Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: EB with BI

Default Re: EB with BI

Quote Originally Posted by PantsToucher
    Yeah, that would be strange if there was a difference between the two methods. Are your ctds repeatable? I had a couple playing .8 on BI, but I think they were more related to memory issues than the mod, as both times I could continue playing without moving characters around or anything. Perhaps vista is sucking up too much memory or something? Just an idea.
    The ctd's were not repeatable although two of them happened in the same turn, during different AI-factions turns around 269BC.

The third one I described here https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=79750

Right now I am playing 10 year without problems, everything looks normal (except for my early game expansion )
    EB member

I still wonder how much better BI is than rtw 1,5?? Is it so much better...or??
    If thats the case I order it now..LOL..

Well the ai seems more 'intelligent'.
    In my current campaign (Romani VH-H), I lost control over Sicily within a year.
    I was besieging the western most city of Sicily (Can't remember its name ), when Qart-hadast landed a full stack to support the city. My army got annihilated, and thus Sicily became defenseless. A turn later they had split that army and moved near my borders, next turn both my cities were besieged, and I lost them a turn later.

Don't know if ai is so much better in BI then in RTW, but I think it is

I cant tell whether BI is better as I havent played on 1.5 much. I do remember that in 1.2 (and also in my one 1.5 campaign) I didnt get many naval invasions, in my Arverni-BI campaign Carthage is attacking Tolosa (Toulouse, France) every 2 years. Note that they have yet only expanded in Africa, their armies come from Algeria and Balears. Crete and Rhodos (including Pontic invasions) as well as other Islands and coasts suffer from naval invasions all the time etc.
    EB member

Wink Re: EB with BI

Cool maby I will soon order it then...Thanks guys
    Cheers

It's definately worth it BK, definately. Especially if you can get just the expansion itself, it'll be dirt cheap by now I'd assume. It just feels better than 1.5

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: EB with BI

Quote Originally Posted by Birka Viking
    I still wonder how much better BI is than rtw 1,5?? Is it so much better...or??
    I was told that R:TW 1.5 is essentially the same program as BI 1.6 with a few options switched off, but I find that the campaign A.I. is somewhat better in consilidating and using its stacks, and I think there is some improvement on the battlefield as well. But don't expect major improvements in the A.I.: it's still not very competent.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens
    I was told that R:TW 1.5 is essentially the same program as BI 1.6 with a few options switched off, but I find that the campaign A.I. is somewhat better in consilidating and using its stacks, and I think there is some improvement on the battlefield as well. But don't expect major improvements in the A.I.: it's still not very competent.
    Is there any reason not to use BI.exe?

Quote Originally Posted by Makr
    Is there any reason not to use BI.exe?
    No official support from the EB team, but Oleo is always there for help as you can tell from this thread and many of the others in which he contributes.

does porting the game to BI effect the ability to get patches from the team? i.e. are files still going to the right folders when you do this etc?

also is anyone working on a mod to introduce religions to EB?

Quote Originally Posted by soibean
    does porting the game to BI effect the ability to get patches from the team? i.e. are files still going to the right folders when you do this etc?

also is anyone working on a mod to introduce religions to EB?
    Nope, patches work just fine. Everything goes in the same place, the EB folder in the RTW directory. Using modswitch, it doesn't matter whether you use RTW or BI.

EB Getai player Member MoROmeTe's Avatar
    Campina, Romania, currently stationed in Bucharest, Romania

Is there any chance that going through the BI executable causes CTD non-persistent on the Eleutheroi turn? Seems to happen a lot in my Getai campaigns..
    For my name is Legion...

There is always a chance, but I dont think it matters.
    EB member

I did have 0.8 working with BI, and installed some mods on top of it. Short story - it stopped working.

So tonight I have spent the night re-installing everything. I have a Rome directory with 1.6 and BI installed. Works fine as BI.

Copied that entire directory over to another directory called EB81a. Also works fine as BI.

Installed the latest and greatest EB81a using the full installer into this directory. Now have an EB directory full of data.

Use 'Oleos Method of 20 Feb' to mess around with a couple of directories, and change the shortcut.

When I try to fire it up with BI or with RTW, I get the following error.

Script Error in eb/data/settlement plans/oasis.txt, at line 11, column 1

Name not recognised: 'oasis lake' - make sure you defined it in descr_building_battle.txt, or as a slot or group in descr_Settlement_plan.txt

Any suggestions about what I am doing wrong? I cannot play EB with RTW or BI now.

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

You sure it's not a shortcut syntax problem ? If the directory path you have the files under is "eb081a/****" and the shortcut switch is "-mod:eb", I can see how there could be issues...

Actually, given that most of the file path references in EB start with "eb/" I can see how there could be a lot of issues.
    Last edited by Watchman; 04-08-2007 at 14:43.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman
    You sure it's not a shortcut syntax problem ? If the directory path you have the files under is "eb081a/****" and the shortcut switch is "-mod:eb", I can see how there could be issues...

Actually, given that most of the file path references in EB start with "eb/" I can see how there could be a lot of issues.
    I don't see how it causes issues, but in any case, I have now changed it to "81a/****" and the shortcut on my desktop to point there. Same issue.

----------

OK, fixed. It was the 'oasis bug' that there is a temporary fix for already posted. I will now go and put in all the other permanent and temporary fixes...and update the elephants (since I plan to play Bactria).

One thing....the Hellenic Generals seem to still have Spartan Hoplites as Bodyguards. I thought they were to be changed to Armoured Hoplites?
    Last edited by Southern Hunter; 04-08-2007 at 17:04.

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Nah. They had Epikletoi Hoplitai BGs in the last version, but there were such annoying issues with the phalanx mode that in 0.81a they were given Spartans as a manageable placeholder.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Oleo
    Forget my previous suggestions:

EB with BI:

- have a proper 1.6 BI with EB

- Make a shortcut with a targetline:

Code:
    "your install folder\RomeTW-BI.exe" -mod:eb -nm -show_err
    - make a copy of
    Code:
    your install folder\eb\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign
    and rename that copy to barbarian_invasion (you should now have two folders in that location)

- make a copy of
    Code:
    your install folder\eb\data\text\imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt
    and rename that copy to: barbarian_invasion_regions_and_settlement_names.txt.

-delete
    Code:
    your install folder\eb\data\world\maps\base\map.rwm
    Fire up EB through your newly created shortcut and you'll find campaign and custom battle working with BI (at least I did )
    When you say make a copy, what do you do with the copy? where do you put it?

I'm having trouble starting a fresh campaign with BI, I'm getting the same problems wonderland seemed to be having, custom battles works though.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: EB with BI

Quote Originally Posted by the_handsome_viking
    When you say make a copy, what do you do with the copy? where do you put it?
    You leave it in the same map and rename it to barbarian_invasion.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens
    You leave it in the same map and rename it to barbarian_invasion.
    The same map?

P.S. I tried starting a new campaign again, I'm still getting the same problem...
    Last edited by the_handsome_viking; 06-23-2007 at 01:16.

I need to ask a favor.

Assume, and though I understand this is an impossibly hard task but, assume that I'm an idiot.

Now explain to me how to get fresh campaigns to work for EB while using the BI cd.

Please...

The same map?
    He meant folder.

your install folder\eb\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign
    should be copied. Then the copy should be renamed barbarian_invasion.

So you have 2 folders:
    1. your install folder\eb\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign
    2. your install folder\eb\data\world\maps\campaign\barbarian_invasion

Hope this was the only issue.

Quote Originally Posted by d'Arthez
    He meant folder.

should be copied. Then the copy should be renamed barbarian_invasion.

So you have 2 folders:
    1. your install folder\eb\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign
    2. your install folder\eb\data\world\maps\campaign\barbarian_invasion

Hope this was the only issue.
    When you say folders do you mean two text files? because I've got those two text files in the same folder, it's still not working =(.

A folder is something like C:\windows or C:\Program Files. A folder contains files or more subfolders. It does not start any application if you click on it (notepad, RomeTW).

If you go in that folder (double clicking) you will see the contents of the respective folder. In case of Windows that includes folders called 'System' and 'System32', and files like regedit.

This is a bit on the extensive side, but I hope it helps.

1. Give a search command for RomeTW-BI.exe on your entire computer. It will tell you where exactly the file is located. In this example, I will assume it is in C:\games\RTW. You will get a search result for C:\games\RTW. In your case it may be different.

2. Go to that folder, by going to "My Computer". Then go to the correct drive, and folder. In the example it would be C drive, then to the folder games and then to the folder RTW. If you look at the contents of the folder you will see a RomeTW-BI.exe.

3. Go to the subfolder EB.

4. Go to the subfolder data

5. Go to the subfolder world

6. Go to the subfolder maps

7. Go to the subfolder campaign

8. you will see the subfolder imperial_campaign.

You need to copy (Control+C) the imperial_campaign folder, and paste (Control+V) it. You will now have two subfolders:
    1. imperial_campaign
    2. copy of imperial_campaign (can be different if you have a different language version of windows).

9. you need to rename the subfolder 'copy of imperial_campaign' and name it 'barbarian_invasion.'
    Last edited by d'Arthez; 06-23-2007 at 22:32.

Quote Originally Posted by d'Arthez
    A folder is something like C:\windows or C:\Program Files. A folder contains files or more subfolders. It does not start any application if you click on it (notepad, RomeTW).

If you go in that folder (double clicking) you will see the contents of the respective folder. In case of Windows that includes folders called 'System' and 'System32', and files like regedit.

This is a bit on the extensive side, but I hope it helps.

1. Give a search command for RomeTW-BI.exe on your entire computer. It will tell you where exactly the file is located. In this example, I will assume it is in C:\games\RTW. You will get a search result for C:\games\RTW. In your case it may be different.

2. Go to that folder, by going to "My Computer". Then go to the correct drive, and folder. In the example it would be C drive, then to the folder games and then to the folder RTW. If you look at the contents of the folder you will see a RomeTW-BI.exe.

3. Go to the subfolder EB.

4. Go to the subfolder data

5. Go to the subfolder world

6. Go to the subfolder maps

7. Go to the subfolder campaign

8. you will see the subfolder imperial_campaign.

You need to copy (Control+C) the imperial_campaign folder, and paste (Control+V) it. You will now have two subfolders:
    1. imperial_campaign
    2. copy of imperial_campaign (can be different if you have a different language version of windows).

9. you need to rename the subfolder 'copy of imperial_campaign' and name it 'barbarian_invasion.'
    It's still not working... this is extremely frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by the_handsome_viking
    It's still not working... this is extremely frustrating.

Do you have the EB shortcut directed to the RTW-BI.exe and not just the RTW.exe?
    Those who would give up essential liberties for a perceived sense of security deserve neither liberty nor security--Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by mcantu
    Do you have the EB shortcut directed to the RTW-BI.exe and not just the RTW.exe?
    I had done all of it correctly.

I just ended up uninstalling everything and reinstalling all over again, and did the same stuff I did the first time, and it works now.

Dunno what the problem was.

Anyway, thanks for all the help guys.

Part 1

1 - Rename imperial_campaign folder to barbarian_invasion . This folder is located in the EB/data/world/maps/campaign folder

2 - Open the newly rename barbarian_invasion folder. Inside it open descr_strat.txt file with notepad, and change this line:

Code:
    campaign		imperial campaign
    playable
    into

Code:
    campaign		barbarian_invasion
    options bi (*)
    playable
    options bi (*) is optional only if you want to add other BI options like horording and night battles etc.

3 - Save and exit the file.

Part 2

1 - Open the text folder. This folder is located in the EB/data folder. Look for these files.

2 - Rename imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt file into barbarian_invasion_regions_and_settlement_names.txt then save and exit.

3 - This is optional but recomendable. Open the campaign_descriptions.txt file with notepad.

4 - Click edit, replace, and in the box type :

Find what : IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_
    Replace with : BARBARIAN_INVASION_
    5 - Click replace all, save and exit.

Part 3

1 - On the desktop, right-click on the EB short cut and click properties.

2 - Rename the RomeTW.exe with RomeTW-BI.exe , for example (on my pc):

"D:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\RomeTW-BI.exe" -mod:eb -nm -show_err
    3 - Click apply then ok. Now you can run EB with BI.exe
    Say: O unbelievers, I serve not what you serve, nor do you serve what I serve, nor shall I serve what you are serving, nor shall you be serving what I serve.
    To you your religion, and to me my religion.

I did it in the way you wrote, Lestat, but...
    Well, I installed EB latest version, then installed the First Cohort Mod, then the new Darth Battle formations by mlp071, Forced Diplomacy mod and also the micro-mod bty mlp071 and Redmeth IIRC, that changes the mercenaries and AI behavior.
    Then I followed the above instructions and received the following:

In the main Menu there was added "Provincial Campaign" line, and when I clicked the "Main Campaign" there was nothing! There was only message "Please slect item from the list" and that's all. But when I clicked the Provincial campaign I got the small window with "EB Main Campaign" that later prompted me to selection menu of EB campaign.

That was realy veery strange - what did I wrong? (or I didn't and it should be just like that)? I played also Reign Of Ares by Thorlof, which is also based upon the BI, but there was nothing like that.

Oh, well, maybe I forgot to delete map.rwm from somewhere? Justr have to check it out.
    DARTH STALIN - Lord Generalissimus of the Union of the Socialist Sith Republic

I had that problem originally too. To fix it, I opened up barbarian_invasion/decr_strat.txt and deleted the line near the top about BI options... for some reason, that made the problem go away.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast