Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The old unit stats...

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Default Re: The old unit stats...

I still play STW -- at least when I have a computer that's actually working, that is. In fact, I'd just gotten back into the game in a major way for the first time in probably six months when my new PC's power supply died on me. So once I get the replacement power supply, I hope to resume my campaign to become Shogun once more.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Teppo Taisho Member Maeda Toshiie's Avatar

Hmm, my personal favourite to date is still the Mongol Invasion (as the Mongols). Purely battles and nothing else to think about.
    Keeping the ashigarus in line since 1575

Quote Originally Posted by Maeda Toshiie
    Hmm, my personal favourite to date is still the Mongol Invasion (as the Mongols). Purely battles and nothing else to think about.
    It's a fun campaign but I find it that it get's dull after a while especially once you've conquered about two thirds of the map. That is the case with pretty much any TW game, especially MTW, but I find that it's somewhat exaggerated in the Mongol campaign due to the fact you can only pillage and build watch towers/border forts. I had a bash on it last night as I didn't have the time nor the energy to get back into my current campaign as the Imagawa. I usually follow the strategy of using the Korean units to hold down provinces and fighting defensive battles while using the Mongol units strictly for the offensive. I feel that if I can't win with the Mongol units alone then it's not worth doing, as the Korean and Mongol units are all quite poorly balanced and if used together as a combined arms force they can win very easily. The Skirmishers in particular seem to wield some pretty nasty javelins that can rout a unit on the first volley.

I played much more often as the Hojo rather than the Mongols - the Mongol units were very powerful and they surprised me in the first battles until little by little i learned the trick: YS and missiles with some YC to scoop off. The occasional NA to counter any troublesome Korean guardsmen. Never move isolated infantry but all the battle line together. Never give many fronts and allow encirclement. Keep ammo for later and concentrate fire in enemy units such as MLC to maximise effectiveness (concentrating archer fire works wonders in MP too!).

Past some point it was very repetitive though - one can contain the Mongols in Kyushu and beat them very early once you've done it first time. The situation gets very messy if the Mongols get to land further north in Honshu - but not always hopeless.

The Mongols i played very few times and not to conclusion - however the few battles i played, the MLC absolutely ruled - there was no counter unit - only shooting them down would work, for the japanese set and the AI was really bad soemtimes at doing that systematically, i find.

Many Thanks

Noir

Quote Originally Posted by Noir
    I played much more often as the Hojo rather than the Mongols - the Mongol units were very powerful and they surprised me in the first battles until little by little i learned the trick: YS and missiles with some YC to scoop off. The occasional NA to counter any troublesome Korean guardsmen. Never move isolated infantry but all the battle line together. Never give many fronts and allow encirclement. Keep ammo for later and concentrate fire in enemy units such as MLC to maximise effectiveness (concentrating archer fire works wonders in MP too!).

Past some point it was very repetitive though - one can contain the Mongols in Kyushu and beat them very early once you've done it first time. The situation gets very messy if the Mongols get to land further north in Honshu - but not always hopeless.

The Mongols i played very few times and not to conclusion - however the few battles i played, the MLC absolutely ruled - there was no counter unit - only shooting them down would work, for the japanese set and the AI was really bad soemtimes at doing that systematically, i find.

Many Thanks

Noir
    The MLC are by far the strongest for their class. If they'd been balanced better as strictly HAs to be used in conjunction with the MHC then it would have made for better gameplay.

I remember that the mongol cavalry was superb, after a few battles, i put my infantry as garrison using for the battles only the cavalry. I felt like a god of war.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12