Thread: Mercenary, Regional & Foreign units

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Mercenary, Regional & Foreign units

GREEK MERCENARIES

Greek Hoplites

I modelled a separate part for the "linotorax" cuirass; the shape of the new part allows to set the pteruges (the lower fringes) in the actual right position to cover the abdomen and the pelvis, and not over the legs.

Greek Ekdromoi (light) Hoplites

I provided also a new part for the "perizoma" (abdominal protection) which is now separate from the tunic and has a more rigid look than the draps of the tunic.

Greek Peltastai
    The shape and the decorations of the shield are in the style of the Thracian pelte wich become very popular among the Greek light troops.

Rhodian Slingers
    I added also a kopis to the equipment of these light missile troops, since I supposed that well payed mercenaries like the Rhodians could afford some effective weapons to defend themselves if attacked in close combat.

Cretan Archers
    What distinguished the Cretan archer from his common counterpart was the bronze round shield. Shielded archers are depicted but rarely in Greek art, sometimes the shield looks as large as the hoplon, other times just smaller as the pelte. Often these archers have also the helmet, like the Chalcidian one used in our model that I drafted from a vase of the "Altamura painter". Following the hypothesis advanced by N.V. Sekunda I provided black tunics for our Cretans.

SPARTAN HOPLITES

Ekdromoi Hoplitai Lakedaimonoi - Spartan lower class light hoplites (perioikoi, neodamodeis, hypomeiones)

Hoplitai Lakedaimonoi - Spartan lower class hoplites (perioikoi, neodamodeis, hypomeiones)

Hoplitai Spartiatai - Spartan full citizens hoplites.

Models & skins by Luciano B. Thanks to Topus Magnus who provided his wonderful leather cuirass used in our "Hoplitai Lakedaimonoi".
    Last edited by Luciano B; 06-06-2007 at 14:47.

project creator & director

Default Re: Mercenary, Regional & Foreign units

SICULI

Sicel spearmen

Sicel light infantry

Sicel cavalry

SICANI

Sicanian Infantry

ELYMI

Elymian Peltasts

Elymian Hoplites
    Last edited by Luciano B; 06-06-2007 at 14:49.

CAMPANI

Campanian light spearmen

Campanian heavy spearmen

Campanian cavalry

Campanian heavy cavalry
    Last edited by Luciano B; 06-06-2007 at 14:50.

ILLYRIAN WARRIORS

Northern Illyrian spearmen, with Negau type helmet and oval shield

Northern Illyrian light infantry, with light axe, squared shield, and helmet reinforced by metal studs and disk, often referred as the "Smarteja" type

Northern Illyrian cavalry, equipped with javelins, axe and pot helmet, as depicted in the Vače belt; leather corslet reinforced by metal studs.

Southern Illyrian swordmen, with the typical curved sword and a late version of the "Illyrian" helmet; detail of the curved sword and of the scabbard

Southern Illyrian spearmen, with Greek greaves, Macedonian-style round shield and early type "Illyrian" helmet

Southern Illyrian cavalry; weapons and shield form the Gradista relief; helmet of Macedonian Type with a flat metal crest (similar to the one found in Lake Ochrida on the Illyrian-Macedonian border, inscribed with the name of the Ilyrian king Monunios)
    Last edited by Luciano B; 06-06-2007 at 14:50.

PICENTES

Heavy Infantry

Light Infantry

Cavalry
    Last edited by Luciano B; 06-06-2007 at 14:51.

FRENTANI

Spearmen

Light Infantry

Horsemen
    Last edited by Luciano B; 06-06-2007 at 14:52.