Thread: #@#% backseat generals

Daimyo, Sultan & True Roman Member Crian's Avatar

Default #@#% backseat generals

I live in a rented apartment with several buddies of mine as we all go in the same university together. I remember in the past when I was still playing Shogun and Medieval and they would completely ignore me. Some of them would come over and ask "what's that? It's looks terrible...", har har, it was irritating to say the least.

Now I'm playing Medieval 2, and wow! Everybody's an expert all of a sudden, they have their own tactic to share about where to deploy and what to do,... etc. It's still irritating!!! Everybody's praising the game now for all the "realistic visuals" and "awesome battlefields", and if only they had a good computer they'd buy the game themselves, d*mn...

"Why did we attack the Iceni? Why did we destroy that cargo? I can live with being a pawn if the game makes sense!" - Wingman, Mission 3: The Romans Blunder, Freespace 2

Default Re: #@#% backseat generals

I feel your pain.
    Harbour you unclean thoughts

Add me to X-Fire: quickening666

It shoots it's room mates or it gets advice again....

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Same exact problem.

Inca Total War Member Member Filibustería's Avatar

I think that backseat generals can be very useful, because they look at the battle with more detail, as they are not tanse and concentrated as playeers are. I myself am a backseat general sometimes.

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

They give advice that although they think is right, is completely wrong due to their lack of experience making them quickly become extremely annoying.
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

Invoke the Goddess of Ignora upon them and then go about your gaming fun.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Heh. Reminds me a little of back when I used to live 3 other friends of mine, 2 of whom also played MTW. We were *all* backseat generals when someone was fighting, but then at least we knew what we were talking about -- sort of (I don't think any of us would ever have been compared to Napoleon in terms of command prowess!).

What was funny is that occasionally, it would happen where all 3 of us were in the middle of a battle at the same time. It amused our 4th roommate no end to hear us all cursing at the enemy in those instances....
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Default AW: #@#% backseat generals

LOL. Good stuff
    Emotion, passions, and desires are, thus peace is not.
    Emotion: you have it or it has you.

---

Pay heed to my story named The Thief in the Mead Hall.
    No.

---

Check out some of my music.

Since I hope you have at least a room for yourself: get a lock for the door.

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Well I'll tell you one thing, nobody is telling me what to do in my game. 1. I lock myself up, 2. switch off the phone, shut down IMs etc.

If anyone tells me what to do a simple roaring shout at nose distance "SILENCE !! YA N00000b !!!!" ;) usually does the trick.

Notice though how much the GFX have changed to game's appeal to the mass market.

The annoying armchair thing happened to me a lot in this games cafe I used to play in. Was playing America's Army and all these people, who know nothing of the game kept coming up and sourrounding my PC.. do this, do that... that gets me mad. I don't have that problem anymore because I made it clear that it distracts me from my game (MY KING, MY EMPIRE !!) and I don't like it.
    Last edited by Shahed; 04-21-2007 at 16:48.
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

It can be quite fun having a whole load of you on X-Fire discussing your individual campaigns as you are playing them. Kind of the opposite of the backseat General. This time it's fellow Generals bemoaning their own bad luck
    Harbour you unclean thoughts

Add me to X-Fire: quickening666

I do miss my backseat general as we both playing RTW til midnight, getting Mcfood to recharge and discussing strategy on the way.

When I play I have a habit of discussing it aloud with myself as if I'm discussing the strategy with someone. Needless to say the rest of the family tends to give me a wide berth and stays away.