Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: City Mod

Default Re: City Mod

It worked like a charm.
    Adding italy resource to Kart-Hadast indeed works, but that wouldn't do the AI rome any good if I want to play another faction. So I made that Capua can become a huge city too.
    If this is the only way to get the vanilla marians, maybe you should alter the mod this way.

I still have one question though.
    Quote Originally Posted by DESCR_REGIONS
    Latium2
    legion: Latium2LegionName
    Rome
    seleucid
    Roma_Latium
    52 13 198
    bigport, tradeport, italy, rome, variantro, SW, B, y1, y2, y4, n8, city, large, huge
    I wonder what that "rome" hidden resource does. Any idea? I tried removing it to see if I could trigger the reforms in Rome itself that way. I didn't, but I don't now if that is because this trick doesn't work or if it is because Rome was already huge when I changed this.
    Also, if this resource isn't vital, and if the vanilla reforms are triggered by 1. city with rome resource huge and 2. Huge city with italy resource build by romans, then maybe we could at the rome hidden resource to Kart-Hadast instead of Rome. Unless of course the city with the rome hidden resource has to be owned by the Romans too, in which case the Capua solution is still the only way out.
    Last edited by Mediolanicus; 01-22-2009 at 14:36.

--> - Never near Argos - <--

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

I think the "rome" hidden_resource is one of the resources that if removed will break the game. I don't know why it is in the city of Roma, though. I had thought that all the hardcoded "rome" stuff had been moved to Gotland...

Quote Originally Posted by DESCR_REGIONS
    Latium
    Gawjam_Gotanoz
    germans
    Gotanoz
    70 128 64
    tradeport, navyport, smallfleet, NW, D, n1, y2, n4, n8, city

Latium2
    legion: Latium2LegionName
    Rome
    seleucid
    Roma_Latium
    52 13 198
    bigport, tradeport, italy, rome, variantro, SW, B, y1, y2, y4, n8, city, large, huge
    Well I copied that part from your download. Only Latium has been moved to Gotland.

All I know is that removing "rome" there doesn't cause an immediate CTD, I tested it. I don't know in the long term.

I may test my theory by moving that "rome" resource to Kart-Hadast or Seleukeia if I find the time.

Small problem. I installed the mod, but I'm not sure it works. I've just seen the Gallic Mediolanum turn into Large town within a couple of years(playing as Romans).

Second problem, I can't seem to find characters. Tried give_trait to character, and it alway says, character not found.

Xsaçapāvan é Skudra Member Atraphoenix's Avatar

I am a fan of your Mod, I have two questions:

- As you limit the cities how do you adjust income, namely do you increase the income of the cities, as you know the bigger the more income or we have just the same income as normal city of EB.

-Hekatompylos, Baktria, Patala, Persepolis, Babylon, Seleukeia, Ekbatana, Susa, Alexandreia, Pella, Armavir, Ipsos, these are the cities that I have to make them large city to trigger my mod, but to adapt with your mod I can mod them easily in my files, I just need info that they all can be city at least under Pahlava or A.S., Cannot they?
    I used proconsular palace to be built to trigger my ancillaries, I will change it with governors palace, in my next release, If you can confirm be appreciated.

Atra
    Last edited by Atraphoenix; 02-05-2009 at 23:33.

My Submods for EB
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    My AAR/Guides How to assault cities with Horse Archers? RISE OF ARSACIDS! (A Pahlava AAR) - finished
    History is written by the victor." Winston Churchill

If Mediolanium grew to large_city, then the mod isn't installed correctly. Mediolanium shouldn't grow too big in the latest version of the mod.

I haven't adjusted anything to make small towns as profitable as large town. Small towns that can't grow, just won't be as profitable as towns that can grow.

Anybody can upgrade any town that is upgradable if they get that level of upgrade.

So anyone have any idea on how to upgrade large town holds to minor city roman settlement? I reach pop. 6000 again and no option but stuck with warlord holds. err

Quote Originally Posted by SaberHRE View Post
    Small problem. I installed the mod, but I'm not sure it works. I've just seen the Gallic Mediolanum turn into Large town within a couple of years(playing as Romans).

Second problem, I can't seem to find characters. Tried give_trait to character, and it alway says, character not found.
    I had seen many of gallic and spain towns turn into large towns.

There is no reason that you shouldn't be able to upgrade a barbarian large town to a Roman minor city. I don't know what is causing that.

You could try switching version (b to a), but then the barbarians will upgrade their towns to cities.

Is the Offiical fixes included in this install?

I just tried it with alex.exe. It seem to work fine. Any known problems?
    Last edited by Lovejoy; 03-02-2009 at 18:35.

The only known problem is the vanilla Roman reforms which can easily be solved (look at the top of the page and at the previous page).

The Celtic factions also can't get their second reform when you're playing the "b" version IIRC.

The fixes aren't included. Just install this minimod after installing the fixes.

Yeah, one of the disadvantages of the "b" version is that there are no second celtic reforms. You can change the requirements in the script if you really want them to happen, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mediolanicus View Post
    The only known problem is the vanilla Roman reforms which can easily be solved (look at the top of the page and at the previous page).

The Celtic factions also can't get their second reform when you're playing the "b" version IIRC.
    I canr figure it out. :S I cant find the descr_regions file.. where is it?

EB\data\world\maps\base

Thanks! I guess its not saved-game comp.?

It is! (at least in my campaign... it could be I had to delete map.rwm though)

Is there any way to modify the script in order to be able to build roman highways (as romani) at minor city level?

Clear the battlefield... Member Tarkus's Avatar

Hey Marcus et al.,

I have the City Mod installed, as well as most of the other mods bundled in Lz3's minimod pack. I'm at 219BCE of a Baktrian campaign and have yet to see any of my reformed bodyguard units that I understand should be triggered by the March of Time (right?). I've discovered Rome to have about 16,000 people and Capua about 14,000.

1. To resolve this issue, I take it from reading this thread that I must alter desrc_regions.txt to allow Capua to become huge?
    2. This edit will merely provide the opportunity for Capua to grow, correct? I take it that the edit won't make Capua huge immediately. At the moment Capua's population growth rate is negative, so even if I make this change how can I get the desired outcome?
    2. Any suggestions regarding a more realistic timing of the Baktrian unit reforms, as controlled by revisions in City Mod? I'd like to be reasonably historical here...when did Capua become huge?

Thanks to all for any help you can throw my way!
    I have seen the future and it is very much like the present, only longer -- Kehlog Albran, The Profit

Try adding the "italy" resource to Seleukeia, I think that city is huge. That COULD trigger the MoT immediately.

If not, try the Capua solution and do "add_population Capua 4000" until +24000 pop. and "process_cq Capua" a few turns in a row.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by schlappi View Post
    Is there any way to modify the script in order to be able to build roman highways (as romani) at minor city level?
    In this minimod, you should be able to build all roads at pretty low levels. If you wish to edit it yourself, open up the export_descr_buildings.txt and look for the section on roads. Change the part that says "town", "large_town", "city", "large_city", or "huge_city" to what you would prefer it to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
    Hey Marcus et al.,

I have the City Mod installed, as well as most of the other mods bundled in Lz3's minimod pack. I'm at 219BCE of a Baktrian campaign and have yet to see any of my reformed bodyguard units that I understand should be triggered by the March of Time (right?). I've discovered Rome to have about 16,000 people and Capua about 14,000.

1. To resolve this issue, I take it from reading this thread that I must alter desrc_regions.txt to allow Capua to become huge?
    2. This edit will merely provide the opportunity for Capua to grow, correct? I take it that the edit won't make Capua huge immediately. At the moment Capua's population growth rate is negative, so even if I make this change how can I get the desired outcome?
    2. Any suggestions regarding a more realistic timing of the Baktrian unit reforms, as controlled by revisions in City Mod? I'd like to be reasonably historical here...when did Capua become huge?

Thanks to all for any help you can throw my way!
    The whole issue with the reforms and the delayed units and bodyguards is arbitary as is city size.

If you add the "huge" hidden resource to Capua in the descr_regions then delete the map.rwm (and don't start with the trivial script), Capua will be able to become huge but will not become so automatically. If you do as Mediolanicus suggested, then you should be able to get the population up and activate the reforms.

Clear the battlefield... Member Tarkus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus View Post
    If you add the "huge" hidden resource to Capua in the descr_regions then delete the map.rwm (and don't start with the trivial script), Capua will be able to become huge but will not become so automatically. If you do as Mediolanicus suggested, then you should be able to get the population up and activate the reforms.
    Many thanks, MAA. Could you please be a little more specific about the mechanics of making this work? Specificially -- why would I dispense with starting with the trivial script? How do I do that -- by deleting it from the desktop shortcut? And do I just do this once and then restore the shortcut to its original form?

And Mediolanicus suggested the "process_cq" command. I can do this with the console, but I'm afraid I don't know what that command does...can you help me out with this?

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks again for your help. I really like the mod and definitely want to make it work with the reforms.
    I have seen the future and it is very much like the present, only longer -- Kehlog Albran, The Profit

Quote Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
    Many thanks, MAA. Could you please be a little more specific about the mechanics of making this work? Specificially -- why would I dispense with starting with the trivial script? How do I do that -- by deleting it from the desktop shortcut? And do I just do this once and then restore the shortcut to its original form?

And Mediolanicus suggested the "process_cq" command. I can do this with the console, but I'm afraid I don't know what that command does...can you help me out with this?

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks again for your help. I really like the mod and definitely want to make it work with the reforms.

I can't help you with the trivial script, because I didn't install it (it's helpfull for those who don't know anything about modding, but else it is an absolute pain in the ass).

"process_cq City_Name" is indeed a console command. It completes all the buildings in the construction queue immediately. You can use this cheat on Capua every turn until the AI has decided to build the top tier gov building.

Every time you start the game with the trivial script, it will replace the map.rwm with a stock version of the file. Since you altered map files, you will need to get the game to generate a new map.rwm but it will not if the script replaces it.

You can start the game without the script by simply starting EB using a desktop shortcut. Copy your RTW vanilla shortcut, right-click and choose "Properties", under the "Target" line add this to the end:
    -mod:eb
    This will make the shortcut start EB without the trivial script.

If you want to use the trivial script again, you'll have to copy the newly generated map.rwm over the one used by the trivial script. It should be in a folder called sp_somethingorother.

Which mini-mods is this mod incompatible with?

And is there any indicators that will show me that its downloaded succesfully that i can notice quickly?
    Last edited by Svenn; 05-22-2009 at 16:33.

It matters what files other minimod alter to determine what it is incompatible with. Since many commonly altered files are altered in this minimod, it is not compatible with many minimods.

To know if it is installed, start up the game and click on an unimportant city. Click the building browser. If there is no "Imperial Palace" listed along the top, meaning it cannot be built, then it was installed.

1 Complaint. Why cant Athens be a huge city?????
    What time does not pervert, it destroys outright.
    From this we may conclude that there are no eternal truths, no limitless passions.
    There are only subtle deceptions.

~My brother's new book.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandros_III View Post
    1 Complaint. Why cant Athens be a huge city?????
    Yeah I've noticed that too
    Alcohol is the cause and solution to all of man's issues

Baloonz: by Pharnakles
    by Jebivjetar (es bastante loco)

I used to have it become huge, but it never really increased in population to challenge some of the other huge cities during this time period, so I made it only large in the latest edition. You can change what files do what by altering the files, though you have to delete the map.rwm (if you are using the trivial script, there are extra steps that have been explained prior).

This question may have already been answered, but I did a search and came up with nothing, and I don't feel like looking through all 10 pages, besides, I want to refer to the latest version of this mod so...

I'm playing as the Hellinons and I've had problems with city sizes the entire game and this fixes a lot of these issues, especially with bonuses to population growth with certain buildings being pretty unrealistic, but my questions are:

1) Will this work with a pre-existing game save?
    2) If so, what will happen to the cities that have already surpassed the levels set with this mod? Will the buildings be deleted, and population reduced?
    ---Okay I tried the mod, and it looks like it does change the game around, adding the law bonus for the academy and it started lowering the populations of a few cities which were over the cap. Only problem is, after 2 turns I got a CTD. I don't know if this is due to using it on a previous game save, or if it's because the mod isn't perfected, and does not have the most recent fixes applied to it. So if you could answer that question...

3) Is there a list of every change made with this mod, down to specific cities, buildings per city etc? I believe this would help a lot more than just the generic description you have listed.

6) Most importantly, is this updated with the most recent fixes as of January 2009? Those have fixed a lot of problems with reform markers, and CTDs in Africa, Iberia and other problems in the game.
    ---This I assume is not the case, or the mod causes it's own problems with CTDs. I got one in 2 turns after installing the mod so I reverted back to my backed up files. If you could update the mod with the new fixes, that'd be great.

I really like this mod for how it improves gameplay, but I can't seem to use it without having problems.

Like I said, I'm sure most of these questions have been asked and answered, but for anyone new to this particular mod, and is worried about ruining his/her EB install may like to know the answers without having to search through this entire thread.

Thanks if you have the time to post these. Sorry if this is a lot of work.
    Last edited by thecellarlife; 08-14-2009 at 05:24. Reason: updated question. tried out the mod.

Quote Originally Posted by thecellarlife View Post
    This question may have already been answered, but I did a search and came up with nothing, and I don't feel like looking through all 10 pages, besides, I want to refer to the latest version of this mod so...

I'm playing as the Hellinons and I've had problems with city sizes the entire game and this fixes a lot of these issues, especially with bonuses to population growth with certain buildings being pretty unrealistic, but my questions are:

1) Will this work with a pre-existing game save?
    2) If so, what will happen to the cities that have already surpassed the levels set with this mod? Will the buildings be deleted, and population reduced?
    ---Okay I tried the mod, and it looks like it does change the game around, adding the law bonus for the academy and it started lowering the populations of a few cities which were over the cap. Only problem is, after 2 turns I got a CTD. I don't know if this is due to using it on a previous game save, or if it's because the mod isn't perfected, and does not have the most recent fixes applied to it. So if you could answer that question...

3) Is there a list of every change made with this mod, down to specific cities, buildings per city etc? I believe this would help a lot more than just the generic description you have listed.

6) Most importantly, is this updated with the most recent fixes as of January 2009? Those have fixed a lot of problems with reform markers, and CTDs in Africa, Iberia and other problems in the game.
    ---This I assume is not the case, or the mod causes it's own problems with CTDs. I got one in 2 turns after installing the mod so I reverted back to my backed up files. If you could update the mod with the new fixes, that'd be great.

I really like this mod for how it improves gameplay, but I can't seem to use it without having problems.

Like I said, I'm sure most of these questions have been asked and answered, but for anyone new to this particular mod, and is worried about ruining his/her EB install may like to know the answers without having to search through this entire thread.

Thanks if you have the time to post these. Sorry if this is a lot of work.
    1) Yes, but I assume you may encounter some CTD's. A new campaign is always the safest.
    2) They will stay the way they are.
    3) Take a look at DESCR_REGIONS to see which cities can become large and huge. Apart from that the only changes are some added boni to the buildings you will soon see.
    4)?
    5)?
    6) This mod does not change the EBBS or any other file that has been fixed AFAIK; thus if you have installed the fixes, then your EB+City Mod has the fixes too.

Take simple back ups and always delete map.rwm after the changes and you'll never ruin your install...

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast