Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hellenic influences on the Casse

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Hellenic influences on the Casse

Several of my Casse generals have received a logographos ancillary: isn't this one supposed to be for Hellens only? Also, I noticed that several buildings in the cities surrounding the Casse, most often the MIC but sometimes also the Homeland resource, have a Western-Greek culture tag.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Default Re: Hellenic influences on the Casse

The western greek thing seems to be a result of the campaign script. Buildings placed by the script are often displayed as 'Western Greek'. This seems to be just something that happens.

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Hellenic influences on the Casse

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    The western greek thing seems to be a result of the campaign script. Buildings placed by the script are often displayed as 'Western Greek'. This seems to be just something that happens.
    Does the script place MICs as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens
    Does the script place MICs as well?
    Yes, many of them. The script places a lot of the buildings. If you go into the strat file that normally has all the buildings, you'll find many of them that are there when you start a new game missing. It is quite confusing if you are seeking to mod EB and don't know how it works.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    Yes, many of them. The script places a lot of the buildings. If you go into the strat file that normally has all the buildings, you'll find many of them that are there when you start a new game missing. It is quite confusing if you are seeking to mod EB and don't know how it works.
    I see. Incidentally, what are the requirements of Casse Chariots and cavalry? I don't seem to be able to build them, even with a level III MIC.

Think you get them after the first reforms, around 240BC iirc. All you can get is skirmisher cavalry though, think you get some belgian heavy cavalry after the second reforms in one of the belgian provinces, not sure if you can recruit the Brihentin at all.

Yeah even the big trade port in Carthage seems to be Western Greek instead of Semetic ... their influence is impressive. But this one I assume is a bug.

We have really really tried to figure out why that (Western Greek) pops up on buildings placed by descr_strat.txt so often and sometimes even with those placed by script. Only at the start of the game though. We have no idea, except that it has something to do with edb.txt. I think it is something hardcoded that we have never been made aware of. We are trying still to minimize the places that do that, but with further work on edb.txt, it keeps happening, so while things are still being improved you still might see it around.

Post Re: Hellenic influences on the Casse

Could this possibly be because of the rebel faction being Western Greek Teleklos Archelaou? I'm probably wrong, I am stupid after all, especially when it comes to modding, yet for some very strange unknown reason I seem to think that it could be effecting the issue.
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 03-13-2007 at 18:25.
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

I see. Incidentally, what are the requirements of Casse Chariots and cavalry? I don't seem to be able to build them, even with a level III MIC.
    I think you can get them in L4 or L5 Faction MIC in your capital. I don't know if you can get them anywhere else though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teleklos Archelaou
    We have really really tried to figure out why that (Western Greek) pops up on buildings placed by descr_strat.txt so often and sometimes even with those placed by script. Only at the start of the game though. We have no idea, except that it has something to do with edb.txt. I think it is something hardcoded that we have never been made aware of. We are trying still to minimize the places that do that, but with further work on edb.txt, it keeps happening, so while things are still being improved you still might see it around.
    I thought the buildings from the "descr_strat.txt" had the correct culture and only the ones placed by the script have the wrong (WGreek) culture.

Well a port is not a 'cultural' building in the way it affects public order as having another cultures temples in your province is it?

As far as the MIC's are concerned I don't know if they have that affect either ... but it would make for some strange enemies in regions where you would never expect them.

We had the problem with some of our port buildings until we add "all" instead of listing all the factions in requires factions list of a given building level. That is one clue. I have also had the problem pop up on a level when I did not touch it at all, but I did move a new level in between the starting one and it. I mean to say that the market level (2nd in vanilla) in the market complex was moved to the 3rd position and a new intermediate level was put in its place (only for nomads). This made all markets in the game become western greek when placed by descr_strat.txt. We have to have that change, so I'll have to move by hand all markets from descr_strat.txt to campaign_script.txt instead (gah). I have no idea what causes this at all, but indeed it could be related to the default culture. It just seems like it's more complex than that alone. This one has given us fits, believe me.

Blog Entries

Another observation: the Fortress Temple to Crom Cruag/Dagda gives +20% happines and +2 morale, but the Fortress Temple to Succellos gives +20% happiness, +2 morale and +10% law. Is there a hidden advantage to building temples to Crom Cruag or is this an oversight? IIRC one of the Makedonian temple complexes had a similar problem.

I have heard there have been far off foreign traders that traded with the Brithons

Blog Entries

I guess I am turning this into Ludens' bug thread: Ivernis had the alliances resource, not the expansion one like indicated on the Casse governement map.

EB Traitor Member BozosLiveHere's Avatar

Several of my Casse generals have received a logographos ancillary: isn't this one supposed to be for Hellens only?
    Not exclusively, but I don't think barbarians should be getting it either. They can have the Historian ancillary instead. Thanks.

Megas Alexandros's heir Member Spoofa's Avatar

i seem to remember reading somthing about greek trader's going through the strait of Gibraltar to trade with "strange islands" in the north, or somthing..... I dont really have a source because i dont remember where i heard that, lol just thought I would throw my .02 $ in there.

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

The Phoenicians and Greeks both sailed as far as the British Isles in search of tin for use in bronze by what I've heard - ain't nuttin' a merchant wouldn't do for a profit, as usual. Plus some of the EB Goidil unit descriptions for example mention imported Carhaginian armour...

Must've sucked sailing over the Bay of Biscay with Mediterranean naval tech though.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Blog Entries

The Casse lvl 3 commercial harbour has a "should not be visible - please report this error" building description. Both building images are eastern, not barbarian so I am guessing the Casse aren't supposed to build this.

In my campaign, several German towns have "Bog roads" in addition to normal ones. Is this intentional?

The Germanic market does not have a name.

After expending their ammunition, Casse chariots lose their swords (they were accidentally on guard mode, but I don't see how this could be related). It didn't appear to impair their fighting efficiency, though.

Another weapon issue: Spartan hoplite's spears don't show up in the right lenght when the Spartans are marching.

Lastly, I can't recruit Midland spearmen until the first Celtic reforms. Why aren't these units available? They seem a typical "time of freemen" unit.

Blog Entries

The Casse lvl 3 commercial harbour has a "should not be visible - please report this error" building description. Both building images are eastern, not barbarian so I am guessing the Casse aren't supposed to build this.
    Dito for the "extensive large trading port upgrade", except that there is no "should not be visible"-text there.

Trairii helmets still look odd in middle distance:

Polybian Hastati use the Polybian Principes sprite:

BTW, why are you still using the old model for the Casse family members on the campaign map?
    Last edited by Ludens; 03-31-2007 at 16:51.

Blog Entries

Another question: why do Celtic units have a standard bearer in front of the officer? With all other cultures it is the other way round.

Blog Entries

Also, the Casse do not seem able to build the highest level of academy. It aparently requires a "great forum", which they cannot construct.

The high king's court in Bagacos cannot recruit anything but diplomats. Perhaps this is because Bagacos cannot recruit lugoa, but I thought it should recruit at least one unit type to prevent CTD's.

I don't know if Bagacos has Casse culture or not (can't check right now), we have restricted palace recruitment to those factions each settlement can rebel to, which is native faction owner, native culture and eleutheroi. If indeed Bagacos can rebel to Casse it's a bug, otherwise it's as intended.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Not sure if these are bugs but Uachtarach duboGaiscaocha are only recruitable by the Casse, Aedui and Averni in a level 5 faction mic which none of them can build in the provinces they're available in. Also Ivernis only allows type 3 and 4 govs for the casse while most of gaul and northern iberia allows type 2's

Also, the Casse do not seem able to build the highest level of academy. It aparently requires a "great forum", which they cannot construct.

The high king's court in Bagacos cannot recruit anything but diplomats. Perhaps this is because Bagacos cannot recruit lugoa, but I thought it should recruit at least one unit type to prevent CTD's.
    Thank you Ludens. I don't think we had noticed this. I don't see any other option other than to make the ludus_magnus requirement in the market complex the 'forum' building instead of the 'great forum' level. Gauls don't have that great forum level. This won't make ludus magnus available at the same time a scriptorium is available though - there is still the settlement size requirement. I don't know of any other option other than making it require forum instead of great forum. Otherwise we'll never see a whole building we made.

Wait, it's still not buildable, as 'large city' is not for barbs. Hmmm. May need to bump these academic buildings down a town level each.
    Last edited by Teleklos Archelaou; 04-17-2007 at 05:53.

Questor of AI revenue. Member The Errant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Teleklos Archelaou
    Thank you Ludens. I don't think we had noticed this. I don't see any other option other than to make the ludus_magnus requirement in the market complex the 'forum' building instead of the 'great forum' level. Gauls don't have that great forum level. This won't make ludus magnus available at the same time a scriptorium is available though - there is still the settlement size requirement. I don't know of any other option other than making it require forum instead of great forum. Otherwise we'll never see a whole building we made.

Wait, it's still not buildable, as 'large city' is not for barbs. Hmmm. May need to bump these academic buildings down a town level each.
    I don't think the Sabaeans can build a higher learning center than Scriptorium at all. The only Akademia level buildings they get are the ones they conquer from other factions.

"If you listen, carefully. You can hear the Gods laughing."

Last words of Emperor Commodus. From "The Fall of the Roman Empire".

Bagacos can only rebel to Aedui and eleutheroi, so it's good.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Saba doesn't have access to a level 3 academy building on purpose. Getai and Lusotannan and Sweboz and nomadic factions don't have that complex at all.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Another weapon issue: Spartan hoplite's spears don't show up in the right lenght when the Spartans are marching.
    This is the case for Hoplitai and Hoplitai Haploi as well. I don't think it's really bothersome, though.

In my campaign, several German towns have "Bog roads" in addition to normal ones. Is this intentional?

The Germanic market does not have a name.
    We don't have a graphic for that third level of barbarian trade port, but I'll reduplicate the second level for now - that will be in the next update. Maybe we'll try to make a new one though. Thanks for cluing me in on that one.

I can't see there is a problem with the german market. Maybe I fixed it earlier and forgot. It looks fine to me.

Those bog roads are just unique buildings that give trade boosts. They were short roads to and from river ports and industrial sites and other such places usually. They don't affect regular roads at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast