Thread: Faction Thread 3: Skaven

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Faction Thread 3: Skaven

Some problems here with these units until we are able to vary the scale of units. Clanrats and slaves need to be smaller than human normal, whilst Rat Ogres would be larger. I am assuming we will be able to accomplish this with the work currentl ongoing on animations looking very promising.

Unit:

1) Clanrat Slaves

2) Clanrats

3) Storm Vermin

4) Night Runner

5) Poisoned Wind Globadiers

6) Gutter Runner

7) Warplock Jezzails

8) Plague Monk

9) Rat Ogre

10) Warp Lightning Cannon

These guys, as with quite afew of the Warhammer factions seem quite light in the missile weapon department. I am not sure why, but there is no mention of simple missile weapons here of the bow and arrow type! Cause of much discussion in my wargaming days.....
    Careless Orc Costs Lives!

Default Re: Faction Thread 3: Skaven

If you can do the dire wolves you mention in the Vampire Counts thread, then you can do the skaven's giant rats. Can't have a skaven army without a few giant rats.

Scaling of skeletons and new animations are needed for both...but yes. They can be done!

I also thought of doing ordinary rat swarms in the same way as the tomb swarms. I have been experimenting with these by just putting a bunch of really small models onto a unit. They actually look quite good. They could be improved with careful animation
    Careless Orc Costs Lives!

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Faction Thread 3: Skaven

I know this isn't doable with MTW2 engine, but having Screaming Bells on a battlefield would have been great

As for the Warplock Jezzails, how do you plan to make them ? Have them working as regular handgunners ?

I'm guessing the Skaven will use large numbers of weak troops to overwhelm their opponents.

Also will they have more powerful / cheaper agents, such as spys and assassins; and should the generals all have the night fighter trait (assuming it can be coded)?
    4 Seasons (6 Empires battle for supremecy); 3.0 version
    Total War Eras (start at 970, 1080, 1200, 1300, 1400, or 1500); 2.4 version
    Eras Total Conquest (start at 1230, 1346, 1547); 1.2 version

Screaming bell could possibly be done. Maybe something along the lines of the big Standard thing that Milan has? I think it's Milan, but maybe Venice? One of them. As in, it has a bodyguard of stormvermin and a morale boost effect around it to represent a Gray Seer being there.

Default Re: Re : Faction Thread 3: Skaven

Quote Originally Posted by Meneldil
    I know this isn't doable with MTW2 engine, but having Screaming Bells on a battlefield would have been great

As for the Warplock Jezzails, how do you plan to make them ? Have them working as regular handgunners ?

Screaming bells= The Holy Cross unit; a big cross on a cart with a retinue of armoured sergeant spearmen.

Gives morale boost....Idk if it matters if you playing against muslim or orthodox faction, which would eventually tie in to religion, which is already a jumpy topic on this mod.

Awesome mod btw, I was waiting for a long time to see someone put this one out, especially cause of The Holy Roman Empire already provides ALOT of units for The Empire...which just have to be recolored...

But thats not for me to comment on

Either way awesome work and hopefully I can play this soon! har har warhammer MOC...thank sigmar I didnt buy you ;P

Surely Venice & Milan's Carroccio standard would be more appropriate for the Screaming Bell? Considering it has a bell and all...

"Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world, like blue mantles beneath the stars...
    Is fhearr fheuchainn na bhith san duil.

Awesome Cold One Knight Member Goncalou's Avatar

Question Re: Re : Faction Thread 3: Skaven

Quote Originally Posted by Meneldil

Wouldnt u be able to make the screaming bells like the giant cross in mtw2, so they inspire morale or something like that.
    It's a fool's race to be run, if all is lost if it be won.

Annoying Warhammer know-it-all Member DrZoidberg's Avatar

Default Re: Re : Faction Thread 3: Skaven

Quote Originally Posted by Goncalou
    Wouldnt u be able to make the screaming bells like the giant cross in mtw2, so they inspire morale or something like that.
    This has already been covered. Read through this thread and you'll have your answer.
    Sorry you must have been boring. -Dr Zoidberg

Ratswarms would be sick too, along with warpfire throwers and ratling guns

Having them seperate factions would realistic represent the Skaven political situation (AKA, united they could conquer the world, but they'd rather infight)
    Therefore a skaven player's goal would be to first unite or conquer all skaven clans, and then set about world domination

When you're making the names list for the Skaven "family members", this might come in handy:
    http://uk.games-workshop.com/skaven/name-generator/1/

As Caradrayan pointed out skaven don't have that many settlements to begin with and the ones they do are fairly spread out so separating them into different factions would probably mean an early death. Don't like the idea of separate temples for clans, there's no problem with fielding different clans in the same army in the tabletop. Also we don't have a way to accurately represent the network of underground tunnels which connect skaven settlements, allowing them to move troops around. limiting troop types by settlement would put a skaven player at a serious disadvantage given the distances between some of their settlements.

Cuiser makes a good point, but I'm so wedded to the idea of temple lines for clan troops, I will suggest a comprimise: basic clan troops like globadiers, night runners, and giant rats should be recruited generally, and 1 elite unit from each clan can be temple (clan building) specific. Rat ogres, jezzails, and censer bearers would be my suggestion for exclusive access.

Awesome Cold One Knight Member Goncalou's Avatar

Yeah rat ogres, they'll crush the normal ones cause rats have claws and teeth.
    It's a fool's race to be run, if all is lost if it be won.