Page 11 of 108 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: The "What are you playing?" topic.

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Default Re: The "What are you playing?" topic.

Quote Originally Posted by God's Grace
    Join the club! I only know that Froggy and I have KH. Remember there is a KH2.

BTW need any help on KH?
    No I need time
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

Resistance: Fall Of Man

I think it's great

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

I recently bought a Gameboy Micro and it's breathed new life into Metriod Fusion for me. Great game, played on a great little device.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

This place called Mars... do you know of it?

I just started to play Planetside again after a 2 year absence lol.
    If anybody plays it, I play on Emerald as TR and my name is Kawaiku.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    "No one said it was gonna be easy! If it was, everyone would do it..that's who you know who really wants it."

All us men suffer in equal parts, it's our lot in life, and no man goes without a broken heart or a lost love. Like holding your dog as he takes his last breath and dies in your arms, it's a rite of passage. Unavoidable. And honestly, I can't imagine life without that depth of feeling.-Bierut

Smile Re: The "What are you playing?" topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony
    Replaying Gears of War. It's funny, I can see the obvious qualities, but me and this game simply don't click. Soooooooooooooo pretty, but the gameplay, I dunno. I think Killzone for the psp does this type of gameplay much better.
    Your playing a great game, m8.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

"Take Command: 2nd Manassas Demo" - Quite probably the most fun game I have played in the last couple of years. It is everything the Total War series should be, with the Best AI I have ever played against and set in the American Civil War.

Everyone should buy this.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Your playing a great game, m8.
    I know, but all the time I'm thinking 'hey that's pretty neat, why am I not having fun'. Want to like it, just can't

I'm pootling about in CivCity: Rome, enjoying myself playing a relaxed city builder. Last time I played it my PC was dying and the game hadn't been patched to fix some irritating bugs, so it's a bit of a different experience to the game I played to half way through and then lost to a dead PC.

Also picked up God of War on the recommendation of a few people here and in the land of real world. So far its ok, not bad but not especially good either. I'm only 20 minutes in, too early to judge.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Dark Age of Camelot, the best MMORPG out on the market if you enjoy actual TACTICS in PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony
    I know, but all the time I'm thinking 'hey that's pretty neat, why am I not having fun'. Want to like it, just can't
    Yeah I think I understand you and agree with you. I don't own a 360 and GOW, but playing at friends house, it feels so repetitive. I don't feel like playing all the time. (After RO I can't stop!)

Is that it, is it too repetitive?
    Last edited by The Spartan (Returns); 07-04-2007 at 21:36.

Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg
    I'm pootling about in CivCity: Rome, enjoying myself playing a relaxed city builder. Last time I played it my PC was dying and the game hadn't been patched to fix some irritating bugs, so it's a bit of a different experience to the game I played to half way through and then lost to a dead PC.

Also picked up God of War on the recommendation of a few people here and in the land of real world. So far its ok, not bad but not especially good either. I'm only 20 minutes in, too early to judge.
    What turned me down to get CivCity: Rome is the low ratings at GS. Is it worth getting?

Tried out Soul Calibur III with a friend last night. We both suck at it, though I suck a little less

It seems terribly easy to just repeat the same move and 'lock' your opponent so they can't do anything, but we're probably missing something about escaping such situations.

What turned me down to get CivCity: Rome is the low ratings at GS. Is it worth getting?
    Depends on the player. It's quite easy, which I find makes it relaxing to play. It's not a pretty game if you care about that. There are some bugs and oddities left in which won't be patched; nothing game breaking or devastating. While many of the standard features are there, including the abysmal military side of things, it's not a standard city builder, so if you want a Caesar clone this isn't what you are looking for.

It has some different ideas, and it's these which make the game for me. Firstly citizens will go and get goods they require - the walker system of the old Impressions games is gone and dead, and I'm not sad to see it go. Instead each house has a radius in which it will travel to get goods. Place something providing the desired service inside that radius and off the home owner will go when he's got a spare minute after work. Better houses have more needs, and a larger radius accordingly. They also pick up extra characters to go gather resources: wife, child, slave. Walkers don't need roads either; you can build the entire city without a single tile of road if you wish. That wouldn't be a good idea, as roads speed up travel.

Secondly housing will need to be moved twice to upgrade to the maximum level; the mid-level and high class housing both have different footprints to the standard poor housing you lay out plots for. Insulae can be placed above most of the shop types, and I find myself very appreciative of that. It looks very neat when you have a street of insulae with shop signs, stalls and busy shoppers bustling along it. You can move any house at any time, whether it needs to upgrade or not, which can be handy on occasion.

Thirdly there's research. It's not a massive change to the formula, more a different flavour. It allows you to boost areas of your city to suit your needs and gives you options. Want more meat to support your growing population? Build more goat farms and butchers - or spend money and time to research animal husbandry for a 50% boost to production. Your choice.

Many of the reviews I've seen felt overly harsh to me. Like the reviewer didn't get the game, didn't want to, and didn't care. I wouldn't claim it to be a great title, however. It's merely good and enjoyable, and presently it's available very cheaply.

Don't city builders usually score quite badly anyway? I remember fuming at more than a few reviews back in the hayday of the genre.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Started playing Magical Starsign on the DS. Me like.

Nascent Veteran Member Tiberius of the Drake's Avatar

Romance of the three kingdoms VII and XI-for games apart but both are very good games focused on strategy. Focused on the fictional story of the fall of the Han dynasty in China.

Kessen III-the third installment in a great series that foucuses of the sengoku jidai perios of Japan. Innovative combat sysytem. Story focuses of Oda Nobunaga.

And a great classic..

Suikoden II-considered by some to be the best RPG of the all time. 108 different characters in this great story line based RPG. Despite it being a ps1 game it still has great replay value. If you doubt me, on ebay the cheepest price i found was 100 us dollars, 350 at its highest.
    "Something can be done, by careful analysis, to sort out truth from propaganda and legend. But this is where the real difficulties begin, since each student inevitably selects, constitutes criteria, according to his own unconscious assumptions, social, ethical or political. Moral conditioning, in the widest sense, plays a far greater part in the matter than most people- especially the historians themselves-ever realize."
    -Peter Green

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberius of the Drake
    Romance of the three kingdoms VII and XI-for games apart but both are very good games focused on strategy. Focused on the fictional story of the fall of the Han dynasty in China.

Kessen III-the third installment in a great series that foucuses of the sengoku jidai perios of Japan. Innovative combat sysytem. Story focuses of Oda Nobunaga.
    I prefer the original Kessen dont you agree?

Romance of the three kingdoms VII and XI: I always wanted to play that.
    Last edited by The Spartan (Returns); 07-08-2007 at 16:43.

Nascent Veteran Member Tiberius of the Drake's Avatar

I wish i could say but i cant get my hands on a copy of the orginal or nthe second one. I alwayd get outbid at least moment and my local gamestop only carries III
    "Something can be done, by careful analysis, to sort out truth from propaganda and legend. But this is where the real difficulties begin, since each student inevitably selects, constitutes criteria, according to his own unconscious assumptions, social, ethical or political. Moral conditioning, in the widest sense, plays a far greater part in the matter than most people- especially the historians themselves-ever realize."
    -Peter Green

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Medieval - Total War, after a long-long-long hiatus I'm modding/alpha-testing again.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

Don't city builders usually score quite badly anyway? I remember fuming at more than a few reviews back in the hayday of the genre.
    I agree. Of all the old CB's only Zeus got any overwhelmingly positive critical response, and it's probably because it's the simplest among the lot (no multiple food requirements, fewer service buildings, etc. Man the Greeks are a pretty happy-go-lucky bunch).

Then again, Zeus is also my favorite CB title. It has a lot of character you don't really get from building 30 identical Egyptian/Roman cities straight.

Right now I'm playing Caesar IV and getting worked up over it. It's so...paradoxical. On one hand it's pretty and the new service system is awesome, sayonara roadblocks! It also feels very much Impression-like which is a point Children of the Nile fails miserably on. On the other hand the service radius is so ridiculously low it's pissing me off. What Pluto-cursed Roman city needs more than one Colosseum anyway? Food production is inadequate half the time and playing "governor" with Caesar sending you all over the place feels like a step back story-wise from Zeus and Emperor.

I can't decide whether it's fun or annoying.
    Last edited by AntiochusIII; 07-08-2007 at 17:33.

Quote Originally Posted by AntiochusIII
    Food production is inadequate half the time
    That's what got me. No matter how many farms and food distribution buildings I slapped down my city was always starving. Half the map was covered in farms and still it wasn't enough for a tiny population. My granaries were empty, my food shops were empty, and my plebs where whining like merry hell. No where could I find an equivolent to the old report which told you how much food you were producing, leaving me more frustrated. That report had been in every game since Caesar III! Why cut it now?

I liked the demo, liked Children of the Nile, and loved all the old Impressions games, but CIV I ended up drifting away from before I finished the lengthy tutorial campaign. Admittedly this was in some small part due to it playing badly on my dying PC. I do intend to load it up and see how it does on my new PC; that will be some time after I complete CivCity: Rome. I always found CC:R to be by far the more enjoyable of the pair.

What Pluto-cursed Roman city needs more than one Colosseum anyway?
    In CC:R there is no need to have 6 of each high-end entertainment building; people will walk to them, so unless you plan badly there is never need for a second of each. That was one thing I hated about the old Impressions games. If it's a one of a kind semi wonder of the ancient world why the devil should you need more than one? Just make them really expensive to build and give them map-wide coverage or something.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

THE RED REVOLUTION!!! OH NOES.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Update:

It has gotten worse.

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Anachronox is turning out to be something of a gem. I haven't made it very far yet, but am loving the stylised graphics, magnificent character and tight plot and script. It's almost like a combination of an adventure game with a more Japanese-style rpg thing, and it's excellent.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

One easily trifled with Member Target Champion Motep's Avatar

Lets see...

Still playin AOEII and Rome

Just beat Kingdom Hearts II (I was bored, so I played my sisters game)

Mercenaries, again, agin, again, and again (I think ive beat it over twenty times now...)
    TosaInu shall never be forgotten.

One easily trifled with Member Target Champion Motep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ichigo
    Update:

It has gotten worse.
    What game is that?
    TosaInu shall never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey S
    Anachronox is turning out to be something of a gem. I haven't made it very far yet, but am loving the stylised graphics, magnificent character and tight plot and script. It's almost like a combination of an adventure game with a more Japanese-style rpg thing, and it's excellent.
    I played it one or two years ago, it's basically a collection of fetch quests, but for some reason it does work (most of the time). Definetely a diamond in the rough.

I'm playing clean up your mess right now

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

That's what got me. No matter how many farms and food distribution buildings I slapped down my city was always starving. Half the map was covered in farms and still it wasn't enough for a tiny population. My granaries were empty, my food shops were empty, and my plebs where whining like merry hell. No where could I find an equivolent to the old report which told you how much food you were producing, leaving me more frustrated. That report had been in every game since Caesar III! Why cut it now?
    I agree, even after 1.2 the game appears to be buggy inside. And if the Tilted Mill forums tell me anything it appears game speed heavily affects walker mechanics.

For someone who likes to play at full speed it's a little troublesome to realize that my Prefects will be much less effective than other people's in the same circumstance.

Still, personally I find the tutorial campaign to be terrible and other maps improve over that. They are so small that you can't build anything meaningful in them.
    In CC:R there is no need to have 6 of each high-end entertainment building; people will walk to them, so unless you plan badly there is never need for a second of each. That was one thing I hated about the old Impressions games. If it's a one of a kind semi wonder of the ancient world why the devil should you need more than one? Just make them really expensive to build and give them map-wide coverage or something.
    Sounds like I need to try out CC:R, then. Who knows? Maybe I'll like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Motep
    What game is that?
    Hearts of Iron II, by Paradox. World War II setting. Though do be aware that Ichigo is using a mod; I remember that setting from somewhere...Ichigo, why did you let the commie bastards get out of hand!!?

Oh, and update on topic: replaying Vampire: Bloodlines right now as a Malkavian female. Amazing game, I've never played such scary hotels and zombie catacombs and disturbing mansions in my life; and the Malkavian dialogue is, well...
    Last edited by AntiochusIII; 07-10-2007 at 09:41.

Quote Originally Posted by AntiochusIII
    Hearts of Iron II, by Paradox. World War II setting. Though do be aware that Ichigo is using a mod; I remember that setting from somewhere...Ichigo, why did you let the commie bastards get out of hand!!?
    HoI2:DD with All the Russias mod. It was quite unexpected actually I was at war with Poland and Ukraine then the Proletariats rose up and it all went downhill from there. Finland wanted land and another country did. Then Siberia wanted it's independence it was horrible.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Two new games:

Odin Sphere for the PS2- The artwork in this game is truly amazing. Best I've seen for a 2D game. The voice-acting is also well above par and you have the option to switch to the original Japanese if you wanted to. The fighting is relatively straight-forward, but the game gets some depth with it's alchemy system where you find/grow plants and mix various potions. A very engrossing game.

Lunar Kights for the DS- This is a game in a sci-fi setting where the world is dominated by a race of vampires. You can alternate between 2 characters, a solitary sword-wielding vampire hunter who's attacks are powered by moonlight and a rookie Guild Gunslinger who shoots a gun powered by the Sun's energy to defeat vampires.

The vampires have installed a device over the Earth that filters sunlight and allows them to control much of the weather. Before you can completely destroy a boss you have to first defeat them, then seal them in a coffin which you then must drag out of earth's atmosphere using your spaceship to an orbiting satellite that you use to focus concentrated sunlight on them, thus destroying them for good. Most of the game takes place from an isometric, overhead viewpoint- but the spaceship sequences use a 3D perspective and make exclusive use of the touchscreen and actually can get pretty frantic in the heat of battle. The game also makes copious use of anime-style cut scenes (for the DS anyhow).
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Replaying Oblivion and now I would like to get some mods for it.

What mod would be better? Francesco's or OOO?

Page 11 of 108 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast