Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: England: Turn by turn (links provided here)

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

Default Re: England: Turn by turn (links provided here)

Oh very well. I can sleep when I die. Here comes simoa.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Yet more of my frothing mad conquest of the world. With pictures! And more pithy commentary.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Rufus lays seige to the French dogs. Seriously... Rufus? That is as bad as Fido or Fifi. All Hail KING FIFI.

-"What of the reports of rebel forces massing near Sollest?"

-"It is of no concern. Soon the rebellion will be crushed and young Skywalker will be one of us. Your work here is finished, my friend. Go out to the command ship and await my orders."

-"But there's... pirates!"

-"Get on the boat, you big mechanically breathing baby. By the way, you sucked in episode II."

How to stick it to Paris and Rheims in one turn: Ballistas. Not so threatening anymore, are they?

Pamplona, or Pampy for short, is mine. Now I backstab the Spainish AND their treacherous yet adorable Puss n Boots.

England leaves a swath of destruction all the way to Africa. But, in a saintly sort of way. They may have conquered the world, but they are really polite and cultured. Plus, tea.

His Pompousness the Pope has politely denied my request to continue raping and pillaging the French countryside. Better find a plan B or else this quick conquest will take forever... I know! Let's randomly attack the Germans.

"The honorable??? Hmm... he's not intelligent, good looking, or brave... but that man can keep a promise!"
    How about some other crappy names...

"John the Punctual"

"Leon the Perfect Attendance Record holder"

"Saint George who Means well"

"Prince Theodore the Properly-Flossed"

"John The Bloated and Wears Spandex"

Nicholas the Saint moves westward to crush the Moors... wait! They have armies that can kill us! We had better be stealthy about it. Hide our massive army of cavalry in those shrubs over there. They aren't hard to find, there's only three of them.

Oh but the French are begging for me to crush them... can't I, Pope? Can't I? Pretty please? I'll send you some *ahem* tithing florins... after all, God needs money to build His church... and swords, gotta have swords.

Oh, the Moors have outmaneuvered me. I had better charge straight through them like a drunken idiot and 'accidentally' hit their capital along the way to my boat.

I am conquering the world so fast, I am apparently catching up with sunrise. Looks like Portugal is about to get a sudden jolt in the night.

More to come... only 40 more turns to go until everyone dies.

Bonus extra credit... which letter am I missing? And do you know what I am talking about?
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 06-17-2007 at 14:04. Reason: misspelled "weltanshauung"
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

More zany action with crazy contraptions. And useless captions.

England prepares to knock the stuffin' out of Staufen.

The path to Lisbon is paved with blood. Meanwhile; Leon, Spain's final bastion and sanctuary, is about to become a puppet of the British Empire.

...British? Listen, I gave up a long time ago trying to figure out if I was British, English, Norman... I am all of the above and 1/16th Cherokee. But definitely not Irish.

He foolishly attacks the Moorish capital. It may not be apparent because of the fog of war, but there are a couple stacks just outside of viewing range about to slay me. There's no way to hold the city even if I win.

But then again, pillaging is fun and cripples your foe. So, am I brilliantly stupid, or stupidly brilliant?

His popefullness has apparently decided to cut into my empire-building business. I sent two diplomats just in case one gets assassinated.

He is properly addressed as:
    Pope John Pope the Popefull (the Popeteenth), from Pope, Arkansas.

OR

Pope Smurf the Smurfy of Smurfton. The Smurfiest Smurf that ever Smurfed.

AKA Papa Smurf.

Sacked Marrakesh, much to the dismay of the Moors who foolishly didn't crush me when they had the chance. Was it luck, or bad AI programming?
    Maybe his Popeiness (oohhh, that's baaaad if you say it wrong) would like this wretched hole as a gift?

Portugal has built her last boat. She will soon be a province of the Mighty Normanobritfrenspanglish Empire. Plus Algeria, but then of course, it would just be too weird.

I mean, who ever heard of the Algerionormanobritospanglishfrenchglish Empire?

...somebody better post a 'lol@Frenchglish'. Let's just say I'm not doing this because it pays well.

I redundantly posted another redundant shot of Toledo. If I were to guess, I would say that I was trying to highlight how the Spanish went rebel. Which is kind of dumb, because you would already know that when I sacked Leon. Poor Leon... he was such a ladies' man.

Someone better get that reference.

See how the AI cheats? The French just pulled an entire stack of troops directly out of their ass. I don't feel guilty about crushing them now.

Little do they realize just how many soldiers I've pulled out of mine during my lifetime.

You heard me. Well, technically you saw it. The typing, that is... not the acts in question... never mind.

Did you ever tell a joke that just kept going? This is becoming increasingly less relevant to the pictures.

Nothin but time on my hands. Maybe I am just delaying you intentionally.

I could do this all day.

I have less of a life than you.

My imaginary girlfriend keeps me warm at night.

Ok, next picture:

I run cowardly away from the fight and give the sitting duck Marrakesh to the Popeiest Pope that ever... uh, Poped.

You heard me. This stuff doesn't HAVE to make sense.

The vultures are circling... but did you know, France will be dead and gone before I even get to crush them inside those walls? Once the cease hostilities period is over, Frenchie gonna die.

Wait and see.

You watched it.... you can't UN-watch it. Tune in again soon for more...

TALES

OF

INTEREST!!!!
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 06-17-2007 at 16:15.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

It's the thread that is almost entirely supported by myself. People might start to think I am a schitzo.

Me, myself, and I, Tighty Righty and Lefty Lucy will be having tea together. You're all invited to join us and the toes.

You don't know with whom you're dealing... I have been keeping myself occupied for 24 years now.

Seriously, feel free to comment.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Blah. People are watching but too afraid to say anything. You know, never disturb a psycho when he is having a chat with himself.

Btw, lol@Frenchglish.
    Pinky: "Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
    The Brain: "The same thing we do every night, Pinky - Try to take over the world!"

Ok,ok askthepizzaguy..

Look at my eyes..Watch them..Okaaay..Your eyes is getting heaver..Sshhhht... Let's sleep...

Guru, run for your live my friend,it's our chance
    The Truth is from thy Lord; so be not at all in doubt. The Heifer (Al-Baqarah)-147

The continuing saga. Britain invades Germany, prepares coup de grace of the Moors and the French.

Staufen is about to become British

Cordoba is surrounded

Marrakesh rebels, enabling me to take it back from Papa Smurf.

Staufen captured. The Holy Roman Empire begins to crumble from this sudden, devastating blitz invasion.

That rebel stack could be trouble, so I am actually eliminating it.

Undefended cities are an open invitation for an invasion. I have nothing to lose.

The Moors are about to become extinct.

Losses from fighting the rebel Spanish stack were not too bad, and that pretty much wraps up northern Spain.

More will come shortly. Will resume humorous captions when some occur to me.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 06-19-2007 at 09:17.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

France and the Moors become extinct. The HRE crumbles before your eyes. I obliterate Milan in about 4 turns.

Dijon typically rebels unless you deal with the high heresy in the region. Reinforcements arrive to quell dissent.

Peacenik Pope finally allows me to smash the French this turn with a sudden, deadly, ballista strike on their king, eliminating them from the game (even though they have 3 other regions). Ballistas are great for annihiliating an entire faction in a single turn to avoid excommunication or cease hostilities messages. Also, I call a crusade on Baghdad! My vast army joins the fight and I gain lots of florins next turn due to no upkeep on most of my troops. My budget woes are finally over!

Nuremburg falls. I stupidly move towards Baghdad.

One of the armies by Cordoba uses the movement bonus to go for the Marrakesh province.

Cordoba prepares to surrender.

All is quiet in France. Next turn, I begin massive recruitment here thanks to the extra florins. See those two rebel stacks? Those are potential general makers. Mmm... free generals. Generals + troops = more crusaders.

The HRE foolishly excommunicates themselves, apparently by attacking either poland or Denmark. This means they're gonna die.

The last of the Iberian peninsula falls to England.

Marrakesh falls to England next turn.

Walter lands in Algeria in order to avoid being sunk at sea by pirates. Plus, there is a castle there which can recruit good troops to join my sacred quest to slay Baghdad.

Marseille falls next turn.

King Fifi is well armed, but the Milanese have good troops. I'll smash them anyway if they backstab me, which they will. It never fails.

All standing armies in Spain leave for Baghdad.

Milan gets excommunicated. I couldn't resist. Marseille falls.

Check out Eystein Tryggvasson. What kind of a goofy Viking name is that? Meanwhile, the HRE's capital is about to fall.

Troops and generals in England join the crusade as well. Nonstop recruitment pays off.

The Pope (or Papa Smurf, as I call him) is pretty badass. He has taken at least two provinces, and lords over Rome as well. He has 3 stacks of troops, I believe. So much for 'blessed are the meek'.

Sicily, my ally, has not conquered a single province since I made peace with them. The FOOLS! Even Venice beat them to Tripoli, and the Pope... yes, good ole Papa Smurf... beat them to Tunis. Their incompetence will be their undoing. I expect my allies to be strong.

My prince lays seige to the greatest fortress in the Holy Roman Empire. Sends reinforcements around the back way.

Prepares to wipe Milan off of my boot and then stomp Venice.

France becomes a giant recruitment region. All troops prepare for the crusade in progress.

Note how I stopped my advance into Africa. I will get those final two provinces on my last few turns without wasting a good general in the Sahara.

My vast empire becomes a vicious horde of zealots.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 06-19-2007 at 09:25.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Bye, bye HRE. See you later, Milan. Venice becomes crippled. I prepare my invasion of Greece and Egypt and Denmark. Oh, the humanity!

Crusader troops are easy to recruit in catholic regions. There are usually hordes just waiting to join your cause. Always make a detour through Italy when Crusading.

Also, check out Jerusalem and the surrounding regions. Great crusader troops usually sit right there.

Milan's pathetic little island is about to fall. Does anyone ever actually use Ajaccio for any reason? Here, they wasted florins turning it into a castle. Why? Milan's best early troops come exclusively from cities.

Meanwhile, Venice is about to fall. Believe it or not, they got themselves excommunicated as well by pissing SOMEone off. I don't know or care who.

Um... better shot of Venice getting pwned. Bologna is going to be a bloody battle. Look at the size of their army.

Magdeburg falls. Peasants in Stettin embrace their British liberators.

Yet more recruitment in England. I never, ever stop. Next turn will be 3 stacks.

Preparing my troops for training against the rebel punching bags.

Yet more rebels prepare to die. Their blood will paint the way to the future!

Spain joins France and England in recruiting yet more troops. You can never, ever have too many troops. Ever.

...Ever.

Bob the Saint rests in Algeria on his way to the Bloody Crescent.

Snags Cagliari.

Venice becomes British state. Beware the Inquisitor. Say... that Greek babe in the purple dress is hot. Maybe I can give her a job at a brothel once I slay her entire family.

Stettin falls.

Notice how my general left the crusade here. These troops will become the garrison of this newly conquered settlement, ending their crusade, enabling me to attack (with said troops) the Danish, who are NOT excommunicated.

I prepare the British invasion of Greece.

Bologna will fall. The Holy Roman Empire, neither Holy, nor Roman, nor an empire any longer, becomes a puppet of England.

Targeting Denmark, Byzantium, and Egypt. When the crusade ends, Poland will fall. (They aren't excommunicated, neither is Hungary, unfortunately).

The slaughter is just beginning...
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

The stage is set for a bloody battle in Greece. The Byzantines pose the greatest challenge to British domination thus far.

-You ugly old hog.
    -"WHAT DID YOU SAY???"
    -I said I've always wanted to visit Prague.

Prince Morris heads to slaughter Denmark.

Aelfgar and Michell the Saints reinforce the Prince, from England. See the cooridinated strategy?

I grow weary of Metz' independence. They must accept British rule.

Vienna becomes English. A single rebel unit of some sort attempts to ambush me, but chickens out at the last minute.

The Prince, flanked by the armies of Christ, betrays the Danish.

James the Apostle prepares to reinforce my reinforcements.

Henry frees himself from babysitting Cordoba.

The invasion of Byzantine begins with a sudden sneak attack on their entire western front.

Town militas aren't usually that scary. But when you have 1500 of them, and they are religious zealots led by a fanatical general...

I continue my advance into Danish territory. Hamburg falls to British rule.

Armies march through Eastern Europe to join the crusade against Constantinople... I mean Baghdad.

Corinth and Durazzo enjoy British rule, in the loosest sense of the word. Armies march onward to Thessalonica.

...Ouch, this battle is going to be really bloody. They have two whole stacks and their best general.

More reinforcements advance eastward as quickly as possible.

Bologna falls. The HRE is no more. The german rebels get no reprieve.

Metz falls, solidifying Britian's hold all the way to Innsbruck.

Yes, more adopted generals spawn in England. Not letting them go to waste, I recruit them some fresh meat and join the crusade. (Who saw that coming?)

Captain Symond prepares for battle. Will he become royalty? We shall see how well he fights.

Aelfgar the Saint leaves the crusade, allows his troops to become a garrison.
    Oh the humanity! Oh the tactical exploit!

I dare the Danish king to lay seige to his former fortress.

There is about to be a battle of epic proportions. I will lay the smacketh down.

Thessalonica... turn 33. The stage is set for a massacre of Biblical proportions. Will the Purple-wearing Greeks turn back the endless tide of the English army? Or will the English stomp all over their candy asses?

Tune in again soon for the thrilling conclusion of England v. The World.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

The end of Venice. Egypt gets bloodied up. Russia tastes the back of my hand. The Poles get their first taste of English steel. Denmark feels the pain.

Bob the Saint prepares to single-handedly cripple Egypt.

I move troops into position to ambush what's left of Denmark's forces.

I am about to pick a fight with Russia. Apparently I have a grudge against the entire world. Maybe I need to get laid more.

I am ruthless and bloodthirsty. I don't want there to be anything left of Russia, so I bring in reinforcements from Denmark.

I prepare to finish off the Venetian Cretins. Or is it Cretans?

The Byzantine faction leader is no more. I advance on to Constanti... wait! It's been conquered by Hungarians!

Curses and DRAT.

See? I meant it when I said I wanted to wipe the Venetians off the map.
    Note the lone ballista laying seige to Zagreb. I like to harass. If they do nothing, it cuts off their trade.

Alexandria has FALLEN! I massacre the local population.
    Well, I'm officially a genocidal maniac now. If the rest of the world had any sense they would all simultaneously declare war on me while they had the chance. I never said this campaign was going to be ethical.

Cairo prepares to be slaughtered. Ok, Ok, I'll spare the women and children.
    Deep down I'm not such a bad guy. I am "the Saint" after all.

Nicaea is surrounded. Let the butchering begin.

Too bad the crusade is still in effect. I move troops into position to massacre the Polish army. For sentimental reasons, I wish these folks would accept my rule without a fight. I've nothing against the civilians.

I lay waste to Russia's greatest city.

Zagreb is surrounded. Ragusa falls to the British army.

I smash the Danish king. Their capital is now defenseless!

I sack Cairo. The Hungarians made it all the way to Baghdad before I did. So, I need pillaging florins. I was, believe it or not, over 30,000 florins in DEBT before I sacked this city.

God, they must have been rich.
    Look at the map. Britain's might becomes readily apparent.

The Danes watch helplessly as their capital is taken.

With the abrupt conclusion of the crusade, my armies are in place to lay waste to Poland.

Loefwine, by the way, is the only general I ever lose in battle. He will be sorely missed. He is about to be ambushed by another Polish stack hiding out of sight.

He does NOT go down without a bloody fight. This is the only major battle that I lose during the entire campaign. I should have reloaded, but I make it a point to swallow my serious errors and move on. Flukes, like a general getting hit by a ballista or dying for apparently no reason, I reload. Not when they go down fighting brilliantly and bravely.

Had I not attempted to take Breslau with my other stack, he would have survived.

With Venice wiped off the face of the Earth, I ready my forces against Hungary.

That is a scary sight. Strength in numbers, my friends.

The general I had camped out in Tunis/Sicily moved down to take the shores of Tripoli. No more Venetian scum. Next: Sicilians will die.

In honor of my fallen comrade, captain Loefwine heads to Timbuktu in order to finish off Africa. This takes a loooooooong time. I barely finish off Africa before the last of the remaining provinces are taken.

More to come. The world shakes in fear as the English juggernaut advances.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Leave any comments or questions you like. I will respond personally to each one.

The more interest I see, the quicker I will post more of the campaign.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

go askthepizzaguy go !

Anyway,I wonder that how do you prevent from revolts?And how do you make your people happy so much?

I know how I make my people happy but playing as HORDE makes this so difficult Yeah.. I wonder..
    The Truth is from thy Lord; so be not at all in doubt. The Heifer (Al-Baqarah)-147

*Sitting in the auditorium with Amon* "Cut! Cut! More feeling! More passion!"

Did you actually fight every battle or did you use auto-resolve?
    How was your reputation in the end? Not that it really matters since the other factions are...
    Pinky: "Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
    The Brain: "The same thing we do every night, Pinky - Try to take over the world!"

Quote Originally Posted by -Amon-
    go askthepizzaguy go !

Anyway,I wonder that how do you prevent from revolts?And how do you make your people happy so much?

I know how I make my people happy but playing as HORDE makes this so difficult Yeah.. I wonder..
    I don't worry about revolts from Catholic factions. Only Dijon or high heresy cities are considered a problem. Priests can cure that.

Muslim and orthodox factions either need to be sacked and filled with a garrison, or sacked and sacked and sacked, or exterminated.

If I am in a hurry to get somewhere and I know another crusade will only require an extra turn to pick it back up, I let it revolt.

See Marrakesh, Cairo, Nicaea? I let them revolt and picked them up again later. I had stuff to do.

Sacking and dismantling buildings and moving on CRIPPLES whomever you do that to. Now their city is in disorder and unable to defend itself OR resupply their armies.

This is TOTAL war, not a polite disagreement.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Quote Originally Posted by Guru
    *Sitting in the auditorium with Amon* "Cut! Cut! More feeling! More passion!"

Did you actually fight every battle or did you use auto-resolve?
    How was your reputation in the end? Not that it really matters since the other factions are...
    I agree... sorry, not a whole lot of jokes this time. I had an expletive deleted amount of photos to post, and frankly they weren't that funny.

In the beginning of the campaign, there were lots of clever tactics to employ. Now, in the middle game, it is strictly seek, sack, and destroy.

Kind of hard to write clever caption jokes about exterminating egyptians. That's a little dark even for me.

The whole idea of this post is to show the strategy, tactics used, and movement required to make the world your own by turn 58. It wasn't originally intended as a joke piece.

I fought the pitched battles. No sense in fighting a battle an idiot could win. I only use my general skills when there is need for a serious general on the field. When brute force is enough to win, and the tactic is charge, surround and slay, and it's not even a close fight, there is no sense in fighting it yourself.

Closely fought seiges were where I needed to be, and WHENEVER my generals got attacked on the field by a big army, I fought those battles to protect my general (and troops, I suppose... pfft. Peasants.)

Reputation was pretty much disastrous by the end. Whatever the bottom level was, that was me. I betrayed allies, exterminated their cities, and betrayed more allies.

Frankly, I was Germany in world war II. That's what my reputation was like by the end. Unfortunately for the world, the bad guys won this game.

I can shrug that off because it is just a game.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

There will be more posts soon. I am a college student and homework takes priority over fun, I am afraid.

I do have a question for you... would you folks like me to post all of the rest of the screenshots? I have a bunch. Maybe it would be quicker to post only the big events and describe in detail what happened between shots.

The narrative would move more quickly, but you would miss out on uh... stuff.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Because I laid waste to the entire world before the Mongols arrived, you were apparently deprived of England's massive armies taking on little Mongolia. I am thinking about extending this post to include the Mongol invasion.

I'll even include screenshots of the battles. Apologies in advance if it seems like Britain is winning them all. Because they will be.

I don't worry too much about the Mongols, they're harmless really. It's so cute the way they try to strike fear into the hearts of mortal men. They are just a bunch of cuddly bunnies to me. Oh, look at the cute little Mongol general with the maxed out dread. I'm shaking, I'm shaking! See him ride the pony into battle like a big boy?

He's got funny looking whiskers, mommy. Can I pet him?

Ooops! I accidentally stepped on it.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 06-19-2007 at 14:20.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Makedonios Ksanthopoulos Member Privateerkev's Avatar

I wish to applaud you on both your endevour and your ability to crowd out all else that could be important in your life with what is essentially a glorified board game (albiet a fun one). My favorite faction is the English so I was intrigued by the notion of winning in 60 turns. But, after reading all of your posts and captions, for which I deserve both an award and years of therapy, I see now what people mean when they speak of the "spam-conquer" method of playing total war. Pretty much any game can be broken down to math and when you do that, you can figure out what is the mechanically best method to achieve victory parameters in the quickest possible time. I have just never seen such in-depth proof of this method being used, for which you deserve both praise and pity. I prefer the slower method of role-playing the British Empire but that probably has to do with the fact that I am a history grad-student studying the British Empire. I rather turn the Isles in a massive economic powerhouse and then capture colonies out of the European continent. But to each his own. If you keep the pictures coming, I'll keep reading them. We'll laugh together. We'll cry together. I just hope that one day you'll let yourself get some sleep so you can have the energy to do this test with every faction (you had to have known what you've started).

*sits back and grabs the popcorn to watch the next installment of "The British Empire Strikes Back (or first...)*

Knight of the Order of St. John
    Duke of Nicosia

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

LOL that's what you gotta love the English for: their English ! LMFAO ! that was very well said.
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

Who's english? mine? My english is good ole Midwest USA English with a touch of academic pretension thrown in for good measure. ^_^

Duke of Nicosia

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

I was referring to the language, theirs. I did think think you were English. It's not the first time I've seen an American with very good English, perhaps they teach very "English_English" in the Midwest. I know a young man from thereabouts who could easily be mistaken for a very entertaining, well spoken and affluent Victorian diplomat (no pun intended).
    Last edited by Shahed; 06-19-2007 at 21:10.
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

Quote:
    Originally Posted by askthepizzaguy
    In response to your first question, I honestly do not know. But you can find out! Generally, a faction with fewer provinces won't part with any. Try getting Milan to give up one of their two cities and it probably won't happen. France, England, HRE, Byzantium, and the Turks begin with multiple provinces, and they would therefore be up for grabs early on.

However, I recommend against purchasing. You can simply conquer in most cases. I simply did it to double the size of England on turn 1.

In other cases, those florins are better spent on troops. Unless you can get an extremely good bargain.

As for your second question;

Crusader/Jihad capable factions have the ability to recruit cheap troops and mercenaries and maintain them at no cost during a holy mission. This can triple the size of your army. To jumpstart this tactic, get several generals. Use town militia and cavalry to attack wandering rebels and fight non-seige battles to promote captains. Then, after you have a mess of crappy troops and a ton of generals, declare a holy war. Join EVERYone that you can to this war.

Then, recruit more town milita and cavalry and repeat while the crusade/jihad is still active (first 10 turns). You will quadruple the size of your army.

CAUTION! When the Jihad ends, or the crusade ends, you will have massive numbers of troops and NO FUNDING.

You will maintain them through deficit spending. Try to sack as many cities as possible while in debt, because you can remain afloat if you backstab anyone within range you can conquer.

Try not to lose any generals or too many troops in the process, and LET THE CITIES REBEL if you need to keep your troop levels up. When the next crusade or Jihad begins, sack it again and then keep it. Two sacks means double the florins, and equals an extermination. Unless you feel like you don't need the florins for some reason, just exterminate immediately and leave a sizeable garrison and move on (useful when there are plenty of crusader troops to recruit nearby)

Make expensive troops. They cost nothing once they join up, enabling you to build more. It's both cheap in terms of a tactic and in terms of economics.

In response to your third question, How many factions can a 900 pound gorilla knock over until everyone else gangs up on him? Answer: as many as he wants. Who cares if everyone else gangs up on you. If they declare war on you, it betters your chance of them getting excommunicated instead of you. And if you are playing the 'honorable' way, with a flawless reputation, this enables you to war with everyone without harming your rep. Although you have to play in a VERY chivalrous way to conquer the world and have a perfect reputation. (no sacking/extermination, no backstabbing, and lots and lots and lots and lots of bribes all around).

To more directly answer your question, it seems almost random. Sometimes the computer backstabs you first, all at once. Other times you're halfway through slaying two of your former allies before the world turns on you. Still others, half the continent.

But be prepared. The AI is NOT to be trusted. No one should ever be completely trusted. And since they WILL turn on you eventually, 99% of the time, why not fight them on your own terms? Backstab them.

Reputation is for the weak. Bribe the pope and just dont get excommunicated. Thats all you need to do to have both hands free to annihilate the whole world.

And the reply from Rebellious Waffle:

I just gave your suggestions a whirl on a Venice campaign -- not completely yet, I've only got 36 provinces on turn 75 -- but it's a huge improvement over what I was doing before. A few crusader stacks from Antioch provided the final push to take down the Byzantines, and a lucky Holy Roman Empire excommunication let me Crusade on Frankfurt, taking all their starting provinces and about half of France in four turns. Byzantium, most of France, Germany, Hungary, Sicily, Milan, Tunisia, Corisa and Sardinia are all mine, for a GDP of approximately 50,000 florins per turn. (Venice has great militia units, so I usually get 20,000-30,000 per turn to spend on construction, bribes and recruitment because of free city garrisons.)

Before this, I never really appreciated the awesomeness of spies and assassins -- my earlier approach was more chivalrous, not so much of a brothel to be found anywhere. (Who wants Extravagant generals?) Soon after conquering Constantinople, the Turks called a Jihad; not being enthusiastic about other people's hordes, I sent a flock of assassins out to shake hands with doorknobs.

(Jihad army - general) = (no jihad)

Long story short, Turkey lost eight family members, a gaggle of imams, some merchants and more diplomats than were strictly necessary. A ceasefire ensued -- and that lovely "failed jihad" noise that sounds like a manic-depressive accordion. Plus, Doge Bartolomeo got "the Killer" added to his name. Yay terrorism!

"Despicable" means "mad stylin' ", right?

-The above was an email exchange regarding how it is possible to be more, shall we say, proactive and expedient, in slaughtering the AI.

Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow. I can feel your anger. It gives you focus; makes you stronger. With each passing moment you make yourself MORE my servant!
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Quote Originally Posted by Privateerkev
    I wish to applaud you on both your endevour and your ability to crowd out all else that could be important in your life with what is essentially a glorified board game (albiet a fun one). My favorite faction is the English so I was intrigued by the notion of winning in 60 turns. But, after reading all of your posts and captions, for which I deserve both an award and years of therapy, I see now what people mean when they speak of the "spam-conquer" method of playing total war. Pretty much any game can be broken down to math and when you do that, you can figure out what is the mechanically best method to achieve victory parameters in the quickest possible time. I have just never seen such in-depth proof of this method being used, for which you deserve both praise and pity. I prefer the slower method of role-playing the British Empire but that probably has to do with the fact that I am a history grad-student studying the British Empire. I rather turn the Isles in a massive economic powerhouse and then capture colonies out of the European continent. But to each his own. If you keep the pictures coming, I'll keep reading them. We'll laugh together. We'll cry together. I just hope that one day you'll let yourself get some sleep so you can have the energy to do this test with every faction (you had to have known what you've started).

*sits back and grabs the popcorn to watch the next installment of "The British Empire Strikes Back (or first...)*
    Come, boy... see for yourself. From here you will witness the final destruction of the alliance... and the end of your insignificant rebellion. Your fleet is lost, and your friends down there on the sanctuary moon will not survive.

...There is no escape.

Yes, in response to your comments, in order to pull of this freak show of epic proportions I have had to sacrifice what could have been a life. It IS both brilliant and pitiful. Of course, the extraordinary must always make sacrifices, sometimes good, sometimes bad.

I however, do guarantee that the economic powerhouse will be achieved, eventually, and generate more wealth than doing this the relatively peaceful and honorable way. When this campaign is over, there is generally no need for standing armies at this point, and all the provinces belong to the victor. At this point, there is simply no way to spend the money fast enough. Seriously, building whatever is the most expensive in each city, all the cities combined, not even close. You almost have to have a standing army to prevent your massive bloated budget surplus from wreaking havoc on your generals non-corrupt traits.

This maximum slash-and-burn method simply gets you to the point of owning all the provinces quicker, and by that point you have all the money in the world to improve your cities... and with no need to fund armies, every settlement can be a city, and every city can be built up by you.

It is quicker to build it up yourself than let the AI do it.

Now... back to the clone wars... from the ashes of which rise the first galactic empire.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Yes but I want to play with more units than just town militia...

rofl

:D

"your overconfidence is your greatest weakness"

Duke of Nicosia

Carnifex Maximus Member Rebellious Waffle's Avatar

Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow. I can feel your anger. It gives you focus; makes you stronger. With each passing moment you make yourself MORE my servant!
    Only now, at the end, do I understand.

"Wars not make one great."

Also, as much as I admire how you can spam the known world with endless hordes of town militia, I just enjoy watching fully upgraded Retinue Longbowman set Elephants on fire too much to forego upgrading in order to see how quickly I can beat a program(and not even a very smart program).

Duke of Nicosia

Could this be an allusion to the second star wars trilogy?

Queen Amidala... has she signed the treaty?

I have the Senate bogged down in procedures. I will see to it that things in the Senate stay as they are.

The droid armies of the trade federation prepare their assault on Naboo.

"...begin landing your troops."

The gungans field their "granda armee", led by Jar Jar Binks. For now, their shield is still up, but the imperial forces advance.

The Outer Rim territories begin to fall.

We must move quickly. The Jedi are relentless... if they are not all destroyed it will be civil war without end.

I want you to go to the Jedi temple... we will catch them off balance. Every single Jedi, including your friend, Obi-wan Kenobi, is now an enemy of the Republic.

Master Anakin... what are you doing here?

Kashyyyk is about to fall.

The rebels on ice planet Hoth are under seige by imperial forces.

The Senate has ordered a cease-fire! They are threatening to pull funding from the war! Gaghhhh.... I want that treaty signed.

The Empire will not be stopped... unless it's the Byzantine empire. Iconium becomes a Sith world.

More imperial forces arrive near Naboo from interstellar space...

Surprise!

I've waited a long time for this.... my little... gray... friend...

3 entire legions of my best troops await them.

The rebels have routed one of my garrisons and taken control of the town.

Oh wait... that was Braveheart, not Star Wars.

The last remnants of the Mandalorians fall to the Empire.

I begin my assault against the Jedi scum.

The Jedi temple falls.

Coruscant falls under the control of the Emperor.

The gungans' shield is down. Wipe them out.... all of them.

Next: A new hope, perhaps?
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Quote Originally Posted by Privateerkev
    Yes but I want to play with more units than just town militia...

rofl

:D

"your overconfidence is your greatest weakness"
    Your faith in your friends is yours.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Carnifex Maximus Member Rebellious Waffle's Avatar

"Never underestimate the power of a few large men on small horses to change the world."

I like seeing how much money I can leech out of Constantinople. A Fairground, Warehouse and Merchant Bank have improved the amount of trade goods to such an extent that the silk commodity there goes for about 600-700 florins per turn.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast