Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LIBERTY OR DEATH (1821 mod)

The Philosopher Duke Member Suraknar's Avatar

Default Re: LIBERTY OR DEATH (1821 mod)

Oki, this is not going to be very easy, althought, it will be easyer to model.

have spent several hours since my last post looking for documentation on Units of the period for Serbia, Bulgaria and Romania.

I have found extensive Units for Serbia (see bellow for pics)

The Bulgarian units look much like the Southern Vlachs and Clephts of Greece, the "Fustanela" is common to all, what differs is various decorations on the belts and the Footwear. While Greec use the "Tsarouhi", the Bulgars and Vlachs tend to use Boots.

Rex! That second Picture there with the Vlach-Moldavian is Excelent!! :)

Northern Wallachian-Moldavian have a mixture of influences comming from Hungarian Uniforms and Southern Wallachian, aswell as a bit of Russian at times.

Also Bulgarians tend to shift from 1876 onwards towards a more Russian(Slavic) Uniform design.

Now Some Serbian Pictures:

Becar, 1806-08

Serbian Officer 1808

Infantry Regular 1909

Infantry Regular 1909(winter uniform)

Infantry Officer1909

Infantry Regular 1909 (Summer Uniform)

Serbian Guard 1909

Captain Ilija Novokresceni, 1809 <---Note names for Serbian Faction

Serbian Frey-Bataillon (Srpski frajkor), 1813

Sergeant and soldier in Pozarevac, Serbia, 1829

Kozak of Prince Milos, 1835

Cavalry (husar), 1837

I thought to stop at 1937, this gives a good basis of Serbian units, for starters and more advanced.
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"
    Traveled to: Over 70 Countries, most recent: and

~ Ask not what modding can do for you, rather ask what you can do for modding ~
    ~ Everyone dies, not everyone really fights ~

Inca Total War Member Member Filibustería's Avatar

there should be a great difference (i think, im dont know about serbia) between 1823 units and 1909 units

Yes well there is.

The Serbian is a bit mixed, but reading though history it is because they did not have an all across the board type of uniform, this is very specific to region and battalions.

While some batallions had a more "western" look, others had a more Local or Eastern look.

The dates and all come from a nice Document that I found here:

http://oea.serbian-church.net/cultur..._Uniforms/#one

The source seems pretty solid.

The problem we are going to have is make some choices, because, these all were revolting nations under the Ottoman Empire, they did NOT have established armies prior to revolting so starting them with Full blown Uniformed Units is not accurate. And some of the factions actually got full independence and started making their own armies and uniforms past 1850.

So in the begining most traditional units have to be used that will most probably will look lots alike to one another (Can be same model with variations on textures), later on we can introduce more "Regular" units of each faction either as part of the evolution of buildings and settlements and also with hidden resources and events.

So I am continuing research to now include Civilian custumes and dresses, as the rebelling units can be based on that.

More to come soon.
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"

Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar
    Yes well there is.

The problem we are going to have is make some choices, because, these all were revolting nations under the Ottoman Empire, they did NOT have established armies prior to revolting so starting them with Full blown Uniformed Units is not accurate. And some of the factions actually got full independence and started making their own armies and uniforms past 1850.

So in the begining most traditional units have to be used that will most probably will look lots alike to one another (Can be same model with variations on textures), later on we can introduce more "Regular" units of each faction either as part of the evolution of buildings and settlements and also with hidden resources and events.

So I am continuing research to now include Civilian custumes and dresses, as the rebelling units can be based on that.

More to come soon.
    Yes i figured it as such.We can start with irregular soldiers and take it up to 1900 with uniforms. And the uniform change will be the result of evolved buildings. But not much later than 1900 please because that will spoil the feeling of the game. I will search for greek soldiers from 1800 to 1900. Suraknar you do that for the serbs and the bulgars. In that case though we can change ali pasha for hungary maybe? Waiting feedback on this. Oh and arbaces promised to help with scripting and knows how to model.

By the way if we go through with this plan we will need a whole bunch of units. I can model but we will need GOOD (and i mean really good) skinners.

oh and another thing. I asked the moderators to make this mod a sticky mod along with other developing mods. Some other mods have gone stickied and they havent advanced much yet. Why our mod should not its own a thread? (just wondering)

Quote Originally Posted by meliritos
    oh and another thing. I asked the moderators to make this mod a sticky mod along with other developing mods. Some other mods have gone stickied and they havent advanced much yet. Why our mod should not its own a thread? (just wondering)

Maybe mistake, oversight...or maybe they know something that we dont?

In any case, would be nice to know :)

BTW, who is working on the in game map? I could take a crack at it if none else is.
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"

Marcus Arbaces Alexandros Member Arbaces's Avatar

Nice stuff Suraknar!! After all, who handles the mapping..? A showcase of the team would be great so we know who we work with, a forum... You know better what you have in mind, the first week looks to have begun good.

Arbaces.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbaces
    Nice stuff Suraknar!! After all, who handles the mapping..? A showcase of the team would be great so we know who we work with, a forum... You know better what you have in mind, the first week looks to have begun good.

Arbaces.
    rex has made a map, but he doesnt know how to implement it. Can you help him with that?

ok I will do the modeling
    rex has started the map
    suraknar has searched for references
    arbaces with the scripting

we need skinners
    i can try the unit cards, the factions symbols, the loading screens (as to the artistc aspect, someone has to implement them in the game)

thats the plan but you can help to whatever you like. What can you help in?

Marcus Arbaces Alexandros Member Arbaces's Avatar

you mean you can model but you can't handle skinning or you just need some extras to create alternate versions and such.

here is my proposal of cartography which I sent to rex, in this way Moldova can also be included, nothing unrealistic as north is still north just a little bit of deforming which could be rather a cool feature of the map... RTR defroms map, I deform map , in the vanilla the map was deformed so it will be ok if we adapt it a little too.

a nice beginning would be in my view that, me and Rex handle the map, and overall gameplay (coding, scripting whatever you like to call it), while you handle the units, models and I hope skinning too, otherwise I will help you with it as well. But it's going to take a few years, I hope you are aware of this, the most important thing at the beginning is to create the project properly:

Is not just about unit cards, faction symbols, loading screens, it's about general graphics, which may include advertising banners , logo and character portraits. It's not about scripting is about general gameplay which includes the way the map is done , the new thing which the mod would definately need to bring, the gunpowder effects, new traits, etc. Hope this helps.

Arbaces

i know all that. we will need somebody to make new animations,and all that you have underlined. I can handle modelling, but i shuck at photoshop so we will need some people to do the skinning job. I can help at that. surely we need more people...

but as far as modelling is concerned i can handle (i believe) almost anything

you and rex can handle the gameplay together but always in communication with suraknar and me. It would be nice if we had in the team someone who can play around with photoshop (but reaaaally play around). Any ideas?

I can play around with Photoshop :)

So I will help you make he skinns, if time permits and need arises also modeling & animations, but for now lets start with photoshop :)
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"

I can play around with Photoshop :)

So I will help you make he skinns, if time permits and need arises also modeling & animations, but for now lets start with photoshop :)
    aaaalright. Arbaces will prepare us a forum, as it seems we cant have one here, by monday i believe we will have it. As to music is concerned, because we had a discussion with rex, he and i will find some music and you can also do that, and later check what will be best and decide. I say folk music, rex wants classical. search some music over the weekend if you like and we'll talk about that next week

aaaalright. Arbaces will prepare us a forum, as it seems we cant have one here, by monday i believe we will have it. As to music is concerned, because we had a discussion with rex, he and i will find some music and you can also do that, and later check what will be best and decide. I say folk music, rex wants classical. search some music over the weekend if you like and we'll talk about that next week
    Well, thus far we are gathering info and discussing, I am sure that when actual work on this mod, models units will start comming, that we will then reach a point where we could be awarded a sub-forum, think about it, if the moderators of this forum made sub-forums for everyone that just announced a mod, there would be hundresds of sub-forums :P
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"

Well, thus far we are gathering info and discussing, I am sure that when actual work on this mod, models units will start comming, that we will then reach a point where we could be awarded a sub-forum, think about it, if the moderators of this forum made sub-forums for everyone that just announced a mod, there would be hundresds of sub-forums :P
    i guess you are right. Sorry moderators. I could start modeling but i need the references. I have found some for the ottoman empire but they stop at the late 16th century.

I have found some for the ottoman empire but they stop at the late 16th century.
    What about the ones I sent you?

They ARE 1820's

Fili sorry the last few days have been a mess. Where exactly did you send them?
    Last edited by meliritos; 03-21-2007 at 08:36.

I PMed them to you

are you sure man because i havent received anything. Can you PM them again?

what i meant was that long ago i sent you a pm with a link to a web page where a guy had designed an 1820's ottoman army for a tabletop wargame. Don't you remember?

anyway, here are they again:

http://www.theonetree-miniatures.co.uk/index.html
    Last edited by Filibustería; 03-22-2007 at 21:51.

ah yes i remember that sorry. But the think is that these references should be suplementary, not the ones i will have to rely on because the size of the photos was too small .

but its the unit list not the unit look what you need right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Filibustería
    but its the unit list not the unit look what you need right now.
    i propably need them both. Anyway, thanks man

No problem. Anyway, ive always been a fan of the ottoman empire and the napoleonic era.

Then maybe you can do some research for us?

I can try. What do you need?

Quote Originally Posted by Filibustería
    I can try. What do you need?
    Everything. A nice job, a beatiful wife, a hot mistress, three children, money (lots of it) and of course world peace. But for now i will settle with reference for the Ottomans, ok?

LOL,

I shall go at it as well then :) Lets combine efforts.
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"

Last edited by Filibustería; 03-30-2007 at 03:14.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast