Thread: How to Win with a New Faction

Philosophically Inclined Member CountMRVHS's Avatar

Default How to Win with a New Faction

Hello,

What needs to be done to ensure that a faction I've created for VI will actually be able to win the game?

I've made a mod for the Viking map and created several new factions, but I just realized you can't win with any of the new ones. It *is* possible to win as one of the original Viking factions (Scots, Picts, etc.), so I guess there's something I'm missing. Conquering all of the provinces required for victory (I narrowed down the list of provinces that would "count" for victory by switching many provinces to FALSE in startpos) will result in your typical victory screen for any of the old factions, but I get no notification at all for my new factions - there's no crash, but there's no closure either, which would be nice.

Any ideas?

Default Re: How to Win with a New Faction

Probably a dumb question from me, but did you create endgame file in MedievalTotal War\campmap\GameEnd\Vikings folder?

Not a dumb question at all - in fact that's something I just noticed in the past few days (wasn't mentioned in any of the guides I've used to make new factions).

In that folder, there's a list of BIF files, from FN_01_WIN.BIF (Irish) to FN_08_WIN.BIF (Welsh).

I figured I could just copy the Welsh one and rename it FN_09_WIN.BIF for my new faction, FN_09, the Dumnonians. I assume it would mean I'd get the Welsh victory screen, but since I don't know how to make new BIF files that would have to do.

Maybe it's not enough to just copy and rename existing WIN.BIFs? What else do I need to do? When you say "create endgame file", for example, what exactly do you mean? Copying/renaming, or something more involved?

Thanks!

CountMRVHS

I think that is enough. Try it and you will see.

Actually, all this endgame screens are the same for all factions in Viking Invasion:)

Thanks, it seems to be working now.

Apparently you need to conquer 100% of all provinces that "count" toward victory in order for the victory message to come up -- you can't win a 2/3 victory, in other words. No big deal.

Apparently you also need to have at least 3 provinces count toward victory in order for the victory message to appear - I tried it last night with only 2 provinces switched to "TRUE" in startpos, and nothing. Oh well.

You're right that the victory screen is the same -- it's just a matter of the shield pattern on the walls in the background being different.

Anyway, thanks!

CountMRVHS