Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Age of Empires II

One easily trifled with Member Target Champion Motep's Avatar

Default Age of Empires II

The Best one of the series...I love it! Dont know why, I just do!...Persians Rule!

not much else to say...what can you say?
    TosaInu shall never be forgotten.

Handler of candles Member Xehh II's Avatar

Default Re: Age of Empires II

I hate Age of Empires II. It is a bad game that I don't like.
    Last edited by Xehh II; 06-15-2007 at 12:09.
    A ha ha! Rainbows and unicorns! Rainbows and unicorns!

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xehh II
    booo...its a fun game, but no multiplayer anymore :(
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Time for some Heathen Burning! Fire up the furnaces!

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Age of Empires II

Yeah, AoK was one of the best RTS I've ever played. I had quite a lot of fun with it, though it was quite often not that historically accurate.

Default Re: Re : Age of Empires II

I honestly prefer AOE 3. Except for the campaign. The AOE II campaigns were great while the AOE 3 one was terrible.

'My intelligence is not just insulted, it's looking for revenge with a gun and no mercy. ' - Frogbeastegg

SERA NIMIS VITA EST CRASTINA VIVE HODIE

The life of tomorrow is too late - live today!

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

AOE2 I still have..... Along with the First ones!!

It's a great game,better then AOE3.

Handler of candles Member Xehh II's Avatar

Why does everyone like Age of Empire II? I never liked it at all.
    A ha ha! Rainbows and unicorns! Rainbows and unicorns!

Quote Originally Posted by {BHC}KingWarman888

It's a great game,better then AOE3.
    I have to agree. I spent 50 bucks on the pos (AOE3) when it came out, and was nothing but dissapointed. Ah well...at least I still had AOE2

Default Sv: Re: Re : Age of Empires II

AOEII is easily the best in the series.
    AOEI - was ok, a bit small but ok.
    AOEII - was just awesome.
    AOM - was decent, fun seeing mythogical beings do battle with each other.
    AOEIII - ugghh nothing but a disappointment.

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

AoE II Expansion was the shiznitz.

Aztecs. Koreans. Huns. Where does the bliss end?
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

Why does everyone like Age of Empire II? I never liked it at all.
    I had a lot of fun with it.

That's the best reason to like any game.

AOEI is too simple. You can't just play it's (superior) sequel first and then try to regress, that doesn't make for a very good experience.

AOEIII -- for some reason I was bored very quickly with it. Ugh. May be it's the era: if I want the post-Medieval gun era I'll be playing EU3 thank you very much. With so much hype it was every bit as disappointing as B&W2 was to the legacy of Black&White.
    Last edited by AntiochusIII; 06-20-2007 at 01:10.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

I <3 AoE II and the Expansion. Spent many, many hours playing it; and in one case 12 hours in a row.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

I already spoke my peace in the other AoE thread. AoEII gives an awesome game of rock-paper-scissors, where Samurai beat Teutons beat Huscarls beat Longbowmen beat Mongols beat artillery beat castles beat rushes. AoEIII had almost no variance in the units, and the number of civilizations was staggeringly low.

I absolutely love playing the English. A wall of Longbowmen, fully upgraded with range, supported by trebuchets, can destroy anything coming close to them (except Huscarls, but I keep a few upgraded swordsmen in back-up just in case). When I owned a gaming store, we had a four-player LAN set up, and had totally epic battles playing regicide (the local favorite).
    Mongols are also another favorite of mine, and require a little more tactics than a standard army. Mobility is the key, but firepower is not too great. Use your uniques to defend your castles from trebuchets while you hit-and-run tactics on the enemy base.
    Vikings are awesome to play if you love infantry rushes, because their unique Berserkers regenerate, freeing up your priests to do their job of converting enemy buildings, rather than healing after battle.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kekvit Irae
    Mongols are also another favorite of mine, and require a little more tactics than a standard army. Mobility is the key, but firepower is not too great. Use your uniques to defend your castles from trebuchets while you hit-and-run tactics on the enemy base.
    That reminds me of what I used to do with the custom battles - cover half the map with elephants, and make a small squad of Mongol cavalry for my team, just to see how many I could kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Motep
    The Best one of the series...I love it! Dont know why, I just do!...Persians Rule!

elephant cuddling...
    Last edited by Kekvit Irae; 10-23-2007 at 02:18.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

I played it for so long.

Ahhhh, *Reminisces*
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jkarinen
    elephant cuddling...
    *chuckle*

But, once you get down to it, I like the goths better. instead of walls, make a bunch of towers. Do the research and crank out mass armies of huscarls from a barracks in no time. Of course, you need hoards of villagers, but I do that anyways, so it doesnt matter. Other crap that I forgot...But I might remmember!!! (likely not...)
    Last edited by Kekvit Irae; 10-23-2007 at 02:18.

I Love Aoeii! :)
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk
    I Love Aoeii! :)
    Yes...so do many, and all. Bow down to AOEII! Bow!! (or at least nod..)

Anyone got any good strategies?

Quote Originally Posted by AntiochusIII
    AOEIII -- for some reason I was bored very quickly with it. Ugh. May be it's the era: if I want the post-Medieval gun era I'll be playing EU3 thank you very much. With so much hype it was every bit as disappointing as B&W2 was to the legacy of Black&White.
    I think I liked AOE2, also, because it keeps the whole medieval thing going.

Retired Senior Member Prince Cobra's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wink Re: Age of Empires II

Quote Originally Posted by Kal 'Motep

Sweet memories. I still love this game, though I haven't played for year,I think. And the Byzantines rule!!!

As for the Persians: I like them to be my ally but forgive me, Kal' Motep but these can never be you enemy. Some good Orthodox monks and everything is fine. There was a good Indian film (though I have never watched it)
    'My friend the elephant '. This is my golden rule! *

* And I do not know why but I have the weakness to collect foerign units. I am really addicted to this

_____

Why I love this game: I do not know: life for the first sight.
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 07-21-2007 at 16:04.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

AOEII is nothing but happy memories.

I played one LAN game with 4 friends on Iberia. I made the stupid mistake of being an idiot and going random so they wouldn't be able to choose a nation they know they can counter me with.

There is only one of my friends who is the other big power in all our LAN games, and is the only one who can effectively counter what I do. So all the other players join with either him or me.

The game started and I had ... Mayans *dramatic chord*

Somehow (I still can't fully understand how I did it) I managed to defeat both the Byzantines and Persians pretty much single handedly despite losing all my bases on the continent and having to flee to a resource depleted Africa. I managed to land in the Byzantine base, clear it out from the inside out, and then defeat the Persians head on.

I can't do that now though, I've lost the knack I used to have for the game, and now my adversary usually gets the better of me. Though for some reason I find it just as fun losing as it is wining.

Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat
    AOEII is nothing but happy memories.

I played one LAN game with 4 friends on Iberia. I made the stupid mistake of being an idiot and going random so they wouldn't be able to choose a nation they know they can counter me with.

There is only one of my friends who is the other big power in all our LAN games, and is the only one who can effectively counter what I do. So all the other players join with either him or me.

The game started and I had ... Mayans *dramatic chord*

Somehow (I still can't fully understand how I did it) I managed to defeat both the Byzantines and Persians pretty much single handedly despite losing all my bases on the continent and having to flee to a resource depleted Africa. I managed to land in the Byzantine base, clear it out from the inside out, and then defeat the Persians head on.

I can't do that now though, I've lost the knack I used to have for the game, and now my adversary usually gets the better of me. Though for some reason I find it just as fun losing as it is wining.
    Reminds me of the time was fighting my father, my cousin, and one of my cousin's friends in the scandinavian map. I (vikings) was allied with my dad (byzantines), and my cousin (aztec) and his friend (goths) were allied. It was well at first, but then my cousin and his friend killed my father off in one sweep. I built a few transports and stocked them with villagers just in case. they rounded on me (each with 150+ troops), and I was able to hold them off for a while. Then, they managed to break through my four layered wall and lay waste to my capital. My villagers in the transports were allready busy building me another base in the south (where they werent) and had finished half-way by the time my home base was lost. I managed to build up an army, and easily invaded (they do not believe in navies...) and sacked his place. I rushed back home, leaving his capital in ruins, though he was not defeated as my cousin arrived. I built up again and assaulted, destroying the goths at the expense of most of my army (three berserkers survived the battle, thanks to my cousins cavalry) My cousin then tried to invade me, but I had lined the coast with towers and builty a seven layered wall (with towers thrown in) on my only connection to the rest of the land, so he never even got close. I waited untill after he lost another ship, and invade his capital. It took me three tries (each with 130-150 men) to destroy him once and for all. Long ass game, that one.

Retired Senior Member Prince Cobra's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wink Re: Age of Empires II

Interesting story, Motep. To tell you the truth I rarely played in Multi player. Tactics can give you the victory, which is what i love in this game. I also have very interesting game...

Actually, my allies then were Turks, Goths, the Japanes and me (Byzantines). Enemies: Chinese, Saracens, Byzantines (nasty rebels ) and so called Britons ( I have always wondered why Britons since their rulers are only English and the Scots and the Welsh are in the Celtic group). The map Black forest

It was an irony that in the very beginning of the game I mocked the Chinese Chu Ko Nu for their low attack... Never underestimate your enemy. The Chinese managed to defeat my small army, passed the IV period and started do destoy my walls. Their trebuchet was situated just behind their wall so i could not do anything I was in the 3d epoch... At the same time my ally the Japanese was fighing against the tratior and reached their capital. However they were very exhausted and my enemies were developing well... At the same time armies (enemy and allied) headed for the Japanese lands.

Since I am a bit busy... So you may guess what have happened or give me idea what you would have done . My resources were, I think not many (I think they were enough to pass IV but I have plenty of food too) there was lack of gold since the Chinese had occupied almost all unexhausted goldmine in the area!

To morrow I would finish , if you want of course
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Asen
    Interesting story, Motep. To tell you the truth I rarely played in Multi player. Tactics can give you the victory, which is what i love in this game. I also have very interesting game...

Actually, my allies then were Turks, Goths, the Japanes and me (Byzantines). Enemies: Chinese, Saracens, Byzantines (nasty rebels ) and so called Britons ( I have always wondered why Britons since their rulers are only English and the Scots and the Welsh are in the Celtic group). The map Black forest

It was an irony that in the very beginning of the game I mocked the Chinese Chu Ko Nu for their low attack... Never underestimate your enemy. The Chinese managed to defeat my small army, passed the IV period and started do destoy my walls. Their trebuchet was situated just behind their wall so i could not do anything I was in the 3d epoch... At the same time my ally the Japanese was fighing against the tratior and reached their capital. However they were very exhausted and my enemies were developing well... At the same time armies (enemy and allied) headed for the Japanese lands.

Since I am a bit busy... So you may guess what have happened or give me idea what you would have done . My resources were, I think not many (I think they were enough to pass IV but I have plenty of food too) there was lack of gold since the Chinese had occupied almost all unexhausted goldmine in the area!

To morrow I would finish , if you want of course
    Yes, go on.

Personally I prefer the StarWars version, not because its setting is better, but because of the overall performance.
    It looks better overall.
    Units of one faction look different from those of other factions.
    The bar with food and wood and such is at the bottom as well, gives some clearity.

But the setting of Age of Empires 2 is better, far better.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Oof, Galactic Battlegrounds was awful. Though maybe I just got over my love affair for "Resource Transit System" games while playing it.

I had a lot of fun with AOE2, but I couldn't go back. The campaigns were hard (or I was just a real noob) though.

Aye, it was an awfull rip-off, but as I said on some parts it was far better.

Imagine Aztecs with Man-At-Arms, surely they should look as Aztecs?

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good
    Oof, Galactic Battlegrounds was awful. Though maybe I just got over my love affair for "Resource Transit System" games while playing it.
    Agreed. It was horrible. But it did have something new that AoE didnt: air units. However, I'd still prefer Empire Earth for aerial battles than Galactic Battlegrounds.
    Last edited by Kekvit Irae; 07-28-2007 at 23:08.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast