Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Trading card style unit cards for offline use

She pushed me ... Member Arkatreides's Avatar

Default The EB:Collectible Unit Card Project

You are in the heat of a battle and cannot remember the difference between your Dorkim Lubim-Ponnim Mesoorianim and your Dorkim Lubim-Ponnim Mookdamim?

You are lying in bed trying to plan the battles ahead but with not access to your beloved unit stats?

Your girlfriend/wife/mother has thrown you off the computer but you need your daily fix of EB?

Fear not because the EB:Collectible Unit Card Project is here! Every single unit in the game will be (eventually) created as a collectible card!

I chose the dimension of each card to be 3.5x2.5 inches. The reason for this is that that's the format of most trading/collectible card games (Magic, Pokemon, Star Wars, LotR etc.) out there and thus they will fit into standard trading card sleeves. The best thing to do is to print them out, cut them to the right size and then insert them into the sleeves with a spare common to add strength to the card and you have your own nice set of EB:TCG

Card Fronts (Image and Stats) will be collected in this post, Card Backs (Recruitment Zones) will be collected in post #3 below

The anatomy of a card

1: Unit name (native) followed by English name.

2: MIC level required

3: Reform (if applicable)

4:Number of men (x2 from the EDU - i.e. correct for Large setting)
    + Number of officers
    Drop of Blood: Hitpoints (if not 1)
    If there is an 'R' underneath that means this unit appears in regional MICs of one or more other factions.

5: Upkeep (recruitment cost is 4 times this value, give or take rounding errors)

6: Attack values

Primary weapon - Attack value - Lethality (Lethality replaced by ammo for ranged attacks (where Lethality is 1))
    Charge bonus (if applicable)
    Any other modifier (like AP/Phalanx/Range)

Underneath the same for Secondary weapon (if applicable)

7: Defence stats, including collision mass for infantry units

8: Morale, (>> = Impetuous)

9: Icons for special abilities:
    Heart = Good Stamina
    Triangle = Wedge
    Circular arrows = Cantabrian Circle
    Tree = Improved Hiding in Forest
    Grass = Hiding in Long Grass
    Skull = Freighten (either I for Infantry or C for Cavalry)
    Flag = Command
    T = Testudo

10: Short Description

NOTE: THE FACTION SHIELD ONLY REFERS TO FACTIONS THAT CAN RECRUIT THE UNIT IN A FACTIONAL (i.e. NOT REGIONAL) MIC

ROMAN (mostly complete)

SPQR

'BARBARIAN'

THE COMPLETE CELTIC (Casse/Aedui/Arverni) LINEUP (100% complete):

GETAI (100% complete):

LUSOTANNAN(essentially complete - only missing ones are those that are shared with either Celtic or Carthage):

SWEBOZ (100% complete):

AFRICAN

Carthaginian Units (100% complete):

Sabean Units (100% complete):

ALTERNATIVE IMAGE CARDS FOR COMMON CARTHAGE AND LUSOTANNAN UNITS:

HELLENIC
    THE COMPLETE WESTERN GREEK LINEUP (100% complete):

THE COMPLETE EASTERN GREEK LINEUP (100% complete):

ALTERNATIVE IMAGE CARDS FOR COMMON WESTERN AND EASTERN GREEK UNITS:

EASTERN
    THE COMPLETE EASTERN LINEUP (100% complete):

Steppe/Nomadic (100% complete):

Here the 'N' refers to Nomadic MICs (Camps) and the 'P' to Pastoral MICs (Settlements) . Units with orange dots are noble cavalry from the Elite Herds (Herds and Courts) and can be recruited under both nomadism or pastoralism. Check this image for a more detailed explanation of what the different MICs mean:https://img474.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nomad7fp.jpg

Regional Units (100% complete):
    These are units that don't appear in any faction's factional MIC but ONLY in regional MICs.

Please let me know if you spot any typos on the cards - there are hundreds of them and all done by hand, errors do happen!

Known typos:
    Camillian Equites: wrong English name
    Ordmhornaghta: 60 men, not 120
    Pictones: 40 men
    Last edited by Arkatreides; 06-05-2007 at 16:19.

We can clone a sheep but we cannot clone a single photon.

Post Re: Trading card style unit cards for offline use

Hi Arkatreides,
    For some strange reason it wont let me see them, it tells me I have to log in, do you have to register on the site, and if so, how do you do it? Thanks!
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

Default Recruitment maps

Recruitment maps (designed to go on the back of the cards) are here!

The areas in green represent the areas where every faction whose symbol is listed can recruit the unit, areas in red represent regions where only some (usually only those for whom the unit is a factional unit, but it does vary a little) can recruit the units.

They are not in any particular order right now (though the first few are sort of alphabetic). Once they are all complete I will re-upload them in alphabetic (or whatever is more useful) order.

I also want to thank LorDBulA for making these maps so much easier to create!

COMPLETE HELLENIC:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

COMPLETE EASTERN AND STEPPE:

OLDER CARDS - for completeness only

Here is another treat for you - government maps for the factions (green = homeland, yellow=expansion, grey=other). 99% of the credit for these goes to LorDBulA, so thank him, not me!

These cards are designed to go on the back of the general unit cards once those are done btw.

Last edited by Arkatreides; 06-04-2007 at 10:24.

Default Re: Trading card style unit cards for offline use

Oo, these are awesome! The only problem would be that a lot of the stats are liable to change as the mod progresses, at least until a final release. So don't go crazy and get 'em all just yet! But they look really cool nonetheless, good job.

It does seem like there can be something added, I just can't think of what. It's pretty late, head not on straight. I'll get back to you.

Post Re: Trading card style unit cards for offline use

Quote Originally Posted by Arkatreides
    Sorry, that was my fault, I uploaded it to the wrong place - doh!
    Thanks!
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

Now to add a pokemon like catch-phrase....

"Gotta 'cruit them all!"

These are awsome! I will definately dl these and keep them on my PC for reference if nothing else!
    3 things which I would love to see included:
    - A list of who can recruit them
    - secondary weapon for all units. I notice you have the stats for cavalry, it would be cool to know what damage other units do with their swords too (like hoplites) edit: my bad, you have done this already for most of them. I guess hoplites dont have swords...
    - A short description/history. Of course there probably isnt the space for this on the card...

Either way, these are a really good idea. Well done Arkatreides!
    Last edited by Kugutsu; 03-04-2007 at 12:02.

aka Artaserse (the Lone Borg) Member Obelics's Avatar

this is a definitively good idea, i like it! im not sure what are those numbers under the image on the right? for example 768 for tessalian cavalry? if they are the costs, id like to have shown even the upkeep, since the real pain are not the recruitement costs, but the upkeep costs. Also are you sure Tessalian cavalry have AP for the spear, wasn't it for the sword?. Last question, when can i check myself those stats, since im able to do it for other mods, but i can't find it for EB.

Eagerly waiting for the next faction cards (Id like a non oplite faction this time)

salut!

EDIT: i dont think the EB work in progress stats are a problem, cause if you keep this saved on your HD in Photoshop native format, you can always go and easilly modify and update it.

Questor of AI revenue. Member The Errant's Avatar

To check the stats of any unit just go to your EB/Data folder and open the export_descr_unit(s) file. It should contain all the relevant data conserning the units in EB, including cost, stats, ownership etc.

"If you listen, carefully. You can hear the Gods laughing."

Last words of Emperor Commodus. From "The Fall of the Roman Empire".

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

perhaps the short description or something could be added?
    Verry cool, tough!

Quote Originally Posted by Kugutsu
    - A list of who can recruit them
    I tried this in a first instance (took all the faction shields and put them as little icons on the cards) but then when I looked at a unit like the Hoplitai Haploi (which can pretty much be recruited by every single faction) this quickly became overkill.

So the plan now is to have the faction shield as a background on the right hand side of the card (all of these here are Macedonian units) and leave it blank for those units that can be recruited by everyone (or almost).

As for the short description, I thought about that - as long as it is only a line or two it is fine (it can fit right under the stats) but I didn't manage to come up with anything good/catchy/relevant. Will see though

I think the numbers are the upkeep cost

Great stuff! :~cheers:

'My intelligence is not just insulted, it's looking for revenge with a gun and no mercy. ' - Frogbeastegg

SERA NIMIS VITA EST CRASTINA VIVE HODIE

The life of tomorrow is too late - live today!

Quote Originally Posted by Obelics
    this is a definitively good idea, i like it! im not sure what are those numbers under the image on the right? for example 768 for tessalian cavalry? if they are the costs, id like to have shown even the upkeep, since the real pain are not the recruitement costs, but the upkeep costs. Also are you sure Tessalian cavalry have AP for the spear, wasn't it for the sword?. Last question, when can i check myself those stats, since im able to do it for other mods, but i can't find it for EB.
    A quick rundown of the numbers:

Left under picture: Number of men (x2 from the EDU)

Right under picture: Upkeep cost (recruitment cost is always 4x this amount (give or take rounding errors))

Right side, left column:

Primary weapon - Attack value - Lethality (Lethality replaced by ammo for ranged attacks (where Lethality is 1))
    Charge bonus (if applicable)
    Any other modifier (like AP/Phalanx/Range)

Underneath the same for Secondary weapon (if applicable)

Right side, right column:

Defence stats, including collision mass for infantry units

Moral

Right side, underneath stats:

Any other information (like Good stamina, wedge etc.)
    I didn't include all here on purpose (like can sap) because of the real estate issue on the cards. Might consider moving over to icons that represent these at some later stage.

They look great! I noticed you based yourself on large unit scale.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Great idea! I especially like that you've included the stats for secondary weapons and morale
    Those who would give up essential liberties for a perceived sense of security deserve neither liberty nor security--Benjamin Franklin

ive found the EDu file, it was hidden in the EB subfolder, thanks.

Anyway, isn't what you are calling "lethality" a factor that is better when is lower? (cause it seems to be the "retard" between attacks)

so numidian cavalry who has 0.04 lethality and 13 attack should do better than thessalian cavalry who has 11 and 0.13? (secondary weapon, the more often used...)

again what does collision mass do in substantia? and why cavalry has not collision mass factor? i think heavy cavalry should have an hight collision mass. Just courious. Thanks.

A slight update. I tried to include the short description but as expected it takes up a lot of space on the cards. I therefore decided to move some of the text over into icons - e.g. on the card below, the heart icon represents the "Good Stamina" trait.

Let me know what you think.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Trading card style unit cards for offline use

Anyway, isn't what you are calling "lethality" a factor that is better when is lower? (cause it seems to be the "retard" between attacks)

so numidian cavalry who has 0.04 lethality and 13 attack should do better than thessalian cavalry who has 11 and 0.13? (secondary weapon, the more often used...)
    Not quite. Lethality is the chance that a hit translates into a kill. The lower lethality is, the more knock-downs you'll get, while higher lethality means less knock-downs and more kills.

Not sure about mass, but IIRC it determines which unit will be pushed back during combat. I am told that, all other things being equal, the unit that is pushed back will do slightly worse in combat, but I don't think anybody ever tested this.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

@Ludens, thanks a lot for the explication, now understand why cavalry has not that collision mass factor, regarding the lethality think, i thought it was better when lower cause in the description there is written: "Min delay between attacks (in 1/10th of a second)" but im not good in maths

@Arkatreide like very much the new format with the hearts

These cards have made me wish that I could read a numerical morale in the game, rather than just see "very good morale".

@Ludens, thanks a lot for the explication, now understand why cavalry has not that collision mass factor, regarding the lethality think, i thought it was better when lower cause in the description there is written: "Min delay between attacks (in 1/10th of a second)" but im not good in maths
    Actually, if you count correctly the min delay thingy is not the last entry but the one just before. Lethality was only introduced after patch 1.2(?) so as to slow down the overall kill rate (and thus speed) of the battles, but the description for it was not added to the EDU.

@Arkatreide like very much the new format with the hearts
    Thanks. I am playing around with some other icons right now - in particular the 'wedge' and 'testudo' symbols.

finally all is clear thanks both you 2!

PS
    ah! I should buy soon a new cantridge for my printer

A couple more moved over to the new format ...

Includes "Good stamina","wedge", "hide in long grass" and "improved hide in forest" icons
    Last edited by Arkatreides; 03-04-2007 at 18:19.

Hehe...

Why do I start thinking about Europa Barbarorum CCG...

Nice job Arkatreides
    "Debating with someone on the Internet is like mudwrestling with a pig. You get filthy and the pig loves it"
    Shooting down abou's Seleukid ideas since 2007!

Love the new version of the cards! I can see myself printing them all off and using them as a reference when I am in battle, so I can make better strategic decisions. I was interested to see the stats for peltastai, I always considered them as little better than akontistai, but it appears they are much better...

BTW you have missed the 'B' in 'better armed' for the Argyraspidai.

It's nice to see all the important attributes of an unit in a compact form; it allows comparing the units quickly and easily. I'd like to see more of these.

at this point i think it should be nice to have a comparative tabula of (for example) skirmishers:

Roman Leves, Velites, Akontistai, Peltasts, numidian javelimen etc

it could be divided in various theme collections, "the skirmishers collection cards", "the phalanx collection", "the cavalry collection", a "General's bodyguards golden collection" etc.

Done most of the 'core' Macedonian unit cards now (see first post)

Found some interesting stats in the process. I am not sure everything is how it should be but that's what the EDU says.

at this point i think it should be nice to have a comparative tabula of (for example) skirmishers:

Roman Leves, Velites, Akontistai, Peltasts, numidian javelimen etc

it could be divided in various theme collections, "the skirmishers collection cards", "the phalanx collection", "the cavalry collection", a "General's bodyguards golden collection" etc.

Sensible. My crib notes are arranged by troop type. After all, I want to know which of the subject peoples of my Empire would make the best _______.

wow- this is a great idea! Keep up the good work, imagine the day when you can open up a flip-book and see stats of any unit!
    Currently Playing as:

If you like EB, you'll love:
    https://www.ancient-warfare.com/cms/

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast