Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: total war 3????

Somewhere between the sink and the toilet

Grifman, if you read most of my posts on this topic, you'll see that you've taken the words outa my mouth!
    WORMS

Senior Member Senior Member Sir Kuma of The Org's Avatar

Quote Originally posted by Martok:
    "I'm guessing the next Total War will be fantasy based something like The lords of the ring or Star wars."

What's wrong with these ideas? Personally, those are probably the 2 sub-genres I'd favor most, if only to have a break in the historical wargame mode for a while--CA can always come back to history-based games for Total War 4.
    [/QUOTE]

I'm scaring you with my prediction aren't i? . To make matter's worst, for now i'm standing with it (bad, bad, Kuma -gets a slap)

------------------
    La vie est un don.
    What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger

Well, if they are gonna keep the same engine, then the next game should just be "Total War".

Start around ancient Greek times and go to about where medieval: total war ends.

The main campaign map = Almost all of Eurasia, and North Africa. (smaller campaigns could limit it to just certain areas)

Sure it sounds a little grand in scale, but it wouldn't take that many units, and hey they already have most of the mongol/japanese/medieval ones done. A lot of units could be shared, like basic ashis/crappy illtrained spearmen only needs to be two or three units, you don't need a seperate version of each unit for each "country".

If they switch to a new engine they will obviously have to do something more specific.

Grifman you have right, I forgot to say that I belive 50% of my thinking that it will be Rome: Total War or something and 40% I belive that it will be Emperial: Total War and the rest % to others.

But to the one who wants fantasy and Star Wars, please! Go over to Blizzard and Verant and they will give you what u want. Fantasy and Total War dont mix.. =) Thank god it exist games who are based on realism!

(Time to go and play more Shogun: Total War as Shimazu.... He he it never ends and I never getting tierd of it!) =D

------------------
    Cheaters never win and winners never cheat!
    Cheaters never win and winners never cheat - KeePah 1996

gee i only play the demo haven't played shoggy for a long time now.

------------------
    Hirosito Mori

Gentile or Jew
    O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,
    Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
    Hirosito Mori

Hirosito the Baptist of the Babbiest Babe Thread.

Gentile or Jew
    O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,
    Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

Summa Rudis Senior Member Catiline's Avatar

i'm curious as to why people want a game that has such a huge time span. Punic wars to the start of MTW? Sounds crap to me. I want a balanced, focused game, not civ with pretty battles.Campaign playbility is simple to lengthen by reducing the apparent length of turns. Make each turn a months and you've got three times the playtime over STW. I still want to be able to finish a campaign afterall.

MTW seems to be divided into three periods. I'm unclear how much overlap there is between these in terms of unit continuation etc, but even so 500 years is a lot of history. A game that pits Hannibals Elephants against the Huns is IMO pretty pointless in htis context. It might be fun but why dilute what is good about Total war as is. I'd be more than happy to play a fantasy game, but the odds of me buying something pseudo historical wouldn't be great, hence the fact I only looked at AOE etc when they're knocking about free with a new PC. Woohooo, another tech race, hurrah.

I think to retain its integrity the series needs to stay focused on periods like the Sengoku Jidai. Obviously there needs to be the pontential for developing new troop types etc but I'd rather see one period done well than several lumped in together with none done properly

------------------
    Timeo hominem unius libri
    Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra

Thank you Thank you! Maybe Punic: Total War, Mediteranean: Totl War, maybe Trojan: Total War.
    WORMS

pleas...no fantasy.....that would ruin it forever

lets stick to the facts!
    WORMS

hell yea, i dont wanna have to control a group of goblins being attacked by a group of ogars with magical lighting spells ect...maybe instead of the dyniamo from shogun we could have a wizard capable of casting tornados that lift whole units of goblins up in the air.....how about...no

Agreed Cat. In Shogun the timespan was a bit too long for my liking, especially in MI. Whenever I created a campaign I tried to minimize upgrading by having quite large standing armies- tho' the computer would still cheat. (The mortality levels of battles was better in STW2). Racing against one's own mortality would be an interesting challenge, rather than relying on that sickly son to finish the job off. The tech tree will be interesting to see- "aha Leonardo da Vinci has upgraded all my catapults".

Never laugh at the old when they offer counsel,
    Often their words are wise:
    From shriveled skin, from scraggy things

That hand among the hides
    And move amid the guts,
    Clear words often come.

http://asatru.org/havamal.html

Quote Originally posted by Catiline:
    i'm curious as to why people want a game that has such a huge time span. Punic wars to the start of MTW? Sounds crap to me. I want a balanced, focused game, not civ with pretty battles.Campaign playbility is simple to lengthen by reducing the apparent length of turns. Make each turn a months and you've got three times the playtime over STW. I still want to be able to finish a campaign afterall.

MTW seems to be divided into three periods. I'm unclear how much overlap there is between these in terms of unit continuation etc, but even so 500 years is a lot of history. A game that pits Hannibals Elephants against the Huns is IMO pretty pointless in htis context. It might be fun but why dilute what is good about Total war as is. [/QUOTE]

Most aren't talking about a war from Hannibal to MTW, but one encompassing the entire Roman period, about 700 years or so (200BC to 500AD). There's nothing inherently wrong in that. Roman tactics didn't change that much - primarily disciplined infantry based armies - except for the growing emphasis on cavalry as a response to the need for the ability to meet sudden barbarian invasions from the time of middle 200's or so.

You dismiss Carthaginian elephants fighting the Huns - I agree - but I don't see you dismissing a Byzantine invasion of England in MTW - which is just as unlikely. But that could occur in MTW. But that's why it's called a game.

Rome would be a very interesting game, with easily enough "focus" to match MTW.

Grifman

I lot of great ideas. I'm going to have to side with the Roman, Hun, Carthaginian, Vandal type deal. I really think it's the next step in the series. But lets not be too harsh on our comrades who would like a fantasy-pixy-ogre deal. Well not *too* hard.
    WORMS

Summa Rudis Senior Member Catiline's Avatar

In those 700 years hte changes in Roman tactics were massive. The longest period you could stretch out of it is about 300 without significant tactical changes, and even hten you're stretching hte envelope. I get your point about the Byzantine invasion of England, but frankly htat just confirms my fears about MTW as is.

------------------
    Timeo hominem unius libri
    Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra

Quote Originally posted by Emp. Conralius:
    But lets not be too harsh on our comrades who would like a fantasy-pixy-ogre deal. Well not *too* hard.[/QUOTE]

i think we should be EXTREMLY HARD on them. id prefer to control a armie of cavlary and longbowmen then to control goblins backed up by pixies and fairys.

F*** fantasy!!!

Long live the Hives!!!!

I think CA have enough brain power to realise that fantasy suck, and facts rule.

------------------
    I am the law and you can't beat the law.
    I am the law and you can't beat the law.

you guys are showing no mercy!
    WORMS

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Emp. Conralius:
    you guys are showing no mercy!

Absolutly, Not enough good historical games and too many bad fantasy games.

Long live the Hives.

Senior Member Senior Member The Black Ship's Avatar

I would love to see a Rome:Total War title, for all the reasons stated previously.

However, another great idea would be a dark ages series, but starting with a still existant Western Roman Empire. Take the game from the 4th Century on up to the Early era of the MTW. That way I could turn the fortunes of Rome and re-establish it's glory...plus spank those arrogant Eastern Romans (they're so uppity!).
    All we are saying....is give peas a chance - Jolly Green Giant

Quote Originally posted by KeePah:
    But I'll guess that TW3 would be Emperial: Total war. Europe 1500-1800. That would be a very great game. And if it will come true the Swedes will be in the game as Sweden was the greatest militaristic country in the world 1600 to 1750. [/QUOTE]

KeePah, I more and more believe this should be the one I would most like to see. I think the period should include the Napoleonic wars 1812. There should also be tactical naval battles.

About the Swedes. Even today, people in Germany remember the so called "Schwedentrunk" or swedes-drink. It was a nasty way how swedes would kill their prisoners during the 30 years war 1618-1648. The correct technique was to open the mouth with a wooden wedge and force them to drink liquid manure until they were dead.

Rome is the most likely, and it would be good, too. I'd take a non-Roman nation just because they're number 2 on my Most Love to Hate list after the Mongols.

Rome is the next step
    WORMS

I can live with Rome, but thats alot of factions.

Rome would be a great game. Ít's very likely to happen too. You know why? It could be easily released as an add-on for MTW. The strategic map is already there. Well, almost. I even think its possible there'll be a Rome mod by the community.

Ancient Empires: Total War . . . everything from Sumer to Greece! (with Rome as an expansion pack, mebbe)

Quote Originally posted by Stephen Hummell:
    F*** fantasy!!!

Long live the Hives!!!!
    [/QUOTE]

------------------
    untouchable, unbreakable,elven spirit,Elven soul
    Abandon all hope.

I'm all for fantasy, myself. But mayaps we should save it for TW4 and put the Absolutist period (1454-1800ish) in for TW3. The fall of Constantinople to Waterloo.
    Why do I always cut the RED wire?

I think that for totalwar 11 we should have a new age kinda theme... homos against hetros. btw why are we looking so far into the future....?

MJDoré

PS. Lets just be happy with M: TW

1300 mhz Duron, 512 DDR3200, 128mb GeForce4mx 440

I think the add-on for MTW would be maybe the late Romans (circa 430AD), the Goths, Huns, Anglo-Saxons, Burgundians, Franks, Teutons, Vandals. Ya know (as a on on) some dark age civs.
    WORMS

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast