Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Duchy of Franconia

Tiberius/Fred/Mark/Isaak Member flyd's Avatar

Default Re: Duchy of Franconia

This is a sad day. There should be a period of mourning. It is hardly an appropriate time to descend into squabbling and bickering, if that is indeed the direction in which things will head.
    Βασιλεοπατωρ Ισαακιος Κομνηνος
    Basileopator Isaakios Komnenos

(Save Elberhard)

Fellow nobles of Franconia,

Franconia has gotten bigger, but is still surrounded by enemies on all sides. The Household Army has for a long time been far in the east, and is incapable of responding quickly in the west. Obviously, two armies are now needed to defend Franconia. However, the current law only allows for one Franconian army. This situation leaves the entire western part of Franconia to be defended at the discretion of the Chancellor. The previous Chancellors, namely Leopold and von Kassel, have done a good job in providing the resources needed to repel incursions of the English, the Poles, as well as internal insurrections. However, the defense of Franconia is far too important a matter to be left entirely in Imperial hands. To deal with this, I propose that we propose the following Charter Amendment at the next Diet session. Discussion and suggestions are welcome, and if the final version receives two seconders from within our house, it can be proposed as a House Edict.

Charter Amendment: Each Duke may designate a Second Household Army during a Diet session. The military formation that can be designated as a Second Household Army is subject to the following conditions:

1. The formation must be within the territory of the Duchy.
    2. The formation must be commanded by an Army Commander belonging to the Duchy.
    3. The formation must be at least 6 regiments in strength at the time of designation.

Commanders may be loaned between houses for the purposes of Condition 2. The designation of a Second Household Army is valid as long as the Army continues to meet all three conditions, or until a different formation is designated by the Duke. The Second Household Army is commanded in the same way as the First Household Army; it is subject to Clauses 1-4 of Charter Amendment 5.1, which are quoted below. However, the Chancellor has no obligation to maintain the Second Army at any minimum strength.

The command of the Second Household Army is governed by the following clauses (from CA 5.1):

1) The Household Army may not be removed from the House’s provinces without the permission of the Duke.
    2) The Duke will determine where the Household Army is to be garrisoned. This location can be changed at any time, so long as the Duke informs the Chancellor of the move. The Chancellor will not remove the Household Army from the garrison without the Duke’s permission, except as required to fulfill Clause 4.
    3) The Duke will determine who commands the Household Army.
    4) At the beginning of each Diet session the Duke may assign general orders to the Household Army, which are to be carried out by the Chancellor. Between Diet sessions, any additional orders submitted by Dukes are to be implemented only at the Chancellor's discretion. The Duke may select one of the following Orders: (1) attack any rebel force in House territory, (2) attack any hostile force in House territory, including other factions, (3) attack any foreign or rebel army in House territory, including neutral (but not allied or crusading) factions, (4) temporary assignment to another House, (5) assignment to offensive duties. If Order (4) is chosen, the Duke may determine the time limit of the temporary assignment and the commanding general, but all other decisions are made by the Duke of the receiving house. When the time limit expires, the Household Army must be immediately returned to House lands, no matter what other circumstances occur, unless the Duke agrees otherwise. If Order (5) is chosen, the Duke may specify an enemy settlement or army as the objective and the commanding general. The settlement or army must be in a province that borders the House and the Reich must already be at war with the target. All other decisions are made by the Chancellor. The Duke may recall the Household Army from offensive duties at any time and for any reason.

(Save Elberhard)

Count Von Mahren

Greetings!
    I would like to inform that i have left from the Holy land and im on my way back home to Franconia. I received the word from Count Von Hamburgs proposal and i whole heartedly agree with it. I hope to be back in home soon and as my Crusading mission is over im looking forward on joining the Imperial Diet. In my opinion we should lobby through Von Hamburgs proposal as he is completely right that a single army is not enough to protect our Duchy.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Franconians,

I would like to praise von Hamburg's ideas. In times such as these when the Poles, Russians and even the English are threatening our borders and our lands it is time to guarantee that nothing can endanger us. Therefore, one eastern army isn't enough, as Fredericus pointed out.

I would like to hear you all on this matter, before we can put this in front of the Diet to be voted upon. I daresay no objections to the idea per sé will be made, but suggestions and improvements to the original suggestion are of course encouraged - if there are any.

Lastly, I would like to welcome my own son Ansehelm to this Franconian Diet. Let us hear what he has to say...

Your Duke,

Günther.
    I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Also, if you have any suggestions as to what to build in our settlements, or what we should focus on for the duration of this chancellor's reign, please speak up !

Your input is important.

Günther.

Mein Duke have you consider allocating more settlements by giving countship for your son for example? Im happy to stay on Magdeburg if needed,but im also ready move on other castle/city nearer our borders once i arrive to Reich. Also as you are well aware i wanted away from Holyland,but does any of you want to journey into outrememer? It seems Kaiser Henry would like to see Franconians there also.Also mein Duke.I wish that you would decide what to build in Magdeburg untill i reach Franconia and get better picture of the building needs of my castle.
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 05-16-2007 at 16:00.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Ansehelm:

I know little of what's going on at this time, as I've only just started looking at matters of state, but I would like to say this:
    I second the proposal by Count Von Hamburg. I must also say that it might be wise to suggest expanding to the east. If we look at the current map of our empire we clearly see that we border 3 enemies (and 4 if you also count the rebels). While other duchies sometimes only border 1 enemy (neglecting the crusades this is).
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

By taken atleast one of the Polish cities we will secure our eastern flank as well take loads of resources from them.

This ofcourse can only be done if we have also an army in the west. I think that this doesn't have to be a big army, a small "reaction" force will do.

I agree with Ansehelm.I think we should suggest on taking the Polish capital of Krakow.This would neutralize the Polish threat as their cities in the Steppes wont create much income. I think Austrians could support us with the edict as it would also secure their own flank.
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 05-16-2007 at 16:28.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagemusha
    Mein Duke have you consider allocating more settlements by giving countship for your son for example? Im happy to stay on Magdeburg if needed,but im also ready move on other castle/city nearer our borders once i arrive to Reich.
    Yes, my son and I have been discussing it. I shall appoint my son count, but I have not yet decided where to the east I shall let him go. Although I have full confidence in his abilities, he is my son after all, I am still unsure if I shall send him to Thorn. Quite a dangerous area, I'll give him the time to give his yes or no.

We could use one of your abilities to fight, and we need the people on the western front to eventually fight the English and maybe even the Danes later on. However, let us see how the western front develops itself, and what your thoughts are when your closer to home...

Franconians,

There are several things I wish you to take note of.

First of all, edict 8.3 was passed:

Edict 8.3: As soon as possible a second Crusade to the Holy Lands should be called by Emperor Henry. The target would depend on the current situation but should be one of the places mentioned in the Emperors draft for the Kingdom of Outremere.
    At least one Franconian and Austrian general should participate so that each House will be represented in this new Kingdom.
    Which means one of us is destined to march on to the Holy land, as soon as he can, to take the city of Damascus.

As far as I see it, Thorn will be governed by my son - Ansehelm.

The question then remains if von Hamburg, currently supervising the Franconian Household army in my stead, or myself will journey to the Holy land.

As your Duke I shall take the responsibility upon myself, if Fredericus does not wish to go, to march with the crusade - as our late Duke Dietrich did before us.

If he does wish to go, then I again shall lead the Franconian army in the east.

So Fredericus, will you march to the Holy land, or serve your House from it's home land ?

Franconians, your comments and suggestions are always welcome, however, time is of the essence and one day should be enough to give answer to the query at hand. Otherwise I shall make it myself.

Your Duke,

Günther

Last edited by Dutch_guy; 05-20-2007 at 22:06.

Very well, then.

(Save Elberhard)

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FLYdude
    Very well, then.
    An Imperial scribe looks puzzled by this answer and thinks, does he mean:

Very well, I will march on Outremer?

or

Very well, I serve my House from it's homeland?

You, scribe! Why haven't you scribed anything yet? Surely my perfectly concise and, err.. clear answer of responding in the affirmative on the issue of going to the Outremer needs to be relayed to the Chancellor. Well, get on with it!

(Save Elberhard)

Short letter from the "count" of Thorn to all Franconian nobles

Fellow Franconian Nobles, I suggest that for the upcoming Imperial Diet we propose an Edict that will mean more interest in the defence of our Reichs borders and expansion into the East.
    I propose we should propose to do more to attack Russia, Poland and Hungary and that we should even start our own Teutonic Crusade against Russia and Poland. There might be little to find in the East, but they give us room to live and most of all room for safety. The steppes are big and once we secure big pieces of lands for ourselves we don't have to worry about the East anymore. In that case 1 small army in that area will do.

I also say that we should continue with what we wanted to propose for the last Diet, small second household armies.

Awaiting your reply

Ansehelm, former count of Thorn

That has been done under Charter Amendment 9.4. I suggest you put forward an edict concerning an eastern crusade yourself, it will be seconded - a Teutonic crusade would do our house and the Reich good, and show the eastern barbarians our true determination to see this thing trough.

I also urge all Franconians to at least second the charter amendment 9.4, and get it through the voting rounds.

I really am worried about the amount of men that want to start crusading. Don't they see the Reich itself is in trouble. On our Eastern Front all we have is a Franconian Household Army which has loads of casualties. Next to that we have Danes in the North and there's no way we can defend against them.

Next to that there are only 3 Franconian Nobles, so we won't be able to get our own edicts through on our own. We need massive help, and seeing as people are willing to crusade in the Outremer it will be pretty hard.

If Edict 9.5 doesn't get through I suggest we simply retake Thorn and I will garrison it with a good garrison. The other border city of Breslau should be defended by one of my brothers. We should prepare on not getting 9.5 so it should be wise to prepare for a defensive campaign.

A messenger enters the Franconian assembly and starts to read an letter.

"Mein Duke,Franconian nobles. I have embarked on the soil of Europe and im currently in Thessalonika. I have to inform you that after talks with Duke Leopold of Austria i have agreed on helping the Austrians by taking over the siege of the city and i will prepare to take it. After that i will continue commanding the Austrian household army,untill Austrian commander will be available to take over it.
    Leopold and i have agreed that my oldest son will be given title in the Austrian Duchy as count of Prague and that the next generation of our family will be Austrians. But this doesnt concern me and i will still be holding the title Count of Magdeburg and continue serving Franconia.
    After i have settled issues here in Austria i will return to Franconia and im ready to serve our Duchy in any capacity needed. I hope to see you all soon.

Yours,

Jonas Von Mahren"
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Ansehelm instructs the messenger to return the following message

Would one of your sons ever wish to visit Franconia they will be more then welcome at my place, after the Household Army retakes it.
    Return soon, Franconia is in need of good generals as we border many enemies. Magdeburg even is in the line of fire.

It's a waste to have you're family and you leave our House Jonas, but it is your choice and I deem it to be wrong to try and force you to do otherwise - as your Duke. I hope this event doesn't take too much of your free time, as we could use you here as soon as possible.

Peter von Kastilien - RIP Member gibsonsg91921's Avatar

I, Peter von Kastilien, hereby formally present myself before the Duchy of Franconia.

As an elector, I believe that our secular relations with our allies are much more important than relations with the Pope. The Papal States, as a powerful political entity, are a secular nation in my eyes, and Outremer is there solely to protect our relations with those around the world.

Mostly, our allies the Portuguese and the Byzantine Empire are uppermost in my mind as they control the corners of the Mediterannean and protect our trade and shores with their powerful navies. We should seek to foster these relationships.

Lastly, we should punish our enemies the Russians and Polish for their audacity in alienating our borders for too long. I believe the FHA should push east, while stalling the excommunicated Vikings until the eastern threat is neutralized. This way we can open a northern front against Hungary as well as push to the Black Sea for its lucrative trade.
    The late Emperor Peter von Kastilien the Tyrant, Lamm der Wahrheit.

Join Capo de Tutti Capi II! It's totally amazing!

Welcome to this assembly Peter, what a nice surprise to have yet another of my kind enter this noble body.

I'm of the opinion that we should maintain good relations with just about everyone not on our eastern side. As those nations have yet to disappoint me with regard to their ruthlessness and barbarity.

Trade relations should be kept in good state with everyone not at war with us, and especially with the greater powers you listed, the great trade powers I mean of course.

As you may or may not know, the Household army's main goal the next years will be the exact thing you stated: driving the Poles and Russians back, until their expansionist ideas are no more than ideas of the far away past. And their major cities and castles our possessions...

Those Polish scoundrels continue to flout our supreme authority! It is well that Ansehelm was ready for them this time they came to Thorn. It is time the FHA strikes back and takes Krakow, their capital.

No, the FHA should turn North and rout the Russians near Thorn. Otherwise I'm in big
    Last edited by econ21; 06-10-2007 at 00:29.

OOC: i havent seen a recent save file or else i would have known that lol

After Thorn is secured, our goals for the future must include the capture of Krakow.
    Last edited by gibsonsg91921; 06-09-2007 at 21:19.

My scouts have not yet determined the strength of the besiegers, but it goes without saying our household army will help you in your battle Ansehelm.

After that its Krakow.

My friends, my emissary to Bavaria has discovered that the Bavarians do not think highly of us Franconians.

His report:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothar Steffen
    You speak the truth, Matthias. I am not certain if you have noticed, but the Houses do not seem intent on cooperation at this moment in time. The Swabians continue to pursue their vendetta against the French and the Franconians continue their mindless ravings about the Poles. Only Bavaria and Austria have had amicable relations lately, thanks to my friendship with Duke Arnold. I am certain we will continue to be close allies of the Austrians, but they have their hands full at the moment. We simply must look to our own resources for our defense.
    I believe that we must make some kind of proposal on our behalf must be made to shore up relations with our friends the Bavarians. While my brother Ansehelm and I have had our quarrels with the Swabian house of late, Bavaria, our longtime allies and Southern anchors of the Reich, has not fallen out of our favor. My emissary noted that as of late they struggle to create troops to defeat the Milanese once and for all - I propose that Franconia assist them and send a small sending-force to assist in their capture of Sardinia, which they plan to assist Sicily in taking.

Letter from Jonas Von Mahren

I completely disagree with the young Von Kastillien.Look at the votes.Franconia has been united when others ramble with their own personal goals.Im now in Rome in diet and can see things clearly. We dont need to kiss the boots of the Bavarians or any other houses. If any house ours has stood against the enemies of the Reich while most of the resources have been blundered to other areas or the Outremer. I think we should speak between ourselves and decide our stands together, rather then visit the talks of other houses.I think in that Young Von Kastillien has made an bad example out of himself. Austria has been our traditional ally and we should keep good relations with them.Maybe also develop our relations with Swabians so we can act together if the need raises incase Danes decide to invade with force. The Bavarians and us has the least amount the same intrests,so i see them as most insignificant and their wishes on attacking the Italian islands as wormongering and acting against the holy fathers wishes.

Jonas Von Mahren
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Ansehelm: Herr von Mahren is right. And I propose that my young brother drops the contacts which he will mostlikely have with Lothar Steffen. We are Franconia, not some other duchy. If Bavaria can't attack Milan tough luck, aslong as we can attack our enemies.

Father, thank thee for my knightship.

The Tenth Session of Diet is coming up, does anyone have any edicts in mind? Let's build up Thorn, get the FHA on the move, etc.

I'm working on an edict to take care of the Russians by means of a seperate army next to the FHA.

OOC: Due to my well increased influence. I've got 6 loyalty (+1), 15 points in total (+1) and I'm count (+1). It should be far easier for us to mean something.
    Last edited by Stig; 06-15-2007 at 15:09.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast