Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Duchy of Austria

Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar

Default Re: Duchy of Austria

Apologies my lord Duke,

I have been away and in fact I must again leave immediately to my estates in the east. I did believe Mandorf was the best man for the job and you did in fact instruct me to vitr as I saw fit.

I want to make clear my allegience to you, and ensure that I will complete my personal issues as soon as possible and rejoin you in the Diet immeditately upon there completion.

Leopold glances briefly at the Second Elector:

I'll speak with you in due time.

Then he turns to the 3rd Elector

The future looks grim and much depens on the outcome of the battle against Pope Gregory. Although it pains me to hear this, the only way we can get salvation is when Gregory dies and Heinrich succeeds.
    While a defensive action in Vienna may be advisable I have no liking for it. We hav sat in Vienna long enough, it is time to strike out and I still believe that Zagreb should be our goal. If the Hungarians start acting up we can still divert our forces to the East. Zagreb or Budapest, either way the borders of our House will be expanded by the time of the next Diet!
    The lions sing and the hills take flight.
    The moon by day, and the sun by night.
    Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
    Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

—chant from a children's game heard in Great Aravalon, the Fourth Age

Member Member 5 Card Draw Champion, Mini Pool 2 Champion, Ice Hockey Champion, Mahjong Connect Champion Northnovas's Avatar

Ponders on the Duke's comments and speaks

Excellent decision my Lord. The recent developments are a minor set back and we do have to rely on a decisive victory from the Kaiser for our security.
    I suggest the best troops we have for the offensive on the Venetians and a respectable militia for Vienna. It would not hurt to keep our spy network between here and Budapest to watch for any Hungarian aggression.
    Time is of the essence. I would fear a Venetian counter attack if they are able to rebuild such a force.
    Victory to Duke Leopold and the Emperor!!

A glass is raised in the Duke's honour.

Dear Electors!

I have crushed the resistance in Zagreb and the city is now finally under full Imperial control. Although Heinrich has not officially decreed the settlement to be ours, the past has shown that lands conquered by Household armies go to the appropriate House. Already Chancellor Mandorf has contacted me about the plans for Zagreb. I don't need to remind you that we don't own a castle of yet. Zagreb is a small land-locked town whose profitabilty will be hard earned. He has suggested to turn the town into a castle. This would boost our defense in the south and finally provide an adequate recruitment center for our Household army. What is your oppinion on this matter?

Member Member 5 Card Draw Champion, Mini Pool 2 Champion, Ice Hockey Champion, Mahjong Connect Champion Northnovas's Avatar

My Lord, I had just recently viewed the area and noted we are lacking in a castle in the East. Your suggestion of a castle is a sound one for the Austrian House. Building a fortress in Zagreb will offer security and skilled units that will be quickly accessible for our needs.
    Zagreb will not only offer security but a buffer as well till we clean up the area from the Venetians. It will also save us the time waiting for better trained units coming from the west.
    I think this is a wise decision and I am in favour of my Lord's suggestion to convert the city of Zagreb in to a castle.

5th Elector of Austria Member ArchdukeEvan's Avatar

My lord... what size of Castle will your recent capture be converted to?... a Motte and Balley i assume?... it will be very uselful... congragulations...

as for the East... if we are optimistic... Hungary will attack and we will gain more riches than the rest of the houses!

OOC. sry for the delay... my network broke and i just got it fixed

Dear Electors!

With the Emergeny Session of the Diet running, you see that I have made my proposals. I have said what has to be said and will not waste any more words on petty squabbling between the Houses. If the Kaiser or Duke von Kassel can't see that they have done wrong in the past, then the Diet must show them their view and vote accordingly.

If you agree with me on Edict E1.4 then please second and support it in the discussions, otherwise it will not be put to the vote. Maybe one of you could make the necessary Changes to it and propose an Edict of its own calling for Florence to be given away? Either way we have to reconcile with the Papacy as soon as possible and prevent that any Elector leads us on a false Crusade without the authorization and the divine mandate needed for such a quest.

I have said my share and now rely on you to carry my agenda through this Emergency session.

stands and speaks through the small talk...

My Duke

i have heard wispers of the next chancellers to run... will you run for the office dear Lordship?...

sits after his question

Excellent move Duke Leopold. We have been sorely in need of a castle to ensure our ability to defend against our eastern boarders.

To be enitrely direct my Lord, I believe it is time you did run for the office of Chancellor.

What say you my Duke?

Duke Leopold I think the Electors have made a good suggestion that you run for Chancellor. You are in support of the Crusade even though a sanction Crusade would have been to the liking of this House, meaning you would have the Crusaders concerns in mind while administrating them and also the responsibility of administrating the Reich.
    I think you would make an excellent Chancellor.

I am honoured by your support and as you can see I have held my inaugural speech in front of the Diet. It will now be up to them to make the obvious decision, but I am confident that you shall not remain the only ones supporting me. Already Dietrich von Saxony has declared for me and I am sure that more will follow.

With the Diet open this brings up the next point of Ducal Edicts. Do you have any propositions then please voice them so that I can bring them up in front of the Diet. Currently I feel no need to use any of them as my Chancellorship should give me enough powers to facilitate my agenda.

Duke Leopold I am pleased with your decision to stand for Chancellor. You would be a wise choice for the Reich and The Crusaders.
    I have been thinking the Edict issue the past couple days and cannot really think of any pressing issue other then reconciliation with the Church. This will happen through progression and no need for any Edict.
    I have no Edict to propose but will consider to second any brought forward by my fellow Austrian Electors.

well, possibly this...

It is along the lines of... since the cursade is in effect, only 1 town can be taken from a nation that declares war on the Reich...

I have heard that if Hungry attacks, the Crusaders want to take Sofia, becasue it would open their path to the East...

this i feel is a mistake, because Budapest is much more prosperous... so... if this rumors i hear are true... then possibly an Edict to take Budapest would be in order...

elsewise... i know of nothing that we need to address

edit:OOC i think i will bring that up myself
    Last edited by ArchdukeEvan; 03-25-2007 at 15:15.

In antechamber off from the Diet floor *Austrian War Council*

Duke Leopold again I just want to bring the current situation up to date before the Diet ends and you return to Venice. Please excuse me for my lengthy presentation. The intelligence from the Crusading Forces is correct about the Venetian build up. However, sources tell me that Zagreb is not their intended target but Venice to lift the siege.
    I think it was a wise decision on your correspondence to the Crusades Council that there help is not required and they should leave post haste with the men they have in the army. I think they are causing some confusion to the Venetians because of the size and their objective is unknown to them.
    We have two options. First, the attack on Venice should continue. If you decide to attack quickly and capture the city the Venetian force will not be able to help and it will give you time to stabilize the city reinforce and come east. It would be uncertain then if the Venetians would head south or attack Zagreb. A minor build up in the castle could help.
    The second option would be to let the Venetians commit to Venice. It will cut you off from Austrian lines but there could be support coming troops in N. Italy. Once the Venetians are close meet the oncoming force but not take the city or take the city and then meet the larger force.
    I know my Lord that option two is more of a gamble but if there is any Austrian build up in Zagreb.(OCC or another avatar) We would be able to close in on the Venetian Force from both sides caught in the pass.
    Again Duke Leopold this is my humble advice to consider and you may have far more responsibilities to consider after the Diet closes. My fellow Electors any comments for the Duke or other strategy?

I would agree more with option 1... we are on the verge of taking venice... if this force comes, and isnt intercepted.. it could but the assalt in jepordy... but if it gets stuck seiging or in Zagreb... then we can hold it there until after we take Venice... though it is our only Castle, i belvie that Venice is more important than Zagreb at the current time

3rd Elector your strategic proposals are sound and trapping a large Venetian host in a mountain pass an admirable feat. However I do not have it in me to abandon the siege of Venice. The city lies before me and I will take it!
    Should the Venetian army be intent on Venice though, this would truly be excellent and all the more reason for me to maintain the siege, lest the Venetians consider the threat resolved and turn on Zagreb.
    Should the army continue for Venice, as I hope I will do my best to ride out with our Household Army and try to meet them at the spot you suggested.

Since you haven't brought up any Edicts, let me propose one of our own. I believe many of us have been grieved by the recent excommunication, a thing I have always tried to prevent, and there are many loopholes in our Charter that one man could abuse to once again plunge us into excommunication should we ever be reconciled. Therefore I propose to you Edict 6.x:
    Any decision that would lead to the excommunication of the Reich has to be authorized by a Diet vote, requiring a 2/3 majority.

What do you think of it? Especially the 2/3 part of it, one might presume it is too harsh or restricting.

