Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Units...

Host Member Maeda Path Champion, Arkanoid Champion, 3D SuperBall Champion, Simon Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Breakout Champion Zain's Avatar

Default Units...

Hey guys,

I've been working on giving Dismounted Gothic Knights to the Scots (where I will change their name to something else, which I haven't decided) I went into Export_desc_unit.txt and made Scotland their owner, and not the HRE. Then I edited their stats for them to be more elite. I also gave Scotland the Dismounted Gothic Knights small symbol, which is working. I edited the export_units.txt page for something more appropriate for a Scottish elite force as well. Whenever I booted the game up the soldiers had no texture and the changes I had made in the export_units.txt page and export_desc_unit.txt did not show itself. Also the portrait of the unit was of a peasant...

I need help with these aspects...

1. Giving the Scots the Dismounted Gothic Knights Unit Info picture.

2. Giving the Scots the Dismounted Gothic Knights soldier texture for the battlemap.

3. Changing the name of the Dismounted Gothic Knights to something else...

4. Why didn't the unit stats and description change any?

I changed the alpha files and booted the game from the original .exe.

-Thanks guys!

Host Member Maeda Path Champion, Arkanoid Champion, 3D SuperBall Champion, Simon Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Breakout Champion Zain's Avatar

Default Re: Units...

I just fixed #1, but I'm stuck on 2-4. .............

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Zain
    Hey guys,

I've been working on giving Dismounted Gothic Knights to the Scots (where I will change their name to something else, which I haven't decided) I went into Export_desc_unit.txt and made Scotland their owner, and not the HRE. Then I edited their stats for them to be more elite. I also gave Scotland the Dismounted Gothic Knights small symbol, which is working. I edited the export_units.txt page for something more appropriate for a Scottish elite force as well. Whenever I booted the game up the soldiers had no texture and the changes I had made in the export_units.txt page and export_desc_unit.txt did not show itself. Also the portrait of the unit was of a peasant...

I need help with these aspects...

1. Giving the Scots the Dismounted Gothic Knights Unit Info picture.

2. Giving the Scots the Dismounted Gothic Knights soldier texture for the battlemap.

3. Changing the name of the Dismounted Gothic Knights to something else...

4. Why didn't the unit stats and description change any?

I changed the alpha files and booted the game from the original .exe.

-Thanks guys!
    There is a great thread that covers most of this :-

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=75706

cheers

GrumypOldMan

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan
    Hi

There is a great thread that covers most of this :-

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=75706

cheers

GrumypOldMan
    Thank you for the reference, but that thread is already another window on my desktop. You see, this thread is about adding a new unit, while I'm just trying to make one completely usable for another, and I'm afraid I'm not "mod savvy" enough to fill in the holes just yet. So please, if you know how to help me directly, please do so. I've already followed that thread as much as I can...

-Zain

Where's Alpaca when you need him?

Come on guys, help me out please

Harbinger of... saliva Member alpaca's Avatar

Easy answer: Copy the textures and ui pics (have a look at data/unit_models and data/ui)
    As for the changes not showing up: Maybe you screwed?
    Check if the strings bin was regenerated, but changes in edu should definitely show up.

I scanned unit_models for Gothic in the name or description and I found nothing that was in HRE that wasn't in Scotland... I'm scanning the entire Data folder for Gothic now, I'll get back to you.

The only difference I found were Sprites... I'll see what this does.

It did nothing, I'll keep playing around with this stuff though.

#1 are you using the file first .bat
    #2 did u make the changes necessary in the model.db
    #3 you have to edit the name of the unit in export_units & unit.text

25 dismounted_gothic_knights
    1 4
    73 unit_models/_Units/LN_Gothic_RN_Plate/dismounted_gothic_knights_lod0.mesh 121
    73 unit_models/_Units/LN_Gothic_RN_Plate/dismounted_gothic_knights_lod1.mesh 900
    73 unit_models/_Units/LN_Gothic_RN_Plate/dismounted_gothic_knights_lod2.mesh 2500
    73 unit_models/_Units/LN_Gothic_RN_Plate/dismounted_gothic_knights_lod3.mesh 6400
    8 scotland
    77 unit_models/_Units/LN_Gothic_RN_Plate/textures/LN_gothic_RN_plate_hre.texture
    80 unit_models/_Units/LN_Gothic_RN_Plate/textures/LN_gothic_RN_plate_normal.texture
    53 unit_sprites/hre_Dismounted_Gothic_Knights_sprite.spr
    8 scotland
    56 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Heater_hre_diff.texture
    56 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Heater_hre_norm.texture 0
    4 None
    21 MTW2_Slow_2HSwordsman 0
    24 MTW2_2HSwordsman_Primary 0
    16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

you shouldn't have to change the texture location as the gothic knights dont have much colour for hre (black or yellow) they should look fine for scotland.

thanks man, i'll make the change and see what happens...

why are you still a Junior member after 50 posts and a month of membership??

-Zain

hey man, i copied and pasted that texture line you showed me to the end of the battle_models.txt and nothing happened. Then I deleted the one for HRE and kept the one for scotland and still nothing happened. what's wrong with all this!?

i just tried to change some stats on Highland Nobles, thinking maybe Dismounted Gothic Knights are just retarted, turns out every change I make in Export_desc_units doesn't show up.

you have to use a .bat NOT the original .exe

open note pad and put this in it

medieval2.exe --io.file_first

and save it as

mymod.bat

that will tell the game to use your files that are edited not the packed 1's.

I was thinking that was the problem... I'll follow the thread called "HowTo set up M2TW for modding" then. Thanks man, I'll see what happens after this.

I got everything working with the Mymod folder in place except for the stupid texture again. I copied and pasted what you told me to put in the Battle_models file and it didn't work. So I tried copying every texture and sprite that the line you gave me into the Mymod folder and deleted the line for the HRE, and it's still not working... my morale is low at this time...

Unit sizes, Right now my elite force is 60 men but I'd like to make it either 100 or 300. I found in Export_desc_unit.txt where I can change it but every time I try it quits on me.

Harbinger of... saliva Member alpaca's Avatar

There's a limit, not sure what it was but it might be between 80 and 100 (normal size)

once you get ur mod folder up and working ; adding exsiting units to another faction should not take more then 5 mins, very easy.

but if your mod folder isnt working....nothing will work but venilla

get the modfolder up and simply change the name in export_units. expport buildings, and change those faction entries in the model.db

if your changing the unit name, change the unit name on the far right in export_unit and unit.text

eg Gothic Knights
    Gothic_Knights : Scotish Elite
    (export_units) and for text

{gothic_knights} Scotish Elite

why isn't the texture line you gave me working?

cuz ur doing something wrong. copy and paste ur lines of code for the gothic knights on here and ill look at it.

25 dismounted_gothic_knights 1 4 73 unit_models/_Units/LN_Gothic_RN_Plate/dismounted_gothic_knights_lod0.mesh 121 73 unit_models/_Units/LN_Gothic_RN_Plate/dismounted_gothic_knights_lod1.mesh 900 73 unit_models/_Units/LN_Gothic_RN_Plate/dismounted_gothic_knights_lod2.mesh 2500 73 unit_models/_Units/LN_Gothic_RN_Plate/dismounted_gothic_knights_lod3.mesh 6400 1 8 scotland 77 unit_models/_Units/LN_Gothic_RN_Plate/textures/LN_gothic_RN_plate_hre.texture 80 unit_models/_Units/LN_Gothic_RN_Plate/textures/LN_gothic_RN_plate_normal.texture 53 unit_sprites/hre_Dismounted_Gothic_Knights_sprite.spr 1 8 scotland 56 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Heater_hre_diff.texture 56 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Heater_hre_norm.texture 0 1 4 None 21 MTW2_Slow_2HSwordsman 0 1 24 MTW2_2HSwordsman_Primary 0 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

and what exactly is happening ????

try changing the texture lines to scotland and adding + 5 to the number line.

25 dismounted_gothic_knights

1 8 scotland
    82 unit_models/_Units/LN_Gothic_RN_Plate/textures/LN_gothic_RN_plate_scotland.texture
    80 unit_models/_Units/LN_Gothic_RN_Plate/textures/LN_gothic_RN_plate_normal.texture
    53 unit_sprites/hre_Dismounted_Gothic_Knights_sprite.spr
    1 8 scotland
    61 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Heater_scotland_diff.texture
    61 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Heater_scotland_norm.texture

this will make the texture show up on scotland.....it shoulda worked b4

remember to use the file_1st setup or ur just beatin the bush here

it's textureless, and what do you mean file_1st setup mean? It's probably what I'm doing but I've never heard of it before.

are you using the m2tw.exe or do you have a modified (mymod.bat) 'modfolder"

do you have a mod folder ?
    or are your moded files in ur data folder?
    do you have any other mods Working?

ok i just went back and reread the posts, it would appear that you HAVE set up a mod folder. remember that if your using a mod folder the data/models/models.db has to remain in the stock folder (original place)
    I dont use a modfolder. I opened notepad. wrote medieval2.exe --io.file_first
    and saved it as medieval2.bat

now i need to know that. Are you using the gothic knights with the scotish faction ?? as in your playing the scotish faction and recruiting gothic knights?

seriously I have made countless NEW units and have only encountered this probelm 1 time. I changed the english archer militia to Venice since the AM have the same armor as venice. I changed the faction ownership in model.bd and in export_unit, export_building.
    The Archer Militia is recruitable by Venice but has the red/yellow texture of english...so i know that a simple ownership change is very very simple.

is your game crashing to desktop or our u playing everytime and getting the clear models ? or our they completly invisible? (clearmodels i mean they look like the T1000 from terminator2)

Quote Originally Posted by dietre
    ok i just went back and reread the posts, it would appear that you HAVE set up a mod folder. remember that if your using a mod folder the data/models/models.db has to remain in the stock folder (original place)
    I dont use a modfolder. I opened notepad. wrote medieval2.exe --io.file_first
    and saved it as medieval2.bat

now i need to know that. Are you using the gothic knights with the scotish faction ?? as in your playing the scotish faction and recruiting gothic knights?

seriously I have made countless NEW units and have only encountered this probelm 1 time. I changed the english archer militia to Venice since the AM have the same armor as venice. I changed the faction ownership in model.bd and in export_unit, export_building.
    The Archer Militia is recruitable by Venice but has the red/yellow texture of english...so i know that a simple ownership change is very very simple.

is your game crashing to desktop or our u playing everytime and getting the clear models ? or our they completly invisible? (clearmodels i mean they look like the T1000 from terminator2)
    Thanks for getting back quickly, it's appreciated.

Anyway, yeah, I went into desc_strat and added the Gothic Knights to my kind's initial army, so yes I'm using them with the Scots.

My game isn't crashing to desktop, everything's cool with the game except for the models are clear (terminator 2... ) I've got mymod folder working because I've done modding before, I've even created a custom faction, although that took a long time and I couldn't get any of the textures to work, but that was before I knew about the model_bd thing...

Thanks for your help, get back as soon as you can. Thanks.

-Zain

hey dude, i think your problem is that ur using the gothic knights textures on 2 factions listed as hre. either change the hre gothic knight texture line to scotland or change the create a new unit called scotish elite (for example) then it should be ok. i had this problem 1 time by adding venice to archer miltia (from england) england and slave worked, but venice had clear textures. so i deleted england entry and venice had texutes in game. ( the red/yellow of england) then i added england back in and changed the venice entry (the texure line) to venice.texutre ; in game england had texures as did venice. I think there is something in the game that restricts a unit belonging to more then 1 factions to use the same faction texture. (in other words, each faction controlling the unit MUST have its own texture entry.) by adding gothic knights to scotland, now they are controlled by 2 factions but only using 1 texure..

I tested this just for you. adding gothic knights to scotland and using the hre texture....no dice. changing the hre.texture TO scotland.texure they had texures.

or make a new unit set up everything and it should be fine.
    same principle as this pic (brand new unit with textures)
    https://img412.imageshack.us/img412/...nfantryyg9.jpg
    16 saracen_infantry
    1 3
    70 unit_models/_Units/ME_Light_Mail_Heavy_Mail/saracen_infantry_lod0.mesh 121
    70 unit_models/_Units/ME_Light_Mail_Heavy_Mail/saracen_infantry_lod1.mesh 1225
    70 unit_models/_Units/ME_Light_Mail_Heavy_Mail/saracen_infantry_lod2.mesh 6400
    5 egypt
    85 unit_models/_Units/ME_Light_Mail_Heavy_Mail/textures/mtw2_ME_light_mail_egypt.texture
    86 unit_models/_Units/ME_Light_Mail_Heavy_Mail/textures/mtw2_ME_light_mail_normal.texture
    49 unit_sprites/egypt_Saracen_Militia_ug1_sprite.spr
    5 turks
    85 unit_models/_Units/ME_Light_Mail_Heavy_Mail/textures/mtw2_ME_light_mail_turks.texture
    86 unit_models/_Units/ME_Light_Mail_Heavy_Mail/textures/mtw2_ME_light_mail_normal.texture
    49 unit_sprites/turks_Saracen_Militia_ug1_sprite.spr
    5 egypt
    60 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final ME Heavy_egypt_diff.texture
    60 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final ME Heavy_egypt_norm.texture 0
    5 turks
    60 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final ME Heavy_turks_diff.texture
    60 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final ME Heavy_turks_norm.texture 0
    4 None
    14 MTW2_Swordsman 0
    18 MTW2_Sword_Primary
    14 fs_test_shield 0
    16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how it goes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast