Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Puniceus Paludamentum

Default Re: The Puniceus Paludamentum

Yay looking forward to the Roman-Makedon war(s)!

An Imperfect Follower of Light Member Wolfman's Avatar

Have you been able to get Marians yet? I heard those are a life saver against hellenic factions.
    Tales of Gods and Kings - An Arverni AAR-DEAD
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...82#post1930882
    A People of the Mist - Casse AAR-ALIVE!!!!
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...Mist-Casse-AAR

Chapter XIII - The Macedonian war - Capture of Pelloponessus and the Aegean Peninsula
    In the course of five years the Romans would bring the Macedonians to their knees. In a blitz of the Aegean 25% of their provinces and major cities would fall into Roman hands.

With their field armies deep in Anatolia the Macedonians could not adequately defend their territory. Four legions moved down the coast of the Adriatic attacking first Thermon and then the cities of Sparta and Corinth. After spending the winter of 167 in quarters they again renewed the offensive in 166 and promptly captured Athens and Chaklis.

The two consular armies swung north and devestated the city of Demetrius and quickly arrived at the Macedonian capital of Pell by the fall of 166 BC. It was in and around the capital that the most fierce fighting raged. The Macedonians, having lost their primary homeland provinces, were relying on unreliable mercenaries. Time and time again the Macedonians were defeated.

The situation could not have been more grim for the Macedonians. The Aeudi tribe did not honor the pre arranged defense treaty, they had lost most of their powerful cities, and the army was an amalgam of mercenaries and hellenistic troops that had not been properly trained.

Whats worse is the Macedonians did not field adequate cavalry. This alone turned many of the battles. The Romans had everything going for them. With the retirement of Gnaeus Germanicus, his wonderfully competent Magister Eques took over as Consul and performed admirably.

He named Publius Cornelius Scipio as his magister Eques.

Together the two men would shatter an empire and become some of the most influential people in the republic.

In the rapid disentegration of the Aegean the Senate named Oppius Crispus Flaviaunus Macedonius.

With his new title he quickly destroyed all armies that dare challenge the legion.

With adequate funding and manpower streaming in from Italy there was nothing to stop the Roman tide from its relentless march. Pella finally fell in 163 BC after a series of brutal fights.
    Scenes from the Macedonian Campaign:

Video of the Campaign:
    http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...acedonwarI.flv
    P Scipio used the cavalry in amazing maneuvers that destroyed the Macedonian Cavalry and then promptly would destry the skirmishers. Using the Extrodinaire of the allies the Roman cavalry quickly became some of the most distinguished in the known world. O. Macedonius knew the value of the cavalry as he himself decided many an engagement against the Germans and the extinct Arverni tribe. The battle plans were generally the same. P. Scipio and the allied cavalry would seek out the enemy cavalry and run them off the field. Once this was accomplished they would have free reign and generally would obliterate slingers and other such skirmishers. The macedonians were certainly hurting in the Cavalry department and the Romans took full advantage. P. Scipio had gained quite the Reputation back in Rome and had a devout following. Suddenly equestrian interests had grown significantly in Italy and everyone wanted to be seen on a horse. After fighting numerous battles The legions of Rome rested in the countryside outside of Pella. In the Spring of 162 the offensive would be renewed and the Macedonians would be helpless in stemming the tide of the Romans.

@wolfman no I havent gotten the Marius reforms although I suspect im close. Im hoping that Oppius Crispus Macedonius is named consul. He has all the necessary requirements. He isnt 40 years old yet and I think you have to be 40 to be considered eligable for Consul. We shall see. He doesnt have populares yet, although im not sure why, so If i get the Consul trait and populares it should be a sealed deal. Although to be honest my armies are more than holding their own.

Good Job with the Macedonians! I've heard that the successor states could be tough for the Romans. and Good luck with the Marians! too, bad there's no way to have a civil war in this game because a Eb Sulla would be awesome.

I agree jesus a sulla would be good. I think im getting close to the marius reforms. Regardless I really dont need them as my armies are toasting everything in their path. The Macedonian armies maneuver very slowly with the phalynx and all that. I run circles around them with my maniples of hastati/principe/ and allies. Plus my cavalry has demolished everything the Macedonians have thrown my way.

I guess you just have to be a good general.

Well if they fielded an army that wasnt hodgepodge and used good tactics i might be given a run for my money. The problem is that im fighting in their country which means i have very little to lose and they....well they have everything to lose. Alot of stuff going on in the next update..again thanks for following the chronicles of Rome :)

Quote Originally Posted by Chirurgeon
    Well if they fielded an army that wasnt hodgepodge and used good tactics i might be given a run for my money. The problem is that im fighting in their country which means i have very little to lose and they....well they have everything to lose. Alot of stuff going on in the next update..again thanks for following the chronicles of Rome :)
    Are you using the darth mod for EB mod? that helps. (probably too late by now )

Just your average Senior Member Warmaster Horus's Avatar
    Besancon, France: a stepping stone to greatness. I hope.

Improves enemy tactics I think.
    By the way, your AAR rocks!
    Last edited by Warmaster Horus; 06-07-2007 at 12:13.
    The Throne Room: "Less a forum, more a way of life." Econ21
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Join the latest greatest installement of mafia games: Capo di Tutti Capi!
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

Thanks Warmaster. I appreciate your comments :) Well when I do another AAR Perhaps I will add that Mod. I just didnt want to mess up EB after finally getting it going. Thanks for watching. I should have an update in a couple of days. Alot of developments to talk about. I was in France last summer. A beautiful country you have there :) Started in Paris -> Normandy -> Loire valley -> Pyranees -> Spain. Still a lot I want to see and revisit. Next time im going to spend time in Bordeaux and make an effort to see the Aqueduct that spans a river in southern France. Not sure exactly where it is but I hope to find it...I think this is a picture of it:

Just your average Senior Member Warmaster Horus's Avatar
    Besancon, France: a stepping stone to greatness. I hope.

That's near Orange (you should be able to find it on a map), I think. It was built by the Romans, of course, and is a very nice aqueduct.
    Anyway, good luck continuing this!
    When are you going to stop? EB victory conditions met, or personnal wishes?
    The Throne Room: "Less a forum, more a way of life." Econ21
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Join the latest greatest installement of mafia games: Capo di Tutti Capi!
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

Wow......

That has had to be one of the best invasions I've ever seen......

Great job!
    "Δῶς μοι πᾶ στῶ καὶ τὰν γᾶν κινάσω"~~Archimedes

Thank you very much Owen. I figured a Blizt of the Aegean would be Appropriate in putting the Macedonians on their heels.
    @ Horus. Well If I get attacked then the Republic must respond :) So I guess as long as their are enemies on Romes borders than yes. Update tonight. Alot has happened in the last 10 years of the Republic.

PS when you look at my territorial map in the last update how well does that correspond with historical territorial gains with the Romans? Just curious to see if my acquisitians and what happened in real history are comparable.

Can't wait for the next update, one of the best AAR I've ever read so far
    Keep up the Good work

@marioo! I cant thank you enough for the compliments. This has been an intensive process with making videos and doing stories. Believe it or not I am considering another AAR. You guys have inspired me. Of course thats a while off with this one still going strong. I find it challenging and rewarding keeping 60 provinces in line and fighting a huge war. I should have an update in a couple of hours. Just finished the video for the next chapter and story. Now I just have to edit all the Screenies :)

Chapter XIV - Continuation of Macedonian War and Military Reforms

The situation in the Republic had become desperate in order to maintain garrisons and Legions in locations outside of Italy. The introduction of large scale industrial agriculture put alot of small farms and businesses out of work. In essence the Republic was reeling from high unemployment and the Senate was aggresively searching for a solution. Gnaeus Germanicus or the Great Vanquisher of the Germans south of the Danube had been voted princeps senatus and took his agenda to the floor of the senate. Essentially he wanted to create a professional standing army that would be commanded by a Legatus Legionis. The senate would control who commanded what legion and only placing loyal individuals of potentially great power in those positions. Two Consuls would still be appointed but the make up of the infantry would be changed dramatically. The Hastati, Princepes, and triarii would be combined into one type of heavy infantry unit.

Each unit would be provided equipment from the state and those individuals would enlist for 20 years. The pay would be reasonable and the soldiers could retire to a plot of land at the end of service. Land ownership was very important in these times as land ownership attributed to the status of the individual.
    These changes would take sometime to implement across the Republic. In fact the consular armies under Oppius Crispus Macedonicus would not use these new infantry units at all. The existing groups of Triarii, Hastati, and Princeps all had several years left and although O. Macedonicus approved of the new cohorts he would not have time to stop the campaign against the Macedonians until all of the land south of the Danube was secure.

These new professionals were instead initially assigned to garrison forts alongh the Danube river. By 152 BC a total of five legions guarded the crossings of the Danube. From its orgins deep in the Alps until it flowed into the Black Sea there were 11 places that were considered fordable. The senate made haste to fortify and control these crossings. Each legion had a base in a province and the Capital of that province had a governor who acted as the Legatus Legionis. Each ford was guarded by five cohorts and an equal number of local troops. All people and commerace had to pass the scrutiny of the legion before they were allowed to enter the republic.
    Between 163 and 152 BC several Germanic armies attempted to cross the river but was repulsed each time. With the great Barbarian war raging north of the Danube the Republic went for a model of containment. Maintaining five legions with all their auxillaries was costly and so was the continuing war against the Macedonians.
    The war against Macedon was going splendid at this point. By 152 BC the kingdom of Macedon was forced north of the Danube and into Anatolia. After Pella fell in 163 The Romans went on a tear through Thrace and all areas until ultimately reaching Byzantium. Every army that the Macedonians threw at the Romans were often completely obliterated.

The tenacity of the Macedonians is an amazing topic itself. Should the Macedonians organized themselves better and had better coordinated attacks then perhaps the Romans could have been repelled. It is unlikely to have lasted though. Roman persistance always seems to prevail.Their progress was checked and entrance into Asia Minor was denied over and over as The Macedonians attempted to recapture Byzantium no less than 7 times. Each time they were repelled but the Romans had lost the momentum. Intstead of invading Anatolia the Romans stopped and consolidated what they already had. Much of the land had been devestated from decades of war and it would take time to heal from those wounds. Another factor also slowed the progress of the Romans.
    Scenes from the Campaign:

Video Collage of Various Battles:
    http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...ianWarII-1.flv

At the age of 47 Oppius Crispus Macedonicus's consulship was up and he asked the senate not to renew it. He would instead become Governor of Rome and help raise his own children in the great city. The Senate upon hearing this and of a Heroic Victory against the Macedonians in the defense of Byzantium, awarded O. Macedonicus a Triumph.

The celebrations would last nearly a year. In his absence and wishing the war to continue to finality the senate nominated Publius Corneius Scipio as the next consul to deal with the Macedonians.

As we shall see in the next chapter P. Scipio would make great use of the new cohorts and of his new Eques Legionis, Avlus Vicinius Macrobius. A. Macrobius was raised in Africa and was quite the Master of Horse.

P. Scipio having been a great horseman would need to replace his role with someone else that could stand up to the challenge. Using native horsemen from Thrace and other regions, Cavalry would help the Roman cause immensely.

A Triumph!
    Congratulations man.

As always a wonderfull installment, I can't wait to see how Publius Scipio will use the new Marian Legions.

[sorry for my bad spelling, english isn't my mother language =[]
    Last edited by marioo!; 06-11-2007 at 01:48.

Yes Marioo! a Triumph :) A well earned one I think as well. I will have a video for the last chapter as well...just waiting for it to be encoded on photobucket. Also have a map pic to add to the chapter as well. Check back for that :)

I think you are officially the first AAR to get a triumph. Congrats man!!! And I was there to see it all. I will be telling my decendents about this moment for ages. You are officially a legend.
    Last edited by Wolfman; 06-11-2007 at 05:01.

Wow! Marian reforms and a Triumph?! Good job!

@wolfman: I havent read too many Roman AARs on here that last any considerable length of time(except for roma bulls which is a very good AAR). I would think if people had played longer than they would have gotten a Triumph. I have read elsewhere on the forums that the triumph trait is broken somehow and people have met all the requirements and nothing happened. I wasnt planning on grooming this guy for greatness, It just kind of happened. I only place intelligent/charismatic/vigorous family members in positions of controlling armies. The worst is the Langrous when trying to march. I had one guy that could only move a little bit each turn because he was "bed-ridden". After that I vowed only to have intelligent/charismatic/vigorous Consuls/generals.
    Thank you for sharing the history of the Empire with your children :)

@Marcus: It all happened at once. He was named Consul, Won a Heroic Victory, got the popularis trait, and BAM! Marius reforms and time to to come to Rome to recieve a Triumph! I could scarcely believe it myself. That Triumph is looking lonely though. Perhaps someone else could join it at some point.

On a side note Photobucket is behaving in a homosexual manner and will not let me post the full video. So you wont get the video I intended. Im going to try and post one thats like a minute long. I captured some pretty cool stuff in the last chapter.

Just updated the last chapter with a video of the various battles over the last 10 years

I don't have kids yet I was being dramatic. Heck I'm not even married.
    Last edited by Wolfman; 06-12-2007 at 22:03.

Chirurgeon, you are truly kicking ass with your Romans!

(Triumph + Broken Macedonians + Marian Infantry = One Happy General)

off topic note to Chirugeon: What would you do for an AAR, Epirus or Aedui?

thanks Owen. Yes the Marian Infantry is very strong. I have been using a number of tactics with them. Ive been using the ligher legion troops...cant remember name off the top of my head but anyway they are fast and have a punch...to engage skirmishers or to move to engage flanking units. They are really fun and flexible unit.
    I am wondering about your question for an AAR. I think Epirus would be a good one to go with but I think the Aeudi would be fun because you could just unleash an entire mob of barbarians on your enemies. The combat styles are completely different which makes tactical approaches much more different. Epirus would be fun if you could throttle the Romans early on. Same with the Aeudi.
    Let me tell you what Im going to have quite the challenge with the Aeudi if and when we come to blows in my AAR. They own like 30 provinces! Perhaps you should do the Aeudi. If you can maintain an alliance with the Romans and get rid of the Arverni you might have a chance. What are the victory conditions for the Aeudi? Right now Im more concerned about preparing an invasion of Anatolia (asia minor).

I am wondering about your question for an AAR. I think Epirus would be a good one to go with but I think the Aeudi would be fun because you could just unleash an entire mob of barbarians on your enemies. The combat styles are completely different which makes tactical approaches much more different. Epirus would be fun if you could throttle the Romans early on. Same with the Aeudi.
    Hm....good point. Thanks for your insight.

Let the invasion begin!

Are you thinking about doing an AAR with one of those? I havent seen an AAR with those

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast