Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for v0.81

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Default Re: Suggestions for v0.81

If you are talking about rebels attacking rebels, that is impossible. RTW sees the rebels as a united demi-faction.

EB uses immobile rebel governors to make the cities keep a decent garrison, this slows down progress and deters the blitzkrieg so common in vanilla. Additionally, the spawned rebels are annoying and spurned by most players, so they are toned down. There is no way we can have this AND have strong marauders. Not to mention that we can't control the campaign AI to combine forces.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

I didnt mean rebel attacking rebel since its the same faction I dont see how that would work. I was thinking something along the lines of if a faction was notorious for being attacked by certain tribes, then programming that rebel town to be more aggressive.

By the way, I think you guys might have missed a spy's death in the Makedonian campaign. There is a random spy, fully upgraded, near the northern shore of the Bosphorus, I think thats what its called, and it seems like he was supposed to be one of those guys who should die in the beginning of the game to portray knowledge of that area.

Can you make some sage the new recruitment mic of some faction like Baktria use the same Makedonia they masthe use the mic forme Seleukid Empire after the are a Seleukid Empire satrap, and Ptolemaic Empire , Saba they close une and another. Sorry about words

Proximity alone isn't what determines who shares MIC complexes - but some factions that are much like other ones might share theirs - like the gauls, or ptolemies and seleukids. We won't be changing that pattern up at this point as it was pretty complex just to get it working like it is now.

Just a query....should Thraikoi Peltastai have 11 melee attack and 20 defense? By comparison, Pantodopoi Phalangitai have 11 attack but 15 defense. Just wondering....it seems a little much for a skirmisher...
    Pontos rocks!

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Remember, that defense is composed of three actual values. That and Pantodopoi Phalangitai kinda suck.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Elephant Master Member Conqueror's Avatar

Don't you dare to speak ill of Pantodapoi Phalangitai It's one of the most useful units in the game IMO. The only phalanx you can actually afford to use as eastern greek faction in the early years. And it gets the job done. In fact, I just witnessed amazing performance by these guys in game. Was besieging Side from two sides, because I couldn't merge my armies. The garrison sallied out and of corse they attacked the small captain-led part of my forces instead of the bigger general-led part. So no benefit out of my general's traits. What's far worse though was that I accidentally allowed AI control over my reinforcements, which was most of my troops, leaving me only 3 units led by a captain

Long story short, those units were predictably doomed, unable to link up with the braindead reinforcements coming from the other side of the map. Couldn't hope to withdraw them either as the enemy started too close (no town walls) and their cavalry would have easily catched my all-infantry units. So I set them up for a last stand. Two of the three units (including my captain who got killed) were overwhelmed but one of them, a Pantodapoi Phalangitai, refused to rout. I could hardly believe my eyes, but despite their commander dead, their friends routed and themselves being surrounded, exhausted and taking a charge in the rear (admittedly, by an almost completely decimated cavalry unit) they just kept on fighting! Eventually they were destroyed, as they were just hopelessly outnumbered. But they made the enemy pay a massive price in blood and sweat for taking them out. If it were possible to make our own unique buildings in EB, I'd be erecting a monument in the honor of that unit.

Sorry for this off-topicness but someone has to stand for the poor levies who so courageously fight and die for the petty ambitions of their warmongering tyrants

RTW, 167 BC: Rome expels Greek philosophers after the Lex Fannia law is passed. This bans the effete and nasty Greek practice of 'philosophy' in favour of more manly, properly Roman pursuits that don't involve quite so much thinking.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conqueror
    Was besieging Side from two sides, because I couldn't merge my armies. The garrison sallied out and of corse they attacked the small captain-led part of my forces instead of the bigger general-led part. So no benefit out of my general's traits.
    That's why you only besiege a town with one army. Have the other armies come up to the town but not attack it. They will reinforce a battle, but they are completely safe from the army inside the city. Plus, since you can't use siege equiptment made by multiple armies, there is no real point.

For the first time a day or two ago I had the besiegers sally out and attack a secondary group I had sieging the town (with no equipment). My primary army showed up as reinforcements, carrying their seige equipment across the red line - first time I'd ever seen that happen.

Hi
    will this modd have updated skys ?
    As i have seen on RS modd ?

Also what do the spartans look like?
    and other greek units since this next update.

Can you give a list what was updated?

thks

Quote Originally Posted by swhunter
    Hi
    will this modd have updated skys ?
    As i have seen on RS modd ?
    No

Also what do the spartans look like?
    and other greek units since this next update.
    The same.

Can you give a list what was updated?
    It is quite literally all listed on the first page. Go and check.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Quote Originally Posted by Conqueror
    Don't you dare to speak ill of Pantodapoi Phalangitai It's one of the most useful units in the game IMO.
    No worries mate, we've all had those experiences where one unit bravely sacrefices itself to save our butts and goes out in a blaze of glory.

I don't really doubt their usefulness but in the grand scheme of things, I don't play the big hellenic states and usually end up making a sport of killing the hordes of them Big Grey hires. Good to know that these guys have a hero complex though if I finally start a Mak game.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky
    No worries mate, we've all had those experiences where one unit bravely sacrefices itself to save our butts and goes out in a blaze of glory.

I don't really doubt their usefulness but in the grand scheme of things, I don't play the big hellenic states and usually end up making a sport of killing the hordes of them Big Grey hires. Good to know that these guys have a hero complex though if I finally start a Mak game.
    The Baktrian ones suck though...fricking cowards! I swear it had nothing at all to do with them being captain-led and flanked! Seriously....

Ok, before I get warned for spam....any way to move one of the starting Getai armies closer to Kallatis? The Getai still seem to have trouble getting themselves going...maybe give them a spy around Sarmiszegethusa or move that northern army closer to Kallatis and see if the AI can add two and two once in a while? Because I'm at a loss with them...every other faction seems to be able to expand most of the time...
    Pontos rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Elminster12
    The Baktrian ones suck though...fricking cowards! I swear it had nothing at all to do with them being captain-led and flanked! Seriously....

Ok, before I get warned for spam....any way to move one of the starting Getai armies closer to Kallatis? The Getai still seem to have trouble getting themselves going...maybe give them a spy around Sarmiszegethusa or move that northern army closer to Kallatis and see if the AI can add two and two once in a while? Because I'm at a loss with them...every other faction seems to be able to expand most of the time...
    Yea. Whatever you did to the Lustianians, Seleucids, Steppe Tribes, and Casse to have them finnaly wake up as faction and due stuff, plz do to the Getai. Us Getai fans will love you for it.
    I shouldn't have to live in a world where all the good points are horrible ones.

Is he hurt? Everybody asks that. Nobody ever says, 'What a mess! I hope the doctor is not emotionally harmed by having to deal with it.'

Something I love to see is pools of mercenary's consisting of several regions like in RTW vanilla. This might help stop the insane merc. recruitment of for instance the romans in germania.

Another minor suggestion (unless there have been changes since 0.81a) is to change the descr_event_images.txt file with these changes.:

Code:
    building_completed
    	icon	settlement
    	heading_items	6
    	format
    	{
    		title		center verdana		black
    		string		center verdana_med	khaki
    		bodystring	left   verdana_sml  khaki	left
    		image		center
    		spacer		 8
    		multistring left verdana_med  black	center
    		multistring left verdana_sml  khaki	left
    	}

unit_completed
    	icon	military
    	heading_items	5
    	format
    	{
    		image		center
    		spacer		8
    		spacer		8
    		multistring left   verdana_sml  khaki	left
    	}

retraining_complete
    	icon	military
    	format
    	{
    		image		center
    		spacer		8
    		spacer		8
    	}

building_repair_complete
    	icon	settlement
    	format
    	{
    		image		center
    		spacer		8
    	}
    as opposed to the original:

Code:
    building_completed
    	icon	settlement
    	heading_items	6
    	format
    	{
    		image		center
    		spacer		 8
    		string		center verdana_med	black
    	}

unit_completed
    	icon	military
    	heading_items	5
    	format
    	{
    		image		center
    		spacer		8
    		spacer		8
    		multistring left   verdana_sml  khaki	left
    	}

retraining_complete
    	icon	military
    	format
    	{
    		image		center
    		spacer		8
    		spacer		8
    	}
    building_repair_complete
    	icon	settlement
    	format
    	{
    		image		center
    		spacer		8
    	}
    which will prevent text from overlapping:

Last two are the current situation, top 2 are with the changes above.
    EB member

Oh...just a head-up. Something is screwed up with the Temples of Men and Mithra for Pontos. Men gives trade bonuses and Mithra gives Farm bonuses, but the priests give the other temples bonus(i.e. Priest of Mithra has a trade bonus and Priest of Men has a farming bonus). So, I'm guessing something is flip-flopped there...though I forgot to flip-flop it in my original post..
    Last edited by Elminster12; 03-11-2007 at 18:13.
    Pontos rocks!

Hello,

Why not a "Corvus" reform for the Romans, a little bit like the Cataphract one for the Seleucids, if it is possible. If Romans are defeated on the sea by Carthage, then they would get the possibility to develop ships equipped with Corvus, better than anything Carthaginian ship.

(I doubt script triggers may allow it though. But well!)

Hi. Could oyu make the roman trait system more like the Imperator mod one armywise?
    I mean we would get the option of granting titles to generals other than hope they get them (like consuls and all that).

Cheers...

Has a garrison script ever been discussed?

Is the Olympic Games trigger supposed to fire when the general is running around in the field or only in cities? Right now it gets everyone in cities that's applicable but most of my generals in the field get it too...

Also, would it be possible to make the 'supervisor' trait go away after the general leaves a city for while or an anti-trait for it?
    Last edited by antisocialmunky; 03-14-2007 at 00:15.

Any chance of a Hibernian faction? Cúchulainn and Na Fianna deserve a chance to wreak a bit of havok!
    Love the game by the way, its amazing how far you've brought it from the original.

Cúchulainn would be a great addition.

Registered just now to post a huge thanks, congratulations, and other assorted compliments because I know modding is a mostly thankless task, and one whose payment is solely in the love of the labor itself and the pleased user. I have modded a few other games outside of TW and used countless others, and have to say this is the most detailed, well written and all encompassing one I have used. Have formed this opinion after using BE for a mere week, but am astounded at the historical accurateness, not many people know of any Celtic tribes much less their role and placement in history, it is truly a delight seeing them here, and the understanding and detail of the various military units represented across the board. Also like the occasional variations in spellings of various groups which is reflective of actual variations during this era (and now).

I use this mod with BI patched to 1.6 with no issues thus far. Also, are there advantages (specific to region/unit limits and other game issues) to porting this to the MII engine? Know from personal modding of TW that each game since Medieval works in a similar fashion, but your team must clearly be getting into the true "nitty gritty". Anyway, will keep this short so as not to wear out my welcome, keep up the fantastic work.

Played my first .81a game and noticed that the Illician Thorakitai size might have been overlooked when Thorakitai sizes were reset to 80(Large).
    Last edited by antisocialmunky; 03-15-2007 at 06:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiberno
    Any chance of a Hibernian faction? Cúchulainn and Na Fianna deserve a chance to wreak a bit of havok!
    Love the game by the way, its amazing how far you've brought it from the original.
    The Goidilic were considered among other factions, but the Saka and Saba won the last two slots. But for EB 2 I'd expect the Goidilic tribes to be a faction.
    I shouldn't have to live in a world where all the good points are horrible ones.

Is he hurt? Everybody asks that. Nobody ever says, 'What a mess! I hope the doctor is not emotionally harmed by having to deal with it.'

Thanks for the kind words Chef Fain. Hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of it not just with the Celtic factions but with the others too - they all have similar levels of detail or will by the end of this.

hey for those asking about the Getai, we're working on some changes to the starting set-up, and I hope the changes will help the Getai expand, especially toward Kallatis.
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

EB Getai player Member MoROmeTe's Avatar
    Campina, Romania, currently stationed in Bucharest, Romania

The army that is halfway between Kallatis and Olbia needs to be moved closer to Kallatis and maybe the army in Buridava sgould start out of the city closer to Naissos? And I am sure there are some tweaks in relations that can be used to get a boost to the starting Dacians...
    For my name is Legion...

Questor of AI revenue. Member The Errant's Avatar

OK. It just looked on the EB worldmap posted on the gameplay guides subforum. It occured to me that the reason the Seleucids are allways pestering the Sabeans lies in the Arabian territories apparent vulnerability.
    Also the AI tends to take the "shortest route" to it's target.

The Seleucids want to go to war with the Ptolies. OK. Let's go trekking across the desert. Same thing goes the other way around. Sure on the map it looks like the shortest route, but with any kind of basic roads going from Mesopotamia via Syria and Ioudaia should be faster than trekking across the desert.

Please make the Arabian province impassable and unconquarable. Make Nabataia province impassable for all parts except the immediate surroundings of Bostra and the southern coastline. Also restrict roadbuilding in Nabataia, Tadmor and Sinai provinces. If you have to allow roads in Nabataia restrict them to the surroundings of Bostra and the coast.

Sinai may have to keep the ability to construct roads, but should be restricted to the most basic level. No paved roads or highways.
    Tadmor is clearly a desert province and it shouldn't have roads either.

I think these changes would help to balance the game considerably. And eliminate the unrealistic desert wars between the Ptolies and Seleucids. It would also help the Sabeans early game not to have to look over they're shoulder at Arabia province, all the while expecting the next Seleucid stack coming south along the hostile desert.

"If you listen, carefully. You can hear the Gods laughing."

Last words of Emperor Commodus. From "The Fall of the Roman Empire".

Is it possible in the future the team add some cities?
    Maybe Thebes,Argos,Nice,Naplese etc...
    The game will be more better or will be a mess?
    What is your opinion?

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast