Thread: Doctor, can you save my campaign?

Default Doctor, can you save my campaign?

Playing as Romans, summer of 229bc, persistant CTD on Macedonian turn, pinpointed to Mac controlled Gordu-Neujuri in the Neujure province (population 7741, public order 30%, revolting).

*Breath*

Is there anything to be done? I don't want to lose my campaign, I've kind of grown fond to it. I could even pray, if that helps. Just tell me the truth, I can't take this uncertainty...

Here's the save if it's needed: http://rapidshare.com/files/17541849...anner.zip.html

Default Re: Doctor, can you save my campaign?

Hm, hm, hm.. I have two games as epirotes(sp) which CTD at 264 and 262. On the romans turn just when its about to change to the rebels. PLaying with that cohort mod and darths formations..

Have you tried to play that turn without script activated? Otherwise you could cheat:
    <add_population><space><"><settlement_name><"><space><value>

Which would result in:

add_population "Gordu-Neujuri" -7000

Or something like it (as you see you may enter negative values there, and as for the actual size of value: it's a matter of trial and error and you'll see what value works best). Reducing the population size should increase the Mak garisson impact on public order, which in turn should prevent the province from rebelling. Hope this helps, if nothing else does.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Yeah, the add_population works, though it's not a very lasting solution. I would actually like to see that settlement rebel from Macs, but you can't have everything at once...

Thanks Tellos Athenaios, a shrine is to be built to you.

PS: Are there any other console commands that might help in the future? Is there a list of them somewhere?

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thaatu
    PS: Are there any other console commands that might help in the future? Is there a list of them somewhere?
    There was a whole thread, in the main EB area, about a month or two ago.

Is this the same rebellion bug?
    If so, I'll remake that fix again, after the quickfix.
    Or maybe the team will make a workaround themselves...

Now sporting a classic avatar! Member fallen851's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    There was a whole thread, in the main EB area, about a month or two ago.

Is this the same rebellion bug?
    If so, I'll remake that fix again, after the quickfix.
    Or maybe the team will make a workaround themselves...
    There is a quickfix coming? How soon?
    "It's true that when it's looked at isolated, Rome II is a good game... but every time I sit down to play it, every battle, through every turn, I see how Rome I was better. Not unanimously, but ultimately." - Dr. Sane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6eaBtzqqFA#t=1h15m33s

Now, how can anyone answer that question? Give a date, miss it and get jumped at. Not give a date or say soon and people think you are missleading them.

I must ask for patience. We need to find out exactly what needs immediate fixing, and work on it.

You like EB? Buy CA games.

I see... why is setting a date and hitting it impossible for the EB team? That would be the obivous answer.

Why can't that happened, and if you miss something, just go ahead and set another date then create another fix...

Also, by saying "quickfix" that basically means it will be "quick", meaning it will come out "soon", so you've aleady damned yourself using your own logic, and provided me with an answer "quickly". Oh well. Of course me asking how quick, well that is just too demanding (first line of this post).

I don't expect anyone to answer these questions with coherent statements, so please, don't answer them.
    Last edited by fallen851; 02-22-2007 at 02:04.
    "It's true that when it's looked at isolated, Rome II is a good game... but every time I sit down to play it, every battle, through every turn, I see how Rome I was better. Not unanimously, but ultimately." - Dr. Sane

Quote Originally Posted by fallen851
    I see... why is setting a date and hitting it impossible for the EB team?

Why can't that happened, and if you miss something, just go ahead and set another date then create another fix...
    The entire team suffer from the inability to form release dates, its a terrible affliction and we do wish that you would stop commenting on it. Everyone is aware of our disability yet you keep wishing to bring it up, to harm us, to remind us of the problems that beset us. Perhaps you could join the team and help us co-ordinate our release dates as we obviously cannot. If you do not wish to help us with this situation then please, for the sake of ourselves, for the sake of our families, stop torturing us - its hurting us! (nah, not really)

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

EB insanity coordinator Senior Member khelvan's Avatar

No mod team ever sets a date and meets it, period. That would require team members who place modding over real jobs and real lives. Modding is by its very nature subservient to other factors, and thus any date any team sets is going to be missed, because no one knows what will happen in their daily lives to affect the modding, much less the work itself.

Dates for software development are hard enough to reach when you are paying your developers $70K/year for their work - I know from experience. I hardly think it is realistic to expect that of a team of part-time volunteers who are expected to spend only the time they have on hand on modding, if they feel like it that day. Creating realistic dates requires realistic knowledge of timeframes, and we will never have that without firm time committments.

Thus, setting a date is knowingly setting us up for failure. Or any mod team. We would rather not set any expectations at all, than to set some that we know we likely won't meet due to any number of different factors. This is common in modding - I have never seen a mod team set dates and meet them. Any that do set dates quickly learn not to do so. I challenge anyone to find a mod team that does so.

You know, if you dropped the acidic tone and attitude, you would likely be a reasonably worthwhile contributor to this forum. I don't understand why you continue to post if you cannot say anything nicely.
    Cogita tute

Seriously Khevlan, I want things to change too. I want people to be nice.

But I say "There is a quickfix coming? How soon?"

And then I get fired upon: "Now, how can anyone answer that question?" Don't tell me that is a neutral tone, because it isn't. It was asked in a rhetorical form as if my question was truly unanswerable and just plain dumb, then preceeded by a "now", as if I should have known it...

I didn't start this one. You guys are no better than me, so talk to your members about not being "acidic" if you decide to talk to me. If anyone else had said what I had, I don't think this would have happened, so stop going after me.
    Last edited by fallen851; 02-22-2007 at 04:32.

I will not have this outrage in MY thread! I hereby rule that every post here from now on must have a smilie in it. I don't care how old or mature you are.

Now let's have a big hug

Edit: Oh, and this is probably the thread MarcusAureliusAntoninus meant if anyone else is interested: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...nsole+commands
    Last edited by Thaatu; 02-22-2007 at 09:42.

I can't promise you your campaign will be saved, but I'll use your savegame to see if I can pinpoint any cause for it. Thanks for the CTD report and savegame. Oh, and .

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

I will not have this outrage in MY thread! I hereby rule that every post here from now on must have a smilie in it. I don't care how old or mature you are.

I'll give it a try as well.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Found something already, though whether it's the source of the CTD is at least debatable:

EDIT: I almost forgot.
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 02-23-2007 at 03:23.
    - Tellos Athenaios

EB insanity coordinator Senior Member khelvan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fallen851
    I didn't start this one. You guys are no better than me, so talk to your members about not being "acidic" if you decide to talk to me. If anyone else had said what I had, I don't think this would have happened, so stop going after me.
    Reread what keravnos wrote. It really wasn't acidic, as far as I can tell. Especially compared to how I have reacted to the same questions about releases in the past (which should not be held up as examples of how to do it right, but as examples of how you are not being singled out).

This shouldn't go any further, let's all be happy. My reply was to the point and I hope explained the concerns you have.
    Cogita tute

Quote Originally Posted by khelvan
    Reread what keravnos wrote. It really wasn't acidic, as far as I can tell. Especially compared to how I have reacted to the same questions about releases in the past (which should not be held up as examples of how to do it right, but as examples of how you are not being singled out).

This shouldn't go any further, let's all be happy. My reply was to the point and I hope explained the concerns you have.
    I didn't really have any concerns because I knew the reaction of what I wrote would be. I asked for no answers, because there really wasn't any to begin with. His post was a waste of words, and so mine was.

I don't think you listened to what I said his, "tone" was offensive, he didn't have to respond like that. If I wrote what he had written I would have been accused of being "arrogant" or some such non-sense. But of course, this has been my problem all a long, and the EB team does not listen.

Oh well.

- Tellos Athenaios

Fallen, you must understand that setting timetables for bugfixes is something that can't be done accurately. First you have to find the bug, only then you can fix it. After all I can't say how long it will take to find my lost keys.

As for the attitude of the EB team towards you... First your attitude has to change, only then you expect change from the teams part. You have compared them to a certain fascist regime a couple of times, so they might have some expectations. You are probably a nice person and all, but you tend to get a little too emotional sometimes, especially when you feel like you're being attacked. I hope there's nothing insulting in this post, but if there is I apologise. Just keep an open mind and a happy tone and people will react to you in the same way.

On notice:
    Khelvan, where's your smilie? I can't seem to find it... Listen to me. You may think you're a big shot, but this is MY realm. At least until someone locks/deletes it (please don't, PLEASE).

Tellos Athenaios, you have a smilie alright, but I'm afraid that last one doesn't count. I mean it's almost sad, if you take it out of context. One more time and I'll... do something, maybe.

Tellos Athenaios, you have a smilie alright, but I'm afraid that last one doesn't count. I mean it's almost sad, if you take it out of context. One more time and I'll... do something, maybe.
    Yep I know, I was just a bit confused reading those off topic posts. I couldn't find fault with expressing my opinion that way, but of course here you're the king or so, I suppose.

I sincerely apologize...
    - Tellos Athenaios

EB full 0.8.1 makes no difference to the CTD... One possibility ruled out.
    - Tellos Athenaios

Marcus has previously posted a fix to the rebelling city problem for 0.8, so I tried the similar on 0.81. It works. But it comes with an undesirable effect, the ability to produce a basic unit in every city regardless of lacking a MIC structure. Here's the sort-of-fix. I'll bring up the issue in the developer forum so we can decide on a better longterm solution.

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

EBII Council Senior Member Kull's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios
    EB full 0.8.1 makes no difference to the CTD... One possibility ruled out.
    That is not exactly true. Although I am EXTREMELY disappointed to see this nasty critter rear it's head once more, the fact is the Rebelling City CTD was very common in v.80, and is much less so in v.81.

Which suggests that our solution is on the right track, but might be missing a few elements. FWIW, this is not a matter of changing a line of code or fixing a unit. Rather, there's a series of things which have to blend together seamlessly - and it looks like we missed a few seams.
    "Numidia Delenda Est!"

Is the recruitment CTD settlement based? I have had two CTD's in 0.81 which I determined were caused by rebellion. The first one was when Gava-Mazskata rebelled from Saka Rauka. That one passed after the fourth try with the town switching to Parthia. So I'm thinking maybe the game tried to spawn a group of units there, and for the first three times it randomly spawned a unit which didn't belong there, but on the fourth try, by luck of the draw, it didn't spawn the conflicting unit.

Wow, that was really badly put. I hope you get the idea. The second one was this Gordu-Neujuri incident, which just wouldn't pass until the, uhhm.. migration. So those two cities would be worth checking out. But the CTDs seem to be very rare, so it's not that big of a deal. Add_population is a good temporary medicine.

Edit:
    Just realized that I had never deleted the 0.8 map.rwm. So I deleted it, just as a test, and I have the bugged "Baktrian paper province" in Belgium. My CTDs were probably because of the old map.rwm, I hope. What does the file change? Should I start a new campaign in order for some new stuff to kick in or can I continue the game?
    Last edited by Thaatu; 02-24-2007 at 14:16.

You *can* continue your campaign, but it is likely screwed. At least your savegame is "tainted", so you should not report any more CTD bugs before you start a new campaign with the up-to-date map.rwm.

I've started a new campaign and cheated to get the Gordu settlement at the first turn, added population and proceeded to wait for rebellion. It rebelled nicely three times in a row (I retook the settlement in between of course), then I made a small change to the EDB file to experiment and CTD hell broke loose the next time it rebelled. When I reloaded the savegame after the first of the rebellions, the next one CTD'd. Even when I had changed EDB back to what it was originally! So it's pretty fickle...

================
    ================

Hmm... I just wonder how much it affects the campaign and in which areas. I'll continue my tainted game, but will keep all the pink elephants and flying monkeys to myself. I just hope I'm not missing on some new stuff...

Oh, and thanks for not ripping my head off and feeding it to pigs after I gave all you scripters a heart attack.