Thread: Age of Empires II vs Age of Empires III

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Question Age of Empires II vs Age of Empires III

As a fanatic of AoE II(I still play it...) I want to know if it's worth the money AoE III. I prefer the Medieval age, but somehow, inovations will convince me to make the change.

So, is it worth AoE III + expansion pack?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Senior Member Senior Member Reenk Roink's Avatar

Default Re: Age of Empires II vs Age of Empires III

Well the first thing I'll tell you is that you have to play the demo and see for yourself.

As for me, I was a great fan of Age of Empires II and the expansion. The game was great in singleplayer and it was the best multiplayer game I have ever played (only missing the tactical battles which got me into Total War). The custom scenarios added the icing on the cake (World Map anyone?).

Anyway, I actually got Age of Empires after I played Age of Empires II, and I felt like I had taken a step backward (completely natural). Though I played the campaigns, I put away the game after 3 weeks or so. It was a great game, and would have been groundbreaking in '97, but I had already played the much improved sequel.

Naturally, I was excited about Age of Empires III. The Ancient period was my favorite, and Medieval period was a close second, so I was bummed though not surprised that they did an early modern period.

I downloaded the demo the day it came out, and played for awhile. At first, it was great, but the wow factor really diminished quickly. After 30 minutes, I was left bummed. Aside from great graphics and improved naval gameplay (the Naval game is the greatest here... ), the game felt like it added nothing new.

I dunno, but I basically uninstalled the demo 2 weeks after I had installed it, and didn't pick up the game. For someone who hasn't played the other games and likes the period (muskets and cannons), it would be a great pickup, but I just felt that it added too little new stuff. Still, I might pick the game up later on, when it drops in price and comes bundled with the expansion, if no other good games are coming out (Spore is in late 2007 and that's the only upcoming game that I remotely have my eye on).

Bottom line, play the demo, and see how you like it.

Hope this helped.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reenk Roink
    (the Naval game is the greatest here... )
    It also lags like crazy.

One easily trifled with Member Target Champion Motep's Avatar

not only that, but its map editor system is far worse than the other age of empires. ts like they were trying to make a"rise of nations" game for age of empires. I have it, and I think it was a waste of money. Age of empires two is far surperior.
    TosaInu shall never be forgotten.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

I totally agree with Reenk Roink, almost as much of a let down as Age of Mythology. That game was horrible (IMHO).
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Ah good. Thanks a lot.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Quote Originally Posted by Rythmic
    I totally agree with Reenk Roink, almost as much of a let down as Age of Mythology. That game was horrible (IMHO).
    It was cool and all, but It sucked. Wow factor said "bye" in about 2 minutes.

I think AoE3 is the best online strategy game ever. The addition of the Home City really makes a difference.

I think you should get it.
    I support Israel

This is something I have a firm opinion AOEIII was a HUGE dissapointment. I was rather bored by the campaigns which were all fantasy, I loved the historical side of the AOEII single player missions.

The naval gameplay and graphics is the only thing that AOEIII beats AOEII on.

My friends and I ocasionally have LAN partys and EVERY one we have played at least one AOEII game. We don't play in the normal way, I made a mod upping the resources for the game and we spend 2 hours building up and having our little political issues, then all hell breaks loose. Our defences get RIDICULOUSLY huge, try 58 castles and another game one person had somewhere around 100 towers.

With AOEIII they put on all those silly limits which frustrated all the members of our LANs and I never bothered with the expansion. I was so hurt by their promises for revolutionary gameplay and all the other stuff they went on about In the end it just wasn't fun anymore. So we stilll play AOEII at our LANs and I don't even have AOEIII installed anymore.

I don't think it is worth it, I played multiplayer with 3 friends but we all agreed that AOEII was much more fun.

Senior Member Senior Member Reenk Roink's Avatar

Yes, I forgot the Home City.

I didn't play much with the Home City (only playing the demo) but it is one of the bright spots. Still, I never saw it as too revolutionary.

The game essentially is what I feel to be one of the better ones out there, but with Neverwinter Nights 2 and Medieval 2: Total War, I don't want another game for some time.

The best thing to do is to play the demo, and see how you like it. Some people love it.

Me, I'm going to keep playing Age of Empires II for awhile...

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    It also lags like crazy.
    Well, it ran fine on my computer, and I know that edyz got a great rig recently...

Retired Senior Member Prince Cobra's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nice thread... Definately Age of Empires II. And most probably because I'm fan of the Middle Ages. There is something romantic there... And somehow AoE III did not give anything new to the player... Actually I did not say anything new myself. I could not resist on a temptation to comment this game.
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 01-04-2007 at 23:23.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

I didn't play much with the Home City (only playing the demo) but it is one of the bright spots. Still, I never saw it as too revolutionary.

The game essentially is what I feel to be one of the better ones out there, but with Neverwinter Nights 2 and Medieval 2: Total War, I don't want another game for some time.

The best thing to do is to play the demo, and see how you like it. Some people love it.

Well, it ran fine on my computer, and I know that edyz got a great rig recently...
    The battles run fine with me, I can have the maximum amount of musketeers and other units like that on the screen without problems, but as soon as I get 3+ total ships firing cannon in a naval battle, the lag starts.

I'll see if I can decrease the settings for naval battles.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

I've always loved AoE II, but never wanted to get AoE III. I've had hours of fun playing it. If my CD hadn't broken I'de probably still have it today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

I played the demo of AoE III and hated it. To be fair, the Middle Ages are one of my favourite periods of history, but it was nowhere near the standard of AoE II.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Post Re: Age of Empires II vs Age of Empires III

Yes it is. I would post a more complex answer, but I don't have time.

The War Cheif campaigns are historical. The include battles from the American revolution and they also include Little Big Horn.
    Last edited by MSB; 01-05-2007 at 09:48.

only 58? this one time I made my self a campaign and gave me about 14 million stone. I built 582 castles (only 275 towers though)

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Introduction of home city makes base building useless. you can just port all your warriors in, you end up forgetting about building. Age 2 wins.

(You cant beat Castle BLood et al)
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

The best things I found when playing this game were the ships, which look spectacular compared to AOEII, and the havok physics. Generally the graphics are pretty good and, along with the music, give a good sense of atmosphere that suit the setting. However, if you already own AOEII then there probably isn't any point in getting AOEIII.
    "If she were a president, she'd be called Baberaham Lincoln" - Garth (Wayne's World 1)

Check out my mods and maps for Thief Deadly Shadows and TES IV Oblivion at http://dashboard.filefront.com/MasterThief.

I wouldn't bother with AOE III. American Conquest 300 centuries of war and fight back, plus American conquest 2: Divided nation. Covers the same time period and is a much better game to play. Minus fancy 3D graphics, and phyics.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Battle for Middle Earth 2 might be an alternative. Units actually matter, a huge mass of upgraded cavalry is not going to win regardless.

Worryingly I find in some respects the use of cavalry and so on it is rather better than in MTW2... Unsupported archers against cavalry = dead.

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

AOE2 all the way. much better then AOE3.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i play BFME2 Rise of the witch king.

An all cav army can snap anything (the charge is incredible) but one unit of basic pikes, means your really expensive cav charges into them, wiping them out if they were swords, get almost instagibbed, and the pikes remain unhurt.

So much more fun than AOE3
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

WOW! I never realised so many people had the same view on AOEIII as I did.

BFME2 I don't think I have played. I have played BFME though and only the campaign appealed to me, I don't like being limited in games and having a certain area to build in frustrates me, I like creating heaps of places all over the map to annoy my friends and so I can recover quickly if I am not doing so well in a war.

That is why I like AOEII.

AoE 3 is the only game I would ever like to play mp with someone I don't know. Other games I have I would play MP anytime, but only with people I know...I think it is so much more fun playing with someone I know than not. The incentive to play AOE3 anyway is the Home City which you can get improvements for.
    I support Israel

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

I dont liked AoE3.
    Dont liked the interface of the game.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love