Thank you my Lord, I do have some concern over the quietness in the Diet. I was thinking along the lines of your Edict 6.x and wonder what other loopholes are out there? Especially going in on an unauthorized Crusade I am concerned what technicalities may arise and the predicaments for the Empire.
    I will second your Edict to prevent future excommunication this may also support any DOW against any faction that will result in excommunication.
    Will one of my fellow Electors second Duke Leopolds Edict 6.x?

staying with the Church is a very important thing... and along thouse lines i will Second your proposal

My felow Austrian Electors!

I have an important announcement to make. As you may have heard I am of late proud father of a son. His name is Arnold, and although he is a mere infant now I can see it in his eye that he is destined for greatness. I am not getting any younger and since he is my first-born male I will make him my heir! I hereby announce that Arnold of Austria shall inherit all my titles!

OOC:
    About time I mentioned this.
    The way I see it this will make it interesting for those of you without avatars. Hopefully this will change soon, but in a mere 36 turns there will be at least two further Austrian avatars. The first avatar we can be sure of will be Meckils husband.
    The way I see it we have AussieGiant up for the first avatar, followed by ArchdukeEvan and then Northnovas, since this is the order of your joining and you have all been very active!
    Now AussieGiant has first refusal on Meckil's husband. If he takes it he will have an avatar, but he won't become Duke. If he refuses then another one can take that avatar, but he will have first refusal on Arnold again.
    This of course only applies if we don't get any adoptions, but to be honest I have given up on that long ago.
    Either way that's the way I plan the future of our avatars to happen, feel free to comment.

OCC:
    That seems to be the most fair process for avators. We have all been pretty patient waiting and seniority should count for something. Whatever comes downhill I will take.
    Last edited by Northnovas; 03-28-2007 at 19:13.

OOC. uh... at the time being i dont have a working copy of the game... and i definatly dont have what we are using... as my game is uninstaled... so I must place myself at the back of that line... because I cant do the battles if it is required... so if being an un-avitared count is better... maybe of like Zagreb... lol

OOC:
    Ah, thanks for the info ArchdukeEvan. This puts Northnovas ahead of you then. Just let me know once you get the game working.
    I have added a section in our first post to reflect the order of avatar assignation.
    Concerning those Count titles, I'll probably make an announcement later today.

OOC:

Hi Ituralde and fellow Austrian electors.

I'm certainly leaning towards being your son Ituralde!! :)

That probably means someone can jump in ahead of me with Meckil's husband.

I'm back next week and raring to go, so get ready for some tall stories from Russia and some equally outrageous behaviour from me in the Diet :)

[I]A Messenger arrives to Dukes Leopold's tent. He is in plain civilian clothing and dusty had just come from the beseiged City of Vienna. The Messenger bows deeply and hands the Duke a letter with the Royal Seal it is from the Third Elector.....[I]

My Lord,
    Excuse me for my directness and lack of formal greeetings. I am sending this communication from our beseiged capital. There has been little communictaion between the Electors in the House and with the enemy tromping on Austrian soil I was concerned. I returned to the capital looking for the Electors when I was caught in the in the city by the Hungarians. I was aware of your position from our intellegence and know that you were enroute. I do believe our garrison is larger then the Hungarians force with your Army on arrival I am sure they will run like the dogs they are or be soundly defeated in battle.
    When we have the chance to meet I wish to discuss strategy to defending our soil. I know your role as Chancellory as added further repsonsibilty but I felt we must discuss Austrian issues. The 2nd Electors will hopefully return soon from the East as his word and I am searching the city for the Fifth.
    Surely your Army will lift the seige of the city but I ask you.
    Do we dare go on the offence and attack Budapest? I am told of the large Hungarian Army near Venice. Would attacking their capital lure that force homeward? I am sure the Hunagrians are busy enough with the Byzantines and cannot have to many troops outside of Budapest.
    Or do we wait and go after the Hungarian force at Venice if it comes further east?
    I leave you with these thoughts and hopefully can discuss these issues with you soon with the other Electors. God's speed.

Faithfully Servant
    Last edited by Northnovas; 04-03-2007 at 04:26.

OOC... can someone tell me the dispotiotion of the forces?... if it is still relevant... Im at school...

IC... I have arived... i belive that the city must be freed first, and if the force is destroyed here... then it cant relive an attack on Budapest, so i say that we move unto Budapest second...

ArchdukeEvan,

There is too much to tell about what is going on.

It`s a complete shit fight with 4 major foreign armies in and around our boarders. The main thing Ituralde needs to due is relieve Vienna.

The rest must be dealt with by the other House Armies.

Ituralde,

How long before I get Arnold? It looks like there will be more than 4 battles a turn for the next few years.

yes... i gather that.. fact... we must prepare... anyways... the edict i sugestesed and pased in the last diet would force us to go after budapest...

Edit... im going to Tennessee... so i may or maynot be able to get on here... i got my game working agian... ty for the update... have fun
    Last edited by ArchdukeEvan; 04-07-2007 at 13:28.

A messenger from Duke Leopold arrives in Vienna shortly after the Hungarian forces have lifted the siege.

Dear Electors!

I would have prefered to speak to you in person, but the current circumstances make haste a wiser choice. As you read this letter I have hopefully crossed the Danube and will be within striking distance of Budapest at the end of the season.

I have read of your concerns and will detail my defensiv strategem to all of you.
    As my move against Budapest shows I am indeed planning on drawing the Hungarian forces to their capital. Although I believe that the Bavarian Household Army will deal with the Crusaders stranded close to Venice.
    The Venetians have been quiet but could reappear around Zagreb any time. With only one army at our disposal, I plan to take and sack Budapest as soon as possible. It will then serve as a lightly defended buffer zone against Hungarian intrusions, keeping Vienna out of harms way. I will then try to position myself between Zagreb and Budapest and ward off any attacks by our enemies. I will priorise the defense of Zagreb though, as a castle is needed to support our army.

I hope you can see the logic behind my plans. If you do have any objections don't hesitate to mention them. As always I rely on your council and would have preferred to discuss this directly. The opporunity to strike at the enemies capital was there so we have to rely on messengers instead. I hope to fulfill Edict 6.1 as soon as possible.

Yours faithfully

Duke Leopold
    Chancellor of the Holy Roman Empire

OOC:
    Hey AussieGiant,
    Good to hear that you're back I'm gonna PM you once I have the time.
    You will have to wait at least 20 turns before Arnold comes of age though, that will be 12 more turns than Meckil will take to come of age. That's why I posed the question of which avatar you want. Either way, unless an adoption comes our way it will still be a long until we have a second Austrian avatar.

In an antechamber of the Diet floor the Austrian Electors meet. Having much pride in their unified declaration for the new Emperor. They are drinking the finest Italian wine and toasting the Bavarian Army and their victory over the Hungarians at the River PO. The Third Elector then tells of the ordeal and the siege in Vienna his correspondence with Duke Leopold and Duke's reply.

Fellow Electors the Hungarian Army is destroyed and no longer a concern around Venice. The Duke marches not to lift the seige of Vienna but to capture The Hungarian capital Budapest. I feel this is an excellent opportunity to free the citizens of Vienna from the concerns of war by creating a buffer. One siege on the city is enough. Though Duke Leopold speaks wisely to no forget those Venetian dogs because they have been lying low. I think some intelligence that way to asses what they are up to in army build up would be prudent. What do you think of the Duke's correspondence?
    Why there is still some wine left it would be rude of me if I did not make one more toast.
    To Duke Leopold for his tireless effort as Chancellor and his defence of Austria and the Empire! Raises his goblet for a large swig..

OCC: It would be nice to get a few more Austrian Armies into play. Waiting very very patiently.......

IC:

Hear hear 3rd Elector!!

Our Duke's handling of the Reich has been excellent and now all can see the skill and fortitude our house has brought to bear at these times of trouble!!

I concurr with our Dukes plan. By striking directly torwards Budapest the Hungarian army beseiging Vienna will have no choice but to lift the seige and make it's way back to their capital.

Likewise once this is done, by placing the House army equal distance between Vienna and Zagreb we can easily defend each location should an army attempt to take each of these settlements.

With Budapest a hollow shell of it former self after the sacking we should have more than enough time to react to any armies moving up from the interior of Hungary.

OC: Hey Ituralde,

I look forward to your PM when you have a moment. I'm prepared to wait until then. Given we have been together from the beginning I believe we are best suited to a father son relationship in the game.

I can't wait!!

Plus one of these chaps can get their teeth around our first avatar and get into the thick of things very soon.

Cheers to you all
    AG

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast