Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd Legion - Roma's Bulls

Default Re: 3rd Legion - Roma's Bulls

For shame, CA! What kind of message are you sending those barbarian, rebelling filth if you just leave when they make a bit of noise? Rome hath more honor than that man. Iupiter demands it!

I'd go back. You cant let the barbarian heathen get away with killing Scipio. You'll probably take them at some point in the future, why not sooner?

Kushan
    EB Team Member

Rise of Kings: v2.0 Beta 3 Now Available

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

I suppose so... Perhaps this is a call for a consul!
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Wise and Partially Handsome Member Jarardo's Avatar

Nice read CA, thanks
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein

www.EuropaBarbarorum.com

My pleasure Jarardo
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

CountArach, the Iberians mock you. Your soldiers lie dead, while the barbarians are ploting the destruction of civilization and ROMA.

Clearly you cannot return to Roma in defeat. If you do retrain and re equip.

How ya gonna let this stand? go back and annihalate that town, Roma did it in history, so it should prove effective. In fact, when you conquer it back ( if it rebels) crank up the taxes on whats left of the populace.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Yeah, if that had happened to me, I would have abandoned the town, let it rebel, and then retake and exterminate it.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    Yeah, if that had happened to me, I would have abandoned the town, let it rebel, and then retake and exterminate it.
    Except I have no general there, so my legion really can't do anything (An unwritten rule of mine).

Yeah, it's awesome the way CA did it. It's more epic. A big loss like that, such a turn of events. A key character getting assasinated overseas, legion abandons settlement without leader, returns to Rome, regroup, attack. It's genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderland
    Yeah, it's awesome the way CA did it. It's more epic. A big loss like that, such a turn of events. A key character getting assasinated overseas, legion abandons settlement without leader, returns to Rome, regroup, attack. It's genius.
    Wow! i'm popular

Gonna go play the next chapter out now

Chapter 9 – Homeward Bounds
    252BCE – Spring – The consulship of Marcvs Aemilivs Pavllvs and Avlvs Atilivs Calatinvs

My Dearest Father,

As I told you last letter, though it probably hasn’t reached you when I am writing this, we were forced to evacuate Iberia, due to the assassination of Scipio Africanvs. We were preparing to march onto our boats, yet it turns out that our work there was not done.

We were approached by an enemy force consisting mainly of the elite enemy soldiers left in Iberia. We had no idea where they had come, yet we then received word that Mastia had revolted back to Carthaginian hands. They had welcomed in a large garrison, of which these men were just a part.

The tribunes ordered the men to withdraw. Most of our army comprised of men who were only trained for garrison duty, and were not allowed to fight in battles for this reason. Our legion was badly battered, comprising about half the men we were sent over here with. So we withdrew.

They caught up to us anyway.

We were forced to do battle on the sea side. The view was marvellous; however we had no time for such pleasures. We had a hard job to do today.

The tribunes formed us up into our standard battle line, though we were so battered that we took up only half the space. The cavalry were the only section of the army close to untouched.

We awaited our foe, advancing a short way to reach slightly more favourable ground. We did not have to wait long. A section of the Libyan Spearmen charged into my maniple and that of the Samnite’s.

This fight was always going to be a hard one, and I received several small wounds in the service of my homeland. I know that Rome appreciates the blood I bleed for her.

Eventually we killed all the Libyans in our immediate vicinity, leaving the others to the Samnites, yet the Hastati were still facing stiff competition from their foes. I wheeled the maniples around and we charged into the rear of more of the Libyans.

The fighting here was also brutal, with no quarter given or taken. Even with my men and the Hastati, we were outnumbered. Yet we had the hatred we felt from the assassination of Scipio on our side.

Eventually the ferocity we possessed, as well as fresh Rorarii reserves, overcame their superior numbers, and they broke and ran.

To my flank though, I saw the Samnites and the Triarii under horrible stress. In addition to the Libyans, they were under assault from some of the Iberian Heavy Infantry. I ordered my men to wheel, as well as taking charge of the Rorarii, and we both charged into the rear of the Iberians.

Surprisingly, even with our enemy surrounded and tiring fast, I could feel the fight slipping from our hands.

Then the Equites arrived.

The Equites closed the trap and gave the enemy nowhere to run to, as well as killing whole swathes of the enemy. The two Tribunes who were with them were leading the fight, hacking and slashing to both sides.

Eventually though, the Equites too started taking casualties. However, by then the fight was over. The Iberians were forced to fight back-to-back, awaiting the death by our swords.

The battle was over with their demise.

I was later told that the Levies and the other Samnites had been fighting more of these Iberians. They had fought well, but never had a chance of winning. The Iberians had turned to surround us, and crisis was only averted by our garrison troops. They swarmed forward and charged the Iberians, determined to sell their lives for their country.

There was no need, the Iberians fled before their numbers.

So the battle was a success, yet again we were forced to bleed for a pointless battle, defending land we no longer had control over.

I am starting to hate the army father. I need glory, yet it is only presenting me with wasted life.

Your loving son,
    Spvrivs Cordivs

Well, I mean they're just asking for it now. Trying to add insult to injury, to ROME no less! If there were any doubts about going back and exacting harsh revenge, they've surely been erased now. Lets just hope Spvrivs and the boys can get out of there and make it home in one piece until then.

Now for the long trip back across the med. Watch out for Carthaginian fleets?

Kushan
    EB Team Member

Cool,cool

But the hard way (I tried and you have to be some general to pull this off) is to only have the hastati engage. Then when they're tired you let the princapes forward and so on. And have them on defensive stance. Much more difficult, if you tried it like that the 3rd legion would have been destroyed.

But still great AAR!

Just your average Senior Member Warmaster Horus's Avatar
    Besancon, France: a stepping stone to greatness. I hope.

Great! Cool! Super! What else is there to say?
    I suppose it would be possible to have Spvrivs be promoted to General; you'd have to modify script.txt if you want. But I don't think it would be such a good idea. He'd be at a bigger risk that way(assassination).
    Trivial question I'm sure but: how old is he? (this is nit-picking of course but by the way you've done things, this might be important.)
    Keep it up! Great pics, perhaps you could show a larger view of the world map (carthaginian holdings, roman lands etc...)
    The Throne Room: "Less a forum, more a way of life." Econ21
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Join the latest greatest installement of mafia games: Capo di Tutti Capi!
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

I spose he could of played out the campaign earlier till he had a general pop up for adoption and then start the aar...

If it's actually possible to make Spvrivs a general through the script, that would awesome. I doubt it is though. Anyhoo, I wonder if they'll be traveling through hostile lands to get back to Rome, or through hostile waters. Neither prospect seems very good to me. Curious to see if ol' Spvr gets sunk or ambushed along the way.

Retreating along a land path would be an awsome story. Sort of like Hannibal crossing the alps.

Well, I mean they're just asking for it now. Trying to add insult to injury, to ROME no less! If there were any doubts about going back and exacting harsh revenge, they've surely been erased now. Lets just hope Spvrivs and the boys can get out of there and make it home in one piece until then.
    You will have to see I guess.

Now for the long trip back across the med. Watch out for Carthaginian fleets?

Kushan
    They are everywhere, mainly loading more troops into Sardinia! AGAIN! I have the first legion stationed there ATM.

But the hard way (I tried and you have to be some general to pull this off) is to only have the hastati engage. Then when they're tired you let the princapes forward and so on. And have them on defensive stance. Much more difficult, if you tried it like that the 3rd legion would have been destroyed.
    The way the game engine works this is not possible. They do not stop when engaging Hastati, and the hastati can only take up a small section of teh line. If I could take 15 maniplesof Hastatia nd Principes, I would do this. I try to do so every game I play, but I just can't. I do use Stand Ground, but again with the game system it just doesn't work well when charging, so I take it off then.

I suppose it would be possible to have Spvrivs be promoted to General; you'd have to modify script.txt if you want. But I don't think it would be such a good idea. He'd be at a bigger risk that way(assassination).
    Hmmm, wouldn't really work with the realism script, also he is being discharged from service in 7ish years.

Trivial question I'm sure but: how old is he? (this is nit-picking of course but by the way you've done things, this might be important.)
    Keep it up! Great pics, perhaps you could show a larger view of the world map (carthaginian holdings, roman lands etc...)
    He started military service in 272BC. The First Legion (His original assignment) was destroyed at Taras in 270BC. He started in the Third Legion in 262BC and will be discharged in 246BC. He started service at age 20, was discharged for the first time at 22, was enlisted again at age 30 so will be 46 at discharge. He is currently 39 I think.

Dont forget, his dad cant live for as long as he can. Too bad, I feel sorry for his dad already.

Yeah the Dad may die, I haven't decided yet...

So are you going to continue the story of the 3rd after he is discharged? Even disbanding, and raising a new legion to replace it, what would prevent it from being the 3rd legion?

As far as what do to next, you could always just go strait for Carthage itself? Go for the throat.

Kushan
    Last edited by Kushan; 03-09-2007 at 03:31.
    EB Team Member

As I said in the rules, after these guys are disbanded, there will be another 3rd Legion to take their place. Lets see if their record is going to be as sterling as these guys.

And I want more than 1 Punic War.

Chapter 10 - The Last Great Deeds
    252 – Spring to 247 – Winter - The Consulship of Lvcivs Caecilivs Metellvs, Nvmerivs Fabivs Bvteo

Dearest Sister,

Though your grief must still be great from our father’s passing away, I never-the-less must continue the catalogue of my experiences that I had sent to father over these last years.

Well as you know we returned to Roma in the spring of 251, and were reinforced. Father passed away in that time during his sleep, as you remember, and I was able to spend his last days with him. I was at his bedside, with you dear sister. Take solace in the fact that he was an old man; grieved by the death of my Mother all those years ago, and that he died peacefully after remarrying and giving birth to you, the ray of sunshine in his life.

I remember learning that Karali ad revolted and declared its independence. Fortunately the fourth Legion was on the island to help keep things under control.

We departed Roma in the autumn of that year, together with the first legion and our new commander, the Proconsul Lvcivs Cornelivs Scipio. We were ready to exact revenge on the Carthaginians, even if it meant our own demise.

After departing, we landed in the winter of 250 off the coast of Mastia, and immediately took up the siege.

However, the garrison of Mastia was so pathetic that it wasn’t even worth having both legions there. Cornelivs Scipio ordered the third legion to depart that fight and to board the ships again. We were off to besiege Gader. The first legion was kept under the control of an able Military Tribune, Tiberivs Sabvcivs Caepio.

We sailed and arrived there in the summer. We immediately took up the siege, and tried to goad the local enemy army into battle.

Yet, it was not to be. They were commanded by an inept captain, their best general and head Sophet (Roughly their equivalent of a consul from what I can tell) being in Gader itself. We continued the siege for almost two more years, until finally Cornelivs Scipio had had enough. He ordered us to assault.

Our plan was similar to that of our other sieges. Except that this time, we were to spearhead the attack. Our spears would act as a strong deterrent to the enemy cavalry. The Hastati were to follow us, and the rest of the army was to do their best to take out the support soldiers. The Triarii were to act as reserves to assist us if things went wrong.

So we pushed our ram up to the gate, and I ordered it swung.

And swung, and swung, until finally it smashed open.

We marched up the main street, the Acensii taking up position in front of us. They let loose their pellets, and attracted the attention of the enemy general’s cavalry. They charged down the street, killing some of the slower Acensii.

Then they collided with us.

It was terrifying. There was a wall to my left, a mass of my men to my right, and enemies arrayed out in front of me. As they collided there was the sound of several bones snapping next to me, as the man had braced too much with his shield. He dropped it and held his left arm. Unfortunately for him, no quarter was given by the enemy.

Eventually the momentum of their charge stopped, yet they just kept pressing forward. They started to push our formation back down the street, slowly by inexorably.

Eventually we were pushed back to the Hastati, and they were forced to engage as well.

I fought shoulder-to-shoulder with the chief Centurion of the Hastati, Svlpicivs Verro. We took down many of the enemy, and slowly made our way along the line, cheering our men onward, pushing back against the Cavalry.

That is, until Verro was struck down. One of the enemies struck his sword, knocking it clean out of his hand, whilst another enemy struck high, taking advantage of his stunned state.

He never stood a chance.

Yet eventually we slowly ground our enemy down and our weight of numbers carried the day. They fled and we started to loot the city. Killing anyone that we saw, no quarter was given, not even to the women and children. I know that you will find this barbaric of me, but sister, try to understand that I was angry; I had seen too many friends die, friends and countrymen, to not be angry.

We slaughtered them all.

Word later arrived that the First legion had succeeded in their siege of Mastia and had captured that as well. There were no more Carthaginian held settlements on Iberia.

Shortly after this fight, word arrived that the Senate had made peace with Carthage! I had done it! I had survived the Punic War!

Now sister, once we are no longer needed to garrison this forsaken land, I shall return home and take up my role as the Paterfamilias. Fear not, I shall be with you soon and shall find you a good husband.

Your loving brother,
    Spvrivs Cordivs
    Last edited by CountArach; 03-11-2007 at 02:56.

How did he know there was going to be another Punic War? Seems like your getting a bit ahead of yourself. But as always a good read.

Kushan
    EB Team Member

Yeah.. you are probably right...

*Edits*

Geyeah! My predictions came true about his father passing away made it to the story!

Wait... I shouldnt be happy that his father gone...

How hard was it to get a ceasefire?

Well I had been trying for several years before this invasion, and the invasion is partly a response to that. However, they came offering peace to me when I was in Iberia. I refused and after the conquest just went back and offered that and trade rights to them, and they accepted.

Where is my custom avatar? Member Lord Gruffles's Avatar

That was a fun read, CA. Bravo!

~Gruffles

AH! shouldnt somebody post that a way to get ceasefire is by suddelny striking and quickly taking over provinces?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast