Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So....Coolness

Default Re: So....Coolness

What you mean no balanced army wins? I never played warhammer tabletop so I wouldnt know, I just hear that heroes can take out entire regiments and what not with the right equipment, just like the bleeping blood dragons, which take away the whole point of armies.

But still, what do you mean? So you send in the cannon fodder first then follow up with monsterS? Isnt that a waste of potential attack power/meat to hold the enemy while you flank with shock units or your heroes?

Warhammer: Total War Team Member Krazysigmarite's Avatar

In 5th edition Warhammer, heroes were the central point of most warhammer battles and were easily able to take on entire regiments alone.

We are now in 7th edition, which is focused on combined forces - Sure, a dragon is powerful, but is it worth the potential 4-5 core units you could take instead of it? Heroes are also much easier to kill, and sending one against a regiment alone is suicide, unless it's one of those super-expensive faux-pas-to-take-in-a-normal-battle "Unique Heroes" that the army books feature - Archaon, Zacharias the Everliving, etc...
    Last edited by Krazysigmarite; 08-07-2007 at 06:29.

Ahhh so only the uber ones like tyrion can bone entire armies then...I see...

Well I always thought that warhammer had its own different style with each army.

I see Brettonia uses the norm in medieval tactics which was a heavy cavalry charge followed by a peasant rush (WOOO). Then the cavalry wheels around and hits the flank again...unless its dead that is.

I dont know much about the empire... How do they stack up in tactics? I know they are very mechanical when it comes compared to brettonia

This place called Mars... do you know of it?

I don't know much but I'd say the Empire is probably one of the more strait forward armies to use considering the amount of flexibility with them.
    If I had the money and time I'd have either a Tomb Kings army or a Lizardman army. The Skaven are a fun bunch(kinda like a different version of orks I suppose) with their warp cannons blowing themselves and their crews up and misfiring into their own ranks(doh!). And I tend to think the High Elves as an elitist force considering(from what I remember anyways) that their armies on the TT were usually smaller than most but could definitely hold their own.
    "No one said it was gonna be easy! If it was, everyone would do it..that's who you know who really wants it."

All us men suffer in equal parts, it's our lot in life, and no man goes without a broken heart or a lost love. Like holding your dog as he takes his last breath and dies in your arms, it's a rite of passage. Unavoidable. And honestly, I can't imagine life without that depth of feeling.-Bierut

Warhammer: Total War Team Member Krazysigmarite's Avatar

Bretonnia relies on its cheap, but moderately effective infantry to hold down enemy units so its very powerful and numerous heavy cavalry can deliver killing blows. They use very old-school medieval tactics - think Medieval France or England (before the introduction of the welsh longbow.)

The Empire is much more based around infantry, and the selection available to the Empire is far more flexible. Swordsmen are well trained and can easily hold their own against elven units, where halberdiers are able to crush enemy armor and kill orcs more effectively. The Empire also has handgunners, which are devestating ranged units, great for killing heavily armored expensive shock troops. They have a vast selection of very effective artillery, and their Knights are heavily armored and some of the better heavy cavalry available to any faction. The Empire also has its oddball units, Greatswords which are heavily armored shock troops that almost never run, and Flagellants, Crazy Sigmarites which never never run. They've even got mounted skirmishes - Pistoliers and Outriders! Yes, mounted and armoured nobles armed to the teeth in all manner of experimental and sometimes reliable blackpowder weaponry.

The Empire can really use any tactic based on the unit choices, they have such a balanced and flexible army, which is partly the cause of their popularity. The only problem with the Empire's flexibility is the lack of super-soldiers and monsters that many other factions feature. (trolls, ogres, daemons, swordmasters, bone-giants, etc...)

This is assuming we omit the Steam Tank

Yes yes, I understand the part of them using ancient tactics...BUT WHAT THE HECK ARE THESE TACTICS? im sorry I just use hammer and anvil ;P

Quote Originally Posted by DaCrAzYmOfO
    What you mean no balanced army wins? I never played warhammer tabletop so I wouldnt know, I just hear that heroes can take out entire regiments and what not with the right equipment, just like the bleeping blood dragons, which take away the whole point of armies.

But still, what do you mean? So you send in the cannon fodder first then follow up with monsterS? Isnt that a waste of potential attack power/meat to hold the enemy while you flank with shock units or your heroes?
    That is a valid tactic, tire and weaken the enermy then send in the big guys. btw im mostly refering to skaven has they vary so much in size and strengh. Of coarse if your boring you could go bretonia with a tactic thats alredy been used.

Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg
    I had that discussion today, all hung over from an all nighter of Guitar Hero2. I've studied plenty of philosophy and we analysed fantasy role playing games. Especially AD&D and Warhammer.
    Interesting....I had a university professor monitor my PBEM game of WFRP for a while. He was interesting in the motivations behind roleplaying games and why they were so popular. He monitored playing styles and talked with the players. Could not persuade him to take a role in the game though. Which was a shame as I was going to make him some sort of nutty professor from Nuln University, the entire game was based in Nuln at the time.
    Last edited by Didz; 08-15-2007 at 13:04.
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis

oh NOM NOM NOM Member Spankfurt's Avatar

Sound's like you had a good education :)

I play a DE army, and havn't played many battles yet....but 'd llike to think that i use a kind of flanking tactic....with lot's of cavalry...

Anyway, i'm just wondering....what are your view's on the different races' most commonly used strategy's. For instance, Brettonian's rely heavily on powerfull masses of cavalry, with cheap infantry to hold the enemy up.
    ­­well guys, im off like a lepper teste

Hmm... yes traditional medieval warfare with cavalry and what not...yuh I'm more interested in the other crazier tactics like eating people such as the ogres lol, but yeah whats up with the lizards? What do they use? I would suppose they make use of the skinks for hit and runs and finish off with sexxy saurus and kroxigors or a stegadon charge? Or just blast an entire army with the venerable kroak lmao

Sorry for spelling I just typed like crazy lol

Quote Originally Posted by Spankfurt
    Anyway, i'm just wondering....what are your view's on the different races' most commonly used strategy's. For instance, Brettonian's rely heavily on powerfull masses of cavalry, with cheap infantry to hold the enemy up.
    There's no shortage of information available on WFB Army tactic's.

Try this site for a start http://galeb.etf.bg.ac.yu/~tomcat/warhammer/armies.htm

The advice on Lizardmen Armies is to make the most of their masses of ranged and skirmish units. Lizard armies tend to have high range skills and relatively low melee skills so lots of skirmishing around a solid core of heavy units. Sounds a bit like playing with a MTW2 eastern army.
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis

Been playing since 5th ed with the same Orc and Goblin army. :D

Bit angry at how much Goblins got nerfed in the new book though.

I just love the world. Its basically different countries, kingdoms and states from history mashed together in a fantasy setting. Individually each 'side' may not seem very original, but when you consider you can have 16th century Holy Roman Empire infantry fighting undead egyptian chariots its awesome and very fresh.
    I am King of Rome, and above grammar.

I play dwarves and am angry about how goblins got nerfed - my best mate's gobbo horde is no challenge. goblins aren't as tough as they used to be... it was all better in my day... (puffs on pipe)
    Mod leader of Warhammer; Total War

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal_Barca
    I play dwarves and am angry about how goblins got nerfed - my best mate's gobbo horde is no challenge. goblins aren't as tough as they used to be... it was all better in my day... (puffs on pipe)
    Do you guys ever play the gobos with the old rules still?
    "No one said it was gonna be easy! If it was, everyone would do it..that's who you know who really wants it."

All us men suffer in equal parts, it's our lot in life, and no man goes without a broken heart or a lost love. Like holding your dog as he takes his last breath and dies in your arms, it's a rite of passage. Unavoidable. And honestly, I can't imagine life without that depth of feeling.-Bierut

oh NOM NOM NOM Member Spankfurt's Avatar

You could, but that might further mess up other rules....And to get used to it for actual games :P
    ­­well guys, im off like a lepper teste

Quote Originally Posted by Spankfurt
    You could, but that might further mess up other rules....And to get used to it for actual games :P
    True, but sometimes you can have a lotta fun doing that and sometimes come up with hybrid type games. That's always a treat.

My friend once played a game with 4th (I think) ed rules for the O&G. I got pwnt, gobbos had a better statline, were cheaper and had cheaper upgrades.

Either they weren't 4th ed rules or your friend was cheating.

Goblins statlines are pretty much the same in 7th ed as they were in 4th and 5th. However in 6 and as an extension 7th Night Goblins became I3 and LD5, while common goblins became I2 and LD6. 6th ed is I believe the cheapest goblins have been, in 4th and 5th they were 2 1/2 points and their upgrades weren't cheaper, they just had more options. Of course their characters were better, but everyones characters were better than they are now.

But yeah I can't see any reason for GW nerfing goblins in 7th. They are more expensive, don't generate power dice, Night Goblin Shamans have to pay for their mushrooms, netters are worse and more expensive and Goblin chariots are now only one for a single special choice. Greenskins weren't broken in any way, the only real problem of the army was choppa's not being a very attractive option...and that has been fixed. Everything else worked fine, the army was actually quite low down on the power spectrum compared to the vast majority of other WH armies. 7th ed has made Greenskins even weaker for no good reason other than the fact GW are awful at playtesting.
    I am King of Rome, and above grammar.

Could be your God Member Abokasee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krazysigmarite
    In 5th edition Warhammer, heroes were the central point of most warhammer battles and were easily able to take on entire regiments alone.

We are now in 7th edition, which is focused on combined forces - Sure, a dragon is powerful, but is it worth the potential 4-5 core units you could take instead of it? Heroes are also much easier to kill, and sending one against a regiment alone is suicide, unless it's one of those super-expensive faux-pas-to-take-in-a-normal-battle "Unique Heroes" that the army books feature - Archaon, Zacharias the Everliving, etc...
    A black orc warboss with some good wargear to the max can take down a 20 man Empire swordsmen regiment, as long as it attacks first... otherwise, he is screwed, its better just stick him some other black orcs and wade a path of destruction, or stop moving INFRONT of a regiment of 20 dwarven thunderers, and BAM 15 black orcs gone, they run away, and get shot again, and all die...
    Now with transparent layers!

Lost on the Internet? Go back to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1984
    Scottish/Welsh, depending on region, as seen in SotHR... that worked well for me!
    Ah, I'm Welsh! :D That just reminds me of Terry Pratchett drwarfs, XD They're Welsh too. Wouldn't the dwarves be sort of, slavic accents in a way though? Judging by where they live.

I think the Game Workshop only chose a Scottish accent for Dwarves because
    it was more rough than a Norwegian accent (when speaking English)
    But Dwarves having been a myth created by Vikings then they would
    have Norwegian accents.
    Bad idea to have Dwarves with Welsh accent, don't think they'd really
    suite it & the fact it seems to have only been thaught of by a writer
    then that is not enough of a reason to have it. Maybe try Woodelves (if u ever make them
    with Welsh, sry if that seems to be a rediculous idea as I haven't heard
    my Welsh cousins speak in a while so I can barely remember the accent.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnashfang
    Ah, I'm Welsh! :D That just reminds me of Terry Pratchett dwarfs, XD They're Welsh too. Wouldn't the dwarves be sort of, slavic accents in a way though? Judging by where they live.

Some of them are based on the Welsh- Rhys Rhysson in The Fifth Elephant, for example, but alot of them have your generic "Nordic" stylings. I think to be honest Dwarves would have different accents based on whichever mountain or hall they're from. Perhaps time has dulled my memory, but I remember hearing the Dwarves in Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat, and one of the accents one of them had on that was a very gruff, well I suppose you'd call it a Yorkshire accent. To me, that fit just as well as a Scottish accent, which in some instances fits but for me personally it shouldn't be the be all and end all of Dwarven accents. As I said before, I reckon the accents would vary, just like humans.
    Again, I think with Dwarves there's the scope to have all of these accents, and it's definitely highly likely that there'd be a great many with a generic sort of Slavic accent.

As for the suggestion that the Wood Elves would have Welsh accents, well, I agree, but whereas I'd suggest a very thick valleys accent for some Dwarves*, I'd suggest a very well spoken Welsh accent for the Wood Elves- like the ones you can hear that often sound like received pronunciation but do have a definite Welsh lilt in there as well.

*Just thinking about it, perhaps the reason that the gruff Northern English accent and the Welsh valleys accent fit so well in my mind is because of the famous mines in those places and the very common thing about Dwarves and mining. Just a thought.

Well York was a Viking colony in England (& the Vikings continued a little
    from their). Though I can't remember what the accent was like so I can't
    really help judge.. I have a bad memory.. & their r facts that Slav's had
    decended from the Swedish Vikings so that might as well have something
    to do with their accent suiting a Dwarf.

This has become a very international subject, Vikings, Scots, Welsh, Slavs,
    & now English..

I've always imagined Dwarfs as Irish accent...

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Irish? No I couldn't imagine that, they'd be too much like Leprechauns then

Annoying Warhammer know-it-all Member DrZoidberg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pantsalot
    I think the Game Workshop only chose a Scottish accent for Dwarves because
    it was more rough than a Norwegian accent (when speaking English)
    But Dwarves having been a myth created by Vikings then they would
    have Norwegian accents.
    Bad idea to have Dwarves with Welsh accent, don't think they'd really
    suite it & the fact it seems to have only been thaught of by a writer
    then that is not enough of a reason to have it. Maybe try Woodelves (if u ever make them
    with Welsh, sry if that seems to be a rediculous idea as I haven't heard
    my Welsh cousins speak in a while so I can barely remember the accent.
    That's rubbish. They've got Norse helmets but everything else is Welsh miners. So I'd say the dialect fits.
    Sorry you must have been boring. -Dr Zoidberg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12