Thread: Maccabean Revolt

Default Maccabean Revolt

Has anyone ever thought to do a mod based on the macabean revolt. If you read the books of Maccabeas (forgive my spelling) it talks about how the jewish guys took on seleucid soldiers with only their clothing and fists. I don't know if this has been discused before, but i wanted to see if anyone else thougth this was a good idea for a mod.

Default Re: Maccabean Revolt

I guess that means no.

Hey, don't go that fast!

I myself I've been thinking a lot about it, after reading some parts of the Bible. I was looking for some cool biblical quotes when I found the seleucids! I was insta-hooked.

Anyways, I thought that was already in the game, being Judaea a very conflictive region with lots of revolts, and having the slave faction those pesky judaean zaelots?

The only thing I miss and I might implement in the future is the Temple of Jerusalem as some kind of unique temple that gives lots of happiness but nothing more.

So if you conquer the region and demolish it, you may encounter some problems!

I was thinking more along the lines of using BI to start with the jews as a small horde so and that your objectives are to regain the areas of land promised to them in the bible. IF the jews start to lose, they can petition the Roman Empire, which will then bring maybe one legion to your aid. Yes other factions would be playable though.

The only problem is that what information is available from historical accounts (eg. Macc. I and II) is horribly skewed and inaccurate & the politics and intricacies of the revolt are rarely looked at. However, if you are interested there are three books you should see if you can get your hands on (preferably from the library because they are prohibitively expensive to own):

The Seleucid Army: Organisation and Tactics in the Great Campaigns by B. Bar-Kochva

Judas Maccabaeus: The Jewish Struggle Against the Seleucids by B. Bar-Kochva

From Samarkhand to Sardis: A New Approach to the Seleucid Empire (Hellenistic Culture and Society) by Susan Sherwin-White and Amélie Kuhrt

Well, its not like I have any modding skillz anyway, I just wanted to know if this had been discussed before, or if someone had made a mod of it already.

Hey man, if you're feeling motivated enough do some research for it; then seek out a mod and see what support you can conjur up. Perhaps a mini-mod might be what you're looking for based off of a current one. EB, RTR, or some of the others would be a good place to start looking for help or ideas.

Thanks for your support, and maybe I will take your advice. Probably RTR would be best just do to how less complicated it is compared to EB.

You can make God the senate, although you may have trouble giving the Judean faction leader the power to make the earth stop rotating (awesome special ability, it's like something out of an rpg).

Seriously though it would make for an interesting mod, it's a very interesting conflict, although you may raise some objections. Good luck,

Snevets.
    Hegemonia Lead Modeller.

People complain about anything, so I'm not worried about that. From the small parts that I did read, it seemed like God didn't do quite the same type of stuff as with Joshua, or David, so I don't think I would make him the senate. The ancient Chinese actually have a record of there being an extra day, but I don't remember where I found this so that doesn't really help you guys.

Rex Pelasgorum et Valachorum Member Rex_Pelasgorum's Avatar

A good mod could have been made with the Ancient Middle East during the time of the Kingdom of Israel, Egypt, Babilon, Assyria... with civil wars, etc.

To bad nobody ever thought about doing this. Maybe for MTW 2
    Dogma nemuririi sufletului îi fãcea curajosi fãrã margini, dispretuitori fatã de orice pericol, poftitori de moarte (apetitus morti) luptãtori cu hotarâre si cu o întreprindere de speriat.
    (Metianus Capella)

Actually the mod idea of Bronze Age/Early Iron Age/Bibilical Times in the Middle Eastern region have been up several times. But they've had a bad habit of dying off. The best bet at present is the Rise of Persia mod.

I imagine the main reason for them dying is just because it's kinda hard to find info on there army(at least to me), and that it would probably become some kind of political debate that would end with the devs angry at each other. The result, no mod.

Actually no. There are lots of information on military matters, either specific as in the cases of Egypt, Assyria, Hittites and the like. While generic information can easily be found which more often than not is true regarding minor factions, such as Aram Damascus, the Neo-Hittites and Urartu.

I was talking more about the Israeli armies, but anyways, could you send me some links if its not too much trouble, or give me good search parameters.

PM sent.
    Last edited by Gurkhal; 05-27-2007 at 20:48.