Thread: Crusader Kings

Blog Entries

Default Crusader Kings

Found a copy in the Cheap bin at Best Buy today for 10$. Installed it, patched it to 1.05. I am totally impressed by the political mechanics of the game. The political system is deep...really deep. Is there any mod or patch out there that includes the ability to play as muslim or pagan factions?

CA should have given the political system in this game a serious look when they made M2TW.

PapaSmurf Senior Member Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe's Avatar

Default Re: Crusader Kings

[FF] Louis St Simurgh / The Simurgh

The bump! I got this game last week and I've been playing it nonstop since. It's pretty fun, but I still don't understand the majority of the demesne laws.

@ Gorebag,

if you are talking about the 'laws of succession,
    you might want to check Laws of succession out

I found it helpful

Actually, the Laws of Succession are the only ones I do understand. I managed to find a mini help file at the paradox forum, though, so no worries there.

Blog Entries

I really prefer semi-salic consiguenity.

Consanguinity? Really? I've been using Semi-salic Primogeniture since the beginning and I have no real desire to risk the wrong inheritor by broadening my horizons...I've even considered going back a step to Salic Primogeniture, but I fear that will decrease the value of my daughters greatly. But still, I've had to assassinate one nephew already...

Blog Entries

The problem with primogeniture is that bastards can't inheirit the throne.

Worked well in my Naples campaign anyways. Small Families need consanguinity, especially ones that don't breed well.

Once your family gets much larger, and I mean direct family members then Primogeniture tends to be the right path.

Well, ultimately, the bottom line is that you need a son, or your brother needs one. Besides that, I haven't had any problems, except with the odd nephew on a sister's side who's nearing maturity as my ruler gets pneumonia.

Ricardus Insanusaum Member Bob the Insane's Avatar

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but better than a new one of the same topic right?

Anyway got this and having a great time, however I can't seem to work out how to make any money. Or least I can't seem to make anough money to prevent myself going hughly broke if I take my forces into the field for a while let alone try sending them to the holy land.

This issue is worse when I tried playing as a count (vassel of the King of England) because the King ask or my forces and then keep them for years, through me into massive debt and my character ended up with a loyalty of 0%!!

Add to that in another attempted game as a count I thought I was doing quite well been I was granted a Duke title but the my king attacked me, right out of the blue. I had no chance!!

Any ideas??

I do have the 1.05 patch...

Edit: Oops, I just read in the offical forums I should put army maintainence on 0 while the king has my troops...
    Last edited by Bob the Insane; 07-15-2007 at 15:16.

Blog Entries

Making Money will unfortunately be a problem that will plague you throughout the game; War is something that as a ruler you will have to come to terms with; and you don't necessarily have to field your Armies in the name of the King (However this is damaging to both your reputation and your loyalty) The best way to make money is taxes, build building that make your Burghers, Peasants, Nobles, and Clergy more loyal so you can turn around and tax the hell out of them, when their loyalty gets below 50% lower your taxes to 0-10% and see their loyalty come back up. This is especially handy in lean times (you know the phrase Lean times means lean measures). Also it depends on who you're giving power to, naturally in your cash-cow provinces (Income is 4 or higher) Give Burghers the Power, less than 4 give peasants power, in Non-Native Cultural lands give Nobles Power, and in regions with a different religion than your own give Clergy an extra oomph. Also, your major money making schemes will involve inheritance, Wed your eldest sons or daughters to wealthier family (De Normande, Capet, Flanders (I think), De Hauteville, Hapsburg (in later games), Platagenet, etc. etc.

And as an easy starter faction, avoid Kingdoms until you know how Loyalty Works, and go for an easy Duchy, The Belgian Duchy (forget the name) is a good starting point, Big Armies, Very Good Income, and Fiercely protected by the French Aristocracy. In the first 100 years of the game, getting a lot of money is very difficult, it will require penny pinching galore, and don't be surprised if you find yourself well over a thousand Gold in Debt. But as technology and Population increases your means of money will become less stressful. The point of the game isn't to conquer the world, and war isn't very profitable anyways, you need to marry off the right heirs to the right people, and hope they produce liable off spring.

For England and St.George Senior Member ShadesWolf's Avatar

Good game, but way to easy.

I played it for a while, as its the best around for the hundred years war, but its way to easy. Even uploaded the finished game into Eu2 to continue my dynasty.
    ShadesWolf
    The Original HHHHHOWLLLLLLLLLLLLER

Im a Wolves fan, get me out of here......

I eagerly anticipated this game when it came out and was bitterly dissapointed due to some unsavory bugs. After 5 patches, like all paradox games its fairly solid. I think a new expansion is coming for this game as well.

The entire marriage system and family tree is what hooked me initially, there really hasnt been anything like this in other medieval games IMHO, as it is probably closer to the mark of how feudilism actually worked.
    There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte