byzantium was at the peak of it's power.
    Last edited by Musashi; 12-21-2006 at 07:28.

PS: Ph33r.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast