Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Europa Universalis III

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Default Re: Europa Universalis III

You can get EU3 Complete (everything but HttT) for like $8 off Amazon, which is definitely worth it. I'm holding out for a patch for HttT, because there seems to be some issues with it according to forum threads. But I would dearly like a weaker France.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is blobbing, not a couple of provinces -

The power of Ming (and that was the AI).
    Last edited by Beskar; 01-23-2010 at 01:25.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

My word, China probably has enough manpower to move her sliders all the way to "quality" and not feel the effects.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Beskar- what on earth happened in that game? The Byzantines cruising through Persia, Germany forming, Scandinavia forming, Italy forming? And is that Portugal with north africa and mexico?
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Blog Entries

Blimey! You havent been playing parralel countries have you?
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yaseikhaan View Post
    Beskar- what on earth happened in that game? The Byzantines cruising through Persia, Germany forming, Scandinavia forming, Italy forming? And is that Portugal with north africa and mexico?
    Yes, the Byzantines were. It is from an earlier game (which I continued later as Sciliy, hence Italy forming). Basically, as Kingdom of Jersalem which is shown in Brown on that map, I took the majority of Gaza/etc (not as big as shown there, Mamluks still had Eygpt, when I changed) and I fought a major war with the Ottoman Empire and I managed to restore all the core provinces which Bystanium has to them. So those areas outside the cores is what the AI did itself.

Germany did form, yes. Scandinavia hasn't formed, that is just Sweden. I believe they Inherited Norway and they conquered Denmark's provinces which were owned by Bremen, I believe, earlier in the game.

Yes, Portugal owns North Africa and Mexico. A big conflict in Iberia between Castile vs. Aragorn + Portugal pretty much wiped them out, with Aragorn taking Spain and Portugal expanded into North Africa. Aragorn later warred with Portugal which acculiated later when the AI for whatever reason moved its capital to Morroco. The final war between them pretty much set the boundary there. Portugal, now basically the Morrocan power went to war with its Muslim Neighbours and took their terrority and later expanded into the America's, and invaded Mexico.

Britain formed and as typical, they went colonial, invading those North American indian provinces, etc.

As for Ming, the only thing I can think of, is their massive BB rating keeps making powers attacking them and Ming wins. Though, I took a look at them. They currently have between 250-300 BB rating, and getting 15,000 odd manpower per turn, however, they are critically undermanned due to wars and mass revolts. It is only a short-time till Ming collaspes. It is just "when".

Italy formed and looked like that, because I played them.

Typically, my games tend to get like this, with blobs forming everywhere, but I never seen one like Ming before.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Well your game managed to reform Alexander's Empire and Genghis' Empire in one go.
    BLARGH!

Blog Entries

I am going to select some random province, as I can't be bothered to continue the game and see what the results turn out like. Would be interesting to see how it turns out. I will post a picture after 50 years.
    Last edited by Beskar; 01-23-2010 at 04:40.

Semi-Corruptible Member White_eyes:D's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yaseikhaan View Post
    EUIII is fairly fun, I think. Not quite as engrossing as Vicky, not as complex. The economic model is far too simplified, imo, but the political simulation is pretty decent. For its price now, probably 30 bucks for the whole shabang, I think its probably worth it for grand strategy folks.

Skipping back to the France topic:

This is France blobbing:

And stunningly enough, this is the blob after the world's most massive dog-pile:

I guess there expanding into Northern Italy cost them 'BIG' TIME....

Tovenaar Senior Member The Wizard's Avatar

Can't see your screencap, Beskar e_e

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    We'll I have most Paradox games. Which I probably should have mentioned, so I'm not wholly ignorant. But, is it basically a more polished EUII? Is it better than say AGCEEP for EUII?

I'm not too worried, it can't be steeper than Vicky. Which I'm proud to say I've gotten reasonably good at.
    Oh no, it's not as hard as Vicky, and not half as hard as HOI3 (going by the demo). And as for the comparison with EU2, it's a lot more of a sandbox game. So no more keeping the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth strong only to see half your provinces given to Russia by event in the 1780s. It's a lot more freeform and less event-driven.
    Last edited by The Wizard; 01-23-2010 at 17:55.
    "It ain't where you're from / it's where you're at."

Eric B. & Rakim, I Know You Got Soul

Blog Entries

An update of that map so far. I been playing as some random African country. Been fighting off the colonial advances. The Western Ming Empire collasped and they are currently in countless wars. However, their biggest threat so far is actually the rebel problem. As soon as majority of the land turn core, in my opinion, Ming should be able to get back on its feet and reconquer terrority with a new vigor.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    An update of that map so far. I been playing as some random African country. Been fighting off the colonial advances. The Western Ming Empire collasped and they are currently in countless wars. However, their biggest threat so far is actually the rebel problem. As soon as majority of the land turn core, in my opinion, Ming should be able to get back on its feet and reconquer terrority with a new vigor.
    I can't see your map either, Beskar. (I quoted your post and I don't even see any [img] brackets or a non-working link to the image to explain it.)

Dejotaros moc Praesutagos Member Cultured Drizzt fan's Avatar

Here is a question. Just when on a Paradox binge and Ordered EU3 and Victoria on amazon. Will they work on my new Windows 7 laptop? If not I fear I have made a horrible mistake.
    Last edited by Cultured Drizzt fan; 01-24-2010 at 19:52.
    Micheal D'Anjou
    memory of the short lived king of Babylon Patrokles Adiabenikos

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cultured Drizzt fan View Post
    Here is a question. Just when on a Paradox binge and Ordered EU3 and Victoria on amazon. Will they work on my new Windows 7 laptop? If not I fear I have made a horrible mistake.
    Why wouldn't it?

(Also, I am using Windows 7 64-bit)

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Why wouldn't it?

(Also, I am using Windows 7 64-bit)
    I have heard people say that EU3 did not work on vista, wondering if the same applied with Windows 7
    Micheal D'Anjou

EU3 works on Vista if you're in admin mode.

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Have you played any Paradox game (If not, buying Victoria might have been a mistake)
    BLARGH!

EU3 works on Windows 7 64 bit. I haven't tried Vicky since I installed 7 but I assume it would work (though you might need to try compatibility mode).

Still warlusting... Member Warluster's Avatar

Paradox announces new game

ubik and Paradox announced on the 21st the Magna Mundi is now going to be a retail game, like Arsenal of Democracy or For the Glory. On a fan level, I see the con as there are no more Magna Mundi updates (for free!) but at least we get a full on polished expansion-of-sorts.

Some more info from ubik here: Magna Mundi game info estimated release date is 2011. I like his first point, ubik did amazing things with EU3 when he didn't have access to the source, and now he does who knows what he'll do with the game.

All of these mod teams forming into official games, its a brilliant move by Paradox to let them do this stuff, especially as they're letting other devlopers use a game which is basiclly the figurehead of Paradox. I know theres more chance of a blue moon, but it would be great to see CA give these privileges to Total War mod teams. EB, TATW... by giving these devlopment options to mod teams they're only expanding their market and gaining more publicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    Have you played any Paradox game (If not, buying Victoria might have been a mistake)

Meh, I figure I can wait till I have more experiance with EU, play that for a long while, then when I feel I am ready Dip my toes in to Victoria. I am not going to let its complexity scare me off

I have only minimal experience with paradox games, but I am hoping to change that. I have played the demo quite a bit, and devoured a lot of the wiki, so I think that will be ready for that at least. (took quite a few disastrous attempts with England and Switzerland in the demo, but I am starting to get a hang of things.) I feel like that can keep me engaged for a long time. (EU that is)

Victoria, EU3, and Mount and Blade are all shipping now! starting their journey from Indiana. All very exciting (I could not find any of them in any of my local game shops, and this is the first thing I have bought on amazon ever.)
    Last edited by Cultured Drizzt fan; 01-26-2010 at 01:11.
    Micheal D'Anjou

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

EU3 is really not that difficult. The vanilla game doesn't have much complicated features, but it gets way worse (and annoying and tedious) with Magna Mundi. It takes a few hours to get of gist of it.

Victoria on the other hand... I never could wrap my head around it. And though I think the lack of historical events is a huge letdown in EU3, I also think the overabundance of them sometimes makes Vicky annoying: your country is doing great and all, but it suddenly get all screwed up because that's what happened in real life.

Make sure you buy EU3: Complete. EU3 vanilla is not such a very good game without the expansions.

And as far as I'm concerned, I'm not that excited about a Magna Mundi standalone game (there's already a thread about it, btw). MMP is just a patchwork of various mods pastiched into one big package, and technically not a real full-blown mod, and has all the problems coming with that. In addition, I don't like MMP's premise, because I feel it clamps on too tightly to history and doesn't give enough room for changing it. Just like Vicky and EU2.
    Last edited by The Wizard; 01-26-2010 at 14:08.

I have a problem. EU3 is installed, but when I try and start the game, it simply gives me an area that says

d3dx9_35.dll missing from your computer

searched around, and apparently I have to install directX 9, but I have no idea where Direct X is supposed to go, or what I have to do specifically.
    Micheal D'Anjou

It's pretty simple, just download it from Microsoft and install it (following the instructions in the screen).

I think this is the most recent version:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...a-9b6652cd92a3

I have a problem. EU3 is installed, but when I try and start the game, it simply gives me an area that says

d3dx9_35.dll missing from your computer

searched around, and apparently I have to install directX 9, but I have no idea where Direct X is supposed to go, or what I have to do specifically.
    You are trying to run it as an Administrator, right?

Still warlusting... Member Warluster's Avatar

If all the solutions posted don't work, I got around that problem by simply downloading that specific file from a *trusted* site and the copying it into the nesscary location. The game worked perfectly afterwards.

I'm currently playing MMP now as the Dutch in 1700s. I always thought all mods for Eu3 gave you complete freedom of historical direction. When you say historical events do you mean events as in Victoria, or modifiers which add to your nation like 'Poor Cavalry', etc?

Devout worshipper of Bilious Member miotas's Avatar

I've had rather a crazy game playing as a Holland. I started this game fully intending to play a small trading nation, possibly forming the Netherlands at some point and maybe grabbing a few colonies later in the game.

I started out along this path, and it lead to me being incredibly rich, so I used that wealth, as well as my promiscuous family to establish, and maintain good relations with most of the rich or powerful countries in Europe. As a result of this, I noticed, in about the 1450's, that most of the electors in the HRE quite liked me, and a few were even voting for me. I started really sucking up to the electors at this point, and when the current Emperor died in the mid 1460's I became the new Emperor, with all the perks that come with the position.

I trained up an Army of 60,000 troops, which was massive when compared to my measly 6 provinces, and started defending everyone in the HRE. After a few wars, my imperial authority was at 80% so I decided to implement a few reforms. Most of them had already been done, so I implemented the two that removed elections and made all the states my vassals. There were of course some that disagreed with my reforms, but most obeyed their emperor and now about half of Europe is the vassal of tiny little Holland, including Austria and Burgundy. I've also been close allies with Great Britain for most of the game and England and Burgundy are in the same Dynasty as me. So all of Europe basically revolves around Holland at this point. Hapsburgs? Who's that? In this world de Bourgognes are the most powerful family in Europe.

When I enact that last reform I'm going to be HUGE! I wonder if I will still be able to form the Netherlands after I do that and have a giant Netherlands, covering most of Europe?

France has also been all over the shop in this game, first they went weak and small, then they took most of the French territories and now all they have left is Provence in the south.

- Four Horsemen of the Presence

Thanks everyone, the first fix worked.... Its all set, again thank you.
    Micheal D'Anjou

Blog Entries

Here is an update of that game. Roughly 30 years or so later game-time.

- Great Britain and Portugal has finished wiping out the native factions in the America's.

- Ming, while solidifying their position in East Asia and finally managed to get their rebel problem "managable", lost their provinces in Saudi Arabia to the surrounding factions due to troop difficulties.

- Austria was decimated in a bloodly war with Germany and Italy. Italy taking a big chunk of Western Austria, and Germany settling for a mass release of states within the Austria Empire. The Balkans now has two major powers, the old Austria, and the stronger Hungary, fighting for dominance.

- After their massive invasion of Persia, rebels kept Byzantium beaten and bruised. A small skirshish with the Kingdom of Jersualem turned into Total War when all surrounding factions viled for land. KoJ tore Byzantium through the middle, while Italy took the Byztanium Greek controled states. The now Catholic (I know) Ottoman Empire decides to re-emerge.

- France takes terrority from Portugal in Northern Africa, winning a few provinces. Is now emboiled in two seperate wars with Italy (he likes warring) and Spain.

- Germany after taking part in the smiting of the Austrian Empire, took more land in Finland/Russia for unknown reasons.

- Lithuania is now Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire.

Is that an MP game? Also, what year is it in that map?
    Last edited by The Wizard; 01-30-2010 at 19:27.

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast