Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First cohorts, night battles + recruitable roman generals minimod

Default Re: First cohorts, night battles + recruitable roman generals minimod

I dind't realised that it was yet released. I've uploaded a new version, 1.2a now, that contains all the changes from "Improved CTD FIX" (new EDB).

Hi
    Just installed last version (1.2a) and launched Sweboz campaign for 'inspection'. But in the capital building list i`ve seen a warning!!! structure. Is it 0.81a3 or mod bug? want to report but don`t know where. So first i put it here :)
    Campaigns:
    EB1.1 Qarthadast - completed
    EB1.1+MMP1.1 Pahlava campaign (VH/M)- ceased by RL
    EB1.2(alx.exe)+MMP3.1 for Alex(Lz3) Hayasdan - ongoing

That is currently an EB wide problem. For some weird reason some of the buildings that exist in a settlement from the start of the campaign are of Western greek culture (the slave faction default culuture). Some buildings as the one in the sweboz capital normally don't have a greek variant and thus no description except the warning should not appear on screen thingy.

Hi cunctator realy nice work you have done. I wonder if this work will be included in future versions of EB? Or will this only be a mod to EB??
    Cheers

Yes, you will see probably all of these things in the next major release of EB.

Smile Re: First cohorts, night battles + recruitable roman generals minimod

Ok this sounds realy great thanks

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

Just downloaded the mod before starting my Roman campaign last night. Can't wait to see those first cohorts in action, although it'll take me a while to get the Marian reforms.

I know the mod isn't save game compatible. Does that mean all of my old saves should be deleted, or just that the changes made won't apply to them?
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Closet Celtophile Member Redmeth's Avatar

I have one thing that worries me, if the Roman generals are recruitable, doesn't that mean that the Roman AI will start to spam them in great numbers? Killing generals is already hard as it is... I mean it's really nice IF you're playing the Romans. Otherwise First cohorts and night battles are a welcome addition

Member Member Domitius Ulpianus's Avatar

I am curious about something...Cunctator you say the AI will go after the settlement where the Eagle is being "kept". How do you make the AI behave like this...the reason I am asking is because I was wondering if the same "mechanism" can be used to somewhat instruct the AI to attack certain places...and counter some of the stupid AI behaviour seen in RTW.

Thanks a lot,....can't wait to finish my current campaing to install your mod.!!
    «Iustitia est constans et perpetua voluntas ius suum cuique tribuendi. Iuris praecepta sunt haec: honeste vivere alterum non laedere, suum cuique tribuere.»

Re-writing history, one turn at a time, with:

Quote Originally Posted by Redmeth
    I have one thing that worries me, if the Roman generals are recruitable, doesn't that mean that the Roman AI will start to spam them in great numbers? Killing generals is already hard as it is... I mean it's really nice IF you're playing the Romans. Otherwise First cohorts and night battles are a welcome addition
    In camillan and polybian eras Roman generals can only be recruited in Roma and it takes 4 turns and a level 5 MIC to build them. Thus the AI could build 4 full sized equites extraordinarii units in the same time as one half sized generals unit. Together with the fact that it seems that most AI units are trained in frontline cities I think this should be enough to prevent Ai from spaming them.

After the marian reforms generals can be recruited in all homeland provinces but then the Romans will have a bigger empire that should balance the enlarged recruitment era, and the AI still can't produce them in the same numbers as ordinary units.

After the augustan reforms things look different, but I doubt the AI will ever manage to reach this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Domitius Ulpianus
    I am curious about something...Cunctator you say the AI will go after the settlement where the Eagle is being "kept". How do you make the AI behave like this...the reason I am asking is because I was wondering if the same "mechanism" can be used to somewhat instruct the AI to attack certain places...and counter some of the stupid AI behaviour seen in RTW.
    It's a hardcoded feature, from the vanilla game.

Closet Celtophile Member Redmeth's Avatar

Thanks for the answer, I'm convinced.

Hello Cunctator

How about extending this mod to all factions in EB as far as the generals recruiting feature? Every faction should be able to recruit his generals.

do you need to have bi installed for this mod to work?

Quote Originally Posted by KARTLOS
    do you need to have bi installed for this mod to work?

I'd like to know that as well. Do I need BI or does it work with the normal EB install?
    My first balloon:

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

It's designed for regular RTW with EB on top.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

and if I play 0.81a on BI, do you think it will work?
    My first balloon:

Sorry I couldn't anwer earlier. As Geoffrey said, it does not need BI but is fully compatible with it.

Just a sugestion, as this is the ultamite rome campian, could you change the dates to reflect this (like it says in the ad/bc thread, you could base it on the founding of rome). I think you would have to change the script file, and the descr_strat file.

Just an idea

Cunctator, i downloaded and installed your mini-mod. But when i want to start a game it loads but just before i get the mapvieuw, the game shuts down and i return to desktop. I made sure it wasn't because of the map.rwm and even reinstalled it to make sure i didn't make a mistake. But even then it still doesn't work. On the downloading-site someone posted that the file is corrupt, could that be the problem?

Unhappy Re: First cohorts, night battles + recruitable roman generals minimod

Hi! I've got the same problem! Where may I get it from?

btw: It sounds excellent!

Now it works. but... when I start playing, everything starts shaking...wird...
    Last edited by kirwan; 04-15-2007 at 11:17.

You can try the alternative download from rapidshare if the TWC file is corrupted.

http://rapidshare.com/files/24613154/fcm1.2a.zip.html

Waht do you mean by everything is shaking?

Hi Does the first cohorts mod change the EBBS_script.txt? as I wanna use the money fix to avoid full stacks after full stacks of german troops?

No, EBBS_script.txt is unchanged.

most other people seem to to be able to play this Mod but I keep CTD with no error warnings. Does anyone have any suggestions

oops. sorry for the incomplete post.
    Last edited by Narhon; 04-27-2007 at 04:05.

Without any description about the circumstances of your CTD, or even an uploaded savegame it is unlikely that anybody will be able to help you.

Smile Re: First cohorts, night battles + recruitable roman generals minimod

Quote Originally Posted by Narhon
    most other people seem to to be able to play this Mod but I keep CTD with no error warnings. Does anyone have any suggestions

oops. sorry for the incomplete post.

I have the EB .80 and the .81a patch for some reason I could not get the full install to download. The .81 works fine I installed the First cohort mod and The custom battle works fine but the Campaign CTD as soon as the campaign loading screen is complete. I uninstalled the game several times and the problem still persists. I did try I am looking forward to playing this mod. I did try loading file at a time and the game played fine or crashed before the first screen was up and the message stated something about looking for the (first cohorts) sorry I did not copy the exact message. when I loaded the last few files the export_descr_unit files the game loaded but crashed when the campaign was finished loading. The custom battle worked

I am looking forward to playing this mod.

Just your average Senior Member Warmaster Horus's Avatar
    Besancon, France: a stepping stone to greatness. I hope.

Hi! This minimod is great. I just love the First Cohort, despite the fact that I can only use them in custom battles (They'll come soon in my campaign though). I abandonned my Romani Campaign up to 214 to get them, because I just couldn't imagine a Roman Legio without an Eagle and a First Cohort.

I do have one question though: if I disband my first Cohort of Legio I, while having a Legio II, when I recruit another Legio, will it be numbered Legio I or Legio III?
    The Throne Room: "Less a forum, more a way of life." Econ21
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Join the latest greatest installement of mafia games: Capo di Tutti Capi!
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

@ Narhon: What version of the 0.81a patch do you use? There was a problem with the EB081a-hotfix.exe installer so that the game did not work after installation.

The correct installation order if can't get the 0.81a full install would be:
    1. EB v0.80
    2. EB v0.80 -> v0.81 patch
    3. EB v0.81 -> v0.81a Hotfix, .zip version

You can get the two latter patchs here:
    https://www.europabarbarorum.com/downloads_patch.html

If your install is ok, does the campaign game in 0.81a work for you before you install the first cohort mod? From my experience the game usually crashs without warning if any necessary file is missing. Also have you deleted the map.rwm in the "Rome\EB\Data\world\maps\base" directory?

Dropping just single files in the directories instead of the whole mod will inevitably not work since all are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Warmaster Horus
    I do have one question though: if I disband my first Cohort of Legio I, while having a Legio II, when I recruit another Legio, will it be numbered Legio I or Legio III?
    Should be Legio III.

Cool Re: First cohorts, night battles + recruitable roman generals minimod

I got the game to work I had a firewall problem and could not install the full install but a friend brought that to my attention. I installed the full install and the hotfix zip and then installed the first cohort. I am currently enjoying the mod. thanks for all your help and for a great mod. so far I give the mod a 9.5 out of ten and that is because I do not believe in perfect 10. one can improve everything someway or other.

i played v1.2 as Romani to ca. 144BC....now i got an CTD during the very last moment of the eleutheroi turn.
    probably a rebellion ctd in Asia Minor (pergamum) or perhaps eastern africa (aquileia or other city)

so i have a question for this minimod.

is it savegame compatible if i install v1.2a, or even some of the other fixes in the sticky thread for EB?

thx
    AA

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast