Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: Glory of Persepolis' goes on screen in response to insulting movie `300'

Default Re: Glory of Persepolis' goes on screen in response to insulting movie `300'

Yea I was pretty pissed off to hear they were making 300 instead of Gates of Fire. No most of the Persians you see are robed and their faces covered. Sorry to hear you didn't appreciate the movie at all, I generally liked it. Though it wouldve been 10x if the Spartans simply wore breastplates!! I mean c'mon now thats just pure stupidity. Also I think if all the deformities were cut out it wouldve been alot better that was just nonsense. Whatever if you didn't like it go pick up a copy of Gates of Fire if you havent read it already. I promise you will love the book.

Marzbân-î Jundîshâpûr Member The Persian Cataphract's Avatar

Default Re: Glory of Persepolis' goes on screen in response to insulting movie `300'

Quote Originally Posted by CrownOfSwords
    Greece proved their superiority at every battle fought between Persians and Greeks
    Completely rubbish statement. Darius The Great won each and every battle against the Greeks through Artaphernes, until the battle of Marathon. Prior to Darius, Cambyses had defeated Saitic Egypt who mustered a respectable force of Greek mercenaries, and prior to that, Cyrus The Great had defeated the Lydians. Even prior to the coming of the Persian Empire, the Medeans and Lydians fought each other to the degree of a stalemate which culminated at the battle of Halys. No one here claims that Greeks were poor warriors, on the contrary, they were some of the best infantry money could buy, but to presume that they were automatically superior to anything the Persians mustered is to look at things in a very Vanilla'esque manner.The Persian army, considering her merits, was built for versatility.

The reason why Miltiades won at Marathon was not just because he ordered the Athenian hoplites to run towards the Persian column to diminish the effect of archery, but he also striked at the right moment, when the Persians had disembarked on a bog and were largely disabled from disembarking cavalry.

"Fortunate is every man who in purity and truth recognizes valiance and prevents it from becoming bravado" - Âriôbarzanes of the Sûrên-Pahlavân

Celtic Cataphracts!!!! Member The Celt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 140
    Forget about history as a pure film it was crap.

Are any of the Persians look remotely like humans ? Is Ephialtes human ? Does he remind you of someone ? It's just a cheap rip off of lord of the rings who itself aien't very good.

"we'll fight in the shades", fair enough. Then when the persian arrows pours down, the guy literally said again "remember I said we'll fight in the shades, haha" yeah HAHA funny, please stop insulting my intelligence.

Crap like that just too numerous to name. A persian general gets his head cut off (yet again !!!) and his head flys in the sky. WTF the purpose does that serve ? Other than an extreme low class retarded eye-candy ? I don't want to talk about all these crap any more.

As a historical film it's just 10 times more rubbish. Free Greeks, Freedom Fighters, Kind Spartans, Cruel Persians, oh my god please stop.

And I bet nobody's going to spent big bucks to make a film about this same event in 10 years. That's why you don't make absolute crap, it kills the chance for people who actually have a clue to make the same thing.
    Finally someone who understands how god-awful the movie was even by itself. Like I said, a movie with a script this bad:The men in the back said "FOOOOOOOWAAAAARRRRDDDDDd!!!!111!!!OMGZLOLZSLAVERY!!!!!" Whilst them men in front said "OOOOFFFFAAHHGOOSHSHSHHSPURTZILLA!!!!!!!!!ROFLROXXORSOPRESSION!!!11" shouldn't be considered for its historical or political aspects only. Its got guys in loincloths walking in slow-mo to rock music for Christ sake! It would've been crap historically setting or not!
    Achtungaz!!! You vill all zavmit to zeh Svveboz!!!!

Currently rising to power as:

aka Artaserse (the Lone Borg) Member Obelics's Avatar

@Kambitz
    ah regarding the aar, im very busy a this time, cant even play the game (i made a further installement, but it is incomplete anyway), but im here from time to time to read stuff... thanks!

PS regarding the movie, ive seen it, it is ok only as a below-average MTV video...(ive already forgot it), i really fear the actual trend for movies is the music videos, what a shame... reading movies related comments on the internet i always read the sentence: "it is too damned slow!!!!" as a comment to an old classic, it seems everyone wants movies fast like cartoons or music video... pheraphs it's me that is older... (not enough anyway, im around 30 )

salute!

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Obelics
    i really fear the actual trend for movies is the music videos, what a shame... reading movies related comments on the internet i always read the sentence: "it is too damned slow!!!!" as a comment to an old classic, it seems everyone wants movies fast like cartoons or music video...
    Philistines !
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

About the armor. Did spartans have to buy their own armor, or did their government give it to them. The reason I say this is because most other greeks could only afford a shield, helmet, and maybe greeves.
    Last edited by Artorius Rex; 05-28-2007 at 07:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius Rex
    About the armor. Did spartans have to buy their own armor, or did their government give it to them. The reason I say this is because most other greeks could only afford a shield, helmet, and maybe greeves.
    The Spartan hoplites had to buy their own gear. However ,the Spartan hoplites were usually property owning men from the middle and upper classes of society, so they could afford some gear. Sources mention superior armor on the part of the Spartans, though the armaments were not equal and standardized. The fact that Spartans had longer spears was crucial especially in phalanx formation in a small pass...

That's why the Marian reforms were so revolutionary in Rome. He opened up the army for the classes who's didn't own property by giving them arms sponsored by the state. He also standardized equipment and training.
    Last edited by Ardu; 05-30-2007 at 17:24.
    Quidquid Latinum dictum est, altum viditur.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516