Thread: "The Sons of Gaul" An Aedui AAR

Default "The Sons of Gaul" An Aedui AAR

Prologue: The End of Civil War and the Unification of Gaul

“You ask about the Civil War my friend? Well, I’m afraid there isn’t very much to say. For all their boasts about how their king was their god made flesh, they were surprisingly weak on the field of battle. Perhaps their god was not a god of war? But this is just speculation, you asked for facts not the ramblings of an old man. All that really matters is that the Arverni were crushed in shot order. Their armies fleeing before the armies of the mighty Vergobret Cocolitanos. Fortunatly for the Arverni, the Vergobret was as compassionate as he was wise. Instead of allowing the wholesale slaughter of the rebels, he instead found a use for their warlike ways. Instead of being sacrificed to the gods, the surviving Arverni were sent to a remote province south of the great mountains, were they could rule as they saw fit, far away from the heart of Gaul.”

“I’m afraid there really isn’t much else I could tell you. I know from your people’s history you would probably love to hear the details of every battle fought, of every heroes triumph and of every villains defeat, but unfortunately I cannot oblige. In a civil war such as ours there are no heroes, no great battles, and every fallen soldier was killed by a brother. It was a long dark time for our people, but as all things must, it too, came to an end.”

-Valetiacos moc Budic, speaking to the Roman governor of Bononia 268 B.C.

“When the Great Civil War was finally declared over almost 40 years ago the Aedui Confederacy entered into a an age of peace and prosperity the likes of which had not been seen in centuries. After the decisive defeat of the Arverni, many of the remaining “free” tribes of Gaul quickly and peacefully joined the Confederacy, nearly doubling the amount of territory under our protection. Unfortunately some tribes did not see the need for Gaul to present a united front to her enemies. This led to the very minor “Unification Wars” which just ended some 10-15 years ago, and left the Aedui Confederacy as the undisputed power in Gaul.”

“Unfortunately, more land to govern means more expenses and to this end the Vergobret sought to bring the rich Alpine mines under the control of the Council. What worries me the most about this course of action is the ever increasing Roman interest in those mines. While there have been no major incidents yet, the Romans are a very aggressive people and we must always be on our guard that they don’t stab us in the back.”

-Vertico oi Ehrain, speaking to Ambon Lusotanakum, Chieftain of Lusotannan 233 B.C.

Coming next time:
    Chapter 1: Betrayal!
    Wherein a peace is broken
    A young general marches to war
    And hopefully more...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello everybody, this is my first attempt at an AAR so any feedback (positive or negative) is most welcome. Sorry about no pictures, but trust me, the battles against the Arverni were short and boring. The first update should contain pictures of battles against much more interesting opponents.

Handler of candles Member Xehh II's Avatar

Default Re: "The Sons of Gaul" An Aedui AAR

Sound promising, I'm looking forward to the rest.
    A ha ha! Rainbows and unicorns! Rainbows and unicorns!

An Imperfect Follower of Light Member Wolfman's Avatar

Very good indeed!
    Tales of Gods and Kings - An Arverni AAR-DEAD
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...82#post1930882
    A People of the Mist - Casse AAR-ALIVE!!!!
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...Mist-Casse-AAR

Chapter 1: Betrayal!

Part 1: A City Rebels

Nammeios awoke with a start. He listened for a moment. Nothing but wind, grumbling to himself he turned over, and then turned over again trying to get comfortable on the hard rocky ground. Just think, he could be “training” back in Bibracte, but no, he just had to start right away, and look where he was, stuck in the middle of nowhere watching some backwater Roman mining town. Oh well at least the pay is good he thought to himself, drifting back to sleep. Then he heard it again, he was sure of it this time, the sounds of fighting. Now he was wide awake, there shouldn’t be fighting here, the Romans had pacified this area months ago and as far as he knew, the Council had no designs on the area. So what was going on?

He scrambled to his feet and made his way to the mouth of the cave that had been his home for the past few weeks. He could see the gray light of dawn at the eastern end of the valley, and towards the west, he saw a village in flames. Wait, Nammeios looked again, this couldn’t be, it wasn’t the village that was in flames, it was the Roman III legion’s fort that was burning. To the south he saw the end of a great battle, the Triarii bravely holding off a seething mass of miners as the remains of the III legion retreated, presumably back to Italy.

Nammeios was elated. He had been sent here to watch the Romans and make sure they weren’t preparing an assault on the Confederacy’s holdings in the area, but if the Romans were truly defeated by these rebels he would get to go home, at least for a little while. He went back into his cave, got his meager possessions together, and decided to wait until the afternoon to leave, so as to let the battle fully play itself out. No use getting killed this close to going home.

The midday sun was high in the sky by the time Nammeios ventured down into the valley to begin the journey home. He walked though the now empty battlefield, counting many more dead Romans than miners. He passed near the remains of the Roman fort and for the second time that day Nammeios couldn’t believe his eyes. High above the fort, where the flag of the Republic had flown until this morning was a new flag, but this was a flag that Nammeios knew well. A red boar’s head against a dark green field, the flag of the Confederacy.

Part 2: A Leader Returns

Ahhh, it sure is good to be back on dry land, thought Ollovico as his ship entered the harbor near Cenabum. For the past few years he had been campaigning against the Goidils, seeking to secure their entrance into the Confederacy. A few months ago he had finally been successful, and after being crowned King of the Goidils he was finally on his way home.

As Ollovico stepped off his ship a cloaked figure took him aside. Ollovico recognized the man’s clothes as the garb of a servant of the Druids.

“Look, I will go to Ogmioterian Odemorix as soon as I can and present the Council with what is theirs.” said Ollovico, brushing the man aside and turning to head back to his ship. The man placed a restraining hand on his shoulder.

“I’m not here about that, Vergobret. Something far more important that your …indiscretions has come to the attention of the Druids. The city of Iuvavoaeta has rebelled.”

“Isn’t that a good thing? The loss of that city only serves to weaken the Roman presence in the Alps.”

“You would be correct Vergobret, if not for one important detail. The city has declared for the Confederacy.”

“What?” cried Ollovico incredulously, “Did they petition the Council for aid?”

“No, the news has only just reached the Druid’s ears that the flag of the Confederacy now flies over the city.”

“You know what this means right? War with Rome will come, sooner than even I would have predicted. The Council’s precious peace is shattered.” Ollovico said, barely able to keep the contempt from his voice.

“Of course we are aware of that, that is why you must immediately go before the Council and decide on a course of action.”

“We don’t have time for the Council to decide on a course of action, we have to act now.” Ollovico said grabbing the man by the shoulders, “Can I trust you? Will you do as your Vergobret commands?”

“Do I have a choice?”

“No, you do not. What I need you to do is find my son in Bibracte. Tell him to take 500 of his best men and head to Aventicos. There he is to hire as many of the Helvetii as he can. Once that is done he is to head to Iuvavoaeta and do his best to hold off the Romans. Tell him I will follow with the army as soon as I can.”

“You realize that the Council will not be happy with you acting without consulting them again.”

“I will deal with the Council after I’ve driven the Romans to the ends of the earth!” replied Ollovico.

Part 3: Exactly Where are We?

“Brennos, where in Teutais’s name are we?”

“Honestly Riankiadoc I have no idea.”

Riankiadoc sighed. They had been chasing the Romans south from Iuvavoaeta for days now and they were no closer to catching them then before. All that he knew was that they were almost out of the Alps, which meant they must be deep in Roman territory. Yet still no sign of the Roman army.

“Has Nammeios gotten back from his scouting mission yet?” Riankiadoc asked.

“If he has he hasn’t reported-“

“Sir, sir I have news!” yelled a voice off to Riankiadoc’s left.

“Yes Nammeios, what is it?” inquired Riankiadoc.

“I know where we are! We are only a few miles east of the Roman city of Patavium.”

“Well at least we know where we are now.” said Brennos.

“That’s not all sirs, it seems that there is a Roman army stationed in the city, and they seemed to have caught wind of our presence, they’re marching on our position as we speak.”

“Finally, a battle against worthy opponents.” cried Brennos.

“Quiet down Brennos. Nammeios, how long until they reach us?” asked Riankiadoc.

“Not more than a day sir”

“That should be enough time. Nammeios, I want you to head north. Find my father and tell him of our situation, also, tell him that we still haven’t found the III Legion yet.”

“Very well sir.” And with that Nammeios was gone, vanishing into the woods as quickly as he had appeared.

“Well, Brennos it looks like you will finally have your fight, though it’s not against those we thought it would be.”

“Bah, I should think all Romans die the same.” replied Brennos gleefully.

With that they rode back to camp to inform their troops of the approaching battle.

Part 4: Finally a Fight!

"So your telling me that we're just going to stand here and wait for them to come to us"

"Yes Brennos, thats exactly what we're going to do. I've been talking to the Helvetii Captain, and thats the way they fight. You really don't expect them to charge at the enemy with those huge spears do you?" replied Riankiadoc.

"I still don't like it." sulked Brennos.

"Don't worry Brennos, you will still get your chance to face the Romans in battle, you'll just have to wait a little longer."

The sounds of Roman battle horns filled the air. "Well, it looks like they're coming, ready Brennos?" asked Riankiadoc.

"Of course I'm ready, its the Romans you should worry about!" cried Brennos, riding off to join his calvary wing.

"I do old friend, I do." replied Riankiadoc as he rode after him.

"I'm disappointed in these Romans. They haven't even broken our lines yet, at this rate I'll never get to fight."

"Have patience Brennos, soon enough we will go after their General, besides I doubt these common soldiers would prove to be a match for you." Riankiadoc said.

"Look Riankiadoc, even their best flee before us! This battle will be over soon."

"For some reason Brennos, I think that even you would flee before the Gaesatae." Riankiadoc said laughing.

"Brennos, get your men and come with me, the General and his calvary have decided to show themselves, it's time to fight."

"Finally," said Brennos, "FOR GAUL!!!!" he screamed charging off into the enemy.

The calvary met with the clash of steel and the screams of men and horses. The Roman horse was more numerous than Riankiadoc's and Brennos's men, but there were few in the western world that could stand up to the charge of of a hundred screaming Brihentin. The Roman horse lasted longer than most, but in the end the Brihentin were victorious once again, the Roman General valiantly leading the "rearward advance" of his army.

"The way to Patavium is clear now Riankiadoc, we should march on the city and claim it for the Confederacy."

"Calm down Brennos, in case you've forgotten our job was to find and destroy the III Legion. They're still somewhere up in the mountains, and I don't like the thought of being caught between them and the Romans in the Po Valley."

"Well then, what do you think we should do?"

"We wait. My father should be up in those mountains by now, with the army. If he can find the III Legion, I don't see why we couldn't march on Roma herself.

The state of the Eastern Alps, 227 B.C.

Well, here is my first update, I hope you guys enjoy it. I would also like to thank those that commented. Any suggestions would be welcome.
    Last edited by SkaMan402; 07-09-2007 at 20:28.

i like the way this is set out, nice way of telling the story. Keep up the good work!

I do enjoy the Barbarian Factions i have only played as them so far Keep it up ITs really good. Its a shame you didnt start from the beginning i always like those but im just fickle like that.

forward to rome me friend
    As I walked through the Glenshane Pass I heard a young girl mourn
    The boy form Tamlaghtduff 'she cried 'is two years dead and gone'
    How my heart is torn apart this young man to lose
    Oh I'll never see the likes again of my young Francis Hughes ....

WOW! dude how did u manage to keep the Romans from invading you?????

I've playing with the Aedui in 4 ocasions (since .74) and everytime the Romani are on my tail around 268bc.

Well, I gave them a regular tribute of 200 minai a turn for a long time, but I think the main factor was that I didn't share any borders with them until a few turns before the AAR starts. In my experience the best best way to maintain peace with an AI faction is to offer them a small amount of regular tribute and to not share any borders with them.

Questor of AI revenue. Member The Errant's Avatar

A very good start. Interesting approach. Starting the AAR in mid campaign. Keep it up.

"If you listen, carefully. You can hear the Gods laughing."

Last words of Emperor Commodus. From "The Fall of the Roman Empire".

Quote Originally Posted by SkaMan402
    Well, I gave them a regular tribute of 200 minai a turn for a long time, but I think the main factor was that I didn't share any borders with them until a few turns before the AAR starts. In my experience the best best way to maintain peace with an AI faction is to offer them a small amount of regular tribute and to not share any borders with them.
    hum..... I should try that next time...

Chapter 2: The Death of a Legion

Part 1: Well Look What I've Found

Why did everything have to be so hard Nammeios thought to himself as he trudged though the forest in the dim light of dusk. He was afraid to move during the day because he still didn’t know where the III Legion was and he wasn’t about to get captured. Of course mountain terrain wasn’t really conductive to moving about at night, but it was better than rotting in some Roman cell. A few more days and he would be back in Confederacy territory. Even if he still had to move at night, at least he knew the area, he would cover ground a lot more quickly.

His thoughts drifted back to the south, to Riankiadoc and Brennos. The battle would be over by now for better or worse. The Roman force was smaller than theirs, but Nammeios had heard some frightful tales about the Roman legions. He hoped that Riankiadoc and Brennos were okay.

A sudden sound shook Nammeios out of his reverie. His listened closely, it was the sounds of a camp. He could hear men shouting and dogs barking, but he wasn’t quite close enough to hear what anybody was saying. Finally, he thought to himself, I’ve found the Vergobret and his army I’m safe now. He began hurrying to the edge of the trees, when some of his training started to kick in and he stopped, still hidden in the edge of the forest. He listened once more and his fears were realized. The voices were shouting in the harsh, gutteral language of the Romans not the language of his countrymen. Flitering above the camp he saw a flag, in the fading light he could make out the words “Legio III”. Well, Nammeios thought, I’ve finally found the III Legion.

Part 2: The Thoughts of a Cornered Man

Spvrius Antistivs Aemilianvs was not happy. The past few months had been complete hell for him and his men. First there had been that damnable uprising in Iuvavoaeta, the rebels attacking at night, the only way he could have lost to such rabble. Now here he was, stranded in the middle of the Alps, trying to make it back to Rome. He knew he was being pursed by at least one army of the Aedui Confederacy, but according to his scouts that army had somehow gotten lost and ended up farther south then his legion, cutting off his route to Patavium, but at least they weren’t aware of his location.

Not all was bad for the Romans though. By pure chance they had run into elements of the II Legion who were sent to support the III Legion’s eventual push into Gaul. The III Legion now outnumbered the pursuing Gauls by a fair margin, and Spvrius was certain that Roman training and discipline would carry the day if he were forced to give battle.

One small detail worried Spvrius immensely. All reports indicated that the army that chased him from Iuvavoaeta was not in fact accompanied by the Vergobret. This want against everything Spvrius knew about the Ollovico. It was no secret that the Vergobret harbored a deep hatred for the Romans, and Spvirus was certain that he would be at the head of the Confederacy’s forces. This led Spvirus to only one conclusion: the Vergobret was at the head of yet another army and was most likely somewhere in the Alps. Spvirus knew he could handle at least one of the Confederacy’s armies, but two, with one being led by the Vergobret of the Aedui Confederacy? Spvirus was not looking forward to the coming weeks.

Part 3: Exactly What Happened to Them?

“They got what?” cried Ollovico unbelieving.

“They got lost Vergobret, while chasing the III Legion” replied Nammeios

“So where are they now?”

“Not far form the city of Patavium, they’ve met the Romans in battle.” said Nammeios.

“Don’t tell me they assaulted the city.” sighed Ollovico

“Not to my knowledge Vergobret, the Romans rode forth to meet them in the field, the battle probably started about a day after I left them.” said Nammeios.

“Oh, well I’m sure that Riankiadoc can handle a simple field engagement.” said Ollovico sounding quite relieved, “You say they never found the III Legion correct?”

“Yes, but I don’t think that’s important, Riankiadoc and Brennos, they might need your help.” said Nammeios.

“I should think not,” replied the Vergobret “if Riankiadoc needed my aid, he would have told you to ask for it. And as for Brennos, well I doubt Teutatis would allow such a man to die, at least not against opponents such as the Romans.” He practically spit out that last word. “More important is that I find the III Legion before they can make it back to Roma, and before they can surprise my son. You said something about knowing their location.”

“Yes, I uh, almost ran into them on my way to find you. When I saw them they were camped in this valley here.” Nammeios said, pointing to map on the table between them. “I saw them not even a week ago, chances are they are still there.”

“Very well, we shall move at first light. Nammeios I want you to return to Riankiadoc and inform him of our plans, tell him to hang on for just a bit longer, that I should be there within a month.”

“As you command Vergobret, but I feel I must warn you. When I observed the II Legion, it wasn’t the same legion that fled Iuvavoaeta, It seems that they somehow met up with at least part of another legion.” Nammeios warned.

“That just leaves me more Romans to kill now doesn’t it?” Ollovico said darkly, his fists clenched in a dark rage.

Nammeios, knowing better than to speak when the Vergobret was in this mood, quickly fled into the darkness of the night, feeling sorry for the men of the III Legion.

Part 4: A Lonely Grave

Ollovico stood alone in a small fenced off plot of land outside Iuvavoaeta. He was surrounded by stones, each stone bearing nothing but a number. The stones must have been placed here recently, because the Romans would never have allowed even a pitiful monument such as this to remain. Earlier that day while talking with leaders of the force that had driven out the Romans he was told of this site. When the Romans first invaded Iuvavoaeta there were thirteen men who led the fight against them. There were thirteen stones in this field. Before the rebellion there were thirteen crosses at the gates to Iuvavoaeta. Thirteen bodies slowly decaying in the cool mountain air.

After the rebellion the bodies had been cut down and given a proper burial and these thirteen stones had been placed in order to commemorate those brave men. Many years ago, before Ollovico set sail for Goidilic lands he needed someone he could send to speak to the Norici, the tribe that controlled this area, about the possibility of an alliance against the Romans. He had trusted no one more than his own son, who though young, was known thought Gaul for his skill a speaking. Earlier that day the leader of the rebellion had placed a hand on Ollovico’s shoulder and told him that his son had died bravely, with a sword in his hand and a song on his lips. He died a true son of Gaul. Ollovico looked down at the stone labeled thirteen, tears freely flowing.

It must end here he thought to himself, never again will I allow the life of my countrymen, the life of my kin, to fall victim to Roman greed. To hell with the Council and their precious peace, I will hound them to the ends of the earth if I must, but I will not stop until every last Roman is dead!

Part 5: You Mean We Missed the Fight?

Ollovico looked out over the field counting the numerous dead bodies decaying in the afternoon sun. From what he could see, there were many more dead Romans than Celts. He couldn't stop a smile from creeping on to his face.

"So Riankiadoc, this is what remains of the III Legion, eh?" he asked the figure standing next to him.

"Yes it is father." replied Riakiadoc.

"I want you to tell me everything."

"Gladly..."

"The first mistake the Romans made was to attack our flank, thinking it would be the weakest part of our line. Their Hastati fell in droves against the Gaesatae."

"Once again the Mori Gaesum proved their worth. They held off repeated assaults from the Roman elite, and they never broke once."

"While we were maneuvering into a position from which to attack the Roman General, Brennos got a little excited and charge straight into a company of the Romans elite heavy infantry. I was afraid that I had lost him for a moment, but he managed to get out of their with most of his force intact. Of course the same couldn't be said for the enemy."

"While we were off chasing the Roman General, some Triarii managed to break open one of the Helvetii phalanxes. When I saw this I almost turned the calvary around to help them, but then I noticed that they actually seemed to be winning. Outnumbered and out of formation, they still managed to hold the line. The Helvetii are very valuable allies."

"Try as they might the Romans simply couldn't break the Helvetii lines."

"The Romans did win a small victory this day. Roman allies managed to surround and slaughter a group of Gaesatae. Fitting that the only Roman troops capable of standing up to us are their allies."

"We did it father, we killed Spvrius and slaughtered his guard. It did take longer than I had expected, and our flank was in dire straits by the time we were done."

"Not for long though."

"So he is dead then?" questioned Ollovico

"I slew him with my own spear." affirmed Riankiadoc.

"I was hoping for that joy myself." murmured Ollovico.

"I'm sure there will be other Roman Generals for you to kill father." Riankiadoc said assuringly. "Well, what should we do now?"

"Well, winter is fast approaching. If we head back in to the mountains now we would surely become trapped by the snow. Our only choice is to make camp here and wait until spring." replied Ollovico.

"And what then?" asked Riankiadoc.

"We crush the Romans at Patavium. From there we will begin our assault on Roma herself!"
    Last edited by SkaMan402; 07-10-2007 at 20:54.

Nice update, looking foward to your conquest of Italy!

Pincushioned Ashigaru Member Poulp''s Avatar

hoho ?
    a new AAR ?

I like the way it is told. You managed to expose clearly the context and then, the dialogues and screenshots make your narrative vivid.

keep on the good work.

I can't wait for the sacking of Rome!

That was one smooth battle....

Keep up the good work!
    "Δῶς μοι πᾶ στῶ καὶ τὰν γᾶν κινάσω"~~Archimedes

An Interlude: The Heart of Winter

Part 1: By Teutatis, I Hate the Cold

Nammeios draw his cloak up around his shoulders, man was it cold out here. How he wished he was back in camp, around a nice warm fire, but here it was out in the highlands trying to get a count of the Roman forces in the area. From what he had seen so far there were about two Roman legions spread out into camps along Po River. Their numbers were quite impressive but Nammeios wasn’t worried. He had yet to see Riankiadoc or Ollovico face defeat in battle, so he saw no reason that these Romans could be any different. There certainly wouldn’t be any problems if Ollovico could get the Council to send reinforcements, but Nammeios had a feeling that that wasn’t going to be as simple as it sounded. Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that the Druidic advisors that accompanied generals on any major campaign were suspiciously absent from this particular venture. Now that he thought about it, nothing about this campaign seemed normal. For one thing, none of the regular army generals were here. Sure, Riankiadoc was turning into a fine leader, but he was still far to young to have been entrusted with a major campaign such as this one. Bah, who cares thought Nammeios. I’m cold, tired, hungry, and it’s starting to snow. If I hurry I can make it back to camp in under a week. He had seen all he needed to see out here and the lure of a warm fire and a semi-decent meal was quite strong. Gathering his cloak as high up his shoulders as it could go he disappeared in the white of the falling snow.

Part 2: And They Weren't Even Wearing Pants

“Just what exactly are you saying?” said a hooded figure seated at a table bearing a map of the Po Valley, with various markers representing Roman forces and various barbarian rabble.

“The III Legion has been destroyed, Consul.” said a figure standing before the table, his hands and voice trembling with fear.

“The III Legion, Roma’s finest, destroyed, and by a handful of pantless barbarians no less? Is this what you are saying?” the figure’s voice calm and even, never once changing in volume or tone.

“Y-y-yes, sir, they engaged a group of the barbarians east of Patavium, and were very nearly wiped out.” Said the man, now sweating profusely.

“Hmmm,” mused the figure, “The city still stands I hope?”

“Yes, though our scouts have reported that the barbarians have begun work on siege equipment, so it is likely they will attack soon, when the spring thaws come.”

“Why wait until spring?” wondered the figure, “surely they must realize that they have us severely outnumbered in that area, they would be foolish not to press that advantage.”

“Well,” stared the man, not sure if he was permitted to speak but, since he wasn’t dead yet he figured he might as well go on, “Some of our umm, prisoners have informed us that it has to do with some barbarous religious notion. Apparently now is the only time a barbarian is afraid to die, so therefore they don’t make war.”

“Interesting how these barbarians let religion control their lives so. Well, I believe that will be all, you may go.”

“Yes, Consul.” and with that the man fled the room as fast as his legs would carry him.

Part 3: An (Almost) Premature Ending

All of the sudden, the door burst open and in swept a gust of cold winter air along with seven figures. Ollovico looked up from his maps and carefully surveyed the intruders. Six were heavily armed and armored, their horned helmets marking them as followers of the “horned god”, that could only mean that the cloaked figure in their midst was a druid, and a fairly powerful one at that, to warrant six of the Carnutes as bodyguards. It looked like the Council had finally caught up with the Vergobret.

“Well, its seems the Council has finally decided to bless this campaign with their presence.” said Ollovico amicably.

“You could not be farther from the truth Vergobret,” the cloaked figure said measurably, “Did you really think the Council would let you ignore them for so long?”

“I’m only doing what has to be done,” replied Ollovico, “the Council must see by now that the war with the Romans is necessary for our very survival!”

“The Council does not question your actions Vergobret, only your methods. We are not heretic Arveni swine,” at this remark Riankiadoc who had been seated beside his father looked up sharply, fire in his eyes, held back only by his father’s restraining hand on his shoulder. “You are no god-king Ollovico, you are merely a Vergobret, and you must submit to the will of the Council!” the druid’s voice had risen to a shout, and he now spoke in a softer voice, “and the will of the Council is that you return to Ogmioteriam Odemorix with me to stand trial for the crime of high treason against the Aedui Confederacy.”

“I’m afraid I cannot do that Councilman, as I still have unfinished business with the Romans.” With that the Vergobret let out a long howl, like a lone wolf signaling to his comrades, which in fact was exactly what he was doing.

Within seconds ten hulking Gaesatae had flooded in through the side entryways and had surrounded their leader. Ollovico still could not get over the sight of these men actually wearing clothes, but it was very cold out, and they weren’t preparing for battle. The Carnutes drew their weapons but did not attack. Each side stared warily at the other for what seemed like an eternity.

“Come now Vergobret, do you really mean to fight me, a member of the Council?” the cloaked figure chuckled.

“I will fight anybody who gets between me and the Romans.” Ollvico assured him.

“Hmph. Your conviction runs that deep does it? Your hatred of the Romans so strong that you would threaten a member of the Council. That may just be enough to allow you to defeat them, and I will not deny that the Council would love to see the Romans become members of the Confederacy. Perhaps, perhaps the trial can wait. Who knows, I may even be able to convince the Council to send you reinforcements and supplies, but we shall see about that.” With that the druid turned on his heel and walked out into the cold night air. The Carnutes spared one last look at the Gaesatae and then they too departed into the night.

Ollovico sighed in relief, he would be able to continue his fight against the Romans.

Sorry about the lack of battles this update, but I've been quite busy and have found myself unable to find the time to actually play EB. Hopefully though I will be able to do some playing over the weekend and include those battles in the next update. Thank you for reading and enjoy!
    Last edited by SkaMan402; 07-14-2007 at 04:42.

......don't @#$! with the Gaesatae.....

Great update!
    "Δῶς μοι πᾶ στῶ καὶ τὰν γᾶν κινάσω"~~Archimedes

the Gaesatae are the *@#!

Like it very much! While reading I was hoping he would kill the Council and continue the war illegaly. That would be badass! Hehe.