Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So Windows vista’s out

Default Re: So Windows vista’s out

No offense to anyone who has already, but you'd have to be the world's biggest sucker to buy Vista before SP2.

SP1 will come out before Christmas, you can count on that 110% (most people wait until SP1 to purchase software, you do the math). SP2 will come out about 6 months later.

Until then, you are all beta testers suckered with cute Aero interfaces.

(All of my information comes from my Dad, who worked on Vista back when it was named after texas cattle).
    If I wanted to be [jerked] around and have my intelligence insulted, I'd go back to church.
    -Bill Maher

Quote Originally Posted by PaulTa
    (All of my information comes from my Dad, who worked on Vista back when it was named after texas cattle).
    "No offence", but it appears to me that you've just turned up here to state the obvious, troll the thread and make us all aware that "daddy works for Ms".

Quote Originally Posted by Caravel
    "No offence", but it appears to me that you've just turned up here to state the obvious, troll the thread and make us all aware that "daddy works for Ms".
    I'm sure he didn't intend any hard feelings. So let's take none!

A nice smiley would be the best course of action.. <-- Me thinks!

Thanks for the info, PaulTa!
    "Cry, the beloved country, for the unborn child that is the inheritor of our fear. Let him not love the earth too deeply. Let him not laugh too gladly when the water runs through his fingers, nor stand too silent when the setting sun makes red the veld with fire. Let him not be moved when the birds of his land are singing, nor give too much of his heart to a mountain or a valley. For fear will rob him of all if he gives too much."

Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton.

Charge Men............Retreat! Member The Foolish Horseman's Avatar

im probably not gonna buy vista until Cod3 comes out on pc, because word has it it will be vista only!! which is why it is not out yet

plus if shogun 2 is on vista only, then vista will end up getting 100s of new customers

IN Total War I Trust!!

The Foolish Horseman, previously known as GBB

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by General Boreaus Brittanicus
    plus if shogun 2 is on vista only, then vista will end up getting 100s of new customers
    Actually, I suspect some people's aversion to a potentially destructive OS is likely to be stronger than his/her love of the Total War games.

Moreover, Jerome just guaranteed us in this very thread that CA will be releasing games on DX9 for some time yet. Wonderful thing to know, that.

I would not touch Vista with a ten-foot pole. I might get the cheapest version for gaming purproses only, after games that I want to have start making heavy use of DX10, but it will probably be quite a while before that point.

I personally believe it's all a great conspiracy between M$ and hardware manufacturers. Release an OS that they know a whole load of people will want to buy, but requires a new and very expensive computer to run, while having all these hardware products endorsed by M$, thus allowing them to recieve a slice of the sweet pie.
    I rather doubt that. From what I've read, the DRM crap in Vista has to be integrated into new sound and graphics hardware, which drives up development costs; this should show in the price tag of the products, narrowing the market and making people more reluctant to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricEel
    I rather doubt that. From what I've read, the DRM crap in Vista has to be integrated into new sound and graphics hardware, which drives up development costs; this should show in the price tag of the products, narrowing the market and making people more reluctant to upgrade.
    Didn't that already happen?
    My 7950Gt has "HDTV" and "HDCP" written on the package so I guess that incorporation is already done and to be honest, I didn't really notice it.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

The thing that everyone misses in the vista DRM debate is that if vista didn't support it, you wouldn't be able to watch anything, even if you had the right hardware
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

why cant we play games like Halo 2 and CoD3 on XP too? i hear its only Vista!

Halo 2 is a dx10 tech demo (so it's meant to only run on dx10 and thus vista)

not sure about CoD3 though

You'd need a new gfx card to play them anyway
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Quote Originally Posted by sapi
    The thing that everyone misses in the vista DRM debate is that if vista didn't support it, you wouldn't be able to watch anything, even if you had the right hardware
    Well, in that case everybody would complain about being unable to watch new movies on Vista and how the big evil Microsoft screwed it up so much etc.

Exactly

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Husar
    Everybody would complain about being unable to watch new movies on Vista and how the big evil Microsoft screwed it up so much etc.
    Way to over-simplify the issues involved! Bravo!

Look, the providers of technology need to negotiate with the content providers over where and how much to restrict our ability to use technology as designed. This has been going on for decades. What gets people like me riled up is the way Microsoft bent over backwards for the content providers, and gave them everything they demanded and then some.

It's supposed to be a negotiation, not a capitulation. But if you want to see peoples' concern about Vista DRM as blind, stupid Microsoft-bashing, well, that's your privilege.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Sounds like a great business chance for Apple... so what are they doing with the content providers.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Way to over-simplify the issues involved! Bravo!

Look, the providers of technology need to negotiate with the content providers over where and how much to restrict our ability to use technology as designed. This has been going on for decades. What gets people like me riled up is the way Microsoft bent over backwards for the content providers, and gave them everything they demanded and then some.

It's supposed to be a negotiation, not a capitulation. But if you want to see peoples' concern about Vista DRM as blind, stupid Microsoft-bashing, well, that's your privilege.
    No, I'm not a big fan of that decision either, but I can accept it.
    Concerning their negotiations, we don't really know how they went, who was doing them and who influenced who by which means etc. so I wouldn't judge that too fast either.

I also wonder what happened to TCPA?
    Wasn't that supposed to be included in the next Microsoft OS?
    I'd just hate Vista telling me I cannot install for example Mount&Blade simply because the devs didn't pay a few millions to Microsoft or whoever is responsible for that.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

I have yet to see an unbiased review of Vista that actually gave it a solid thumbs up. Were I ordering a new computer anytime soon, I'd want it loaded with XP, not Vista. And if it's as bloated as so many are saying that it is, XP could possibly be my last MS OS.

Here's an amusing little story that cites anonymous Microsoft executives complaining about computer makers installing non-MS approved applications on their computers. I like how they refer to 3rd party applications as "craplets"- really classy. Sounds to me like they're trying to get out ahead in the upcoming finger-pointing by blaming software makers if their software no longer works in Vista. If only they had paid their protection money to Microsoft, they wouldn't have this problem.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou
    Were I ordering a new computer anytime soon, I'd want it loaded with XP, not Vista.
    I'm having a friend who builds systems slap me together a small, cheap laptop. For the same cost he can load it with Vista or XP (don'tcha love how MS keeps old licenses as expensive or more expensive than the new ones?).

You can guess from my previous posts which way I'm going on this. For the same price, XP is a much better deal.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Its to do with the way business licenses are done. You now pay $X per seat which gets you access to the OS and/or Office Products of any supported version.

As before you never buy software you buy a license to use it. I don't think car licenses are based on the car type you drive...
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am annoyed with Supreme Commander now. New game from the makers of TA.

Minimum specs have XP. Reccomended have Vista
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

I believe it's to do with the games for windows branding - it makes absolutely no difference (and the vista version will probably run worse)

Charge Men............Retreat! Member The Foolish Horseman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spino

I agree, DX10 games won't be a factor for at least another year, possibly longer.

DX10 games are out in June. Alan Wake, Halo 2 and Crysis are the first

IN Total War I Trust!!

The Foolish Horseman, previously known as GBB

Default Re : Re: So Windows vista’s out

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou
    [...]

Here's an amusing little story that cites anonymous Microsoft executives complaining about computer makers installing non-MS approved applications on their computers. I like how they refer to 3rd party applications as "craplets"- really classy. Sounds to me like they're trying to get out ahead in the upcoming finger-pointing by blaming software makers if their software no longer works in Vista. If only they had paid their protection money to Microsoft, they wouldn't have this problem.
    Protection money This damn mafia corporation. People in respectable suits, looking and acting respectable, but in the meanwhile they's dirty like Hell. Hrrrr.

I was thinking of getting XP 64-bit, but when I think about it, I might as well wait and buy Vista when it's more or less patched up. XP won't be leaving us just yet :)
    Emotion, passions, and desires are, thus peace is not.
    Emotion: you have it or it has you.

---

Pay heed to my story named The Thief in the Mead Hall.
    No.

---

Check out some of my music.

Default Re: Re : Re: So Windows vista’s out

Quote Originally Posted by Bijo
    I was thinking of getting XP 64-bit, but when I think about it, I might as well wait and buy Vista when it's more or less patched up. XP won't be leaving us just yet :)
    I have heard that XP 64 is quite buggy.
    I'M running Vista Business 64bit for about a week now and I don't really know what they could patch. Didn't have a single crash or bluescreen, only problem was that home basic and business have no included DVD video codec and the only compatible DVD player I found was Win DVD 8, but that works great so far, just too bad it's only a 14-day trial and costs 40EUR afterwards(yes, I did try some free codec package but that didn't help).
    Well, apart from that I just turned off that account protection thing because it didn't allow the graphics driver to save settings.

Now I can see people getting all worked up over that because "oh noes, it needs a ton of tweaks", but XP needs even more IMO and that's why Vista makes me happy, it seems reliable, "smooth" and everything feels more complete all around.
    I'd keep XP on another partition for incompatibilities, but so far all the games I installed are running fine(M2TW, Gothic 3, Anno 1701, Boiling Point and Mount&Blade), didn't even notice any big differences in performance so far.

Ahh, writing half an essay again, well, if you have questions, ask them and maybe I can even answer them.

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

I was in best buy yesterday pricing PCs . I couldnt believe not one came with XP, they only came with Vista overnight. Why buy something untested when xp is so well developed and tested?
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Gawain, this is why Microsoft has not been in a tizzy over low sales of Vista. They don't care, since they expect the majority of sales to come from people buying new PCs. The only way to get XP on a new PC will be to go to a local builder.

You could always wipe the hard drive when it comes and re-install a legitimate copy of XP. It's work, and you'd need to have your drivers ready to go, but it's kind of nice to have your hand firmly on what goes into your boxen.

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

The only way to get XP on a new PC will be to go to a local builder.
    Which is exactly what Im doing. Again lol.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain of Orkeny
    I was in best buy yesterday pricing PCs . I couldnt believe not one came with XP, they only came with Vista overnight. Why buy something untested when xp is so well developed and tested?
    Well, that statement could be applied to everything including hardware. Why buy a mainboard before you can be sure there will be no more BIOS upgrades?
    It all depends on your point of view. Why sail the unknown ocean for a new route to India if there is a well established one already?

Yeah, Gawain, why aren't you searching for a new route for the Indes spice trade? Why? Why? WHY?

Yeah, Gawain, why aren't you searching for a new route for the Indes spice trade? Why? Why? WHY?
    Good question, where is the old spirit of exploration? He could find a new route thousands of miles beneath the sea, maybe through the core.....

Well, all I wanted to say was that just because it's anew OS from Microsoft, it's not necessarily bad. I'm just trying to judge things myself and get rid of certain prejudices I had before. I also did hate Windows back with 95, 98 and ME which were very prone to crashes, but XP was decent and with Vista I have experienced no major problems yet and I tried the Beta2, RC1 and now the final business version.
    Maybe it's because I like new shiny things or because I generally like new things, but then again I don't like Command and Conquer 3.

I don't know, maybe I'm one of them?

edit: so many sweatdrops, good thing I can swim...

Well I've got Vista on my new pc and my Mrs laptop and, after some getting used to, it seems to be quite good, got M2TW, EQ2, EVE, Warhammer to work all without too much bother.

And if I can do it anyone can

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast