Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

Thread: V1.21 Rebuild-ProblemFixer BETA testing thread

Default Re: V1.21 Rebuild-ProblemFixer BETA testing thread

Ah, I didn't realize proximity caused the morale effect with spears/cav. I thought you had to be attacking them (which I was not... yet). So that was probably the last nail in the rout-coffin. Was that penalty the same when I was playing Turks two revs back?

I'm gonna just take Caesarea for now, I think... err, and Treb, have an invasion heading there. I'll let the Turks have the east (nice of me!) They get to deal with the Mongols first I figure Caesarea is their most developed castle, so the biggest threat. Once I have my core in place, Sipahis are much less of an issue. Horses can't fight on walls and don't do so well in streets either. And unless Egypt has changed, they don't build that many Mumlaks and it takes a while to get them. And they well be on a reservation by then. Like Jedda. (Why do you think I want to dominate the sea? Gonna deliver a stack or two to their doorstep by ship!)

Aside from allying with all the Catholics, gonna see how long I can just ignore them. I expect Venice will pick the first fight. They won't like me holding islands that they want. But maybe they will get tangled up with Hungary over Zagreb or something first.

But I'm only about turn 10. And haven't actually fought a serious battle where BI played a significant role. Have to adjust back to combined arms from pure cav thinking.

You overcompensate on castle growth rates? Getting 3.5 at Corinth with no governor. That seems high to me. Cities not near that. Castles CAN grow slower since they don't need as much population to top out. Less than half what cities do. They're forced to normal taxes too, so you can set it to what you want from a balance standpoint easily. The only wildcard will be the governor.

Well, that was the AI being silly. I moved my full stack next to the army outside Caesarea (lots of Sipahi) since I couldn't get around it (river and ridge) planning to provoke it, or attack it next turn. So what does AI do? Moves it off east towards those cities, leaving FL and 2 units inside the castle. Easy siege. (And not a thing you can do about that stupid behavior, I fear!) Spy got the gates Heh, now those Turk units up and went bandit on them too. Darn. I preferred them as Turks! They might attack the walls and save me some trouble. Eek, wrong, faction destroyed! Um... Are they short on family members? I only killed two that I know of. Oh, they have a VERY old Sultan at the start? Maybe he died and I killed off his replacement and the last of the others? Wasn't trying to do that.

Oh well. Bandits can also serve as Mongol fodder!
    Last edited by vonsch; 04-10-2007 at 16:53.

Senior Member Senior Member Carl's Avatar

Ah, I didn't realize proximity caused the morale effect with spears/Cav. I thought you had to be attacking them (which I was not... yet). So that was probably the last nail in the rout-coffin. Was that penalty the same when I was playing Turks two revs back?
    I presume it's area of affect as it's the same effect as what is used for Camels vs. Horses, and yeah it was the same when you played Turks. it's been in since the first release.

I'm gonna just take Caesarea for now, I think... err, and Treb, have an invasion heading there. I'll let the Turks have the east (nice of me!) They get to deal with the Mongols first I figure Caesarea is their most developed castle, so the biggest threat. Once I have my core in place, Sipahis are much less of an issue. Horses can't fight on walls and don't do so well in streets either. And unless Egypt has changed, they don't build that many Mamluk's and it takes a while to get them. And they well be on a reservation by then. Like Jedda. (Why do you think I want to dominate the sea? Gonna deliver a stack or two to their doorstep by ship!)
    , not a bad idea. I've altered the base stables levels that are available so Egypt can now build Mamluk's from Gaza from turn 1 though so it could be you'll face a few.

Aside from allying with all the Catholics, gonna see how long I can just ignore them. I expect Venice will pick the first fight. They won't like me holding islands that they want. But maybe they will get tangled up with Hungary over Zagreb or something first.
    That area of the world is an AI mess ATM, at least one of the factions out of Hungary, Venice, HRE, and Byzantine freezes up when under AI control. It's going to get interesting though I bet.

Hope this campaign keeps your interest till the Mongols arrive as I want to see what you make of them now LOL.

But I'm only about turn 10. And haven't actually fought a serious battle where BI played a significant role. Have to adjust back to combined arms from pure cav thinking.
    Right, fair enough.
    Last edited by Carl; 04-10-2007 at 16:44.
    Find my ProblemFixer Purehere.

This ProblemFixer fixes the following: 2-Hander bug, Pike Bug, Shield Bug, Chasing Routers, Cav not Charging, Formation Keeping Improved, Trait Bugs, and Ancillary Bugs.

BETA Testers needed for the current version of RebuildProblemFixer. Thread here

(slipped an update into the last post after you replied)

Building lots of BI at Corinth to use against rebel cities. They look really cost-effective for sieges. I might even try storming stone walls myself (rather than autosiege). (Ew!)

But I should start putting up towers and clearing out some bandits too. Starting to see some devastation. Byz sure has a lot of money

France has Bruges already at turn 15. That's new.

Turn 20 World Sitrep:

Btw, Rhodes and Caffa will be Byz on turn 21.

Hmm, is that Sicily on Sardinia? Hard to tell from that little map.
    Last edited by vonsch; 04-10-2007 at 18:31.

France has Bruges already at turn 15. That's new.
    Not exactly, they start with it, (cuts the rebel strength bordering both them AND england that way which should help both).

The patch might fix the stupid behavior you noticed s it makes the AI do it's defense allocation FIRST. What will have happened is that the AI will have assigned that stack to an attacking force before getting to the defense decisions.

Or at leas thats my guess anyway.

They look really cost-effective for sieges. I might even try storming stone walls myself (rather than autosiege). (Ew!)
    Should be intresting LOL.

This ProblemFixer fixes the following: 2-Hander bug, Pike Bug, Shield Bug, Chasing Routers, Cav not Charging, Formation Keeping Improved, Trait Bugs, and Ancillary Bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl
    Not exactly, they start with it, (cuts the rebel strength bordering both them AND england that way which should help both).
    Um, it's new this patch. Last patch I (as France) had to besiege it.

Um, it's new this patch. Last patch I (as France) had to besiege it.
    Yeah, i added it in this time round along with Arguin and Timbuktu for the Moors and Calgari for Sicily, (doesn't seem to have done any good though) Also Magdeburg for HRE.

The none movers on your map are:

Sicily, France, Moors, Spain, Portugal, Milan, and Venice.

Thats actually a bit slow as normally 3 out of Milan, Venice, Moors, Spain, and France get moving. Portugal is a bit hit and miss and Sicily refuses to move for love nor money, (literally sometimes LOL).

Okay, Byz isn't feeling too rich. I can't keep up with the building by a long shot. Having to be selective. I am running much larger armies than I usually do since it's a conquest rich environment. I have about three full stacks, but broken into about 6 at the moment, hunting bandits and getting replacements for a push towards the Holy Land cities now.

I have Caffa and most of Anatolia, and Rhodes. Adana is still rebel. Think I'll hit Antioch first though. Makes more sense to have its economy online first. Left Treb as a castle, thinking of the Mongols. I might convert it if I push on to Tbilisi. Rhodes and Smyrna being converted. Corinth and Caesarea are my production, at least for a while. Corinth is a nice centralish port for coastal Med work. Caesarea central to Anatolia. I'll probably leave one coastal Holy Land castle too.

Venice not doing much at Durazzo so far. Sofia still rebel. Don't want to take those as I know it will trigger war with the Catholics fairly fast. Rather focus east and south first.

Okay, that time ByzCav performed better. Had a general along. And walked them a lot further before starting the normal HA shuffle-run stuff. But I think with Byz they will not be a primary but a support unit. Good flankers and chasers. With the bonus of lashing the enemy with arrow fire while doing it.
    Last edited by vonsch; 04-10-2007 at 19:39.

I had started a danish campaign and was having a blast till a minute ago. I finally got my economy up and running and grabbed Stettin and Hamburg. I sent my Prince on the crusade for Jerusalem. He just "got caught up in an act of God". He wasn't on a ship so he didn't get sunk, his army is sitting there next to Constantinople. Did he get assassinated? I'm going to start a Sicilian Campaign because I'm too pissed off to keep playing the danes and HRE is too big to start for my tastes.

I sent my Prince on the crusade for Jerusalem. He just "got caught up in an act of God".
    Either some form of natural Disaster, or possibly an assassination, although typically it says natural causes in that case.

Okay, that time ByzCav performed better. Had a general along. And walked them a lot further before starting the normal HA shuffle-run stuff. But I think with Byz they will not be a primary but a support unit. Good flankers and chasers. With the bonus of lashing the enemy with arrow fire while doing it.
    Thanks for the opinion. Did you get to use Byzantine Infantry then this time? Or you still working on it.

Okay, Byz isn't feeling too rich. I can't keep up with the building by a long shot. Having to be selective. I am running much larger armies than I usually do since it's a conquest rich environment. I have about three full stacks, but broken into about 6 at the moment, hunting bandits and getting replacements for a push towards the Holy Land cities now.

I have Caffa and most of Anatolia, and Rhodes. Adana is still rebel. Think I'll hit Antioch first though. Makes more sense to have its economy online first. Left Treb as a castle, thinking of the Mongols. I might convert it if I push on to Tbilisi. Rhodes and Smyrna being converted. Corinth and Caesarea are my production, at least for a while. Corinth is a nice centralish port for coastal Med work. Caesarea central to Anatolia. I'll probably leave one coastal Holy Land castle too.
    I'd say convert Damascus as it's pretty much the center of the holy land and doesn't cost anything much in trade like Acre would.

Venice not doing much at Durazzo so far. Sofia still rebel. Don't want to take those as I know it will trigger war with the Catholics fairly fast. Rather focus east and south first.
    Damm, I thought I had them fixed too.

I'm guessing Venice has bad timing. They softened it up and Hungary came along and swept up the scraps. That would explain why Sophia is still neutral when Hungary seems to get that one first. Or maybe Byz softens THAT up for Hungary normally.

No BI battles yet, just normal autoresolve stuff. Cav is much better for hunting down bandits that like hiding in the boonies. And HA are best.

Though the ideal is knocking them across the border so they are someone else's problem

There's something up with Trebizond. It's a castle with 6375 pop and I get no option to upgrade it. It's a Middle Eastern style castle culturally on the town buildings list, but on the strategic map it's a Byz Wooden Castle. It's what was there when I captured it. I repaired it, no more.

At turn 29, on the other hand, I can already turn Caesarea into a Citadel. That seems a bit early.

Turn 30 World Sitrep:

I'm seeing a lot of military engineers again. It may be due to all the seige factories. Can we lower the odds on getting those by about 75%?

Wow, turn 38, HRE makes Poland a vassal.

Does the discipline make kataphractoi better than latinkon? They get 2 less charge bonus but one more defense. Not a lot of differentiation, but not a lot of cost difference.

Turn 40 World Sitrep:

Portugal and Milan woke up. Spain and France are snoring so loud I can hear them in Damascus. This time the jihad was on Jerusalem, so I'm waiting for the Egyptians to give up. Meanwhile, backfilling the interior regions back to Adana. The probably hit Edessa. Not sure about more. Am taking Tbilisi and Yerevan though. They have small garrisons. Baghdad and that other one probably do also though. I suspect Spain and the Moor are breaking like waves on Valencia. But then Portugal is at war with the Moors too.

And I'm building my first real army, rather than a mob for throwing at walls. The mobs are pure BI now though. Cheap, effective. I aim to try my army on the Mongols if no one else begs the privilege of being test dummy (Hungary? Venice? Anyone?)

Byz feels, well, easy. Very. Compared to the Turks, or even the Egyptians. Byz doesn't have the huge distance to get started that Egypt does. Turkey too, though to a lesser degree. And the sea works more for Byz.

The bandit spawn rate feels about right for my tastes now. They infrequent, but around enough to be midly annoying... and good practice for young generals.

I think the growth rate for castles is considerably too high now though. Cities seems not too bad.

Trebizond is definitely broken. I converted it to a city, can't expand in as a city either. That's gonna mess up this game since it's pretty indefensible as a level 2 town or a wooden castle. Is it something that a fix will work with a save? Or will it need a complete restart?

Turn 50 World Sitrep:

Last edited by vonsch; 04-11-2007 at 07:18.

A bit into the campaign, H/H

Just took Jerusalem on the first try with the crusade. Was a Heroic Victory and pretty fun to play I might add.

Is Palmero suppoused to have 2 seige works allowing it to have 2 of each siege weapon in the recruitment slots? Pretty cool as it helped a lot.

Ricardus Insanusaum Member Bob the Insane's Avatar

Well I started as Hungary this time, no fancy pictures though...

It has been pretty straight forward so far and I have not reached the magic 30 turns... I am trying to be the good guys this time releasing prisoners, paying ransom (a couple of badly judged auto resolves vs. the rebels) and occupying settlements. I have alliances with most Christian factions and Russia, and trade agreements with everyone one else. I have made an effort to improve my relations with Venice, HRE and Poland to Good or better. I am going for trusted alliances with these guys to see what effect it has but I suspect that may not fly with Venice as the have parked a full sack of troops in a fort just outside my terrirtory being looking directly at Zagrab and I bet they are just waiting for turn 31...

I have taken Iasi, Sofia, Zagrab and Bucharest, I have been growning my settlements and building watch towers to keep an eye on things. I think Durzzo (spelling?) is still rebel but everywhere else I am hemmed in by HRE, Venice, Byz and Poland (even to my east)...

So far my staples of battle have been Militia Spearmen, Archers (peasant and those two Bosinian Archer units), merc Slavs, merc Bulgarian Brigands and my generals for cavalry. While HA are available and I have made good use of the 4 units of Hungarians nobles the council gave me, I have not felt the need to build more at this point. A least not of the grunt work of sieges. Plus getting my kingdom started and ready to go for the 31st turn has been pretty expensive.
    Last edited by Bob the Insane; 04-11-2007 at 12:48.

Trebizond is definitely broken. I converted it to a city, can't expand in as a city either. That's gonna mess up this game since it's pretty indefensible as a level 2 town or a wooden castle. Is it something that a fix will work with a save? Or will it need a complete restart?

here's the offending piece of code:

Code:
    settlement castle
    {
    	level town
    	region Trebizond_Province

year_founded 0
    	population 3100
    	plan_set default_set
    	faction_creator byzantium
    	building
    	{
    		type core_castle_building castle
    	}
    	building
    	{
    		type castle_barracks garrison_quarters
    	}
    	building
    	{
    		type equestrian knights_stables
    	}
    	building
    	{
    		type missiles bowyer
    	}
    	building
    	{
    		type hinterland_castle_roads c_roads
    	}
    	building
    	{
    		type castle_siege c_catapult_range
    	}
    }
    The bolded piece of code should have read "large_town". In effect the settlement size does not match the size of the population and, (more importantly), the level of walls present. It's too small.

I'm afraid it won't be save game compatible, but if you guys want to keep going that's fine.

Is Palmero supposed to have 2 siege works allowing it to have 2 of each siege weapon in the recruitment slots? Pretty cool as it helped a lot.
    It's an error, another one in the Descr_Strat file i'm afraid.

I have made an effort to improve my relations with Venice, HRE and Poland to Good or better.
    It's Very Good for Trusted alliances BTW.

So far my staples of battle have been Militia Spearmen, Archers (peasant and those two Bosnian Archer units), merc Slavs, merc Bulgarian Brigands and my generals for cavalry. While HA are available and I have made good use of the 4 units of Hungarians nobles the council gave me, I have not felt the need to build more at this point. A least not of the grunt work of sieges. Plus getting my kingdom started and ready to go for the 31st turn has been pretty expensive.
    Thanks for that, looking forward to the post turn 30 reports too. Should get lively. The Stack sitting on your border in a fort is actually a defensive stack BTW. It's trying to make sure you don't think of invading THEM.

Byz feels, well, easy. Very. Compared to the Turks, or even the Egyptians. Byz doesn't have the huge distance to get started that Egypt does. Turkey too, though to a lesser degree. And the sea works more for Byz.
    I know what you mean, for me the previous phenomenon of swimming in money only helped exacerbate the issue. Any ideas what we could do to make it tougher on the player without borking up the AI?

Portugal and Milan woke up. Spain and France are snoring so loud I can hear them in Damascus. This time the jihad was on Jerusalem, so I'm waiting for the Egyptians to give up. Meanwhile, backfilling the interior regions back to Adana. The probably hit Edessa. Not sure about more. Am taking Tbilisi and Yerevan though. They have small garrisons. Baghdad and that other one probably do also though.
    Strange as Milan is one of the few factions that almost never stalls, and Portugal if it's going to wake up normally does it before then.

I suspect Spain and the Moor are breaking like waves on Valencia. But then Portugal is at war with the Moors too.
    Actually Spain normally goes after Zaragoza, usually gets it on the second attempt.

As for the Moors, it's probably being at war with Portugal thats doing it, they'll be putting a LOT of forces into defending their borders with obvious results.

I think the growth rate for castles is considerably too high now though. Cities seems not too bad.
    I'll look into it, the problem is that previously their where a number of castles, (Gaza being the first one I noticed, but also a number of the ones around Russian/Poland/Hungary/moors), that either only grew at 0.5%, or which would not grow at all, unless a Governor was used, that was an issue for AI and player alike.

That means I've got to be careful not to lower it too much.

I'm seeing a lot of military engineers again. It may be due to all the siege factories. Can we lower the odds on getting those by about 75%?
    I'll look into it.

Does the discipline make Kataphraktoi better than Latinkon? They get 2 less charge bonus but one more defense. Not a lot of differentiation, but not a lot of cost difference.
    The Kataphraktoi also have AP on their secondary attacks.

Latinkon are MUCH better chargers, but the Kataphraktoi are better in general melee. SO the Kataphraktoi are best used against enemy Cav whilst the Latinkon are better used for attacking infantry.

I'll have a fixed Descr_Strat file out in about 30 mins or so.
    Last edited by Carl; 04-11-2007 at 19:36.

Sorry about that. I had an error when I made the initial edit of the file and I've been tracking that down.

here it is.

I wouldn't worry about Byz being easy. It's good to have a variety. And making it harder for the player would probably "bork up" the AI.

Ah, okay, didn't see the AP difference on that cav. That makes them different.

As far as the sleepers go, as long as they aren't the same ones, or the same sleep times every game, no real issue. The problem is when they are like Sicily and always go into a coma and stay there until someone attacks them and kills them.

By the way, at turn 53 still no crusade called. Did you go overbaord on delaying the first one? I'd say turn 35-45 would be decent timing. But 50 is doable. Longer and you take the pressure off Egypt/Turkey/Byz.
    Last edited by vonsch; 04-11-2007 at 16:43.

Quote Originally Posted by vonsch
    I wouldn't worry about Byz being easy. It's good to have a variety. And making it harder for the player would probably "bork up" the AI..
    I completely agree... Making all the factions equally challenging for the player would evently drive you insane I am sure...

Quote Originally Posted by vonsch
    By the way, at turn 53 still no crusade called. Did you go overbaord on delaying the first one? I'd say turn 35-45 would be decent timing. But 50 is doable. Longer and you take the pressure off Egypt/Turkey/Byz.
    I got one in 110-something as did Bongaroo above... I think you just lucked out in your present game...

I completely agree... Making all the factions equally challenging for the player would eventually drive you insane I am sure...
    It already has. I just don't want any factions to be absolute pushovers in terms of difficulty.

I got one in 110-something as did Bongaroo above... I think you just lucked out in your present game...
    It isn't actually scriptable as it happens, so it's unmodified from last time, you must have just got lucky, (maybe Milan assassinated the ope LOL).

As far as the sleepers go, as long as they aren't the same ones, or the same sleep times every game, no real issue. The problem is when they are like Sicily and always go into a coma and stay there until someone attacks them and kills them.
    The main issue is when it happens to 2 faction is the same area.

For example of 2 out of France, HRE, Milan, and Venice go to sleep it completely messes up central and possibly western Europe.

Much the Same applies with 2 out of Portugal, Spain, and moors in Iberia, not to mention a stalled Iberia has bad knock on effect on Western Europe and the British Isles.

As you say it's not an issue have the odd faction go to sleep so long as it doesn't happen to the same faction each time and you don't get too many in one place.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl
    Sorry about that. I had an error when I made the initial edit of the file and I've been tracking that down.

here it is.

Sorry to state the obvious but this requires a new camping right??

Yeah, it's not save game compatible, sorry.

If you ant to keep playing your current campaign thats fine though, it's only minor bugs that are fixed and if you aren't going to be attacking Turkey while turn 50 or so it won't really effect you I don't think.

I did state it in this post but it was hidden amongst other stuff. So it's not suprisin you missed it.

I've now bolded it for clarity.
    Last edited by Carl; 04-11-2007 at 19:38.

*yawn* Well, the silly Eggies finally decided to attack me. The same turn their jihad finally laid siege to Jerusalem. Time to turn the east purple! Time to make the eastern Med a wine dark sea too. Their opening move was blockading several ports and besieging Damascus with a microstack. Scary.

And the Danes just made the Fwench vassals. I think you have the Fwench working right now. The first I hear from them they are surrendering!

Heh, the next turn the Egyptians are begging a ceasefire. I guess they miscalculated.

Turn 60 World Sitrep:

Lookit them kilties go!

Crusade finally on turn 62.
    Last edited by vonsch; 04-11-2007 at 20:02.

Heh, the next turn the Egyptians are begging a ceasefire. I guess they miscalculated.
    The Navel Invashions seem to follow a diffrent logic to land invashions so they'll start wars with Navel attacks when they have no hope of winning the war. As soon as they realise that, (i.e. next turn), they come begging for peace.

Lookit them kilties go!

, not bad.

And the Danes just made the Fwench vassals. I think you have the Fwench working right now. The first I hear from them they are surrendering!

If you can grab Sarskel and try to Buy/grab Bulgar off the ruskies, it's worth a small fortune with the gold up their.
    Last edited by Carl; 04-11-2007 at 19:55.

Well, the Eggies besieged Damascus the same turn, so it wasn't a purely naval thing. Then two turns later they lifted the siege and moved to Aleppo... or tried. Now their remnants are wandering the desert for 40 years.

Trying to make my co-religionists my pals. I need to go give them some foreign aid, I think. They are making inroads around the Baltic, I see, at Poland expense. Maybe they can counter the Danes some.

Very odd. For some reason all the Eggie armies are moving south or west. The jihad is on Jerusalem, and that army pulled up tents and headed to Alexandria (maybe good spies ) and another stack and some is heading to Jedda which they own. Are they trying to play defense? I am finally putting together a field army to beat up on them and they run off!

It's a bit of a crash army, not my planned one quite:

8 Byz Archers, 5 Byz Spears, 4 Byz Cav, 2 Varangian Guard, 1 10 star general . Gotta love those faction sons. I need to get some heavy cav cranking out, but haven't gotten that high on stables yet. Crashed for the archers as they are my Mongol defenders of castles and cities in the east. Since those archers can double nicely as assault infantry, I am gonna stay heavy on them, I think. And Byz Cav is pretty decent in a charge, especially into flanks and rear. But a couple heavy kats would be nice. Just to do some line crashing for a change. ...OH! That jihad army is Moorish, not Eggie. But the Eggs did haul off to Jedda. Odd.

Are dips supposed to get the Marco Polo ancilliary too? Mine has him.

Ooo, first time every I've heard a Scoootish princess. She's 9 charm too. And Egypt is back begging for peace. I haven't even taken a region from them yet, silly eggs.

Sheesh, 39% hereticism in one turn in Constantinople. I think it was an event of some sort. There's a 5 skill heretic there that I have no clue where he came from.

Something up with Mosul too. It shows as a castle on the building panel, but a fortress on the map, and it's not allowing the citadel upgrade. Wait, may just be a display issue. 9k for citadel, not there yet. But there is a mismatch on buildings versus map.
    Last edited by vonsch; 04-11-2007 at 20:47.

Well, the Eggies besieged Damascus the same turn, so it wasn't a purely naval thing.
    The AI does navel stuff before land stuff so it will have started the war because of the messed up navel AI and then the land A will have kicked in and made them send the micro stack.

Those armies moving around will be because Egypt probably doesn't have enough troops for an invasion, (when considered from the AI decisions point of view), so they are moving to take up defensive positions.

Are dips supposed to get the Marco Polo ancillary too? Mine has him.
    No, i thought that had been fixed GARRRRRR.

Ooo, first time every I've heard a Scottish princess. She's 9 charm too.
    Cute aren't they .

Personally I love the Scots just for their voices myself.

Something up with Mosul too. It shows as a castle on the building panel, but a fortress on the map, and it's not allowing the citadel upgrade.
    I'll look into it.

Started a vh/vh campaign as Poland. Took the king and his troops north to besiege thorn, and the other two generals south to Iazi. Starved them both out. Council wanted me to take Vilnius so got a crusade against it -- took the king's stack + some Polish nobles over and starved it out too (king is now 10/10/10/10 with 2 named ancillaries). Russia had softened Vilnius and had another stack on the way... it'll be interesting to see how they respond now. Took the other two generals up to Kiev and began the process of starving it out. Its around turn 15 now.

Plan is hold Russia back from the valuable lands on the North Sea and to have them stagnate with control of the NE corner. Giving 100/turn to HRE + Denmark with diplomats to try to form two trusted alliances to hold my western borders. My expansion plan is to roll over Hungary (hopefully after they aggress) and to eventually expand far enough to take Constantinople. Essentially, I want the western Baltic and the North Eastern Med, leaving the Mongols and the Timurids to the Russians and the Turks.

So, thoughts:

- Growth seems very reasonable -- Castles and cities with basic farming and trading improvements get 2-2.5% with normal taxes and no governor... feels right.

- With the larger rebel garrisons and the murderous siege fortications of eastern europe (the inset castle gate covered by four towers), starving out the enemy is an extremely attractive proposition. Is it possible for you to increase the number of turns needed to starve out a city? As it is, even with the siege work, I'd prefer to force a sally, which I usually can deal with losing only 20-30 men, as opposed to 200-300 for storming.

- Some thing is odd with priests at the moment. I have currently have 2 small churches and two chapels and can only support two priests (the starting cardinal + 1 other). Did you maybe forget to have chapels add to the agent limit? It hurts a bit due to the starting paganism in Eastern Europe.

- Starting cash from normal sources is decent (500-1000 turn profit), but the diplomacy is making it too easy. I've gone to all the other Catholic factions (except Hungary, who I'm planning on taking out eventually) and given Alliance/Trade Rights/Map Info for 500 florins for 5 turns. To date, this has been giving me usually an extra 2000 florins/turn or so and has made recruitment very easy (I have filled up all my free garrisons and have a half stack of Polish nobles between my two armies). Can the AI be made a bit more tight-fisted?

- Lastly, polish nobles really shouldn't be available until post-Fortress. They're just way too good to get at the basic Castle level. The other early polish troops are plenty good (archers with stakes, competent militias, other light cav).

Having a blast. Thanks for all your hard work.

Aaron

Plan is hold Russia back from the valuable lands on the North Sea and to have them stagnate with control of the NE corner.
    Be aware that Bulgar has Gold deposits and starts as a town, so between trade, mines, and merchants the Rus could easily make 4-5K a turn up that way, so your going to have a hard time making them stagnate.

- With the larger rebel garrisons and the murderous siege fortifications of eastern Europe (the inset castle gate covered by four towers), starving out the enemy is an extremely attractive proposition. Is it possible for you to increase the number of turns needed to starve out a city? As it is, even with the siege work, I'd prefer to force a sally, which I usually can deal with losing only 20-30 men, as opposed to 200-300 for storming.
    I'll find out if I can.

- Some thing is odd with priests at the moment. I have currently have 2 small churches and two chapels and can only support two priests (the starting cardinal + 1 other). Did you maybe forget to have chapels add to the agent limit? It hurts a bit due to the starting paganism in Eastern Europe.
    Chapels purposefully don't add to the priest limit, but higher level City Church levels do. 6 total for a huge Cathedral I think, maybe 7. So build the next level of Churches in 2 settlements and you'll get another 2 priests available.

- Starting cash from normal sources is decent (500-1000 turn profit), but the diplomacy is making it too easy. I've gone to all the other Catholic factions (except Hungary, who I'm planning on taking out eventually) and given Alliance/Trade Rights/Map Info for 500 florins for 5 turns. To date, this has been giving me usually an extra 2000 florins/turn or so and has made recruitment very easy (I have filled up all my free garrisons and have a half stack of Polish nobles between my two armies). Can the AI be made a bit more tight-fisted?
    The 1.2 patch unofficial files have given me a few ideas on how diplomacy works, so I should be able to make it more tight fisted now but I want to wait and see what 1.2 does here first.

- Lastly, polish nobles really shouldn't be available until post-Fortress. They're just way too good to get at the basic Castle level. The other early polish troops are plenty good (archers with stakes, competent militias, other light Cav).
    Thanks for the warning. What do you suggest i put their instead then?

Heh, so I take Alexandria. The usual one general garrison. I even sack it. Still has 25k pop. My army is stuck there for a while I guess. The whole army is a mere 50% garrison force. Should have killed all those muslims!

The general is a corrupt, slave to superstition, utterly stoic, bender of the truth with 10 stars and 1 piety. He may be 4 chivalry, but I think he could handle the guilt... what guilt?

On the starve them out thing, since you're increasing the number of turns, you could increase the siege-to-starve limit proportionately... assuming you CAN change it.
    Last edited by vonsch; 04-11-2007 at 21:26.

assuming you CAN change it.
    Thats the problem, I don't know if you can, and if you can I don't know how.

I've dropped a question in the modding forums though.

Did you slip in some 1.2 pre-release files? The Morco Polo thing is unfixed in that, if so. I just saw it remains a bug in 1.2.

Nope, I've actually created my own Traits file that is 1.2 compatible and that is a mix of the existing one and the 1.2 patch file as the 1.2 patch misses a few things that are bugs and includes a lot of "dubious" stuff. However I have included elements of the 1.2 pre-release files too.

However this edited file is NOT in V1.24 as it removes the anti-traits fix which the 1.2 patch now fixes itself in the hardocde.

What in the world did you do to the Scotish?

I am trying a game as the English and Scotland had a go at York and Dublin, and they are at war with the French having taken Antwerp and Burges!!

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast