Thread: The Hello Thread - Read! (vitally Important!)

Default The Hello Thread - Read! (vitally Important!)

Enough is enough!

There are simply too many threads in the Entrance Hall with people just saying "Hi, look at me, I'm special, welcome me so I can feel more special."

This thread is designed as one where you can post your hellos in here! Ok?

There. I have a happy/insane side, but also an angry/serious side.

Caz
    Long live the King of the Chipmunks, whose name I cannot pronounce in English, but is something along these lines...

Achumungi-Yngilbuvvyurdmunt

Post Re: The Hello Thread - Read! (vitally Important!)

Hi Lord Cazaric,
    We already have one of these great threads here!
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

Still warlusting... Member Warluster's Avatar

Default Re: The Hello Thread - Read! (vitally Important!)

Also, if you are to lazy to click on that link, kindly donated by Omanes, its called the Introduction thread. RIght now we are up to a version 3, number 4 is years away!

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Also conveniently bellow in my sig.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Rythmic
    Also conveniently bellow in my sig.
    Yes, Actually I've stopped answering all the "hello threads". While I still do it when I find a nice "hello", I'm starting to be a bit annoyed to see that so many new threads every dayare just "hi there" threads.

I don't know if this is something done to say "look I'm special", though, I'll say that it's more something done without thinking.

Thanks for raising this up Lord Cazaric!
    Last edited by Caerfanan; 03-16-2007 at 11:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Omanes Alexandrapolites the Idiot
    Hi Lord Cazaric,
    We already have one of these great threads here!
    Aw, Omanes! I think that Lord Cazaric was actually saying something like "please use the "hello guys" thread instead of creating 12 new ones everyday!"

Handler of candles Member Xehh II's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cazaric
    Enough is enough!

There are simply too many threads in the Entrance Hall with people just saying "Hi, look at me, I'm special, welcome me so I can feel more special."

This thread is designed as one where you can post your hellos in here! Ok?

There. I have a happy/insane side, but also an angry/serious side.

Caz
    I agree there are far to many stupid "hello" threads that waste more space than me, and I waste alot of space.
    A ha ha! Rainbows and unicorns! Rainbows and unicorns!

Default Re: The Hello Thread - Read! (vitally Unimportant!)

I believe that a 1 post thread takes up as much space in the database as a post in a thread, so the issue of wasting space is a non issue.

Also I'm not sure if that's the right kind of attitude to exhibit towards junior members, especially seeing as you are still among their number.

Last edited by caravel; 03-16-2007 at 13:36.

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caravel
    I believe that a 1 post thread takes up as much space in the database as a post in a thread, so the issue of wasting space is a non issue.

Also I'm not sure if that's the right kind of attitude to exhibit towards junior members, especially seeing as you are still among their number.
    I agree.

Some people are not familiar with the way that forums work and they don't always look at the stickies or read the forum rules.

But still, they have the decency to introduce themselves and since they missed the sticky, they open a new thread for that. I don't see the big problem. They are just trying to be friendly and to get to know other members of the Org.

This thread disappoints me a bit since it seems rather unfriendly towards junior members.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree with Lord Cazaric that there are way too many "hello" threads, when I posted here there were nine in a row on the front page. I find it annoying that there are so many threads devoted to a single new member when there's already one for all of them. I guess I just don't like scrolling through the first page only to find that half of them are "hello" threads that don't really pertain to TW gameplay.

However, I think a politer reminder would be in order, some new members might not be aware of the intros thread so cut them a little slack IMO. Just a "hey, any new members who want to intro themselves can go here" would be good.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Post Re: The Hello Thread - Read! (vitally Unimportant!)

Quote Originally Posted by AndresTheCunning
    Some people are not familiar with the way that forums work and they don't always look at the stickies or read the forum rules.
    Yep, I agree there. The day I turned up I hardly had any idea how to post (it took me one hour to do that) and then, when I finally did manage, it took me another half hour of clicking buttons and playing around with the bar before I could actually work out how to change my avatar (or that picture thing under my user name as I knew it then) and my profile and took me another day to find out what this "PM" stuff was and even worse, it took me half a day to find the invisible mode button so I could play Seamus' Mafia Game! Ah well, although it was a hard life being both an idiot and a noob, I (sort of) get it all now!
    But still, they have the decency to introduce themselves and since they missed the sticky, they open a new thread for that. I don't see the big problem. They are just trying to be friendly and to get to know other members of the Org.
    Yep, I did that, I just wanted to get to know everybody like everybody here does, you can find my thread here - it's like opening the door of a house of somebody whom you don't know and just walking in - that can be quite impolite from the view of individual who owns the house, or lives there even. This story has plenty of symbolism in it BTW - the .org is the house, the members are the "owners" and those who live there.
    This thread disappoints me a bit since it seems rather unfriendly towards junior members.
    I agree with you here too. You have said everything that I was going to place in my original post that I yet wanted to avoid saying out of risk of offending Lord Cazaric. Sadly, this sort of thread alienates our dear new members and convinces them into thinking about going elsewhere to discuss TW games, which is such a terrible shame as 90% of the Org is perfectly friendly and fuzzy.
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 03-16-2007 at 21:14.

Marcus Arbaces Alexandros Member Arbaces's Avatar

Hello Lord Cazaric! Welcome to the Org!

Quote Originally Posted by Caerfanan
    Yes, Actually I've stopped answering all the "hello threads". While I still do it when I find a nice "hello", I'm starting to be a bit annoyed to see that so many new threads every dayare just "hi there" threads.
    You know what? Ironically enough, I would have to agree with you when it comes to this. As a matter of fact I tend not to like making these types of threads, but I felt like this was an exception. The problem with them for me is the fact that It's not so much that they take up too much space as I just can't keep up with and respond to ever Hello thread and sound legitimate at the same time if you know what I mean?

Yes, it's not because they waste memory or whatever it is you're saying, it's because they flood the Entrance Hall, making all the other threads get pushed to the bottom and, eventually, off the page.

And as to the matter of not siding with my fellow junior members, I'd put an administrator in his place if he was messing around. Even if I do get banned for it.
    Long live the King of the Chipmunks, whose name I cannot pronounce in English, but is something along these lines...

Post Re: The Hello Thread - Read! (vitally Important!)

Hi Lord Cazaric,
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cazaric
    And as to the matter of not siding with my fellow junior members, I'd put an administrator in his place if he was messing around. Even if I do get banned for it.
    May I request that you please do me the kind honour of re-phrasing that comment - unfortunately, my tiny and feeble brain cannot seem to understand what you desire to say. Sorry. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Caravel

That's what I was talking about. I don't care if they're junior members, members, moderators, or administrators, I'll treat them all the same thank you very much.

Post Re: The Hello Thread - Read! (vitally Unimportant!)

Thankyou very much for explaining yourself Lord Cazaric. Please, may I request, that you relax, clam down, and discuss this tomorrow once everything has cooled off. I'm sorry to be like this, this is not my normal approach, yet, I am sorry to say that, I am rather afraid that this thread could turn into something quite nasty if we allow it to continue onward in this reasonably hostile manner. Thanks.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Easy, guys. Let's all take a deep breath and relax.

I agree that the multiple "hello" threads can be a bit much, but it's definitely not worth getting all steamed up over the matter. While junior members are strongly encouraged to introduce themselves in this thread (the same one as in my sig) in order to cut down on "clutter" in the Entrance Hall, we certainly don't want them to feel reluctant to speak up at all either.

I'd much rather see 10 new "Hello" threads every day than have the Hail new members! thread dry up.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Just to add my little bit:

It really makes a difference if a forum has a greeting area-you feel lost without it. The Guild has made this , the Entrance Hall , for that purpose.

Personally I ve never found it irritating to find so many Hello threads here-in fact I find it heartwarming to see new members are still joining even from the forum index.

I think its a matter of organization, since the Entrance Hall is not only used for greetings but for new members to post as well which can lead to a lot of threads mixed up with the Hello ones.

I ve been on forums on supposedly highbrow topics (notably Classical Music) where the level of abuse and politeness is questionable to put it mildly. Here, at the Org, I ve seen nothing but courtesy and well-meaning enthusiasm-even in a heated discussion such as this.
    A single leaf falls,
    then suddenly another,
    stolen by the breeze

RANSETSU (1654-1707)

You know what I find funny? nearly all the people who said they agreed that it was quite annoying that a new thread was opened came in 2007. How ironic.

Except you of course Omanes.

Of course it is a bit silly all this complaining about it is annoying that new members keep posting Hello. It keep the place alive, buzzing at all moment, and it gives people who might get overlooked in the Hail New Members thread to be heard.

RM3

That's all very well, but every damn message is the same! And every response to it!

You may as well just make 20 clones of one Hello thread and you'll have the Entrance Hall!

Caz

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Calm down.

Take a break, or just stop posting in this thread. If you start abusing people, you will not get a very good reaction.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Welcome to the totalwar.org forums Lord Cazaric.
    Ja mata

TosaInu