Thread: Britannia Divided: Units, Buildings, and Unit Stats

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Cthonic God of Deception Member ULC's Avatar
    In the swirling maddening chaos of the cosmos unseen to man...

Default Britannia Divided: Units, Buildings, and Unit Stats

I believe I speak for (almost) everyone when I say I have no idea what the units are for each faction, what they do, what the bodygaurd unit is , etc. So err, Rythmic, could you elaborate?

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Default Re: Units, Buildings, and Unit Stats

Summary of Units:

Key:
    • (Saxon/Anglian)
    • (Irish)
    • (Welsh)
    • (Pictish)
    • (Scottish)
    • (Viking)
    • (Regional)
    Last edited by naut; 04-07-2008 at 15:27.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Just a quick question. Do any factions share units that aren't necessarily the same culture?

Dumb question, but will the Norse be able to build churches? I wouldn't mind going catholic (although this hinders you) but it could help with loyalty for the vikings maybe.

I don't plan on making them able to, I might make Pagan Shrines give better loyalty bonuses.
    #Hillary4prism

Saxon Units: - Working

Mounted Æðelinȝ
    Mounted Eorls are the precursor to the medieval Knight. They are well equipped and trained, and less likely to flee the field than more common troops. The combination of their mobility and their fighting skill makes them a very effective medium cavalry, able to engage all but the heaviest opponents.

Éoredȝeríd
    Really just a foot warrior on horseback, these scouts add mobility to the battlefield and are good for chasing down routing troops. Although they are unlikely to dominate the battlefield, in the right place at the right time they can turn the tide of battle.

Húscarles
    Huscarles are the professional entourage of a King or Noble. In peacetime they act as a bodyguard and personal staff, and in times of war they are the professional spine of the leader's army. They are an elite chosen from the ranks of the Thegns, armed with swords and Dane-axes (axes in this mod).

Billweras
    These champion swordsmen use the Saxon Bill, a two-handed sword. Little could rival the honour provided by fighting in armed combat with a sword, as such these men are in a manner the very best warriors; armed and armoured in the best that can be provided.

Anȝonweras
    The angon is a fabled spear, used as a javelin. These Angon bands are well equipped, and capable of great deeds. The angon is a javelin made in one piece, that breaks or bends on impact; thus rendering the target immobilised.

Þeȝnes
    Þeȝnes are the middle class of Saxon society, land-owners who are required to serve their King or Lord in times of crisis for military obligations, the building of fortifications and civilian matters. In return they receive favour and better arms and armour.

Cymbrisc Ȝárwíȝend
    The men of Cymbria are noted for combining Celtic ferociousness with Saxon ferociousness. They fight as infantry in service of the Northern Kings, armed with a shield, spear and Brythonic spirit.

Ȝywre Heremenn
    The Celtic lands are noted for the fierceness of their warriors, and have been since ancient times. Gywre Heremenn make very effective light infantry, and give and effective counter against other Celtic units and fast skirmishing units.

Fyrdmenn
    Fyrdmenn are the men of a levied Fyrd. They combine the lower ranks (available for active duty if needed during a legislated number of weeks each year) and more professional troops (retained on duty rather than only called up at a time of crisis). They act as the rank-and-file of Saxon infantry, but have little in terms of protection other than an iron helm.

Ceorlas
    Ceorlas are the freemen of Saxon society, from which the levies of the Fyrd were gathered from mostly. They are armed with a spear and shield, supplied by their local Lord or Thegn.

Hundrademenn
    A hundrademann is one of a hundred levied by the reeve to defend the local area and act as policemen and wardens. They are most suitable as garrison troops, and can not be expected to act as a strong core of fighting men.

Ýrweras
    Archery is a survival skill: it helps put food on the table, assuming that the archer isn’t hanged as a poacher! Using the same skill in battle can bring down an armoured man, although short bows are not quite as efficient as true war bows.

Framæweras
    In a Saxon army of Essex, these men form the light skirmishing core. They are little more than Ceorls or Cotsetlas, armed with the Framæ (a type of spear), javelins and a round shield.

Æcerweras
    Literally meaning "farmer band", these men hold more status than a Gebur, but are lower than the Ceorlas or Cotsetlas. They can be levied into the Fyrd in times of crisis, or when better men are needed at the front. All they take to the fight is the few farming implements they own.
    Last edited by naut; 08-11-2008 at 13:37.
    #Hillary4prism