Thread: Unit Texture resolution

Default Unit Texture resolution

Can this be changed? If I save a texture at a higher resolution than normal, will it still wrap the model correctly? What would be the effect on performance?
    Last edited by adembroski; 03-16-2007 at 02:29.

Default Re: Unit Texture resolution

Resolution in itself has no sense.

It is always related to a medium of reproduction being it paper or the PC screen.

What is used for textures is size in pixels, not resolution.

In 3d games most of the textures have predetermined sizes (usually powers of 2) because so they can be loaded into graphic cards memories very fast. Some progamsd allow the modders to change the size till it stays a power fo 2, others can't, and anyway you'd have to reskin the model because the textures will not be referenced correctly anymore during the 3d rendering.

This last operation cannot be done yet till a converter is lacking, because for doing it you need to import the model into a 3d program, retexturing it, and then exporting it back in a format MTW2 can use.

Normally this wouldnt be a problem as the uv co-ords are on a 0-1 scale and changing the texture size has no effect on this as long as you use the same width/height ratio as the original, however the .mesh files use two textures which are treated as one for uv purposes so you'd have to increase the size of the attachment set texture as well. Its pretty pointless doing this though as the engine will just use the mipmap closest in size to whats been displayed on screen so unless you're running at an insane resolution and zoomed in really close you're just wasting texture memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Casuir
    Normally this wouldnt be a problem as the uv co-ords are on a 0-1 scale and changing the texture size has no effect on this as long as you use the same width/height ratio as the original, however the .mesh files use two textures which are treated as one for uv purposes so you'd have to increase the size of the attachment set texture as well. Its pretty pointless doing this though as the engine will just use the mipmap closest in size to whats been displayed on screen so unless you're running at an insane resolution and zoomed in really close you're just wasting texture memory.

Gotcha. I guess I was feeling romantic:P I got a look at some of the preview shots R:TR is releasing and they just look amazing... and with the intricacies of Solamnic armor, it'd be nice to recreate that, but I guess it's not really going to be appreciated anyways.