Thread: map-faction balancing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default map-faction balancing

i looked at the map and i have a few questions.

1. are the large faction(hre,byzantium,turks,egyptians) going to just demolish the little factions or will there be something stopping them?

2. it seems like spain is open to take from the rebels. will castile just easily dominate iberia so quickly?

3. are the sahara and arabia provinces because they had no real settlements.

nice map. its so much better to see a decent map from vanilla. vanillas map really sucked.

Default Re: map-faction balancing

HRE has scripted revolting in northern Italy. Byzantium and Turks are facing at Manzikert right at the beginning, so I'd guess they both get somewhat crippled no matter the outcome.

i knew they wouldnt leave that issue untouched but what about egypt? im guessing that the turks are preparing to converge on their territory(thats what happened histroically).

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Egypt will probably have their hands full with the crusades...

I think hre will be the tough one. You have to balance those scripted rebellions so that the empire doesn't lose too many soldiers and land, and also to present player with a challenge...
    Last edited by Sarmatian; 01-08-2007 at 03:26.

the hre empire will be hard because if they are weakend too much they will collapse easily but if there not then they will dominate.

MTR: AOA project ###### (temp) Member kataphraktoi's Avatar

. are the large faction(hre,byzantium,turks,egyptians) going to just demolish the little factions or will there be something stopping them?
    Turks are quite powerful between 1050s - 1092 so its only fair to give them a great starting position, however, like most Muslim empires, regionalism is a problem within the empire even in times of greatness. The Turks have to keep an eye out on their Qara-Khanid vassals in Transoxiana who could attack them in the rear while the Turks try and expand to the west.

Egyptians in 1071 is having a rotten time too, rebellions in Syria, Palestine and the Hejaz will keep them occupied, a disobedient Ghulam army in Cairo poses a worry for the current Caliph. Famines also recur frequently in this time period giving EGYPT a very serious problem internally. Yes, they will be quite vulnerable to the Turks.

Little factions in the beginning (like Georgia and Serbia) need not fear bigger factions as they are either scripted as allies or vassals. They're not entirely defensely either considering that the Byzantine troops stationed in the Balkans are crap and the fact that Georgia has a decent army at this time as well.

2. it seems like spain is open to take from the rebels. will castile just easily dominate iberia so quickly?
    Southern Spain is in the grip of squabblinh Taifa factions, historically, this does make them open to Christian invasions from the North. However, this weakness led them to historically call in the Moors from Morocco as well, so it works out. Perhaps a scripted landing party of Moorish troops in 1085.

3. are the sahara and arabia provinces because they had no real settlements.
    Yes, big useless provinces, anyone would be stupid to take them but smart to use them as places to attack unsuspecting provinces. I suppose if ur the Egyptians and ur keen on capturing the Caliphal base of Baghdad you could take a short cut through the Arabian desrt and pounce on them there. But you'd also have ti fight desert tribes who infest these areas.
    Retired from games altogether!!

Feudalism TOtal War, non-active member and supporter. Long Live Orthodox Christianity!

the great comander is d.afonso henriques the hows conquer portugal and expluse the mors

Member Member D. Afonso Henriques's Avatar

Good thing someone talks about Portugal because there is an error on the name it should be Portucale and it wan't a Kingdom it was a Condado, but that's ok.
    Anyways what I ment to say is that there is one province missing in the southwest of the Iberian Peninsula. Its name is Algarve and it was the last resistence that the mors gave to Portugal, before it was conquered by the previous. It had a lot of historical significance because it was know to be hard to conquer, when Portucale conquered it they had their name replaced for Reino de Portvgal e Algarves.

I have look the map. It seems really great, greater than the original map of M2TW.

There is however, I think, two mistakes:

First, there is too much provinces in british islands, especially for scotland and for Eire (or Ireland). Number of provinces for english part is OK. Scotland and Ireland were small and powerless countries, with poor lands. Give scotland 4 potential provinces (and three at the beginning) makes it too much powerful, as powerful as british (5 provinces, 4 at beginning)..... I think scotland and Eire should be made of two provinces, each. Highlands and lowlands for scotland by example...

The second mistake is the huge difference between France and HRE.... If you choose to give those "nations" the lands directly controlled by the king at the beginning, you should give them BOTH few provinces at the beginning.... BOTH are indeeed feodal kingdoms. If you choose to give them all provinces controlled indirectly by the kings (feodality) you should give them BOTH all provinces.
    For my part I think the first option is better, but then HRE you made up is much much much .... more powerful than in real history.

Except this, your map is perfect....

Best regards,

Dumbelvador.